• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Switch.

4 broken joycons. Plus, I own a lot of 1st party Switch games and they're really not all that. I just end up playing Stardew valley again.

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One - Got FOMO and bought one near launch despite already having a PS4. Barely used it and sold it a year later.

3DS - I hate handhelds and still bought this for some reason, I think to play a Pokemon game. Sold it back after a month or so.

Special mention to the Switch. I use it maybe once a year, if that, and the joycons are way too small for my hands so I was forced to buy a Pro controller to even use it. That thing was just not designed for me.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the Wii U. It was super awkward to play with all those accessories, making sure everything was charged for a gaming party was hell. I didn't like using the game pad, but the console forced me to keep it charged cause it was mandatory for some stuff like updating.

And the worst offender is, of course, the library, that while great, is basically being rereleased in full on the Switch, which makes me buy a game i already have on a monthly basis.

It's probably the only console I'm ever going to sell in my adult life.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
32x. Awful console. But it does have one of the best versions of MK2, so it wasn't a complete waste.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. I don't buy things without having an idea if I enjoy it or not and there's not any system that I'm aware of that has 0 games I want to play.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch.
  • Everything looks and runs terribly on it.
  • It's uncomfortable as a portable system.
  • Games cost a lot more on that platform than anywhere else.
  • They don't have a refund policy for digital games.
  • I don't like Nintendo's general approach to game design this generation (non-linear collectathons).

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Wii U for sure. It had a few great games, but it mostly collected dust while I waited for an Animal Crossing game that never came because for some reason they thought Splatoon was a better use of that dev's time and resources.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
No regrets.

I actually regret not buying many old consoles back then (Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1/2) but my family couldn't afford more than 1 console + handheld per generation for me. I've only played Nintendo/PC til the PS3, when I finally earned enough money to start buying multiple consoles.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
An original Xbox at the tail end of its generation had its video output die on me within a couple of sessions of getting it. The retailer I had gotten it at didn't have any more units on the way for an exchange, likely cause it was being cleared out ahead of the 360 announcement. So my option was to straight up return the defective console and trade in all the exclusives I got for it. My disappointment had nothing to do with the quality of the console and its library, but about the amount of research and emotional effort I poured into the purchase as a young teen just to end up with a dud unit as it was seemingly being phased out.

I regretted it as someone already heavily invested PS2, GameCube, GBA and PC. I didn't hold much of a grudge, but it really took 360's fantastic early years (and $599 USD) to earn my interest in the brand again. I took the funds over to a PSP in its launch window, which I enjoyed very much in its early years, so that was ultimately a win.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
Not so much as a regret but their success didn't pan out as I had hoped it would. Besides they all had their charm I suppose so it was worth it for me.

Turbo Express
Turbo-Duo
Sega Nomad
Sega CD (both models)
Sega CD-X
32-X
Atari Jaguar + CD
3DO
Neo Geo
Neo Geo CD
Neo Geo Pocket
Gameboy Pocket
Virtual Boy
Sega Saturn
WiiU
Xbox One w/Kinect

Dec 21, 2020
Ultimately it was the Wii, I liked very few games on it, and rarely turned it on unless it was for those games. There were other titles on it that didn't interest me at all.

Probably my least favorite of all time.

Roli

Apr 16, 2018
I thankfully sold off a lot of my gaming "regrets" as I realized things became more about collecting rather than playing (PSTV, classic edition consoles).

I wouldn't say I technically regret my switch, but after seeing the support it got from third party publishers (sports games/COD) it became clear that my yearning for handheld gaming was based on nostalgia and to stop hoping that there will be support similar to PlayStation or Xbox.

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, it's not that big of a regret but it was definitely my worst console purchasing decision.

I bought an original Xbox towards the tail end of that hardware generation, primarily to play pretty compromised versions of DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2 because our PC wasn't really good enough to play those games good enough.

I shouldn't have really bought it and instead should have waited a year+ and gotten a 360 instead, but I was anticipating the PS3 then and was more deeply immersed in the PlayStation ecosystem at the time so it wasn't really that big of a deal.

I bought a 3DS XL and bought and played a single game: Super Mario 3D Land. I don't regret that at all though.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
f5efd4b21e9eb39ae238604d5c88802b.jpg

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gonna have to be Wii or Wii-U. The Novelty pulled me and ultimately the novelty pushed me away. Lol. I think I found maybe 10 games across both systems that I actually wanted to play.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Getting the 3DS at launch was a bad idea considering the price got cut by, what was it, $75 within 3 months?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Buying the 2ds for $80 just for Pokémon red. I literally never play it. Just wanted Pokémon red and to feel special that I graduated from graduate school. I don't really enjoy it and it really only pushes me to want to buy a. Switch

crimnos

Oct 27, 2017
Phillips CD-i, made worse that I purchased it by selling my genesis and sega cd with all games to purchase it. Those Zelda games and Burn Cycle lured me in. I made some...poor choices.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
PSP. I think I used it a grand told of one time before I ended up selling it back to gamestop. Probably was at the end of the PSPs lifecycle.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation 3, PS Vita, Wii U and the Switch.

Switch is a great system, but I rarely use it.

I mainly use it for Zelda/Smash and the ocasional game here and there. Last game I played was Link's Awakening. May eventually get HW: AOC

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I know some people around here love the thing, but I really regret buying a PS Vita.
I got it at launch and I barely used the thing other than for a few games.

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox One S, especially now that I have a high end PC and can play everything except the BC games on there. Used it very rarely.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Any dedicated handheld basically lol, but that's more of a me issue admittedly. I just can't get into playing stuff on smaller screens. My tablet at 10 inches using one of those desk clamps with a bluetooth connected controller is the lowest I can go.

I bought the PSP, 3DS XL, and Vita, probably only played around 20-30 hours combined on all of them.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I mean I bought a Wii U... The games weren't bad but it didn't get that much action.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Wii U and Switch. To be fair the Switch is not bad, I just no longer have a real interest in Nintendo anymore. I say this at someone who has owned every Nintendo console since the NES (I will still defend the Gamecube). I knew this years ago, but still I keep buying them.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Original xbox. I remember only having like 3 games for it. Driver 3, ninja gaiden , and some wrestling game ( i can't remember the name of it)

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Switch. Bought it and realized I only wanted to play maybe 2 games with hopes more I would like would come eventually. The thing ended up collecting dust for a hot minute so I just got rid of it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
My switch is my least used console of all time and I could really do without it.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
A non-standard answer, but for me, it's a gaming laptop i purchased around 2012. On paper it seemed like a smart idea but after a while it was just too big, too hot, couldn't really tweak the hardware inside other than a RAM bump. I've learned that I personally much prefer a desktop I can tinker around in and have full control over. They seem better now in general but I still am biased against them.

My conventional answer is something like Wii U.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
With my own money? WiiU was a complete waste given that all but one (or two?) of its big games have been ported over or made obsolete, and I didn't care much for them in the first place. I would regret my Switch if it weren't a gift and if I didn't get so much use out of Ring Fit.

I bought a PS2 slim in the hopes that I could finish my game of Final Fantasy XII, which I left off at Phon Coast (I think about 3/4 through the game) and then couldn't go back to because the disc was damaged. I also tried one of those disc scratch erasers with no luck, so I must have really fucked up that disc. I didn't finish FFXII until 2018.

I was also pretty dumb with the DS. I got a DSi in 2011 I think, right before SMTIV was announced for the 3DS, so I got one of those when that game released, and then traded it in for the New 3DS with all its features that I think I've never used once. All in all, I think there's at least $300 in completely redundant hardware there. I even managed to get the one DS model that wouldn't play GBA games.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Xbox One, I put less than 100 hours on it for an entire generation......yeah. I have already played my Series X more.

Switch to a degree. I have yet to play something that really made it worth getting, but I also ignore it for the most part so it's kind of not its fault. My Wii U still has more hours on it.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
PSP Go. I mean I loved it and it was so satisfying sliding it open and all that but it was so limited.

I'm an idiot and thought this just said "portable hardware". Other than that the base Xbox One for sure. I bought the Gears 4 bundle and was so disappointed with how slow the actual console was. The entire "snap" feature didn't work. I mean it worked but the audio would crackle on whatever you were trying to watch side by side. It was just so slow and shitty compared to the PS4 at the time.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox One, the UI was disgusting, i didn't liked Sunset Overdrive, Gears Ultimate was ok but came to realise i didn't like Gears of War and Halo 5 killed all my expectation for the IP future. Wii U can be the second but Mario 3D was amazing.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Ps Vita and OG Xbox One. Only played one game on the Vita: Persona 4 Golden. And the Xbox didn't have any exclusives that interested me and it ran things worse then the PS4.

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
Has anyone said Virtual Boy yet? I didn't buy it, but now I feel really bad asking for it for Christmas. I did have fun with it. The Mario tennis game, Wario and Red Alarm were all fun enough. Just a pain to set everything up. My bigger regret is that I got rid of it, though.

Maybe the Wii U? I feel kinda burned that I bought and supported it the whole cycle, only for most everything to be released somewhere else. I always liked it, though. We still have it hooked up as the Minecraft/emulator machine.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
2DS. because I thought I didn't need 3D. Well, I didn't, but the form factor is just terrible, went back to 3DS and later New 3DS XL.

Wii was also terrible, granted I bought it super late. Wii U > Wii.

PS Vita, great hardware, played through P4 Golden, and that's it? I was kinda done with portable at that point.

OG Xbox One. Forza Horizon 2 was cool,

Edit: Vita should be off the list. Persona 4 Golden was amazing and worth the price of admission.

Last edited:

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
PSVR- Played the good half of RE7 and 3 worlds of astrobot and then I noticed that the VR tech was great, but the level design was boring after Mario Odyssey/Galaxy.
Played a couple of tech demo and couldnt find moves to play beat saber, so I use it like once every 2 months when someone wants to try it.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Mega Drive instead of a SNES.

Seriously. The guy in the shop made me change my mind at the last minute and so did an accompanying friend. Because in the UK the SNES was 'rubbish'. I had spent many many months of my little life saving for a SNES. At least I learned at a very young age not go go with the crowd. Months later I sold it for a SNES :-)

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I asked an R-Zone as a present for Christmas 1996.

Fun fact: mine has the red glass that even the wikipedia photo lacks.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I have owned like 5 3ds variants and have played maybe 2 3ds games to completion.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
PS3

I actually got out of console gaming for 10 years bc of this massive disappointment of a console.

Runner up would be the PSP Go. Didn't realize it'd never have full access to the PSP library. RIP Lumines :(