• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just a special edition Xbox when I already had one. What the hell was the point. Thus I don't buy special editions either in games or consoles ever again. Give me vanilla/boring simplicity.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Original Xbox, it was just Halo, Halo 2, and Mech Assault. PS4, should have just gotten a Pro later in the year despite the constant stream of rumors of a pro. At the time I was using a 2006 720p LCD, so I would receive no benefit from a then theoretical pro.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wii U is the closest I have come to regretting a console purchase, it had some stellar games but the majority have been ported to Switch.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Not really regretted it but Sony's handhelds were never my thing. Imported a japanese PSP at launch, barely played it. Bought a PSP3000 later and a lot of games that I would play "eventually". I had stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, Tactics Ogre etc. - barely played any of these games. Kinda regret selling it, then again, if I didn't bother to play those games years ago, I doubt I would play them now.

Same with the Vita. Had a pretty nice little collection but it never really appealed to me in a way Nintendo handhelds do. Don't know why. Love their consoles.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Underused, but mostly no regrets.

PS5 at launch (Finished Demon's Souls and sold it before Christmas)
PS Vita (P4 Golden and PSN+ device)
Sega 32x (Played Doom)
Sega CD (Played Sonic CD)
3DO
Virtual Boy (Yeah..)
Atari Jaguar (AVP, Tempest and Cannon Fodder Box)
PS4 Pro (Would have been fine with the base PS4)

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Hate to post this, but the PS Vita. Love the idea, and some of the games were good, but the memory cards were an expensive pain (my 64gb had stability issues) and I felt the buttons/joysticks were too small, cramped my hands if I played for more than 10 minutes. I think I spent 3-400 dollars total on the device/cards/accessories and put maybe 25-30 hours total playtime into it over the ~4 years I've owned it. Feels bad :-( On the plus-side, this revealed what I've always suspected about myself but did not discover until I got my Vita, which was my first handheld: although I like the idea of handheld gaming devices, they really aren't for me.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
I find an use for every console I've had, but the one I regret the most would be ps3. Got it after ps4, to play exclusives, and found it slow, cumbersome, and for some reason mine (2nd hand) smelled like a wet dog...

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
So far it is the Switch. Out of the games I played only BOTW was worth it. Other games like Mario Oddysey and Pokemon were big disappointments. 7/10 games at best. And right now the only game I'm looking forward to is BOTW 2 lmao.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One (launch version). I only bought a total of 7 games for it and the disk drive was borked so I never used it for BC.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The GG gets a bad rap because so few people explore its library. And it had a bunch of great games that weren't on SMS (although even the SMS ports had value if you didn't have PAL game access). The GG Shinobi games are awesome action-platformers, better than anything similar on GB or Lynx. Devilish is a great ball/paddle game. Fatal Fury Special was as good as portable fighting got pre-NGPC. The Aleste games are among the best portable shooters. Crystal Warriors was an impressive SRPG at a time when so few got localized. I had both the GB and GG and I think they were a good match with different strengths and weaknesses.
I really do need to give it more of a chance. I'm know my dissatisfaction comes from a place of ignorance.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Wii U. I didn't really want one but got a good deal in time to play BotW. I wish I would have gone with the Switch instead.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on if we consider the Kinect a platform or an accessory. If the former, definitely that for me.

If not, then the Virtual Boy. That thing ate batteries like nothing, had a limited library, and left you seeing red if used for extended periods.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
Vita. I think it's the only console I've ever sold without having another way to play the games on said system. Especially now that everything of value has left the system I really could have been completely fine not bothering with it at all.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
GBA.

Such a bad device because of the screen. They fixed it with the SP, but then made the actual design much worse.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The closest probably is the XBox One S. Because I own a gaming PC and Microsoft's abandonment of XBox exclusive games, my XBox One S is for the most part irrelevant. The only thing keeping it from completely collecting dust is the BC and occasional game that drops in value faster physically on XBO than on digital platforms like Steam.

I'm actually on my second XBox One S. I traded in my first one into Gamestop when they were doing a trade-in bonus promo to buy a Switch, then bought another one a year or so later when some big eBay seller was offloading a ton of unsold stock for like $160. Didn't really miss owning it for that year.

I don't really regret buying an XBO either time, but it's definitely the most "why do I need this?" console I own. Even my WiiU has more reasons to exist on my shelf than my XBO.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Just the PSVR really for me, it just feels dated and cumbersome next to it's competitors. A close second would be the Atari Jaguar but that had Iron Soldier and Alien Vs Predator both of which I absolutely loved at the time.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Switch Lite. Had an OG switch that I absolutely loved, got the Lite and realized I just didn't need it. Cool device, though.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, I genuinely can't think of a single one. Probably because I don't buy many (e.g., my roommate and a couple of close friends had xbox so I could always just go play on their system and not actually buy it lol)

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
PS3, mainly because the thing is unbelievably flawed in its cooling design so the more years pass, the hotter it will run due to crappy thermal paste.

Hate to post this, but the PS Vita. Love the idea, and some of the games were good, but the memory cards were an expensive pain (my 64gb had stability issues) and I felt the buttons/joysticks were too small, cramped my hands if I played for more than 10 minutes. I think I spent 3-400 dollars total on the device/cards/accessories and put maybe 25-30 hours total playtime into it over the ~4 years I've owned it. Feels bad :-( On the plus-side, this revealed what I've always suspected about myself but did not discover until I got my Vita, which was my first handheld: although I like the idea of handheld gaming devices, they really aren't for me.

I have no idea why Sony made the buttons and joysticks that small.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I normally don't regret buying consoles or portables. So, this is pretty light on the "regret scale". Having said that, it's the original Wii.

It's the least-played Nintendo console I owned, and I've owned them all aside from Virtual Boy.

Not trying to troll, just being honest. The extra hassle with the controllers, setup with the TV, and the game library just didn't jive with what I wanted at the time.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Switch in the first year. Tried BoTW but couldn't get into it despite liking other 3D Zeldas. Returned it within a week, bought another after Smash released.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I can't say Wii U, because my kids ended up loving the hell out of that console.

For me, it would probably be the 360. That whole console generation might be my least favorite - it felt like almost any game that was geared toward my interests was on a portable system. I probably played just as few games on my PS3 as I did on the 360, but the PS3 got a lot more use being a media center... and I managed to get it for only $380 brand-new just several months after it launched. If I had payed $600+tax for it, I'd be a lot more disappointed.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So far none. At most the PS4. Sony exclusives don't interest me and I play all third party games in my PC. After my new Smart TV came, the PS4 is collecting dust.

Kami

Jul 13, 2020
Game Boy Micro. Paying MORE for a tiny screen was absolutely idiotic in retrospect.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Bought 2x GTX 970s on launch to replace my 2xGTX 670s..

Well we had the whole 3.5gb thing but then sli just became less supported and more shit.. and then Nvidia released the gtx 980ti..

Dropped those 970s like a hot potato and picked up a gtx 980ti...

Managed to sell the 970s that means I wasn't completely out of pocket but still... Wish I'd not bothered..

Edit: just forgot to read the word "portable" and saw just hardware in thread title...

But the above still stands

doops.

Jun 3, 2020
I bought the special edition Spider-Man PS4 Pro because I was getting sick of my then-current Pro's fan problems.

Then I found out that everyone has fan problems.

The Spidey Pro was somehow worse, if anything also.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I'm not one for regrets, but Wii U and Switch are the consoles I've bought and played very little on. At least with the switch, i actually played a fair amount of the first year or so. But I haven't touched it properly since smash, and i only put about 20 hours into that i think.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
I honestly don't think there's a platform that I've regretted buying, but there's a couple of iterations I've made mistakes on:

2DS (original): form factor isn't comfortable for me, and the game I bought it for (Samus Returns) didn't grab me like I thought it would. I owned a DS lite and know that between the DS and 3DS there are loads of great games out there, but don't have an interest in going back now

Xbox One OG: I bought the version that removed Kinect, but barely touched it minus Fifa and some disappointing Halo MCC time in the early days. I decided to trade it in for the One X when that RDR2 promotion was going on at GameStop, and it was such an improvement that it got me back into Xbox

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I finally bit the bullet and bought a Vita specifically so I could play Persona 4 Golden...only for Atlas to reveal it was coming to Steam about six months later.

Just when I'd given up hope of the port coming lol.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Probably the Xbox One X. Bought it a year or so after it came out to hop back into the Xbox ecosystem. Touched it maybe a few times and regretted it. None of the single player exclusives caught my attention. Plus, all of my friends were on PS so I had nobody to play with. With that being said, I did end up getting a Series X and I am loving it. Been playing Gears and SoT (2 of my friends decided to pick one up at launch too; helps to have people to play with).

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man, all these people saying Vita just makes me miss my Vita (it broke a few months ago after I'd owned it since a little after launch). I've been looking for a PS5 in vain, but honestly, I'd be even more excited to find a brand new Vita in stores.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure. I loved the Wii U - that seems to be a popular answer. The Wii is probably my least favorite console. It had some truly good games but they were few and far between for me.

Original Xbox didn't stick with me, thinking about it.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
PS Vita but not necessarily because it was a bad console nor not having good games, I loved my time with it and heck I probably enjoyed more than my ps4 the problem was that I was basically done with it after just 1 - 2 years, shame sony decided to just kill the console.

Oct 27, 2017
My biggest regret is NOT buying hardware. I didn't play games 2000-2004. And even when I got back into it, I regret not getting a ps2 (had Xbox to spite my dad in a silly 16 year old move) or a $80-$100 cube in 2004.

also, getting $300 for graduation in 2006 and only going to 1 store to find a 360. The store didn't have it and said they were sold out everywhere. They weren't but even then I wish I saved the $ and got a 360 then.

I had a Wii 2006-2010 (and PS3 in 2008) but prime 360 2006-2010 was something else

but for purchases I'd say 2014 Xbox one. Games I wanted didn't come, PS4 had more than enough to play and switch eventually came too. I sold it and rebought Xbox one Xmas 2019 and that was the best idea coz I had a whole gen of exclusives, albeit smaller, to play via GP.