• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

Just saw this on Twitter, that's a shame. I really enjoyed both of their work there and their appearances on the podcast. Hopefully they can find new work soon, they are both really talented.

Sounds like there could be more as well:

Edit:
Kyle Hilliard was laid off as well:

Edit 2: Javy Gwaltney and Jeff Marchiafava have also been let go.

Edit 3: Elise Favis as well.

Edit 4: Matt Bertz too.

See threadmarks for tweets.

Edit 5: Statement from Andy McNamara, Editor in Chief: https://www.gameinformer.com/from-the-editor/2019/08/21/dear-game-informer-community
Dear Game Informer Community,

Yesterday, as part of a GameStop restructuring plan, our parent company eliminated the positions of about 120 employees across its various offices. We lost seven members of our team – our cohorts, compatriots, and friends. They shaped us and made us who we are today, just like every member of the Game Informer team who passes through this company.

Here is the official statement from GameStop:

As part of the previously announced GameStop Reboot initiative to transform our business for the future and improve our financial performance, we can confirm a workforce reduction was implemented impacting more than 120 corporate staff positions, representing approximately 14% of our total associate base at our company headquarters as well as at some other offices.

While these changes are difficult, they were necessary to reduce costs and better align the organization with our efforts to optimize the business to meet our future objectives and success factors. We recognize that this is a difficult day for our company and particularly for those associates impacted. We appreciate their dedication and service to GameStop and are committed to supporting them during this time of transition.

I'm saddened by yesterday's news; the Game Informer team means the world to me. You, our readers who have supported us over the years – mean the world to us. I can't thank them or you enough.

We appreciate the love that has poured out for GI and the affected team members: Matt Bertz, Elise Favis, Javy Gwaltney, Kyle Hilliard, Imran Khan, Jeff Marchiafava, and Suriel Vazquez. They are so talented and so passionate – please support them if you are hiring. Each of them has my highest, most glowing recommendation.

For now, Game Informer lives to fight another day. Your support is appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It's always a bummer to see folks lose their jobs, and even more so when they're losing diversity in their staff that is much needed.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I'm more familiar with Imran from his postings here, but he seems like good people. I hope both of these folks are able to land on their feet real soon!

Edit: can't see the tweets since I'm at work, but I'm guessing this is because GameStop is getting real lean?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Bummer, both did great work at GI. Hopefully they both get picked up quickly.

Any idea how extensive these layoffs are though?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That is worrisome for GI but obviously the staff have my main sympathies ATM. Good luck for the future!

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Shit, do we know why this might be? Imran is such a huge piece of the industry, I'd compare it to Schreier.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Too reasonable for this magazine.

Not sure if I've read anythin by Suriel Vasquez, but I like that farewell tweet. I hope they both land somewhere good.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't bode well for GI. Hopefully they both have luck on whatever they find next.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Shit, that's not good at all. I was literally listening to the podcast just a few hours ago and always loved their content.

Hope this doesn't mean the end for GameInformer :/

Volo

Oct 26, 2017
That's a real shame, I've really enjoyed both on Game Informer's content, especially the Game Informer show. Best of luck to both.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Aw man, I just read a good article by Imran Khan. This is a bummer :(

Hope everyone lands a good job sooner rather than later.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I haven't really been into GI for a while, pretty much since Tim Turi left, but Imran ran legit good articles on there that I would come for.

Hope he finds a new place soon, and can stay in the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that sucks. Hopefully they can land on their feet. They brought a lot of knowledge to the table, this is a big loss for Game Informer.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Damn, that's a huge loss for the mag. That sounds like things aren't doing so well. Hope everyone lands on their feet

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Inflammatory commentary
did they fire any white guys or

edit: ignore the above comment. dickish post. Hope the many people fired find a good standing.

Last edited:

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Sucks for both, but especially for Suriel.

At least Imran lives in SF and so won't necessarily need to move to get a new job.

I hope there are no more cuts planned, I really like the Game Informer crew and the work they put out.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the position Gamestop is in it's not surprising, but I feel for all those affected.

THanks Imran for at least getting that Ion Fury article out!

T.Slothrop

Jan 21, 2018
There's no point for Game Informer to exist. Print isn't dead. But that kind of print is dead. If I were them I would gtfo of enthusiast media.