• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we're assholes in the North East. I'm sorry. I try to be really nice to everyone from out of state but then I visit the Midwest where these people are literally cooking me dinner for no reason.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
As a Masshole I am quite bitter that we only come in 47th, who the hell do Arkansas and Delaware think they are. 50 should be a bitter fight between my people and New Yorkers, I accept no less than 49, as I said Masshole and fucking proud of it.

I've lived in Massachusetts and Arkansas and I'm just as confused as you are.

Massachusetts kinda blends in with that New York, New Jersey type "what the fuck are you looking at?" kind of vibe. I did appreciate knowing where I stood with people immediately though because there was a lot less "fake nice".

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
NY's Review
"Locals might seem a bit gruff at first (even upstate!), but it's a melting pot of many cultures and the neighbourhoods in each borough of NYC have a community feel if you manage to stick it out for long enough. Just don't dawdle on the sidewalk or hold up traffic taking Instagram shots… "

Are they trying to say it's a bad thing we get pissed off you walking slow on the sidewalk while also blocking the whole damn thing and taking fucking Instagram shots in the middle of a walking space? I'll take a rude state any day over accepting either those two things as acceptable.
Having to wade through Times Square on my way to catch a bus has never made me wish more for a mass extinction event.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Having to wade through Times Square on my way to catch a bus has never made me wish more for a mass extinction event.
tenor.gif

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
NY's Review
"Locals might seem a bit gruff at first (even upstate!), but it's a melting pot of many cultures and the neighbourhoods in each borough of NYC have a community feel if you manage to stick it out for long enough. Just don't dawdle on the sidewalk or hold up traffic taking Instagram shots… "

Are they trying to say it's a bad thing we get pissed off you walking slow on the sidewalk while also blocking the whole damn thing and taking fucking Instagram shots in the middle of a walking space? I'll take a rude state any day over accepting either those two things as acceptable.
I thought the same thing. If you're one of those dipshits taking instagram photos in the middle of the sidewalk then you deserve people being rude as hell to you.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
As a Masshole I am quite bitter that we only come in 47th, who the hell do Arkansas and Delaware think they are. 50 should be a bitter fight between my people and New Yorkers, I accept no less than 49, as I said Masshole and fucking proud of it.

I will say, I just moved to MA last month, and I've already seen a street fight almost get physical because someone didn't complete a turn as fast as the car behind them wanted them to.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who lives in Florida but is not from here

we all hate our existence, it's way too god damn hot and humid to enjoy living, ofcourse people are assholes it's miserable, and everyone here is either barely alive, or from somewhere else anyways.

I hate every other person in this state

Also, KY not being in top 15 is blasphemy, must have just visited Louisville and called it good.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
Damn. I didn't expect us New Yorkers to be that bad. I'm mean we're not great so I wasn't expecting to be in the positive end but still... Dead last? Damn.

New York is a garbage dump of awful people. The most rude and self important people I've ever met in my life. Go into Time Square in rush hour, people will treat you like sub human filth taking up their time and space.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NY's Review

Well yeah kind of. Y'all might have a better time overall if you had a bit more chill.
I heard Minnesota Nice was a term meaning passive-aggression?

Eh, kind of. I think most minnesotans are outwardly nice but then they'll talk shit behind your back. But doesn't everyone do that and then what does it matter since you don't even know about it.

I do feel like it's kind of hard to make friends here vs other places. It is very dominated by locals and every one has their cliques going back to college and HS and it's hard to break into an existing clique.

Like I'm in my 30s and seriously my closest friends are from HS. It's kind of cool in a way as well that I'm still pretty tight with friends going back that far, but yeah outside of like 1 bud from college and one current work friend that's really it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
New York is a garbage dump of awful people. The most rude and self important people I've ever met in my life. Go into Time Square in rush hour, people will treat you like sub human filth taking up their time and space.

I mean, at least we're not the worst state to live in. I mean NY ain't perfect but I'd rather live here than many of the places deemed "friendliest" on this list.

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has visited Minnesota multiple times for work, I can say that I'm genuinely surprised every single time how fucking nice everyone is I run into there. I seriously have yet to have one poor experience.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude they have Minnesota as #1, even Minnesotans have a name for it: "Minnesota Nice", which is passive aggressive "niceness"...I think this list is possibly built from stereotypes.

It isn't actually passive aggressive though (not usually anyway). I asked someone for directions in NYC and was told to fuck off. Same thing happened to me in San Diego. I've never been told to fuck off by a stranger in MN. Like the saying didn't just come from thin air. I think people who visit here generally do come away with the impression that yeah people are pretty nice.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I mean, at least we're not the worst state to live in. I mean NY ain't perfect but I'd rather live here than many of the places deemed "friendliest" on this list.
Why aren't you? What do you have going for you in NY, weather? Affordability? A job market that supports the high cost of living? A modern, easily accessible airport? Low crime rates? Cleanliness? Well-kept infrastructure that totally isn't crumbling? Low traffic? Peace and quiet? Natural beauty? Nice helpful people all getting along well? A manageable population density that makes it easy to move around? Sensible renter protections and a sane housing market full of well-kept, recently-remodeled properties? Clean breathable air, swimmable freshwater, and good-tasting tap water? Lack of homeless people? Plenty of upward mobility for young people and young families?

Oh, sorry, I almost forgot: NY has the exact opposite of all those fucking things.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Why aren't you? What do you have going for you in NY, weather? Affordability? A job market that supports the high cost of living? A modern, easily accessible airport? Low crime rates? Cleanliness? Well-kept infrastructure that totally isn't crumbling? Low traffic? Peace and quiet? Natural beauty? Nice helpful people all getting along well? A manageable population density that makes it easy to move around? Sensible renter protections and a sane housing market full of well-kept, recently-remodeled properties? Clean breathable air, swimmable freshwater, and good-tasting tap water? Lack of homeless people? Plenty of upward mobility for young people and young families?

Oh, sorry, I almost forgot: NY has the exact opposite of all those fucking things.

I know you probably think that your really cool and found your moment to shine... but did you actually know that New York is an entire state and not just the city? I guess that goes to show you the education in some other places.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Texas is fairly polite...if you're white. Though, the website says we greet people with "Howdy!" and I have never been greeted that way in Texas once haha. I've been to really small towns in Texas too.
Yeah, I have no clue where "Howdy" came from, I've never heard it here.

Ya'll should bump into me some time and you'll for sure get a Howdy lol.

I'm a city boy who grew up not saying it, but somewhere along the way I picked it up without realizing and now it's my typical greeting. I didn't even notice it until a Californian newcomer replied "Oh you really are a Texan!"

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I know you probably think that your really cool and found your moment to shine... but did you actually know that New York is an entire state and not just the city? I guess that goes to show you the education in some other places.
I know you think people actually give a shit about the rest of New York, but not only do they not care, but 2/3rds of the population of the state is concentrated in NYC metro, so bye

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado is in a good spot, imo. You have your racist pricks for sure but overall nice people in general, never felt ostracized outside of white-ass rich kid high school. As a Hispanic, I loved living in New York. Everyone was chill for me, so 50 blows my mind. But only lived there a few years in uni

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Lol these stereotypes are always heavily biased.

People say Seattle/Washington are unfriendly but it's the first time in my life I've had people smile at me and call me a cute couple when my husband and I walk down the street, compared to the bigotry zoo that is Texas. People in general are just so kind here, I've had 10 minute conversations with complete strangers on the street waiting for the bus, walking past them on the way to ice cream, or just striking conversation in a book store.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know you think people actually give a shit about the rest of New York, but not only do they not care, but 2/3rds of the population of the state is concentrated in NYC metro, so bye

What a childish and pathetic response. Just because NYC holds most of the state population doesn't mean people get to act like assholes and pretend the rest of the state doesn't exist.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
People in New York City might seem rude, but we're really not. It's just that, with so many people, we sometimes get robotic in terms of walking, like we are programmed to just go from point A to point B, don't stop for nothing. If anyone gets in the way (i.e. stands in the middle of the street), that's very annoying. And we can't be nice to everyone, or else we wouldn't accomplish anything. But if someone needs help or directions or whatever, someone would definitely help out.

Once I was walking downtown, and the sidewalk got narrow because of some scaffolding. As I approached it, a middle-aged woman walking a bit faster than me cut in front of me to get there first, kinda brushed up against me a little, I think? I was slightly annoyed, but whatever, I didn't think much of it. But I instinctively apologized (I know I shouldn't, but I'm always on the defensive) and she turned around and said, "No, I'm sorry, really I am" before speeding off. And I laughed to myself because she basically just apologized for being a New Yorker. Underneath the robotic veil was just a normal person. It should be obvious, but it was still nice to see.

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Midwest and South are definitely the nicest, so a fine list. Arkansas seems weirdly out of place though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Friendliest states (if you're white)

Also, Florida is plenty friendly if you avoid Orlando and Jacksonville.