• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Nintendo Switch

had it for 3 years, played a few games, everything about this thing is horrible: underpowered, ergonomically a nightmare and the games were also doing nothing for me.

sold it for good money when there was the shortage last year and never looked back.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Vita, which is kinda odd because I normally only get around 5-10 games in total for a handheld, but I bought around 4 full home pages of Vita games digitally.
No second shoulder buttons made it useless for a majority of PS1 Classics and remote play, the so called incredible screen looked nice but all the games I played on it were super low res and looked between eh and awful (if anyone has an example of a game that truly looks great on a Vita I'd love to know! Even Muramasa didn't look good on it), the rear touch pad was like the worst control scheme ever created, the performance on some games was jaw droppingly shocking, and I thought the much hyped d-pad was too small, and I don't even have really large hands.

It's an interesting piece of hardware, and I liked P4G obviously, plus it made PSP Peace Walker playable, but overall I just don't think it was designed well. I think I spent more time using it for Skype when playing on games lol.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't really have one, I've enjoyed all my consoles/portables. The one I liked the least was the PS3 though.

SlowRiot

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I am a Nintendo handheld fan I really never got much use out of the 3DS and kind of regret getting one.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I imported a GameCube from Japan to the UK. I was so excited to get one, months before the official release.

Turned out my TV could only display 60hz video in black and white. And I couldn't afford a new TV until a year later.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Atari Jaguar, that thing was hilariously bad in retrospect. I paid good money on that because I was hyped on it for whatever reason.

yeah, thats also a good call, i remember buying the Jaguar for Tempest 2k and in the end this game was the only one worth it at all. AvP was ass imo, Doom was somewhat ok and that was it.

still remember waiting with 20 other people for the Kasumi Ninja shipment in a local game store, we were like starved dogs waiting for at least one other good game and yeah...Kasumi Ninja was also hot garbage.

but it came with a headband

ks-headband-3.jpg

Deleted member 25834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For me it was the Wii. Definitely some cool games, but it became clear that the major developers left it high and dry a couple of yeas into it's cycle.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Wii U in 2013

My mom was in the hospital for a few weeks at the time, and while sitting with her overnight I saw a thread on the old site about Ebay/Amazon or someplace having a really good deal on the 32GB model. I bought it and forgot about it right away since my mom wound up dying that night, and the Wii U was delivered while I was dealing with funeral arrangements a few days later. I didn't think anything of it at the time but after finally hooking it up and playing it a few weeks later, I realized that anytime I played it (or even just looked at it) that it kept making me think back to her final day, or the feeling of handling her funeral arrangements, until I eventually got rid of it after only a few hours of use.

I know it's dumb, but I just couldn't shake that negative association.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
I regret not making better use of the PS1 and PS2's fantastic software libraries. Child me had thrash taste. My consoles were all great though.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of PS4 for me. Only because I bought it at the wrong time.
Only got it for MGSV and later went to study abroad.
Because of that I didn't use it that much and the PS4 pro released in that time.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gen 7:

360 died with red-ring, traded it in for PS3 when it eventually became available in the territory I lived in and the game drought was very real. I don't think I put much time into it at all - half-finished Uncharted, bit of echochrome, first resistance game - just found everything very dull and switched to indie PC gaming for much needed variety

That entire gen was shite - games tried so hard to be "realistic" with brown/grey everywhere and they didn't have enough power to realise the vision.

Thankfully last-gen both MS and Sony turned it around somewhat

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Nintendo DS on day 1.

Hated the controls of Mario 64 DS and then didnt think much of the device itself. It wasn't until the Lite came out that I started to really like the system.

Jan 30, 2021
Basically every Nintendo home console and portable. I keep buying them despite knowing all too well that it will only prolong the time of Nintendo being a hardware manufacturer, which in turn means that Nintendo games on hardware that does them justice remains a distant dream.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buying a Dreamcast off eBay so I could play SF3 Double Impact and 3rd Strike only for the SF 30th Anniversary Collection to be announced like, a couple months later.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Also, with the benefit of hindsight, Xbox One. Because so many of the first party games came out on PC which I could have bought them on. I think only Screamride wasn't, but I'm probably wrong about that.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Xbox one X I have no idea why I bought it when the PS4 Pro had so many games, It was a silly purchase, I only used it for UHDs...

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Switch. I purchased it because the noise around BotW was too hard to ignore and in the end it was a phenomenal game. I planned on picking up Smash which I did & loved but the other games I was interested in were disappointments. Xenoblade 2 was nowhere near as good as the 1st one and Mario Kart 8 is one of the worst games I've played, a game that doesn't allow you to be good and kind of punishes you for it. Everything was unlocked already so there was no incentive to play. Then the Pokemom reviews killed my hype for that completely. I also picked up Mario Oddessy due to its metacritic rating and that was average. Mario + Rabbids was the only other great game i played on my switch. So 3 games.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's my switch.

Got botw, Odyssey, mk8, smash, Bayonetta 1&2, Mario maker 2, Link's awakening, three houses, fractured but whole, and fell seal.

I sold mk8 and smash cause they were boring as fuck, trying to sell links awakening cause there is no replay value once I finished it the weekend it came out. Stopped paying for Nintendo online so Mario maker is useless.

Sometimes I feel like playing it or maybe buying another game I am interested in, but there are barely any sales worth mentioning or the same game is available on my PS4 that I know will run better and is cheaper. I don't really care for the switch, but I have it. Probably should have sold it when there was AC fever and people couldn't find one

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
1. Switch. Got it cheap, but the pro controller and pricey games soon negated that. Just don't like using it; shit controllers, poor performance.
2. PSP. Barely used it at all. Had hundreds in Gamestation credit and bought it on a whim when I had ideas they were going under. Just didn't feel good to use.
3. GP32. Shite. Utter shite.

I liked Vita, WonderSwan, GBA, DS, Lynx, Game Gear, etc. Not got a hate boner for handhelds, just those 3 were not for me.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, it's my switch.

Got botw, Odyssey, mk8, smash, Bayonetta 1&2, Mario maker 2, Link's awakening, three houses, fractured but whole, and fell seal.

I sold mk8 and smash cause they were boring as fuck, trying to sell links awakening cause there is no replay value once I finished it the weekend it came out. Stopped paying for Nintendo online so Mario maker is useless.

Sometimes I feel like playing it or maybe buying another game I am interested in, but there are barely any sales worth mentioning or the same game is available on my PS4 that I know will run better and is cheaper. I don't really care for the switch, but I have it. Probably should have sold it when there was AC fever and people couldn't find one
Why did you even buy the console in the first place? It's common knowledge that Nintendo first-party games are never hitting bargain-bin prices.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Why did you even buy the console in the first place? It's common knowledge that Nintendo first-party games are never hitting bargain-bin prices.
Cause it was a deal when I got it. Also there are more games that I would want to buy and play other than Nintendo first party games that also don't go on sale

ChillyBilly

Oct 27, 2017
Vita for me. I think I played it three or four times before it put away on the shelf.

I found it a year or so ago and thought maybe I hadn't given it a fair shot. Nope, I turned it on, messed with the icons for a minute or two, and then put it back in a box in storage.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Wii U was disappointing (my word the OS STINKS), but I kept it because the games were fun.

The PSP was so rough from a loading standpoint that I returned the unit and never looked back.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
No regrets! Maybe I shouldn't have bought two Xbox One X in 2019, though. But I thought the Gears 5 edition looked cool.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo Switch

i own over 100 games, tons of full priced ones....and I barely play them because the damn thing is so uncomfortable to use handheld where it's my Switch or my Switch Lite.

I'm hoping whenever a new revision comes out they make in more comfortable to use then I can actually start enjoying it.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Prolly PSVR. I loved Astrobot but the thing is beyond clunky to set up and there's no way to cable manage it to look decent on a shelf so it remains unhooked and rarely played. Sure showed me that my next jump in VR will be an all in one solution though haha.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
PSVR - twice.
Got it day one, games catalogue was super disappointing. Sold it after three weeks. Years later I bought PSVR again. Had a blast with Astro Bot but besides this I was disappointed again.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The Wii. I was so into the hype back then, Got then barely played it. Ugly visuals and hated the motion controls.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I was very late to the Wii and its library of games...so one day in early 2013, I bought a Wii mini.

It was on sale for $79.99 (20% off its $99 MSRP) and I thought "well shit; for the price of a little more than a game, I can get a console, a game [it came with Mario Kart Wii] and a Wii Motion Plus controller".

Ooooof. That thing was the most stripped-down console imaginable. I knew it had no internet capabilities whatsoever going in (not even Wifi...wtf Nintendo, even a goddamn Raspberry Pi 3 has that), but I was not expecting it to also have zero support for external storage of any kind. There's no SD card slot, and the one USB slot in the back apparently doesn't transfer data of any kind; I guess it's basically there to power various accessories. The only storage you get to save games and whatnot is a couple hundred blocks of onboard memory and that's it. No chance for patches or firmware updates or anything.

(It isn't even that "mini", either. Hell, it's actually taller than a regular Wii laid flat.)

All's well that ends well, though. I managed to give the console away to someone whose Wii broke and wanted a cheap replacement to play Smash Bros. Brawl on; it managed to entertain them for the year or so before Smash 4 came out, so at least it made someone happy. I also sold MK Wii for a little bit, and kept the Wii Motion Plus controller, which is legitimately a solid bit of Nintendo hardware; it was very useful for when Metroid Prime Trilogy came out digitally on the Wii U.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Wii U, Playstation 4, and PS Vita for me.

PS4 actually let me play a couple of amazing games(God of War, Uncharted 4, and Ratchet and Clank) but 3 games in its life time made me not think very fondly of the system that I already wasn't in love with. But the real kicker is I let myself talk myself into buying the PS4 TWICE. I bought it at launch and the PS4 Pro. Not really worth the $800 for 3 games.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
I regret getting a Switch Lite. Played Pokemon Sword and then didn't touch it again.

Wii U, Playstation 4, and PS Vita for me.

PS4 actually let me play a couple of amazing games(God of War, Uncharted 4, and Ratchet and Clank) but 3 games in its life time made me not think very fondly of the system that I already wasn't in love with. But the real kicker is I let myself talk myself into buying the PS4 TWICE. I bought it at launch and the PS4 Pro. Not really worth the $800 for 3 games.

Did you play Horizon Zero Dawn? One of the best games of the last four years.

Jul 1, 2020
Stadia pro starter kit for $0. /s

Handhelds that I buy are pretty rarely used just because I would rather play on a TV. The Switch is a game changer in this aspect because I can play any new Nintendo release the way that I would prefer.

Oct 25, 2017
GameCube. Features some of my least favourite entries of Nintendo's franchises and the controller sucked for non-Nintendo games. Compared to the endless stream of amazing stuff I was playing on Ps2, the GC kinda collected dust. I grew to appreciate it more, and still have one, but I'll never play it again and should REALLY just sell my gameboy player for it since those are worth a decent amount.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Wii U in 2013

My mom was in the hospital for a few weeks at the time, and while sitting with her overnight I saw a thread on the old site about Ebay/Amazon or someplace having a really good deal on the 32GB model. I bought it and forgot about it right away since my mom wound up dying that night, and the Wii U was delivered while I was dealing with funeral arrangements a few days later. I didn't think anything of it at the time but after finally hooking it up and playing it a few weeks later, I realized that anytime I played it (or even just looked at it) that it kept making me think back to her final day, or the feeling of handling her funeral arrangements, until I eventually got rid of it after only a few hours of use.

I know it's dumb, but I just couldn't shake that negative association.

I had something similar around that time where a particular game got strongly associated with a loss like that. It's not dumb at all.

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation 3. Bought a 60GB for $600 US DOLLARS a couple months after launch and probably only used it for less than 100 hours total to actually play games in the last 14 years. I didn't like the controller, or Sony's exclusives, or the XMB. Every time I did wanted to play it I had to download system updates and game updates, which took hours and hours because I had slow internet and also PSN sucked back then, so by the time stuff would actually get updated I was annoyed and pissed off and didn't bother to play anyway.

Waiting for updates was pretty much my entire experience with the PS3. The day I bought it a friend and I excitedly brought it back to my house all eager to play, but the initial system setup and then all of the damn updates took several hours so we couldn't even play it. That was a bad first impression that soured me on the system to this day.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
EGEJ3qs.jpg

I traded with a friend my Intellivision with a couple dozen games for his Vectrex with 4 or 5 titles. After the honeymoon period, I regretted it pretty bad.

The system itself was actually pretty interesting for the time and the vector graphics (think arcade Asteroids) were rad as hell. But the library was shallow as hell and the titles themselves didn't have near the depth of Intellivision releases.

Vectrex games had some cool arcade ports but it felt like that was as far as it went for depth of experience. They were all designed for quick-shot sessions which I quickly grew tired of. Compared to meatier Intellivion software like AD&D Treasure of Tarmin (an actual gd 3D dungeon crawler!), MLB/NFL/PGA sports, legit strat/sim games like Sub Hunt and Utopia. Well, Vectrex offerings felt paper-thin by comparison.

The funny thing is that the Vectrex console is a cool oddity in modern times. And I think it goes for a pretty penny on Ebay. But man, back in the early 80's that damn trade had me full of regrets, lol.