• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Press Release can be found here.

Bigben announces the signing of an agreement for the acquisition of Spiders, a French video game development studio specializing in action and role-playing games.
After the acquisition of 3 studios in the last 18 months, this new strategic operation allows Bigben to assert its position as a developer-publisher while strengthening its expertise in content production for succesful genres still missing in its portfolio.

Spiders, a French studio known for its creativity and the quality of its games

Created in 2008 by former Monte Cristo TM developers who previously worked together on the Silverfall TMgame, Spiders has specialized for several years in the action and role-playing segment and relies on a large experience in home consoles. The studio thus developed 6 games including the iconic Mars: War Logs TM set on Mars, Bound by Flame, a RPG (1) medieval-fantastic title which met with a great commercial success andThe Technomancer TM, a RPG Cyberpunk. The new game Greedfall TM, eagerly awaited by the gaming community, will be released in September with a unique visual identity inspired by the Baroque art of 17th century Europe.

A senior team serving ambitious projects

Based in Paris, the studio now has about 30 employees and uses its own Silk Engine development engine. This integrates all the functionalities from last generation technologies and enables the development of genres for all formats, PC and home consoles.

This transaction allows Bigben to acquire a remarkable know-how, accumulated over many productions by confirmed developers recognized for the high quality of their games.
By integrating Bigben's Gaming business unit, Spiders will leverage the commercial and marketing strength of an established publisher to increase the distribution of its games and benefit from the emulation generated by belonging to a group of talented studios. Jehanne Rousseau, current CEO and co-founder of the studio, will continue to lead Spiders with the aim of developing the creative and innovative aspect of its productions.

Expanding editorial positioning

Bigben's editorial positioning is thus widened after :
  • The purchase of the Cyanide studio, which allowed it to extend its offer to major genres not yet represented in its portfolio, such as cycling simulations, turn-based games or stealth games;
  • The increased stake in Kylotonn Racing, which secured a strong position in the racing simulation game segment for cars and bikes;
  • and the acquisition of the Eko Software studio, which allowed it to increase its presence on genres popular with gamers such as "Action-RPG"(2) and collective sports simulations.
The investment in Spiders studio will now allow the Bigben group to cover the entire world of role-playing games.

An acquisition fitting in the BIGBEN 2022 strategy

This new external growth fits perfectly into the BIGBEN 2022 plan, which aims at making Bigben one of the reference leaders in 'AA' video games.

By expanding its research and development division with this new recognized player in the development of video games in France, Bigben is integrating additional skills that will enable it to further strengthen the upstream structure of its Gaming sector, and create value by offering contents long-awaited by an ever- changing video game market.

The Publishing cluster of Bigben will consist of 7 development sites (6 in France and 1 in Canada) employing nearly 300 developers supported by a Publishing team of more than 40 people.

The final completion of the acquisition, to be fully paid in cash, is scheduled for early September 2019 after fulfilment of the usual conditions precedent for this type of transaction.

"This acquisition fits perfectly with Bigben's strategy to increase its know-how in the development of video games in the AA strategic segment. We are delighted to welcome the talents of Spiders who will strengthen our Development unit and participate in new and even more ambitious projects." said Alain Falc, Chairman and CEO of Bigben.

"We look forward to joining the Bigben Group, a reference player in the video games industry whose strategic vision we fully share. Becoming part of the Bigben Group is a unique opportunity to accelerate our development alongside other quality studios, by integrating an environment conducive to the creation of ever more qualitative games." said Jehanne Rousseau, CEO and co-founder of Spiders.

This is the second studio with a long term relationship with Focus Home Interactive that BigBen acquires (Cyanide last year, which kinda led to Focus CEO's departure). GreedFall is still set for September, still published by Focus. End of an era.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like BigBen is just acquiring the studios Focus Home works with at this point.

I mean the only other studio I remember them acquiring is Cyanide, but like Spiders, Cyanide was pretty much all Focus Home before the acquisition.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I thought you meant
240px-Clock_Tower_-_Palace_of_Westminster%2C_London_-_May_2007.jpg

was filled with
A_classic_circular_form_spider%27s_web.jpg

g23

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope Greedfall delivers. Spider's creativity when it comes to world building has always been top notch, but they always fall prey to janky gameplay mechanics.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe this will allow them bigger budgets?
I find their games interesting but definitely have that lower budget "rough around the edges" issues with them.

Max Deltree

Oct 31, 2017
I like Spiders, just wish they had some more money. Maybe this will be good for them.

And I can't wait for Greedfall.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Focus better prepare for war cause Big Ben is aiming to take over their territory

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, GreedFall has the longest development time and almost certainly highest cost of any of their games, so it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to run independently with any real security (especially if Focus wasn't signaling that they were going to buy into their next game for sure).

Hopefully they're left to do their thing. And maybe they'll get some input from other studios that maybe have more experience with gameplay mechanics.

Not sure what this means for localization, though (since Spiders operates almost entirely in French). Focus wasn't the best, but they got a lot better over the years (Technomancer could be native English, except for some unwieldy dialogue in places). I don't know any of Big Ben's games or who they work with on that front.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of big Ben nor did I know Cyanide had been grabbed by them. Actually a little concerning as I like Focus and their partner devs.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
Interesting that the press release specifically calls out the AA segment.

I've been enjoying recent role-playing games that have a tighter focus, mid-budget, and good-but-not-great Metacritic scores. And business deals like this make me realize I must not be the only one. There must be money to be made in Vampyre, Sinking City, etc.

Hopefully Greedfall is a compelling game.

Okingjrr

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
France
Big Ben looking to position themselves as the AA publisher. Pretty interesting news.
I'm very curious to see what comes of Spiders' and Cyanide's acquisitions.

Okingjrr

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
France
Cyanide's working on that World of Darkness Werewolf game, which should be out next year.
Yeah, that's right. But I believe that started out with Focus, it should be deep in development by now with minor influence from BB.
Looking forward to what comes as their first big collab (not counting the Tour de France games).

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The Technomancer on Game Pass put them on my radar. Very interested in their titles

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
not sure how i feel about this.

Yeah it sometimes looks like a war between Big Ben and Focus.
Weird.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Spiders is good. They get a little better and make a little more money every game. Hopefully they just let them do their thing.You have to remember they started with a 20$ digital rpg last gen, for them to progress to a game thats getting wide attention is fantastic.

Between this and the Control thread its no wonder why AA games are dying. The negativity is ridiculous.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I hope that this ends well for them. I like their games and really don't want their creative vision to be compromised (or worse, them to be shut down).

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Nope, that was RDS Industries. Seems they are only a distributor for them.

I think BigBen made my Classic NES case.

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Not a fan of BigBen given their conduct around Tennis World Tour.

They authorised the release of a horrendously broken product for full AAA price, and then took months to patch it. At the start of this year they released an "updated" version with zero gameplay updates, just a few new stadiums and players. They charged the original alpha testers buyers for the privilege of obtaining that DLC. The least they could have done was updated the original owners for free, as a thank you for paying full price for a clearly unfinished product at launch.

Who knows, maybe they'll actually give Spiders time to make a complete game before they release it.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
No, it's absolutely impossible. Dontnod is a public company, so if someone wants to buy them, they should do a takeover. It would be too expensive for a publisher like Big Ben.

Oh, Spiders is definitely known for the quality of its games.
Like Big Ben. I really like their strategy, but all their games are really bad.

Technomancer was published by Focus so I guess it depends on who owns the IP between them and Spiders.
Usually, Focus Home Interactive don't own the IP of their games. For example, all Cyanide IP (like The Council) are owned by Cyanide, not by Focus.

OP
OP
Maxime

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I guess a telltale sign was the absence of Spiders in Focus' roadmap:

focus-signe-avec-sumo-digital-et-prolonge-avec-deck13-saber-ou-encore-call-of-cthulhu-62a789b0__w830.jpg

Also, weird timing, given Focus will publish their Q1 revenues this evening. I doubt they'll mention it though.

Edit: Also, for people telling Spiders might have a bigger budget, not only I doubt BigBen has the capacity to put has much money as Focus did on their last titles, but let's not forget we're talking about a publisher which shipped a game that was 20% finished, and bragged about it.

Last edited:

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Spiders is good. They get a little better and make a little more money every game. Hopefully they just let them do their thing.You have to remember they started with a 20$ digital rpg last gen, for them to progress to a game thats getting wide attention is fantastic.

Between this and the Control thread its no wonder why AA games are dying. The negativity is ridiculous.

Oh, no negativity here. I love Spiders and own/have beaten/thoroughly enjoyed Bound by Flame and Technomancer. I shill Technomancer every chance I get.

Their games certainly have a quality, though. I love them to death, but part of their appeal (to me, at least) is their numerous imperfections. I'd maybe describe them as creative (gameplay-wise they hew quite close to Bioware games, and overall concept-wise they're pretty generic - most of the creativity comes into play with the weird way things are implemented), but "quality" is definitely not the second descriptor I'd go to.

They're clearly heartfelt efforts willed into existence by people with big dreams and limited resources, but I'll keep buying them and playing them, for sure.