• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Virtua Fighter 1 to Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn

a console that by all rights has no business producing 3D graphics no less

This is a great shout.

Virtua Fighter at launch was 240i at 30fps.
Virtua Fighter 2 looked significantly better and jumped up to a 'high resolution' 480i at a perfect 60fps. Dreamy.

Virtua_Fighter_Saturn_Gameplay.png

SATURNEU--Virtua%20Fighter%202_Aug8%2018_28_21.png

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's an interesting progression. Halo 4 is much more richly-detailed and has a vastly more refined appearance, but a lot of compromization was involved.

For instance, Halo 4 creates more headroom for the quality of static stuff by minimizing the amount of vibrant gameplay-related dynamic effects. When it comes to stuff like explosions, Halo Reach uses a much heavier sprawl of particulars and transparent layers; and although Halo 3's full-resolution transparencies and dual backbuffer severely limit transparency fillrate, the game's investments do pay some dividends. For example, the extreme HDR depth allows the game to do this by merely drawing a single texture layer:

f1zmSnK.png

Similarly, the quality of dynamic lighting was paired way back. Halo 4 uses huge numbers of small diffuse-only point lights (this is very cheap to do deferred), but this is just about all it uses for gameplay-related effects. The game aggressively avoids using large lights or lights with specular reflections. It also avoids spotlights: the obvious example of this is the omission of a flashlight mechanism like existed in all prior Halo campaigns, but even things like vehicle headlights are actually rendered as point lights that float in front of a vehicle. This ends up looking flat-out bizarre when driving a tank on rough terrain in Halo 4, as you can watch the pointlights that make up the headlighting bobbing in and out of the ground.
This isn't just a compromise compared with Halo Reach or Halo 3, it's a compromise even if we're comparing it to Halo 1 on the original Xbox. Halo 1 has many large light sources, most prominent light sources cast specular reflections, and the game uses very large spotlights for the flashlight or vehicle headlights. Halo 1 is able to use large high-quality light sources to highlight important gameplay events (such as the location of a plasma grenade), and the specularity really helps to sell the game's lighting and materials:

670w5bI.png

Stuff like these sorts of lights, or the different use of transparencies, adds a lot of vibrancy and expressiveness in motion that Halo 4 sorely lacks.

There are a lot of other subtleties, like how Halo 3's ambitious lighting model allows it to use very complex mid-glossy materials without suffering from the hazy rim lighting that plagues Halo 4 (and that even plagues a lot of eighth-gen games). The Order 1886 is a notable example of a game which doesn't have this issue... and it's a game where the developers directly referenced Halo 3's lighting system as an inspiration for their approach to indirect specular lighting.

A great example of fine-tuning visual trickery for the use case. Loads of areas in RSC2 look silly if you stop and look around, like how forests are often just a row or two of trees backed by a tree-textured wall.

At the end of the day though, I don't really have a strong visual preference for one game over the other. RSC1's clean and clear style has its own appeal for me, especially on the snow courses. They're certainly both incredible games.

One thing where RSC1 has a big edge over RSC2 though... switching between 60fps gameplay and 30fps replays is bullshit.
Huh, I never knew that, never even noticed those Halo 3 details. In the end Halo 4 still comes off as an incredible upgrade, I guess it's post-effect trickery or something, I think it was among the top games on 360 when it comes to visuals, it's only downside was the framerate.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also gonna go with MK11.

Because the other examples you guys give were still decent.

8319572b0998e2b0fa73a8e93114ab32.png

aa571d622c027ab1e9b1157e9ef85919.jpg

MKX was fugly.

Mani

Jan 14, 2018
London
Wow...I never played the first one, I'd seen screens of Nate from it before but dayum that certainly looks more dated than I expected.
Our brain covers up a lot of these visual/technical flaws within our memory of playing these old games. Going back and checking old games side by side with new ones can show how little we actually observed them while playing and most of the little details we remember are misconducts of our memories by the brain over time. Funny how it works!

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Capcom. Megaman 9 to basically anything they made on the PS360.

( Yeah, that's not the spirit of the question at all. :P )

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, good point - I thought Crystal was GBC only but no, you can still play it on the OG Game Boy. What an acomplishment!
Crystal's GBC only. Gold and Silver were playable on both GB and GBC. I think the only graphical difference between G/S and Crystal were that Pokémon had 3–5 frames of encounter animation in Crystal, but we're static in G/S

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I think it would be interesting to also look at performance of a given title. It is easy to improve graphics while absolutely tanking performance, something which was quite common towards the end of last Gen.

Lihwem

Mar 17, 2020
Crystal's GBC only. Gold and Silver were playable on both GB and GBC. I think the only graphical difference between G/S and Crystal were that Pokémon had 3–5 frames of encounter animation in Crystal, but we're static in G/S
Oh, yeah, as I thought originally, but then I saw a pic of a Crystal GB/GBC cart like G/S had (with the small dent at the top) but you're right, it was a fake

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Zone of the Enders was basically Kojima Productions' PS2 tech demo and it shows, compared to its sequel and especially to Metal Gear Solid 3 it's very graphically barebones. They were very clever with the setting and character designs though, to the extent it's not actually that noticeable. The pre-rendered cutscenes are actually the ugliest part.

Yakuza was cross-gen for a while so it's maybe not fair but the leap between Ishin/Zero/Kiwami to the later games is impressive

maxresdefault.jpg

It's mostly in the gameplay though - going into buildings seamlessly is weirdly impressive

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I find sidegrades interesting too. Where developers who aren't technical wizards find compromise. Felt like that with Tekken last generation. They began with Tekken 5 Dark Reserrection Online, a port of an arcade game that was built off a game meant for PS2.

Simple lighting and textures, but good resolution.

Then Tekken 6 came. Redid the character models and textures completely, plus introduced new lighting and motion blur. Notable hit to resolution though.

Then Tekken Tag Tournament 2, the compromise. Dialed back some of Tekken 6's effects, focused on brighter colored characters and art, but with flatter (and less bloomy) lighting and lower quality motion blur. Retouched a few models, sometimes for the better visually, sometimes for the worse. Came out with a better resolution though.

And I guess there was Tekken Revolution too, which tweaked a few things but was mostly based directly on TTT2.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I thought Tekken 1 to Tekken 3 on the original PlayStation was a pretty dramatic progression.

EDIT: Beaten by a country mile, but I stand by my contribution.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
FF4 was originally a famicom game and 1993-ish square decided to double down on cutting edge gfx (which gave us FF7 and eventually The Spirits Within, which in some alt reality would've resulted in a string of state of the art hollywood productions)

but credit is due where it's due. i remember even Secret of Mana being fairly mindblowing at the time then Chrono Tigger, FFVI, Seiken Densetsu 3 ect blew it out of the water in short order
For sure FF4 is cheating a bit in that regard. Gotta be mentioned for a thread like this though haha.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Here's a picture from one of my games in 2009.
Molly-the-Were-Zompire.jpg

Here's a couple of pictures from one of my games in 2013:
rs4-traininterior.png

RS4_prSc6.png

Both games were released on the Xbox 360.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Though there are plenty of developers that went bonkers graphically within the NES/SNES generation, Nintendo and SquareSoft own this transition. Happy to see posters post pics of said transition.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Uncharted 1 to Last of Us (PS3)
MKX to MK11 (PS4/XBO)
GTAIV to GTAV (PS3/360)
Halo 3 to Destiny (360)
Witcher 3 to Cyberpunk 2077 (PS4/XBO)
ESIV Morrowind to ESV Skyrim (360)
Assassin's Creed to Assassin's Creed IV (PS3/360)

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Our brain covers up a lot of these visual/technical flaws within our memory of playing these old games. Going back and checking old games side by side with new ones can show how little we actually observed them while playing and most of the little details we remember are misconducts of our memories by the brain over time. Funny how it works!

Yeah I've always found perceived changes of the evolution of real time graphics interesting from a psychological pov, how older games that clearly do not look photo realistic were at the time touted as such. Part of this is advertising influence but still its interesting how we change our perceptions of what the gold standard is for realism through the gens.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's a lot more complicated than that.

Halo 4's static lighting is actually extremely complex and "accurate" in terms of making reasonable use of the light sourcing data that it accounts for.
And, it's leveraging some neat tricks to boost precision of that sourcing in certain regards. For example, Halo 4's lightmap system has an efficient scheme for using higher resolution of direct-light information in texels where a lot of high-frequency stuff is happening, which allows it to cheaply enjoy much higher-resolution baked shadow boundaries than 3 and Reach.

Although Halo 4 does use a lot of emissive textures without light casting, this isn't especially unique. And, Halo 4 is actually much more consistent about having plasma gun shots cast lights than Halo 3 is, since Halo 4's support for cheap deferred lights means that it can get away with it. I think that Halo 3 is better about having lights from gameplay effects look good, but there's no question that Halo 4 casts lights from all kinds of little things. For a rather whacky example, Halo 4 actually places point lights to illuminate assault rifle shot impacts.

I don't know what plasma gun shot you're referring to as not lighting the environment. In Halo 4, even non-overcharged plasma pistol shots cast a small green diffuse point light.

This is very speculative on my part, but although the dual-framebuffer solution was given as an explanation for the low resolution, I think it was only one piece in a web of decisions that were consistent with each other. My suspicion is that it was offered as *the* explanation mostly because it was the easiest to explain to the general public.

For instance, although the dual backbuffer increases memory cost, it also halves the fillrate that the game can extract from the ROPs. But the game uses some lighting solutions that have very high per-pixel computational costs, so a low resolution might have made sense anyway, and the poor fillrate might not be much of a bottleneck except insofar as it prevents the game from enjoying fast transparencies.

I think you're misinterpreting what these HDR backbuffers actually do. The Halo 3 scarab explosion that you're referencing is mostly created not by light sources, but by a "fireball" texture combined with a color grading solution that temporarily adjusts tint, gamma, and exposure. The main contribution of the HDR to the scarab explosion is that the game is able to interpret the fireball texture as being much brighter than the SDR "white" level, which makes the bloom system go crazy with it.
In other words, Halo 3 does make aggressive use of emissive textures, it's just really good at it.

I don't think that a lack of HDR depth is the main reason that Halo 4 avoids large high-quality light sources. After all, Halo 1 has loads of big high-quality lights despite being SDR, and they look decent enough. I believe that Halo 4 avoids big high-quality lights mostly because they're expensive to render.
I see thanks for the informative explanation. Regarding the dual framebuffer part, I remember that the calculations of the two framebuffer at 720P simply didn't fit in 10MB and back then most games that didn't manage to fit the framebuffer in 10MB went subHD as not many (if any) games resorted to tiling, which was something that quite a few games that released later in the gen did to keep a 720P framebuffer.

As for plasma gun, I was talking about plasma pistol.

I still think Halo 3's subtle lighting looks better and preserves texture detail better than Halo 4 where I'd often notice a white crush or close to it. Though I personally consider Reach to be the best looking one in terms of art and tech balance vs both halo 3 and Halo 4.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I see thanks for the explanation. As for plasma gun, I was talking about plasma pistol.

I still think Halo 3's subtle lighting looks better and preserves texture detail better than Halo 4 where I'd often notice a white crush or close to it. Though I personally consider Reach to be the best looking one in terms of art and tech balance vs both halo 3 and Halo 4.

Halo -> Halo 2 is a bigger jump I think