• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Friend suggested this to me and didn't see a thread. It's a show by Nick Kroll and Andrew Goldberg with voices from John Mulaney, Maya Rudolph, Jenny Slate, Jordan Peele, Jason Mantzoukas.

It's nerdy kids in middle school discovering puberty, 10 episodes of 25-30 minutes. Have seen lots of penises and talking vaginas so far. Episode 6 has been the only weak/weird one so far. Otherwise it has been great.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I watched like half an episode and wasnt really a fan, dont really see whats so appealing about it.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched two episodes and it seems really, really adolescent. Like, the only thing it has going for it is crass, unoriginal sex jokes.

I guess the teenage me might have liked it.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
It gets better. Not amazing, but it gets better. The rave reviews were a little odd to me, but there's some pretty funny stuff and some good character moments.
Ill give it a bit if another chance but like theidiot said(lol) it just seems really juvenile and it doesnt seem to have much more going on outside of that , i wouldnt even say it would have been relatable to middle school me.

OP
OP
demosthenes

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
im 38 and laughed my ass off. the hormone monster is the star.

:D Season 2 is coming 2018.

The two highlights for me were Kristen Wigg's cameo and the electric shuffle scene.

She was great. My girlfriend looked over to me "I think that was Kirsten Wigg..."
Ill give it a bit if another chance but like theidiot said(lol) it just seems really juvenile and it doesnt seem to have much more going on outside of that , i wouldnt even say it would have been relatable to middle school me.

These kids were literally me growing up in the late 90's I guess that's why I enjoy it.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hated this show tbh, tried way too hard to be funny.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
It's HIDEOUS to look at, but I had a few good laughs. Not great, but it gets pretty far on its premise alone. They could go for miles with the whole "puberty" angle, even if it's probably been done better somewhere before.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I watched this just last week and was pleasantly surprised. Tampon Michael Stipe is always the first thing that pops into my head whenever I think of it.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get past the first half of the show. It was trying way too hard for me. The art style is terrible and characters aren't particularly likable. I don't know how it was getting so much praise.

Grizzo

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
The first episode was kinda rough, I didn't really like it, but I kept watching anyway and I'm glad I did. This show's depiction of puberty is top notch. Both of the hormonal monsters are hilarious and a good way to explain what's going on in our mind when we hit a certain age. Maya Rudolph especially is killing it.

hurroocane

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I have strongly mixed feelings about the show. I think they're doing the whole puberty story angle pretty well. The art style is not great and some of the characters are just really bad. The token gay character is so flamboyant that it's almost offensive that the writers thought this is what being a gay teen is like. The gym teacher character is just creepy and weird, adds nothing to the story and overstays his welcome in literally every scene he's in.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The art style is rough and it takes about an episode or two to find its footing but it was surprising how much I enjoyed it. I would still say it's hit or miss, as I don't care for some of the characters, but it does enough right that it deserves another season and I'm curious to see how they evolve it. The potential is there for a hit, but I think the writers need to figure a few things out for Season 2.

It's underrated and worth checking out IMO. Some real laugh out loud moments that caught me by surprise. Like, made me laugh harder than anything else in a comedy this year. It's a very specific style of humor though, and may not be for everyone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I hate Kroll and the animation turned me off but it was actually decently funny at times, sometimes it can feel a bit too much like an R-rated health class though.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It took about 6 or 7 episodes for things to click for me. I'm not sure who I'd recommend the show to, but it's definitely an experience.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I found it to be too juvenile - crass and profane just for the sake of it. Plus, the artstyle is fucking awful.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I guess female puberty has been a thing in other TV shows but it felt unique and sex-positive in an animated show especially from such a juvenile male-focused front.

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually pretty good, but yeah, if I hadn't been directly recommended it, I would never have gone near it on account of its look. The art is atrocious.

Dancey Dave

Nov 4, 2017
Guys... I was one of the non-believers. I watched like half an episode and was like "meh" but once you keep watching it's ridiculously good. It's a lot less cringy than I thought it would be. If you haven't watched 2 or 3 episodes, I'd say give it another chance. If not, it's not for you but I enjoyed it! :)

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it. Preferred most of the first half of the season and I wasn't really feeling the ghost but otherwise pretty good stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
This show was so awful and is pretty much entirely aping what every single animated show has been doing the last 20 years. And the stuff that has potential goes absolutely nowhere.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, pretty surprised by all the negativity in here. Took me a few episodes to get into it, but I thought this was a pretty great show. The hormone monsters were especially good (the monstress's insistence that the girl call her mother by her first name was especially amusing to me). It was a funny look back at the awkward and confusing time in my life that was puberty.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show was so awful and is pretty much entirely aping what every single animated show has been doing the last 20 years. And the stuff that has potential goes absolutely nowhere.

I agree its not the most original show but its tackling subjects in a manner that we rarely see in live action, let alone animated form. A lot of the puberty stuff is pretty damn spot on while also being hilarious. I'd still agree the show is hit or miss as some episodes and characters are duds but I was impressed at how it dealt with a lot of touchy subjects, especially for kids.

Oct 26, 2017
I watched two episodes and it seems really, really adolescent. Like, the only thing it has going for it is crass, unoriginal sex jokes.
I felt the same way about the jokes. I watched a few and tried to like it, but it all fell flat. It would be better if I was like "yeah, that was puberty for certain!" But it failed to connect on that front either.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
I almost dropped it before the credits started but pushed through and thought it was alright, I think I've watched the whole show at least twice now. It's an interesting show, I think it has a lot to say and the episodes cover some less talked about topics really well and it makes me reminisce about when I was that age. That being said thoigh I think it has some really bad comedy in it that can make it hard to get through and some jokes seem to rely on just being random. Season 2 needs to do something about Coach Steve, make his storylines and jokes better or reduce his role in the show.