• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which of these instances from third parties hurt Nintendo and its fans the most.

• EA releasing Mass Effect Trilogy the same time as Mass Effect 3 for WiiU

Votes: 174 10.7%
  • Ubisoft delays Rayman Legends for simultaneous release.

Votes: 100 6.2%
  • Capcom announces Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 a mere months before Gamecube release.

Votes: 343 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 51 3.1%
  • Final Fantasy jumps to PlayStation

Votes: 957 58.9%

• Total voters

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Because the game ended up flopping. Wii U fans were thirsty for games (see how many kickstarters they funded) but were spurned and pissed off, then it ended up flopping everywhere else anyway.

Ubi only screwed themselves, I'm pretty certain it would have sold more if launched when ready on Wii U, and at the very least they should not have announced it was finished but they were waiting to get it on other consoles because fuck Wii U, just delay it with 'development issues' then shadow add other platforms later.

I understand. Fair enough. It would probably have done better being a time exclusive on Wii U, yes, even though pretty few third parties had success on the system (for example, Zombi U was an exclusive launch title and it didn't do well). Ubi probably thought Wii U was too risky at that point, though.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people think RE4's announcement qualifies anywhere near impacting, even if we consider both the reception at the time and historical hindsight:

1. It still came out on GC first by about 10 months
2. RE fans still had reason to hang onto their GameCubes with REmake and RE0
3. The GC version was much better technologically
4. Capcom did not announce any features for the PS2 port until E3 2005, months after the game hit
5. The game showed up on Wii just 2.5 years later and did even better on there
6. GC sales were dying by this point and even RE4 couldn't have been expected to save it

RE4's PS2 announcement was a minor blip in Nintendo's history. FF7 takes the cake for sure.

At least the online perception was that it pretty much finished off the Gamecube. RE 4 was a killer app for the Gamecube.

The hope amongst Nintendo fans was that between Prime 2/RE 4/Twilight Princess and the cheap price of the system that you'd get Playstation owners picking up the Gamecube as a second system and it'd end up ahead of XBox

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's FFVII. FFVII gave Sony great legitimacy, and broke the levees for other 3rd parties to stream away from Nintendo.

They were already streaming away a good bit, but Square jumping really broke the levees

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
At least the online perception was that it pretty much finished off the Gamecube. RE 4 was a killer app for the Gamecube.

The hope amongst Nintendo fans was that between Prime 2/RE 4/Twilight Princess and the cheap price of the system that you'd get Playstation owners picking up the Gamecube as a second system and it'd end up ahead of XBox

I believe, even if everyone who bought RE4 on PS2 that gen had instead ended up buying a GameCube, it would still be below the Xbox by just a tiny bit.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
FFVII was definitely A slap

Followed by a multitude of other slaps in quick succession
It really wasn't. It's a forced narrative that FF7 releasing on the PS on its own had any significant impact on the relationship. That's essentially calling the game's producer a liar, because to this day he maintains Nintendo had no problem with FF7's platform change.

It went like this: Nintendo for a number of reasons opted to go for cartridges and SGI technology for the N64, neither of which were convenient for the FF7 Square wanted to make, so Nintendo wished them good luck, as a single game wasn't enough to change their plans. Afterwards Square's then-president went out of his way to convince other third-parties to move their flagship titles to the PS as well, which is what pissed Yamauchi so much. Now that was a slap.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I understand. Fair enough. It would probably have done better being a time exclusive on Wii U, yes, even though pretty few third parties had success on the system (for example, Zombi U was an exclusive launch title and it didn't do well). Ubi probably thought Wii U was too risky at that point, though.
To be fair, there was a good amount of interest in ZU up until the reviews came out prior to launch and it got panned... HARD. Like lots of 6s and 7s that turned buyers away.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Square jumping to Sony was the only one that really mattered. They lost third party support during the fifth generation and never really got it back for decades. The Switch, Gamecube, and Wii all had decent support, but nothing will ever top the SNES support.

Oct 27, 2017
You realize that it was mostly true six years ago. I know that nintendo is like 10 years behind for most stuff but damn.

Well it's okay tho.
What does that have to do with 3rd party exclusives? You don't even know what your argument is anymore. This whole line of replies started with you making some nonsense response to my post that Rayman fucked over Ubisoft more than Nintendo and that it being a Wii U exclusive to start wasn't the issue, the date it was delayed to was

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
What does that have to do with 3rd party exclusives? You don't even know what your argument is anymore. This whole line of replies started with you making some nonsense response to my post that Rayman fucked over Ubisoft more than Nintendo and that it being a Wii U exclusive to start wasn't the issue, the date it was delayed to was
The entire Rayman thing was one of the worst business decisions ive seen in the gaming sphere in the last 15 years (excluding the Wii U itself).

Game would have sold significantly better (at full price to boot) if it would have just launched when it was initially supposed to. Nintendo gave Ubi a LOT of free marketing since it was constantly featured in switch promos, and fans were very excited for it, at a time when there was nothing new for the system.

As it turned out, it ended up bombing on all three (due to the delay killing all hype and interest, PS3/360 demo wasn't really super excited for this type of game, and the retarded new release date).

Of course there is no way to "prove" it would have sold more if it would have launched when it was supposed to, but its hard for me to believe it would have sold worse.

They should have just said F Microsoft, released it when they were supposed to, then released a PS3 port before black Friday (but not on the same day as Pikmin3, and a week before GTA).

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
To be fair, there was a good amount of interest in ZU up until the reviews came out prior to launch and it got panned... HARD. Like lots of 6s and 7s that turned buyers away.

Well, maybe. But I wonder how these reviews really affect people. A recent example is Days Gone, which reviewed so-so and still did very well. (And it should be said that the final game was far from what Ubisoft's trailer promised at E3. I have a weak spot for Zombi U, though.)

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I always saw the RE4 to ps2 the biggest fu to them. You sign for a handful of exclusive games for system, then turn around and release the best selling one elsewhere.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Square jumping ship with Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, and Tactics, among other games. That was a major factor in killing off the N64.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom launches Monster Hunter XX on 3DS a week or two AFTER the launch of the Switch

Capcom goes radio silent on the localization of Monster Hunter XX (Generations Ultimate) for Switch following initial Japan announcement.

Capcom Announces Monster Hunter World for all platforms excluding Switch.

When asked about possible localization of MHXX for Switch, Capcom responds with: NO... we just announced Monster Hunter World on the other platforms.

Last edited:

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
all these are good examples, but I think the most annoyed I got was when Strider 2014 and the Castle of Illusion remake skipped the Wii U... when they didn't had any reason to, as Strider was a franchise present since the NES and Mickey games and Nintendo systems are butter and bread.

In a lesser extend, SoulCalibur II HD not happening on Wii U was also a shame; that way we would have Link, Heihachi and Spawn in the same game.

Other than that, I never really had much of an issue having Nintendo systems as my main console.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
SquareSoft, of course.

4hbv0tK.png

www.polygon.com

Final Fantasy 7: An oral history

An inside look at the creation and fallout of Square's industry-defining role-playing game, as told by those who were there.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
RE4 has to be the biggest in my book. FFVI was never OFFICIAL for the N64. Capcom swore up and down that RE4 would remain a GC exclusive. It lead to Mikami's departure from the company, plus I know many people who didn't buy a GameCube because of the announcement. And the added content, widescreen support, and the graphics that were at least passable when compared to the GC version gave the more Nintendo-critical gaming press plenty of ammunition in the then still-raging console wars.

James Mielke (1up.com) - "RE4 for the PS2 is the Definitive Version of one of gaming's greatest titles."
OPM - "RE4 for PS2 kicks the Cube version right in Las Plagas."

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
RE4 has to be the biggest in my book. FFVI was never OFFICIAL for the N64. Capcom swore up and down that RE4 would remain a GC exclusive. It lead to Mikami's departure from the company, plus I know many people who didn't buy a GameCube because of the announcement. And the added content, widescreen support, and the graphics that were at least passable when compared to the GC version gave the more Nintendo-critical gaming press plenty of ammunition in the then still-raging console wars.

James Mielke (1up.com) - "RE4 for the PS2 is the Definitive Version of one of gaming's greatest titles."
You're right, those two guys were devastating for Nintendo.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

Console wars these days just aren't the same

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
This story.

We don't know if EA as a whole thought about Nintendo like that, but their studios most likely weren't on board on Wii U.

I remember hearing about that, but I thought that was strictly for Wii U. I remember the whole fiasco about EA wanting the Wii U to run Origin or else the system was dead in the water. Have EA said anything about Switch?

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
You're right, those two guys were devastating for Nintendo.

This was the era of G4, Tony Hawk, GTA, and Halo. If your game wasn't hip or edgy, you were out to lunch. And Nintendo's marketing tried (badly) but couldn't do anything.

Things are a lot different now. In fact, I'd say in today's PC culture and more social-leaning culture, Nintendo is trying to turn themselves into the preferred entity in the gaming market, especially when it comes to things like microtransactions and DLC.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted for FFVII going to the Playstation only because the choice I would consider isn't on the option: Tengen suing Nintendo over the lockout chip. This is because of who Tengen actually was. Tengen was a former atari subsidiary that had been bought by Namco and splintered off into it's own thing. The people running Tengen were considered preferential by Nintendo, when they had been part of Namco, they were one of the launch 3rd party developers and Nintendo could cut them special deals. These deals continued onto Tengen, but Tengen wanted to produce their own carts, so they worked on a way to defeat the 10-NES chip. In the meantime, however, they sued nintendo to stall for time.

This whole deal gets more interesting as the Tetris lawsuit gets rolled into things. It's actually an extremely long but vastly interesting story.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I totally forgot about that Rayman Legends thing, the thread on GAF was a hilarious trainwreck.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, gotta go with FF moving away from Nintendo to Sony. A lot of us grew up with FF games on Nintendo hardware, especially through the 16-bit era, and Square was, for all intents and purposes, synonymous with Nintendo. The change represented a huge shift in the console landscape. We still feel the effects of it today from a major third-party perspective.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Final fantasy was definitely the hardest in the company and it's fans, but Mass Effect has to be the biggest dick move on the list.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Anyone not voting Final Fantasy jumping ship is objectively wrong (and probably didn't live through it).
Edit: Didn't know it wasn't an option in the original poll, you guys are off the hook for now. Not you OP, how could you miss that? :P

The capcom is the only one that counts as a slap. The other ones in your poll just fucked up their own sales =P

Square fucked up sales of FF7 by putting it on PSX rather than N64? :D

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing about that, but I thought that was strictly for Wii U. I remember the whole fiasco about EA wanting the Wii U to run Origin or else the system was dead in the water. Have EA said anything about Switch?

They didn't but honestly their action speak for themselves: Switch is getting a legacy FIFA this year. Best selling console, in its merely third year but a "Legacy" edition. It is obvious that the Sports side of EA still have negative views on Nintendo.

My guess is EA higher ups have no problem with Nintendo but their studios have. We know that DICE and Respawn are not fans of Nintendo and Sports studios pretty much confessed it.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Final Fantasy option muddies things because it's very different in substance than the original options (a publisher switching platforms during a major generation transition for technical reasons vs. publishers releasing seemingly self-sabotaging Nintendo platform exclusives), and because its long term historical impact colors what wasn't really "a slap" otherwise.

The Final Fantasy series pre-VII was pretty big in Japan and a fan favorite for RPG enthusiasts in the West, but it wasn't the system-defining, hardware sales boosting, global AAA blockbuster pillars of the industry that VII turned it into. It's no more a "slap" than any other series that's branched out or released on another company's hardware, it's just more significant because the game itself ended up being so successful that it not only significantly improved the standing of the series, it also raised the standing of the entire genre (that was better suited for PS1 hardware).

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I propose that the unprecedented partnership was the biggest slap... that the behind the scenes happenings and goings on between EA and Nintendo ... of which in THEORY they were going to handle all the Online aspects of the Wii U with EA Origin... and enter a big ol partnership. Committed to a ton of games and really TALKED up their online capabilities in 2011 on stage...
Whatever happened behind the scenes (in my mind Nintendo stubbornly decided upon certain hardware specs and EA got pissed and pulled out) absolutely shredded what the Wii U was going to be and they had to reconstruct it's OS and everything for launch (in theory) which is why that thing launched so half baked...
The mass effect ordeal ... and actively making anti Nintendo choices are all just a side effect from that behind the scenes event ... which ended the unprecedented partnership and had Peter Moore actively fight against the already existing projects for Wii U. ( The Mass effect screw over, delaying NFS Most wanted for MONTHS, among other things.) I believe the falling out was more petty than the Sony/phillips thing back in the day... though It may have had less consequences it certainly killed the Wii U before it even made it to the shelves... essentially knocking Nintendo out of favor with gamers and press and public perception for many years..
They're just barely starting to pull themselves out of that pit some 7 years later

Do I believe it's all EA's fault...? no ...Wii U had some very Nintendo issues
Do I believe EA had a lot to do with it? YES

edit: all speculative of course

Last edited:

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest slap was Sony going alone on Playstation after Nintendo dumped them for Philips.

If Nintendo hadn't slapped Sony, they would have had a viable CD platform, and Square would not have moved.

So my argument is that Nintendo slapped themselves the hardest.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
SquareSoft, of course.

4hbv0tK.png

www.polygon.com

Final Fantasy 7: An oral history

An inside look at the creation and fallout of Square's industry-defining role-playing game, as told by those who were there.
This is super funny.

"We hired you but really you work for Nintendo, get it?"
* a week later*
"So we lied to you"

The interesting part about this is how that's something that Square was looking into since they had so much trouble retrofitting their super ambitious 1st draft of Chrono Trigger into Secret of Mana and were like "fuck this shit, as soon as we can let's dump Nintendo, they'll never go for discs anyway"

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I find it funny that people get angry about EA, but didn't care when namco bandai did the exact same thing with dark souls. To a certain extent, EA move was way more lenient, since it was a launch title and wii u sold like shit, meawhile with the switch...

Anyway, for me, the entire project cars wii u version was ugly. Really misleading all the fans that actually backed the project.

I remember the Project Cars thing, especially since in the end the devs were like "who even really wanted it on Wii U anyway?" or something to that effect.

I do feel like the "Unprecedented Partnership" is the biggest screw-you of the lot. Square's decision made sense vis-a-vis where they wanted to go versus where Nintendo was going. The Rayman thing is a non-starter, that game wouldn't have moved the needle anyway. EA's song and dance and then completely screwing over all of their Wii U projects (for instance, Crysis 3 was apparently in a ready-to-port state but EA refused to do it) really just seems like spite, especially them with the balls to go up on stage in January 2017, act like they're big Nintendo fans and that giving them a stripped-down version of FIFA is an event.

I've largely left the vitriol of fanboy days behind me and that one still gets me cheesed off.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No surprise, really. Media bias in favor of Sony was alarming back in the PS2 era. Few would dare to say anything contrary to Sony and third-parties were very sensible to it's influence. Back in the day Sony was seen as an invincible company in the gaming biz. This finally ended when both PS3 and PSP lagged behind their competition. There's still some Sony bias from some media outlet, publishers and devs, but nowhere as alarming as it was in the PS2 days.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
FF7 had the biggest impact.

But also at that time, Square was near bankruptcy, and Sony helped them a lot with large stock purchase.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
The effects of the FF jump changed the gaming world forever and still felt to this day.