• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't finished it yet so I can't say for sure how I'll ultimately feel about it, but Spiritfarer is so good (so far). Don't sleep on it, ya'll. It's on GamePass too.

Jan 15, 2018
Wasteland 3, I was not a fan of 2, it was clunky, dated, and wasted its story. 3 came out and totally succeeds everywhere 2 failed, it's actually enjoyable to play, the story is really good, and the game reacts extremely well to your choices.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The Wonderful 101's Kickstarter. One of my favourite games ever, but a massive bomb, and not in my wildest dreams did I dare to expect anything more than maybe a digital Switch port. Then all of a sudden it's on Kickstarter, it's smashing the target, PS4 confirmed, PC confirmed, DLC confirmed. I played 60 hours of The Wonderful 101 on PC this year. It's a dream come true.

Oct 27, 2017
If Tony Hawk doesn't fall at the final hurdle, it'll be Tony Hawk.

THPS5 wasn't that long ago. Thank you Crash fans for showing Activision that good remasters can sell gangbusters.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2
I won't lie, I had about a dozen predictions and I thought that the sequel could not reach the same heights as its predecessor. I was very wrong, this game is just insane in all aspects of single player gaming. I want more.

Also the PS5 design was...
200w.gif

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Eiyuu kickstarter from Suikoden staff.
Nexomon: Extinction

I had never heard of this game until 2 weeks ago, but I'm loving it so far. It's definitely a Pokemon clone, but it does enough things differently to still have it's own identity, most notably not really locking you out of any areas, at least now that I've seen so far. I actively encourages you to get out, catch things, and explore. It also has a neat system where "tamers" will rebattle you every 15 minutes or so instead of being one and done. It has some gorgeous art too.

image.png

nexomon-extinction-switch-screenshot05.jpg
Damn...I'm sold. This game is super cheap on Steam.

Oct 28, 2017
Animal Crossing being the biggest game on the planet. Danny Trejo showing up on a Animal Crossing Talk Show? Political Signs of the Presidential Election in game?

Never saw it coming.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a pretty good year of gaming given the circumstances, and with titles being delayed, and other aspects of the hobby flying by the seat of its pants, it's always nice to play a great game that kinda came out of nowhere.

For me, it's Huntdown. Like, goddamn does this game hit all of the right buttons; amazing pixel art, neon dystopia, great gameplay loop, fun boss fights, really good sound effects and music, perfect for 10 to 20 minute gaming sessions.

I'm shocked by how polished Huntdown is. It's just so well thought out. Everything is performing at a AAA level for a retro indie game.

Oh man, saw the title and come to post about Huntdown and you already it stated why it's a gem! Glad it's getting more love!

Easily best indie game this year in my books. The game is also very tough but very fair with checkpoints so if you die it's not a long hime back but straight into the action close to were you died

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I know it's a AAA title, but honestly for me it's been Call of Duty Warzone. I've never been the biggest fan of the franchise, I used to only buy the Black Ops series but I bailed out after the horrendous Black Ops III. Well, it's basically the only title that I've been playing constantly since April. I've got 200 hours in it with no end in sight soon and I am all in.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Nexomon: Extinction

I had never heard of this game until 2 weeks ago, but I'm loving it so far. It's definitely a Pokemon clone, but it does enough things differently to still have it's own identity, most notably not really locking you out of any areas, at least now that I've seen so far. I actively encourages you to get out, catch things, and explore. It also has a neat system where "tamers" will rebattle you every 15 minutes or so instead of being one and done. It has some gorgeous art too.

image.png

nexomon-extinction-switch-screenshot05.jpg

Absolutely this for me too! You sum it up beautifully but a wonderful game. 😊

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
To me it's Spiritfarer

I'm not much into indies. I like them, but they are never GOTY material to me.

But this game, man. It has heart, it's gorgeous, characters are great, the gameplay loop is awesome, the soundtrack is ace

I haven't finished it yet, but it's really really good. A stand out in a year full of amazing games.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Wasteland 3 or Persona 4 Golden dropping on Steam.

It's been a pretty good year of gaming given the circumstances, and with titles being delayed, and other aspects of the hobby flying by the seat of its pants, it's always nice to play a great game that kinda came out of nowhere.

For me, it's Huntdown. Like, goddamn does this game hit all of the right buttons; amazing pixel art, neon dystopia, great gameplay loop, fun boss fights, really good sound effects and music, perfect for 10 to 20 minute gaming sessions.

I'm shocked by how polished Huntdown is. It's just so well thought out. Everything is performing at a AAA level for a retro indie game.

Damn, thanks for the heads up. This looks great.

Oct 25, 2017
i'll have to agree with Huntdown. It's an INCREDIBLE game that came out of nowhere (as in: sudden release date) and it's SO polished.

runner ups:

Spiritfarer and Fall Guys

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine reading a 'PS5 mockup & fan renders' thread in December 2019

And you come across these things..

960x0.jpg

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely FF7R being so surprisingly good and Ghost of Tsushima delivering on everything I was expecting it to be

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have much hype for FF7R, but after playing it I was surprised by a number of things. It's quality is way higher than I would have guessed.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
Fall Guys
Mortal Shell
Wallachia: Reign of Dracula
Kunai
Panzer Paladin
Streets of Rage 4
Huntdown
Maneater

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Nexomon: Extinction will definitely be up there if it keeps this up, loving the games humor so far and actually had mons die in battle which I genuinely can't remember happening in Pokemon Sword at all, certainly not in the first hour or so.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
  • Final Fantasy XIV 5.3 Story
  • Persona 4 on PC
  • Playstation 5 Design
  • That we have September and still no price on either console
  • Pre-order reservations without a price
  • Fall Guys

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Fall Guys and Avengers have to be top 2 for me
Fall Guys becoming a massive success and Avengers receiving praise well beyond anything I expected

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
little gameplay and no prices for next gen hardware

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
For me it was to be Wasteland 3. I didn't enjoy W2 much but W3 right now is my GOTY. I'm close to 30hrs and I just cant put it down.

Oct 27, 2017
I was very surprised that FF7r was as good as it was, and for just part 1. I was really expecting to not like it up until they released that demo. Then I started getting excited and loved it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Coffee Talk, which is a great out of nowhere indie VN game that has a banging soundtrack and overall amazing vibe

CrossCode. tony Hawk remakes, and TLOU2 plot have been great surprises for me too

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Puyo Puyo Tetris 2 not only being a thing but being announced and released at the same time all over the world is something I never thought I'd see happen.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Animal Crossing getting as big as it got. That was (and still is) incredible. I loved seeing it take the world by storm.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding being the third-best AAA game released this generation behind Breath of the Wild and Bloodborne, and the second best game Kojima has produced after MGS V.

What a fucking masterpiece.