• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Some of those tweets say almost half the staff? Would be nice to hear something from either Andy or Reiner.

Neonvisions

Oct 27, 2017
I really love those guys over at GI and this is devastating to hear. Best of luck to everyone caught up in this mess.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
This is such a shame. I only know Shocking Alberto and his works but I am sorry for all of them losing their employment all of a sudden. I really hope they land on their feet asap.

Generally, are employers not required to give notice for such an event in advance?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
They must not miss them that much or they would be buying them

I said when they are gone. As in after a few more years when we are deeper in our shitty digital future.

"When" they are gone? You under a rock?

I subscribe to GI, Edge, and NYT. I'm not stupid I know they have been dying for awhile, I'm just saying give it more time and people will realize what we've lost when it's far too late.

Oct 27, 2017
That fucking sucks. The GI Show is like the only game-related thing on YouTube I enjoy and that's entirely because of the personalities involved. Suriel was always great on there.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Even Hilliard being fired... wow that fucking sucks. I really hope they land on their feet somewhere better.

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
ShockingAlberto was one of my favorite members on the old forum. Really carried himself as knowledgable, reasonable, collected, and helpful. Being all that on a forum board meant he was all that and more in real life.

I hope he and others let go land quickly on their feet.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
This is such a shame. I only know Shocking Alberto and his works but I am sorry for all of them losing their employment all of a sudden. I really hope they land on their feet asap.

Generally, are employers not required to give notice for such an event in advance?

Not really, no. When I worked at MTV, I was a "permalancer," which meant I got a "salary" that was actually paid out hourly like a contractor, so they could avoid giving me benefits. It also meant when the 2008 recession hit, they could let me go without benefits, without severance. My boss heard about the looming cuts two weeks (!!) before they were going to tell the org's permalancers, and he gave me a heads up so I could start looking for another job.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
This sucks! All mentioned produce great content and I hope everyone land on their feet.

This also got me thinking about the Vault at GI, which have a lot of games in it for history purpose. When/If GI is shut down, I hope the Vault goes to somewhere with the intention to keep it and not dispose of it

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
How could this happen one day to another? Like, "poof, your job's gone!"

Hope everyone affected lands on their feet.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame but the writing has been on the wall for Gamestop for a while and it was inevitable GI would end up in the crossfire. Hopefully they work out a way to continue to exist as a website with video content since this does not bode well for their print efforts.

I hope these people land on their feet.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Not really, no. When I worked at MTV, I was a "permalancer," which meant I got a "salary" that was actually paid out hourly like a contractor, so they could avoid giving me benefits. It also meant when the 2008 recession hit, they could let me go without benefits, without severance. My boss heard about the looming cuts two weeks (!!) before they were going to tell the org's permalancers, and he gave me a heads up so I could start looking for another job.

Good lord I thought these GI staff were enlisted as "Employees" on the payroll not god damn self employed contractors. This is such shit, honestly. Thank you for disclosing this information.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Never read game informer (or any gaming magazine), but I watched some of their video content some times. Its a shame how unstable the industry is, hope the people land on their feet at other websites.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
A really shitty part of this is they're all in the middle of nowhere, so they basically all have to move to the east or west coast to get a job in the industry

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That shit like this (getting fired on the spot without any compensation or legal period of notice) is happening all the time in the US sucks major ass

julian

Oct 27, 2017
His tweet says "his position" is gone, so it's not that he was fired or they are replacing him with cheaper staff. The whole position is gone.

...what was his title? I see others are pointing out the Nintendo editor is gone too. It's gonna be a graveyard after today.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that's a huge bummer. I hope some companies snatch these folks up quickly. Hopefully they'll land even better gigs as a result of this, turning the loss into a gain.

Gamestop has obviously been on a huge decline so this isn't shocking, but it still sucks.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
A really shitty part of this is they're all in the middle of nowhere, so they basically all have to move to the east or west coast to get a job in the industry

That's a really dumb aspect of the industry considering that they were doing just fine coverage and access wise in a city that is much cheaper to operate from.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. That's sucks. I loved reading all these people's work and hearing them on the GI show. If you guys aren't listening to the GI show you are missing out on one of the best podcasts. The interviews that they have week to week are varied and feature a lot of big names.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord I thought these GI staff were enlisted as "Employees" on the payroll not god damn self employed contractors. This is such shit, honestly. Thank you for disclosing this information.

They probably are but they aren't given 2 week notices because it's not required. It's fucking trash.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck. Game Informer's staff is super talented. This is a real shame.

I hope everyone ends up okay.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Urgh terrible news, hope everyone is able to land on their feet. GI's staff is right up there with EZA as some of my favorite guys in gaming. Really talented people too.

Fuck

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His tweet says "his position" is gone, so it's not that he was fired or they are replacing him with cheaper staff. The whole position is gone.

...what was his title? I see others are pointing out the Nintendo editor is gone too. It's gonna be a graveyard after today.

He was fired mate. Let go. Canned. However you want to phrase it. His position is gone and with it the one who filled it.

He was senior editor.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Their parent company, GameStop, is on the verge of collapse. This was going to catch up to GI eventually, unfortunately. I strongly encourage the other half of the staff that wasn't laid-off to update their CVs and look around for other employment. I can't imagine GameStop, and by extention Game Informer, lasting much longer.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is such a bummer. I love that crew :(

GI has always been pretty stable, I thought they might be insulated from the Gamestop drama for a little longer, but I guess not.

Hoping for the best for those affected and hopefully GI can spin-off or right the ship somehow.

I haven't used GI recently as much as I used to, I should go and catch up on replays/podcasts.

I think it was West Coast Editor or something? Can't seem to find it now, but that's what I remember from when he was on KF.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
That's some lousy news. Hope they're able to land somewhere else soon.

Bracing for more downsizing from Gamestop in the future...

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Noooooo
GI has some of my favorite personalities and GI Show is my favorite podcast. Hope everyone quickly lands on their feet.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas

That sucks but good on your manager for giving you some heads up.

Curious, was this a 1099 situation or were you technically working for a third-party company that MTV contracted with? IRS takes a dim view around classifying otherwise permanent employees as contractors, and most companies will toe the legal line after Microsoft got in significant trouble a few decades ago for it.

Gutted to see what's happening at GI. While it's felt like they have been living on borrowed time for awhile, I have hoped they would somehow find a way to maintain their unique voice. Hope everyone affected finds something great quickly.

OP
OP
Fanto

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

I think it was West Coast Editor or something? Can't seem to find it now, but that's what I remember from when he was on KF.
According to the staff page, which still shows them all:

Imran's title was West Coast News Editor.

Kyle's title was Senior Associate Editor.

Suriel's title was Associate Editor.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hope the Game Informer staff got more time to leave the building than the 30 minutes Telltale Games developers got...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised this didn't happen sooner to be honest. I don't know how print magazines survive in the digital age like this. Hope everyone lands on their feet soon though.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
They probably are but they aren't given 2 week notices because it's not required. It's fucking trash.

Man I am sorry to say this fuck GI for not having this bare minimum severance related obligation as part of their business practice. There is a lack of empathy in taking the financial ground from beneath the feet of an employee (let alone half the staff) without any forewarning whatsoever so that he/she/they may prepare for the transition.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Love game informer, their super replays were/are legendary.
Hope everyone laid off finds work quick!