• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The earliest one I can remember is getting a game gear over a gameboy or snes/genesis. I thought, hey, why get a snes/genesis when I can have that type of machine be portable! The gameboy looked ancient the next to the game gear as well.

After getting it I could immediately tell I made a mistake. The thing was massive, drank 6 AA's like water and ran games that were baby versions of real 16bit titles.

Some other regrets were the 2DS, wanted access to the library at a cheap price, hated it. Xbox one fat, it was huge, external powerbrick, underpowered and halo mcc was dogshit at launch. Wii u was a waste of money too, no idea why I bought that.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Xbox One. Used it for Sunset Overdrive and Lost Odyssey and that was pretty much it. It's gathering dust in the closet.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Original 3DS I got like 8 months ago. I don't necessarily dislike it and the library is fantastic, but I should have just sprung for the N3DS even though they're more expensive/harder to find.

Oct 27, 2017
1: Switch

I generally don't care much for Nintendo's first party games, and third party games I'll just get on PS4 for better graphics and trophies. Mario Odyssey was OK and BotW was boring as shit, and after that it's been dry as shit for exclusive games that interest me.

2: PSVR

It's not really bad, but I just never can be arsed to fire it up. I need to play Astro Bot tho..

3: PSP

Just gives me hand cramps if I play it for extended periods of time, and the kind of games it had that I liked would've been better on PS2 tbh.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fail to understand how anyone could regret buying a Wii U. Had so many good games it's ridiculous.

For me, dunno if this counts but an Oculus Rift. Not enough substantial games, I didn't have enough room for it, the version I got only came with 2 cameras so I didn't get full tracking and it's a big pain to set up and takes up too much room by my pc. Put me off VR big time.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Probably Wii U, but even that I wouldn't say I regretted is as it got a decent amount of usage.

My regrets have largely been peripherals. PSVR (just ended up not liking VR), Racing wheel/pedals/stand--just didn't get into racing sims and preferred stuff like Forza Horizon with a controller, fight stick--didn't get back into fighting games and things like MK I do play sometimes I like better with controller.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Vita and WiiU.

Vita was actually a gift. I felt really bad not getting much use out of it, even if Tearaway was really creative.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Xbox HD-DVD drive AFTER the format tanked because I figured I could get a ton of high-def movies at bargain basement prices. This was true, but I never bothered with the inconvenience of hooking the thing up and probably watched a grand total of 2 movies on the damn thing. It's still sitting in a drawer in my bedroom, but probably belongs in a museum.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I regret it less now since it looks cool but I was really excited about the Pikachu n3DSXL since I loved the Pikachu 3DSXL (the nipple one) that I had. I learned about the TN/IPS screen thing a little after buying it and realized my old MH n3DSXL had dual IPS and wasn't really worth the downgrade for the Pikachu one.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah buying the psp was kind of a waste for me. I think I played a handful of games tops and I was never on the go so I'd rather just play what was on my TV and consoles. Kind of forced myself to play those games.

PSVR at launch was also a mistake. RE7 and Astrobot were nice experiences but wired is just too big of a pain to setup with that old breakout box that didn't passthrough HDR so you'd have to do swap cables.

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Definitely PSP. I think the game I played most on that was Final Fantasy VII. Then it sat it a plastic tub for years until I found it and the battery had popped out of it because it had swelled up so bad.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
PS4 for me.
Bought it bcause Destiny wasn't coming to PC, got the Taken King limited edition too.
PS4 has nice games, but only cared about a handful of games.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Probably 3ds. I barely played that thing. Basically a FE machine.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wii, Wii U, Vita...not necessarily in that order...but maybe. Switch is right up there too, but Hades kind of made it must-have for me this year.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
2DS/3DS horrible for my hands crampy as heck and terrible visuals for that time period

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I have ever regretted buying gaming hardware. I was pissed off at the 360's RROD but my first machine was replaced under warranty so I still got a few years out of that purchase.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Game Boy Advance for me. Got it for FFTA which I didn't like and that soured the whole experience for me. Not that the system didn't have a few good games (I like the GBA Tactics Ogre & Metroid Fusion), but I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did the original Game Boy or the DS/3DS.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i bought a 3ds the month before the vita came out and have no idea why, i don't think it had much released at the time and i was pretty much done with everything a month or 2 after the vita came out so i sold it

hopefully when the switch pro comes out it won't turn out like that since most non AAA Japanese devs are heading for it and avoiding the PS4/PS5

joefro

â–² Legend â–²
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Wii U, PSPgo and Vita. It's not that I necessarily regret the purchases, I just didn't use the hardware much. So I guess I do regret wasting the money, I guess.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, PS Vita. The console itself is really nice, but yeah wasted potential, didn't end up using it much

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I don't really regret it, but 3DS is by far my least-used system. I only played 2 games on it, 1 of which is a SNES game. The library just isn't for me.

Last edited:

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Switch

I haven't cared for most of Nintendo's first party output on this device. The hardware has fallen apart on me faster than any other system I've owned. I've come to really hate the joycons.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS Move or whatever the PS3's Wii ripoff was called. I think I had all of two games that supported it and neither was anything you would want to play more than once or twice.

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 - Price dropped by $100 shortly after getting it. Nothing to play for the first few years ~.~ Just a fancy PS2 for a while.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Vita is probably what I played the least. I bought is used after I SD2Vita launched though, so it's a PSP/emulation machine for me too. I had a PSTV for a few months and sold it after playing about 10 Hrs of Persona 4.

I didn't play many Wii U games, but I had hundreds of hours of local Smash Bros play during college.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
Switch probably, dont hate the system per se, but the only game that I have actually play a decent amount is XC2, portability is not really a factor for me.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
None but if I had to pick? The Switch, especially as someone that loved their Wii U a lot and played most games that were ported. The only reason I say none is because in 2020 I started using it a bit more due to Xenoblade, 3D All Stars and Hades, the portable aspect is still useless for me tho,I would trade this one for a Pro dock only tbh.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The only thing I regret about the WiiU is that Nintendo has been trying to re-sell me the same games I already bought, again, and at full price on the Switch.

The only piece of hardware I regret buying is my original PS3. I got it before they axed backwards compatibility and then proceeded to never use it (or the absurd array of memory card slots). Could have waited, spent less, and gotten a console that wasn't a huge fingerprint magnet. Oh well.