• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of these instances from third parties hurt Nintendo and its fans the most.

• EA releasing Mass Effect Trilogy the same time as Mass Effect 3 for WiiU

Votes: 174 10.7%
  • Ubisoft delays Rayman Legends for simultaneous release.

Votes: 100 6.2%
  • Capcom announces Resident Evil 4 for the PS2 a mere months before Gamecube release.

Votes: 343 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 51 3.1%
  • Final Fantasy jumps to PlayStation

Votes: 957 58.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it wasn't just Final Fantasy. The creation of Playstation as a response to a humiliating move destroyed their market share for the next two generations.
Yeah, it doesn't quite fit the 'third party' theme OP has going, but the whole Nintendo-Sony fallout was definitely the worst.

I'd give the Final Fantasy exit the win on the poll.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
How so? It was obvious Rayman Legends was developed with the Wii U Gamepad in mind, but when the system flopped it was a reasonable move to launch it on PlayStation and Xbox too. They could've release on Wii U first, sure, but Ubisoft supported Nintendo's failed console a lot anyway. Even with an exclusive launch title.

I like Ubisoft's games on Wii U, btw. They play great.

The system wasn't a known flop at the at point yet.

The system launched during the holidays and pretty much was sold out until January if I recall. It had some worrisome numbers in january and February if I recall but not total flop numbers. Rayman was set to launch in march?

At that time there was a high demand for new games coming off of launch and rayman was highly talked about and had hype behind it. Then it got delayed what was it like 2 weeks before release? Maybe a month? It was really the beginning of the end for the systems support and it left a bad impression regarding support to consumers.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
None of these feel like a slap to me unless you have a perspective that these companies owe Nintendo something.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Seeing Mass Effect 3 for Wii U in stores next to Mass Effect Collection for other platforms, and at a higher price, was hilariously awful.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I would say RE4 but.. EA's support on Switch is really fucked up. It doesn't make sense.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is its own fans' biggest enemy. I've been disappointed by them so much worse and much more frequently than any third party.

This console cycle alone: Switch and controller build quality, last gen first party port pricing, subpar online, non-existent social capabilities, no push for multimedia apps or a browser, drip feed of NES ROMs, etc.

The worst thing a third party has done is not release a game or two. Monster Hunter leaving Switch in the cold is most disappointing for me recently, but it's ultimately not a big deal.

Last edited:

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
I would argue that SoulCalibur III non-show on the GameCube and the recent FIFA 20 version's downgrade on the Switch are two sucker punches. Namco and EA being coy about their decision makes these moves even more look like genuine 'fuck you, Nintendo' moments.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm not sure why people think RE4's announcement qualifies anywhere near impacting, even if we consider both the reception at the time and historical hindsight:

1. It still came out on GC first by about 10 months
2. RE fans still had reason to hang onto their GameCubes with REmake and RE0
3. The GC version was much better technologically
4. Capcom did not announce any features for the PS2 port until E3 2005, months after the game hit
5. The game showed up on Wii just 2.5 years later and did even better on there
6. GC sales were dying by this point and even RE4 couldn't have been expected to save it

RE4's PS2 announcement was a minor blip in Nintendo's history. FF7 takes the cake for sure.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII for sure.

Creating the Sony monster is the biggest one ever, but yeah, it doesn't fit the topic.

Elma4Smash

Banned
Jul 15, 2019
It's RE4.

FF7 wasn't a slap, that was a long-planned business decision. ME3 was dumb, but it was just a late-port, so little relevance.

Now RE4 - basically sabotaging the GCN-version directly prior to its release? And after Mikami's famous 'if RE4 isn't exclusive, I'll chop off my head' statement? That was a real bitch slap in the face of fans, Nintendo and everyone. Doubly so because the GCN-PS2-XBOX era was the peak of all console warrioring, silly as it was.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Is this even a question? If FF7 was on the N64 instead of the PS1, chances are that the N64 would have outsold it. I'd even question whether Sony would still be in the gaming industry now if FF7 was N64 exclusive.

Let's review the other three:
  • In regards to Mass Effect, I doubt most Nintendo fans at that time could even describe Mass Effect, much less get hyped about it.
  • Robbing Nintendo of Rayman Legends' exclusivity did hurt the Wii U, but not fatally, and nowhere near as badly as the BOTW delays.
  • The only one of the three that was remotely comparable to FF7 being on the PS1 would be RE4's PS2 release, and even then, at least RE4 actually released on a Nintendo console.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be the Capcom Five. Coming out saying you'll release five exclusives made from the ground up for GameCube and only coming out for GameCube.... only to announce you'll be releasing all of them (well, all but the worst performing one) to your competitors console. At least the RE4 PS2 port is impressive as hell.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like it or not, no "slap" has been too damaging as Nintendo is still thriving in this year of 2019, decades and decades after it all started, with lots of these "slaps" in the meantime. Simultaneously you see many of these publishers shrinking down, selling out, dwindling in importance and so on.

However FF7 seems like the first significant moment when Nintendo had come down to earth and have a taste of what it is to play without the invincibility star power up.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 going to Playstation. RE4 pales in comparison. FF7 went back to Nintendo nearly 20 years later, so they got it too. FF XII, X, X-2, XV Pocket Edition, IX all came back with VIII remaster being ported to the Switch as well.
It was one of the reasons why I picked up a Playstation instead of the N64 when articles back then were comparing disc vs cd's.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The Rayman delay just comes off as UbiSoft attempting to slap Nintendo, missing and then slapping themselves in the face.

Wii U owners got that free Rayman challenges game which basically gave them their fill of the game and other console owners didn't buy it.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
Bruh, the Capcom Five betrayal is easily the biggest one.

Capcom and Ninty relations haven't been the same since, hell even MH bounced and is now doing gangbusters elsewhere. The MH:W announcement for PS4/XBO/PC had me cackling like a fool after months of insistence that the western-focused MH for the PS4 leak was fake. Even after the announcement you had people claiming it was a spin-off and that the true MH5 would be on the Switch :/
MH was on PlayStation first

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Probably FF.

But the most mindboggling one definately is Mass Effect 3 - How does that even make any sense?! I cant understand it.

Jan 11, 2018
Man, you went way back. The snark and obnoxiousness from series veterans in Monster Hunter World threads was hilarious.

Capcom and Ninty relations haven't been the same since, hell even MH bounced and is now doing gangbusters elsewhere. The MH:W announcement for PS4/XBO/PC had me cackling like a fool after months of insistence that the western-focused MH for the PS4 leak was fake. Even after the announcement you had people claiming it was a spin-off and that the true MH5 would be on the Switch :/

This isn't a poll option but where the fuck is Monster Hunter Switch? It's like the ideal system for MonHun.

I feel like many people are somehow forgetting that Monster Hunter originally came out on PS2, and then moved onto PSP way before it ever came out on a Nintendo system. That was a big slap against Sony, who certainly could have used even a port of the latest game at the time as a launch title for the Vita, for example. You can't really talk about the disappointment of Capcom jumping ship, again, without acknowledging this.

Similarly, when talking about the impact of Nintendo losing the GameCube exclusivity of Resident Evil 4 you also have to keep in mind that the series suddenly going from being multi-plat (whose fans were mainly playing on PC or PlayStation) to being Nintendo exclusive was also perceived as a big slap against everyone else in the first place.

How you get 'em is how you're gonna lose 'em, as they say.

Squaresoft leaving Nintendo for Sony made a lot of sense business wise, but unlike the Capcom titles that I've just mentioned Final Fantasy had at least been associated with Nintendo systems for almost an entire decade at that point (not counting the odd MSX port of the first game). So I feel that's the only real answer here.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Square going to sony was the industry equivalent of the archduke ferdinand assassination, you knew history was going to take a completely different trajectory after that.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
FF7 was huge at the time, but let's face it, it's likely Square never even started working on a Nintendo-based FF7 before the "betrayal" beyond that famous FFVI 3D demo. They went with the machine and the publisher that would give them more freedom and better revenues.

And the same goes for the Capcom 5 games (you'd ignore the greatest market leader that ever was in the video game market, not to mention the successor to the console where Resident Evil even launched and found success?) and Rayman Legends (the higher ups at Ubi probably thought that Rayman was a waste of resources even before greenilighting a sequel to Origins, and sending it out to die on all platforms at the same time was probably still more profitable than have it bomb on WiiU first and have zero public interest for the game on other platforms).

But EA announcing ME3 on WiiU and the trilogy for PS360 at the same time and price was just evil.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only real shit move is the mass effect debacle.

Lmao for ff vii since every fp went through that. Sony loosing monster hunter for vita was an even bigger blow than ff vii which i would argue wouldn't be possible on n64 anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
They fucked themselves over by creating a Wii U exclusive platformer. You can't really blame them for correctly reading that the console was going to fail and changing plans. Even Nintendo bailed on the Wii U.

There was nothing wrong with a Wii U exclusive platformer and the game sold best on it anyway. The console failing didn't mean every game on it failed. The problem was them delaying it from a period when the Wii U had nothing to the same day as Pikmin 3 and on other consoles to basically the week before GTA V

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The only real shit move is the mass effect debacle.

Lmao for ff vii since every fp went through that. Sony loosing monster hunter for vita was an even bigger blow than ff vii which i would argue wouldn't be possible on n64 anyway.

it's not so much about FF7 itself, but the indication. at the time it was believed nintendo would more or less retain their iron grip on 3rd parties

after that it was drip drip drip

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There was nothing wrong with a Wii U exclusive platformer and the game sold best on it anyway. The console failing didn't mean every game on it failed. The problem was them delaying it from a period when the Wii U had nothing to the same day as Pikmin 3 and on other consoles to basically the week before GTA V

Did Nintendo pay for exclusivity? Why fuck over the other consoles if you don't get anything from Nintendo? Because it's big N? Why would ubisoft care?

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Slap to Nintendo? I can understand "slap to its fans" but to discuss betrayals between companies feels weird since these are all just places trying to make money. Especially when Nintendo is no stranger to "betraying" other companies as well lol.

Anyway, for the fans bit, I felt most impacted by Rayman Legends. My most anticipated launch title became my only anticipated dry release schedule title, which then got delayed again by 7 months for a simultaneous release... Still don't understand why they couldn't release it in February as a timed exclusive rather than sending it out to die against the likes of GTA on other systems. Game sold well in the long run so guess it didn't end up mattering, but that delay made Game & Wario and Pikmin 3 my first games bought post-launch. Worst launch period I've ever experienced.

Oct 27, 2017
Did Nintendo pay for exclusivity? Why fuck over the other consoles if you don't get anything from Nintendo? Because it's big N? Why would ubisoft care?
You think all exclusives are paid for? Like I said, Ubisoft fucked over themselves. I don't think you remember, but that was way back when MS had their whole release date parity rule, which is what forced Ubisoft to delay the game. It was always a temp exclusive for the Wii U, but MS forced them to delay it and it did nothing, but fuck over Ubisoft as it then released at a time when all 3 consoles had other, more compelling, games released for them

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bruh, the Capcom Five betrayal is easily the biggest one.

Well, Monster Hunter going Nintendo 3DS and Wii made "some" Sonyfans cry too.

Regarding 3rd parties, many of them shit on Nintendo systems since a long time, especially on consoles. I was still surprised about the lack of 3rd party presence on Switch at the beginning, especially in japan, and that many 3rd parties thought Switch was a successor to Wii U and that it was going to flop. We and nintendo can be very happy that the Switch was a big success without extremely good 3rd party support.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say in at least somewhat recent history, it's definitely EA completely abandoning Nintendo with the Wii U and not properly returning to this very day. The only reason I care, though, is because they currently hold the Star Wars licence.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
I named my son Luigi, so here's a shitty legacy version of Fifa and no other support whatsoever

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still find hard to believe cartridge base console was the thing that made Square jump out the N64 train. They didnt even knew how to code 3D games on PSX!!. It was all new ground for all devs!!

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rare didn't sell out. The stamper brothers wanted to leave the industry and offered Nintendo the rights to rare but they weren't interested in buying studios at the time. So it went to the highest bidder. The relationship between Nintendo and rare ended amicably, there's no bad blood and no one got screwed over.

Pretty sure Nintendo figured a third party developer would pick up Rare. I'm sure Rare getting picked up by a competitor surprised them at the time.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
FF7 going to Sony not only shook the industry, but changed it.

Nothing in that poll even comes close

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
How about Dragon Quest VII? Didn't Enix originally announce it for the N64, only to switch it to the PlayStation after Squaresoft convinced them to do so?

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Final Fantasy going to PlayStation represents the point where it all goes downhill for Nintendo for years and years. Biggest slap by far.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think Final Fantasy jumping to PlayStation is the biggest and maybe the one that effected them the most. It set the precedent for a giant third party exodus to PlayStation that generation, and cemented Sony as Nintendo's main competitor to this day.

It wasn't a slap though, it was a smart business decision just like Monster Hunter World was.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Is this even a question? If FF7 was on the N64 instead of the PS1, chances are that the N64 would have outsold it. I'd even question whether Sony would still be in the gaming industry now if FF7 was N64 exclusive.
No.
FF7 exclusivity was a big catch for Sony (which they paid a lot to get) but Sony strategy to focus on third-party software instead of what was the common practice for the console makers of the time to focus on first-party software to push their systems would prove to be a trumping card for Sony regardless of FFVII (which, again, was big but part of grand strategy that Sony followed for PS1).
What Sony brought to the table with PS1 was a paradigm shift.

Oct 27, 2017
FF7 going to the Playstation. It's no surprise that a series that loves being pushing it's pretty graphics eventually parted ways with a platform that is consistently under powered, but it gave this new competitor one the biggest exclusive games of all time. So much so, that I grew up associating the FF brand with the Playstation brand. Bad move on Nintendo's part.

Interframe

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This thread is really melodramatic lol. Nintendo has done surprisingly fine with their console businesses without major third party support on their platforms and that's in spite of some publishers jumping ship.

Nintendo's 1st part output is so powerful and influential, Sony and MS would never survive on their own in-house 1st party talent as platform holders (although Sony definitely has stepped up their game, but their collection of IP is nowhere near the recognizable Disney-level of star power Nintendo's collection of IP is).

Nintendo has had their ups and downs no doubt (GC/Wii U) but in most cases, they've been able to weather the storm and stay afloat, mostly on the back of their own IP and in-house talent and innovation, which is honestly astonishing. That's something you can't really say for most other video game companies.

Any other company losing that level of third part support for their platform post-SNES would've been buried, instead Nintendo showed the entire video game industry how to design incredible 3D video games in the form of Super Mario 64 and Zelda OOT. The amount of game design innovation from Nintendo, both in terms of tight hardware/software integration, in the N64-era is seriously under-looked. I'm pretty sure all those 3rd party devs who jumped ship to the PlayStation were heavily inspired by what Nintendo did in that era and still do to this day. They are pretty unique in that regard.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I feel like many people are somehow forgetting that Monster Hunter originally came out on PS2, and then moved onto PSP way before it ever came out on a Nintendo system. That was a big slap against Sony, who certainly could have used even a port of the latest game at the time as a launch title for the Vita, for example. You can't really talk about the disappointment of Capcom jumping ship, again, without acknowledging this.

Similarly, when talking about the impact of Nintendo losing the GameCube exclusivity of Resident Evil 4 you also have to keep in mind that the series suddenly going from being multi-plat (whose fans were mainly playing on PC or PlayStation) to being Nintendo exclusive was also perceived as a big slap against everyone else in the first place.

How you get 'em is how you're gonna lose 'em, as they say.

Squaresoft leaving Nintendo for Sony made a lot of sense business wise, but unlike the Capcom titles that I've just mentioned Final Fantasy had at least been associated with Nintendo systems for almost an entire decade at that point (not counting the odd MSX port of the first game). So I feel that's the only real answer here.

Good post.

I'll add to it, that it's beyond me how allowing more people to play RE4 after the GC release hurt the fans. It sounds like it's more about what others have, than what Nintendo fans have. They could still play the game, unlike it was with REmake, which left PS2 and PC players out despite of the original's roots. The downturn in sales proved it was a bad business decision for Capcom, just like the infamous Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity. It's only logical, that RE4 was given available for a larger audience.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You think all exclusives are paid for? Like I said, Ubisoft fucked over themselves. I don't think you remember, but that was way back when MS had their whole release date parity rule, which is what forced Ubisoft to delay the game. It was always a temp exclusive for the Wii U, but MS forced them to delay it and it did nothing, but fuck over Ubisoft as it then released at a time when all 3 consoles had other, more compelling, games released for them

Third party exclusive are mostly gone. Why would It be different with Nintendo?

And the could have released it even later before going against pikmin and gta.