• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Wait where else would a person who has a truck as a daily driver put it?

Pick up trucks are built for tradespeople. People that actually use the functionality of one day in and day out. For many of those, it's just another tool. They also understand the drawbacks of owning one unlike DIYers or daily drivers.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
All vehicles are growing larger in size, not just suv's and trucks. I parked my 1998 volvo next to a chrysler 300 the other day and my volvo looked tiny in comparison.

Just think if you drive an actual small car. Though I guess a mini will look anything look big in comparison.
wKbcm.jpg

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Don't really have that issue when i'm driving my Tiguan.
If the space is not enough just take a different spot.

Dec 24, 2017
I miss small pickup trucks. Like how the Ranger was when I was a kid.

says the person who is calculating payments on a Chevy Colorado Bison.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here in Oregon so many people have these massive sized 60k vehicles. Where they get the money from I dunno.
If they're anything like my mother they find a way to get it in the garage for the half of the month where they have to worry about it getting repossessed because they didn't make the payments.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I know someone who wipes their dog's shit onto people's improperly parked cars' door handles.

The hero we need

84 month loans , isn't life grand

Everytime an article comes out about the expanding length of the average car loan (and the drastic increase in carry-over debt, so car payments for a traded in car that still had debt folded into the car payment for a *new* car) I wonder how long this trend can last before it comes to a head.

This is preventing me from getting a cybertruck at the moment.

I would think it not existing yet would be a bigger issue :p

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Another problem from bigger cars is that the reduced space between cars makes you way more likely to hit the door of the car parked next to you when you're getting out.

My car is pretty messed up with dings from other doors at this point, and I'm not sure if it's because cars are getting bigger, or because I happen to keep parking next to assholes. Maybe both?

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
All vehicles are growing larger in size, not just suv's and trucks. I parked my 1998 volvo next to a chrysler 300 the other day and my volvo looked tiny in comparison.

Just think if you drive an actual small car. Though I guess a mini will look anything look big in comparison.
wKbcm.jpg
A new mini would dwarf the old one also. Cars are way bigger across the board. If you drive anything from the 90s, you would be shocked how much more narrow everything was.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Everytime i get in my 2019 forester i realize just how small it is compared to other SUV's and just contemplate on why the fuck would i need something so big. It's amazing how many other vehicles make mine like dwarfish in size.

Arrakis

Oct 30, 2017
ontario,canada
The hero we need

Everytime an article comes out about the expanding length of the average car loan (and the drastic increase in carry-over debt, so car payments for a traded in car that still had debt folded into the car payment for a *new* car) I wonder how long this trend can last before it comes to a head.

I would think it not existing yet would be a bigger issue :p
I work in I insurance and the bills of sale that I see are mind boggling , some people are rolling 25-40k of their existing loan into a brand new truck that's coming back at 40-55k , the auto industry is going to squeeze every penny out of people before they implode

Crocodilelogic

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I hate when my father in law visits in his asshole mobile Escalade. I can barely get out of my driveway.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I've always had small cars and I've always had trouble with space so the next vehicle I get will be an SUV, probably a hybrid rav 4 which has more fuel economy than the small cars I drive now anyways.

My father in law has a big SUV (like 3 rows and a giant trunk) which he needs for work as he is always hauling around stuff for his houses that he manages. I don't know some people do need big vehicles.

That said I'd never buy a truck but I get why some people need them. I used to have to get a friend with a truck to help me every time I bought something from Ikea.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All you assholes that park your massive cars next to compact cars need Jesus. I can't see when I back out, it's crazy

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new mini would dwarf the old one also. Cars are way bigger across the board. If you drive anything from the 90s, you would be shocked how much more narrow everything was.
To be fair modern cars are also way safer and can handle impacts better.

Whether or not size plays into that, I don't know. But I do know I would not want to put my kids into a car from the 90s anymore.

OP
OP
whatsinaname

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else have this problem where super large trucks sneak almost up to the crosswalk at red lights and block your Right Turn on red view?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
To be fair modern cars are also way safer and can handle impacts better.

Whether or not size plays into that, I don't know. But I do know I would not want to put my kids into a car from the 90s anymore.

Yeah, some of it is safety, another is people just wanting larger cars.

though 90s cars are still somewhat safe by modern standards depending on what it is. Just not like today where every car is really safe.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's crazy, even in NY I was losing it at the size of people's cars, like, a Ford Raptor is a huge pickup truck as far as I'm concerned, and it's not even sold in the US because they think it's small and puny and want the even bigger F-150.

Crazy stuff.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've noticed it becoming an increasing problem here in the UK. We're years behind the US in terms of the size of them (we're still in the SUV/crossover stage, with pickups a rarity), but a lot of our road infrastructure wasn't even built around cars, let alone these stupid giant things. Lots of urban and suburban houses don't even have off-road parking, so you have Nissan Qashqais and Audi A3s parked on both sides of roads that are barely wide enough for two cars to pass each other.

Public car parks are awful too because they don't fit in spaces and the people driving them have the parking skill of a banana.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood the popularity of SUVs. I get why people like them, like safety, but I just can't get myself to drive or like an SUV. I prefer smaller cars and sedans.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I find that about 99% of the people who have these big ass, expensive vehicles don't actually "need" them. Most of the time when I see a gigantic pickup truck on the road, it looks like it has never seen a day of work in its life.

I hang out in the personal finance subreddit fairly regularly. You would not BELIEVE the amount of people who are looking to buy one of these cars that they clearly can't afford. Some of the reasons given:

"I need it to be safe." - I drive a 2008 Mazda 3. It has air bags, it has traction control, it has seatbelts, it has crumple zones, and it has latches for child seats. You don't "need" much more than that. My mom used to drive me and my sister around in a Ford Pinto; it's a miracle we're still alive.

"I need 4WD because of winters here in NJ." - ....It snowed like once here this winter, and it was about a quarter of an inch. If you're that worried about it, get a set of snow tires instead of spending tens of thousands more than you have to.

"I'm having a baby in a few months, so I'll need the room." - One child does not require a massive SUV.

"I 'need' it for DIY projects around the house." - Have the stuff delivered, or rent one of those trucks from Home Depot for like $30. Again, saving thousands over the long run.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. I don't get that much snow where I am.

That is a HUGE part of it (at least where I am from, Michigan). We drive on snow/ice 5-6 months out of the year. I push through snow with zero problems on days when a car owner can't even get out of their driveway.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
That is a HUGE part of it (at least where I am from, Michigan). We drive on snow/ice 5-6 months out of the year. I push through snow with zero problems on days when a car owner can't even get out of their driveway.

I doubt the majority of people have to deal with heavy snow though. Plus more cars these days have awd. I would guess most people buying them just want a large vehicle.

Oct 25, 2017
Sold our house in 2016 and buyer nearly backed out right before because her suburban barely fit in the garage. House was built in 2003 and had no driveway, row townhouse with 2 car garage. We were "wtf"

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Everyone in this town owns oversized trucks, it's ridiculous. Amount of time you actually see them hauling or even carrying a load in the back that wouldn't fit in a car trunk is next to nil.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Ableist Language, please don't use 'retarded' as a pejorative term
I have never met anyone in the UK who parks any car in their garage, except my father in law - who stores a classic in his.

Yeah I have a classic parked in mine. Don't see how it was ever a thing to park a massive truck inside a residential garage.

Always thought that new mini was a travesty, those stupid 4 door ones at least.

I find that about 99% of the people who have these big ass, expensive vehicles don't actually "need" them. Most of the time when I see a gigantic pickup truck on the road, it looks like it has never seen a day of work in its life.

I hang out in the personal finance subreddit fairly regularly. You would not BELIEVE the amount of people who are looking to buy one of these cars that they clearly can't afford. Some of the reasons given:

"I need it to be safe." - I drive a 2008 Mazda 3. It has air bags, it has traction control, it has seatbelts, it has crumple zones, and it has latches for child seats. You don't "need" much more than that. My mom used to drive me and my sister around in a Ford Pinto; it's a miracle we're still alive.

"I need 4WD because of winters here in NJ." - ....It snowed like once here this winter, and it was about a quarter of an inch. If you're that worried about it, get a set of snow tires instead of spending tens of thousands more than you have to.

"I'm having a baby in a few months, so I'll need the room." - One child does not require a massive SUV.

"I 'need' it for DIY projects around the house." - Have the stuff delivered, or rent one of those trucks from Home Depot for like $30. Again, saving thousands over the long run.

Yeah, a Subaru estate car would also satisfy all those criteria. No reason to go full retard on a pickup truck.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Where i live in Canada trucks and SUVs almost necessary in winter. We get a lot of snow and ice, and even with snow tires cars have a hard time getting around. I bought a new mid-size truck last year (2019 Ford Ranger) after being tired of it, and getting around has been so much easier. I do haul stuff from time to time as well, but it was mostly about safety in winter driving...which is like half the year here.

Even in the school that I work at the staff parking lot only has a few cars, the rest are trucks and SUVs. That's just normal for Canada outside of Toronto.

rObit

Oct 27, 2017
I miss small pickup trucks. Like how the Ranger was when I was a kid.

says the person who is calculating payments on a Chevy Colorado Bison.

Yeah, this really bums me out. My first truck was a 2000 Ranger, it was the perfect size for me. Didnt take up any more room than a medium sedan but I could throw work stuff in the bed without worrying about getting the cabin dirty / smelly / soggy, or throw a canopy on it to protect things from weather during the wetter months.

I was just in the market for a vehicle and I wanted to find something like that again, and there just isnt that kind of vehicle anymore. Ended up going with a small hatchback instead which I'm very happy with, but it was just weird to not even have that option.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know why people enjoy them.

I drove a compact car for years and only recently got a normal sized sedan. Even that feels too big. Parking with anything bigger is such a chore and anxiety inducing.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Parking space is already insanely expensive to build for businesses and for public use. Aren't there standards and limitations for vehicle dimensions based on what type of vehicle it is? Why are vehicles allowed to be built that could fuck up other well established building standards like garages or public/business parking spaces?

Talonluck

Oct 27, 2017
Gilbert, Arizona
Man some people in this thread are awful. Wishing such hatred on others for buying something they want. Take a deep breath guys. We don't need community policing of all our individual purchases.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I park in the back half of lots now because I got tired of people parking too close. My wife is up for a new car she wants a 4Runner but we don't have 4Runner money so she's going between a bigger car or different SUV. Would like the SUV for our camping trips but we'll see for now we're just enjoying not having an extra car payment.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt the majority of people have to deal with heavy snow though. Plus more cars these days have awd. I would guess most people buying them just want a large vehicle.

I think you would have a better formed opinion on the decisions of others if you had to drive in snow.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a new 2020 Hyundai Elantra, supposedly one of the smaller cars available, and it still feels much bigger than most of the cars in this class from the 90s. Cars are getting big in general.

Yeah, definitely. Space increase had used to be through engineering/design improvements; for instance, as someone who's had BMWs, a 2004 3-series is the same length as a 1984, but the feels like you have a lot more room inside. Whereas the last 15 years, they've gotten literally bigger/longer.