• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I thought you don't have a legal obligation to help anyone unless you're either a doctor or put them in danger surely? Cause I'm not putting myself in danger trying to help an idiot.
There is no laws stating that you HAVE to help someone. I specifically remember this because there was a story a few years back about a mentally unstable person who was driven to suicide and he walked out into a lake to drown himself meanwhile some near by teenagers laughed and mocked him as they watched him die. The police got involved but they literally couldn't find any laws on the books that would legally allow them to charge the teenagers with failing to help the man out.
Yes you can.

At the very least when that guy started vaping his ass would have been going back into the water.
I think the Good Samaritan Law only protects you from being sued or charged if you *do* try to help but it goes bad. There's the Duty of Care, but I'm not sure if it's law as such.
Here are the states with legal repercussions for not helping someone in trouble and their exact explanations:

However, some states have laws that do impose a duty to assist people in need. These laws do vary from state to state:

1. Wisconsin -- In Wisconsin, if you know that a crime is being committed, and that a victim has suffered or may suffer bodily harm, you have a duty to call police or provide assistance
  2. Minnesota -- If you are at the scene of an emergency and you know that someone has suffered grave physical harm, or could be hurt, you have a duty to give "reasonable assistance." Reasonable assistance can mean calling or attempting to call police or medical personnel.
  3. Rhode Island -- If you know that person is a victim of sexual assault, murder, manslaughter, or armed robbery and you were at the scene of the crime, then you need to report the crime to law enforcement. Failure to do so is punishable by up to six months in jail or a fine of $500 to $1,000.
  4. California -- When you reasonably know or believe that a child under 14 years of age has been a victim of murder, rape, or lewd and lascivious acts, you must notify law enforcement. Failure to do so is excused if you feared for your own safety, or you are related to either the victim or the offender.
  5. Florida -- In Florida, if you witness a sexual battery, you need to immediately report the offense to law enforcement. Violation of this law is a first degree misdemeanor.
Other states that have similar statutes include Ohio, Massachusetts, Vermont, Hawaii, and Washington.

Most people think the willingness to help others in an emergency is a moral choice. It is, but it also has legal consequences, so it is helpful to understand the law in your area so you can make the best choice possible if you are ever in this situation.

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Surely there's not a specific law for slowly driving the boat five feet away anytime they get close so long as you let them in, like, eventually. Your feet just slipped on the pedal, you know, a lot.

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
clown.png

clown.png

clown.png

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I would've picked them up and driven them somewhere out of their way just to inconvenience them in the way they've inconvenienced me, but I'm spiteful like that.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
This seems too amazing to be real. If it is, fuck, the sweet smell of karma. (In spite of the pictorial presence of Mr Butt Snorkel.)

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So the guy shit his pants then rubbed his shit-in pants all over their boat?

These people are fucking GARBAGE

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should have drove circles around them while they were in the water, waving their pride flags.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
All these posts about the legal obligation to render aid made me realize that citizens have a higher threshold of public service than cops do.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't think I would have let people that were directly angry and hostile towards me onto my boat.

I really, really doubt they were legally obligated to stay and rescue them and allow them on the boat. I'd guess they were probably legally obligated to call for help and notify the authorities.

I'm aware of no state law that obligates someone to put themselves into a potientially dangerous and unsafe situation. And those people were certainly acting hostile on video before the boat blew up.

Plus those people had life jackets on.
"Sorry officer, we where being verbally abused and threatened, we feared for our safety."
exactly

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I would have eventually saved them from the water, but not before I let them swim to my boat and then drove forward a little bit let them swim to my boat and then drove forward a little bit more again.

Repeat that about a dozen times and then I would have grudgingly allowed them to get on my boat.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Someone wearing a Butt Snorkler shirt and screaming gay insults has to be in denial about their sexuality.

RaphaBE

Sep 19, 2020
California
Trash people who don't deserve any better, but shame on anyone claiming that they wouldn't have rescued them. It's the right thing to do. Once that's done, it's time to shame them and publicly share the incident - exactly as the rescuers did.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Drowning is high on my list of "most horrifying ways to die", so I'm glad they helped the assholes out.

Also makes it a hell of a lot more embarrassing for them too.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Here are the states with legal repercussions for not helping someone in trouble and their exact explanations:

However, some states have laws that do impose a duty to assist people in need. These laws do vary from state to state:

1. Wisconsin -- In Wisconsin, if you know that a crime is being committed, and that a victim has suffered or may suffer bodily harm, you have a duty to call police or provide assistance
  2. Minnesota -- If you are at the scene of an emergency and you know that someone has suffered grave physical harm, or could be hurt, you have a duty to give "reasonable assistance." Reasonable assistance can mean calling or attempting to call police or medical personnel.
  3. Rhode Island -- If you know that person is a victim of sexual assault, murder, manslaughter, or armed robbery and you were at the scene of the crime, then you need to report the crime to law enforcement. Failure to do so is punishable by up to six months in jail or a fine of $500 to $1,000.
  4. California -- When you reasonably know or believe that a child under 14 years of age has been a victim of murder, rape, or lewd and lascivious acts, you must notify law enforcement. Failure to do so is excused if you feared for your own safety, or you are related to either the victim or the offender.
  5. Florida -- In Florida, if you witness a sexual battery, you need to immediately report the offense to law enforcement. Violation of this law is a first degree misdemeanor.
Other states that have similar statutes include Ohio, Massachusetts, Vermont, Hawaii, and Washington.

Most people think the willingness to help others in an emergency is a moral choice. It is, but it also has legal consequences, so it is helpful to understand the law in your area so you can make the best choice possible if you are ever in this situation.

I think there may be more specific laws for maritime situations.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this makes me think the universe has a sense of humor

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I would have picked them up.

It would have taken a lot of convincing from the other people on my boat.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017

Oh thank god my state doesn't include that nonsense. Also loving how the reporting a child rape/murder is waived because you're related. Like...wow.

I'd call the police sure but letting them on my boat fuck no.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Should have partied it up as loud and gay as possible. I'd keep them on the boat for an hour just going around celebrating that queer lifestyle for their benefit.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
If someone was shouting gay slurs at me no way in hell I would let them into my boat. Not out of pettiness (that too, obvs) but out of self preservation interest. I might be a minority, but I'm not dumb. So interested to know the answer to this.
Yeah fuck them. FL has a Stand your ground law. I'd feel threatened if I was them. "they obviously hate me, what's to stop them from throwing my ass off my own boat?" I tell the cops as to why I didn't help them.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Well, I mean, true, but the Supreme Court already ruled that cops have no duty to save you.

The whole "they have an obligation to the people but not a single person" reasoning applies to firefighters and EMTs too and I don't get how that makes sense to anyone.

Generally, citizens don't have a duty to help others either. Citizens are more likely to help me than cops are though.

Yeah fuck them. FL has a Stand your ground law. I'd feel threatened if I was them. "they obviously hate me, what's to stop them from throwing my ass off my own boat?" I tell the cops as to why I didn't help them.

I'm not sure of FL law pertaining to rendering aid or even maritime law but Stand Your Ground definitely would not apply to people in the water with no means to harm you.

These people are asshole bigots and I can easily see why others would drive off without helping them.

MisterNugNug

Oct 27, 2017
Good on them on being better human beings than the idiots they rescued. Karma is a thing. If I were in their shoes I'd probably bring my boat closer and then as they got closer I would have sped a little further away and when they got closer I would have sped a little bit further away. A few minutes of hilarity earned for having to put up with that bullshit.