• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
that's terrible news, they're both awesome.

Hope they land on their feet asap, with how great they are at their work I'm sure it will happen soon

EDIT: jeez, Kyle too? this really sucks. GI crew is one of the best out there, and seeing them be disintegrated like that hurts

OP
OP
Fanto

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

God I feel so bad for them all over there right now, this really must be brutal. Some of them have been there for a really long time, they were basically like a family.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's not surprising. Being apart of gamestop is likely why they still exist while every other gaming magazine has disappeared. I recently went to the magazine section of my Walmart and it was one of the most depressing things I've seen.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
Dang. I suspected this was coming given Gamestop's troubles, but still shitty to see the foot drop. From listening to the GI Show, the GI gang is one of the most personable groups in games media, and I hate to see any of them go.

I wonder if any additional GI alumni will end up at Giant Bomb?

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Damn, that's a huge blow. Hope they land on their feet at a different publication

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
This is really sad. Game Informer was one of my favorite magazines growing up. I haven't been keeping track of their stuff recently but I love their rapid-fire interviews whenever I see them. Also love that Ben Hanson has an entire podcast dedicated to AFI. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the writing has been on the wall for this for some time. But as a big fan of GI and the folks there, it still hurts. Hope everyone lands on their feet ASAP.
I would love to be angry at Gamestop for taking Game Informer down with them - but without gamestop a print game publication like game informer would never exist

Hope everyone lands on their feet in more stable jobs

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking terrible and ironic how GameStop really helped GI survive this long when so many publications went under...now that GameStop is failing it looks dire for GameInformer. Andy must be devastated.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
This is not good. GI had honestly one of the best editorial staffs and podcasts and it was partly because of these guys. And to think we might hear of more...

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
It's fucking terrible and ironic how GameStop really helped GI survive this long when so many publications went under...now that GameStop is failing it looks dire for GameInformer. Andy must be devastated.

Yeah, I don't think anyone ever said a bad word about Andy as a boss, so this must be a punch to the gut for him. Hope he and whatever team remains will be as okay as possible.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
This is the shit that keeps me up at night, wondering if I should just go write boring copy for Fortnite. These are all smart people who will land on their feet, but this is happening in the cruelest possible way.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
I would love to be angry at Gamestop for taking Game Informer down with them - but without gamestop a print game publication like game informer would never exist

I interfaced with GI more through their digital content than anything - I'd have rather them survive all digital than as a skeleton crew with a print mag.

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
That sucks. How do they choose who to lay off..Kyle was not that recent an addition. Hope some of them find work elsewhere, but they are based in Minnesota, so that is a thing.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017

Hope everyone lands on their feet in more stable jobs

Agreed. Props to Gamestop for supporting GI as long as it has. Doesn't seem like they got any severance though, as per usual in the US.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, I don't think anyone ever said a bad word about Andy as a boss, so this must be a punch to the gut for him. Hope he and whatever team remains will be as okay as possible.
Yeah it must be hard, I really don't want to see GI go anywhere. They have exclusive and amazing coverage that basically no other outlet have. Their cover stories are amazing and the podcast is great.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
did they fire any white guys or
You know what time it is....
full

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
God, everytime I watch their online videos and look at how few views they get... it's such a fucking bummer. Their Replay/Podcast stuff is so good and deserved/deserves more attention.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
And I just finished listening to an episode of the GI show with them on it. :(

Heartbroken to hear about this and I hope all involved bounce back sooner rather than later.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sad truth is the other half of that team will be following soon

The market changed and the only reason that game informer stayed alive was because of gamestop

And then the market changed on gamestop and they are on their way to the gallows

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
GI going down will break my heart if/when it happens

Hope all affected can find opportunities elsewhere

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Best of luck to everyone effected getting back on their feet. Great writers and personalities. Their video and podcast content is incredible and underappreciated. Hope other outlets can bring their talents on board

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The sad truth is the other half of that team will be following soon

The market changed and the only reason that game informer stayed alive was because of gamestop

And then the market changed on gamestop and they are on their way to the gallows

Honestly fuck the fact that the market changed. People are going to miss magazines when they are gone and it pisses me off.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Man, this fuckin' sucks. The Game Informer Show podcast is my fav besides Easy Allies, Imran does (or rather did) incredible work there, I love for example Sick Stunts with Kyle...what a bummer. Hope everyone lands on their feet.