• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe I frequent this forum a bit too much, or read too much Xbox news, but this article tells me absolutely nothing I didn't already know. You could take the bit out about XSX and it would be identical to many other articles and interviews written straight after XO19.
It's not just you

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to see Phil talking about having their own studios in Asia again. Sounds like they're all in on that so surprised we've not seen/heard any progress yet.
I'm not. They likely are in advanced talks with someone in Asia but haven't any reason to talk about it yet. They are likely making a game for Xbox Series X, not Xbox One. We have only just seen Hellblade 2 and only after they revealed the console.

once they're ready to do a blowout of what studios are working on next gen that's when we will see the announcement

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but as someone who owned an Xbox one and played the 360 a lot, I don't see how what they're doing is benefiting the Xbox console platform and I'm quite sick of this "Mr. Nice Guy Talk." Sure Gamepass is a great value, but PC also has GamePass along with all the other Xbox games. So like this just makes think my Xbox console is not worth it. Hopefully next gen will bring Xbox back to the glory days, but how they gave up on the Xbox One when I owned it really left a bad taste in my mouth. But who knows.
Then build a PC?

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I've never understood why people complain about Xbox Game Studios games being on PC. Isn't that better for.. everyone? More people who have access to games. Which then gives developers more opportunities to take risks.

Play Anywhere and Game Pass for PC have been a godsend. Exclusivity is not a pro-consumer thing. It's a necessity for platform holders. Microsoft just happens to have more platforms.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe I frequent this forum a bit too much, or read too much Xbox news, but this article tells me absolutely nothing I didn't already know. You could take the bit out about XSX and it would be identical to many other articles and interviews written straight after XO19.

I think the only new info there is we'll see The Initiative's project in the next 12 months. Not too surprising, though.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But they're not saying that. They're saying that playing on the Xbox is less enjoyable if the games are available elsewhere. Even though they don't have the intention to. It's nonsense.

I didn't read it that way.

I've never understood why people complain about Xbox Game Studios games being on PC. Isn't that better for.. everyone? More people who have access to games. Which then gives developers more opportunities to take risks.

Play Anywhere and Game Pass for PC have been a godsend. Exclusivity is not a pro-consumer thing. It's a necessity for platform holders. Microsoft just happens to have more platforms.

Same reason people complain if something goes on sale a week after they bought it. I can see why some would be annoyed that they bout a box to play exclusive games then found out that they didn't actually need to. I don't really see all this hate for MS games being on PC though. I see more people being happy they don't have to purchase an extra box because of PC Game Pass and games coming to Steam. It's taken as console warring though.

Last edited:

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry but as someone who owned an Xbox one and played the 360 a lot, I don't see how what they're doing is benefiting the Xbox console platform and I'm quite sick of this "Mr. Nice Guy Talk." Sure Gamepass is a great value, but PC also has GamePass along with all the other Xbox games. So like this just makes think my Xbox console is not worth it. Hopefully next gen will bring Xbox back to the glory days, but how they gave up on the Xbox One when I owned it really left a bad taste in my mouth. But who knows.

My assumption is the most gamers will switch between PC and console. Being in both places with services that people like and can easily move between the two will be hugely beneficial to Microsoft.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It's kind of odd that you frame it as a negative that you don't need to buy an Xbox since you game on PC. Isn't that a positive?

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is you're not adapting. The platform is Xbox. Xbox is pc, console, xCloud. Nobody cares if you own the box. They care if you're gaming on Xbox.

You know what..you nailed it. Especially the "YOU'RE not adapting" line

I can play XGS and GamePass tiles on my monster PC rig at my desk, or on my couch with my One X (and Series X in the future)

How is that not fuckin cool and how do you NOT want that to be the future?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all going crazy over Matt Botty but Greg Coomer over at Valve is the new hotness.

Jokes aside the latency part and the maturation taking years approach is pretty candid and I like that they're front facing about it.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah it's such a strange concern to have.
If you have a PC, play the games there if you want to, it doesn't matter, just enjoy the games.
If you have a Xbox, play the games there if you want to, it doesn't matter, just enjoy the games.
Somehow having games available on several platforms is a problem. I'll never understand that thinking. To me it's the Xbox ecosystem's best feature.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

I can play XGS and GamePass tiles on my monster PC rig at my desk, or on my couch with my One X (and Series X in the future)

Yeah to me that's insane. It propelled me to get an Alienware pc and invest further in the exosystem (I already have 200 ish games bought outright on Xbox and access to more thru two years of membership of XGP)

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
it sucks that peoples value in a console is whether or not other people can play those games

all you're doing is trying to twist the logic around to justify your purchase when in reality... if it's exclusive all that changed is other people don't have a chance to play it. it changes nothing from the perspective of buying the system.

I want the market to grow... if it grows, there's more money being spent and more games being made.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah to me that's insane. It propelled me to get an Alienware pc and invest further in the exosystem (I already have 200 ish games bought outright on Xbox and access to more thru two years of membership of XGP)

Right? Like, idk.. Microsoft does the cool, consumer-friendly moves, things are looked at negatively.

Sony DOESN'T do those things, it's totally fine

You can't explain that

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
it sucks that peoples value in a console is whether or not other people can play those games

all you're doing is trying to twist the logic around to justify your purchase when in reality... if it's exclusive all that changed is other people don't have a chance to play it. it changes nothing from the perspective of buying the system.

I want the market to grow... if it grows, there's more money being spent and more games being made.
The way I see it is this. Let's say Capcom invests in a completely new IP. It is terrible. Everyone hates it when they buy it. But then it goes on game pass and people start talking about the game. The finer details. About what they like. About how they can improve. The IP, though new and hampered through a bad release, ends up not costing them millions upon millions. And, likely, it can grow through new installments. Less risk and less volatile. Access, not only through platforms but also through services, improves the industry

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
"....What gamers want in the near term isn't always the best business decision for us. But being inside Microsoft, I think because it's a big company, we take a long-term perspective on things."

Also why does this quote sound slightly sinister 😂

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019

Im totally with this. I hope play anywhere expands to 3rd party titles tho doubtful . I game on Xbox and Pc and I love play anywhere, and having GP on both platforms.
Next gen I may just stick with console, im not sure, but having the option is great.

Game on both ? Awesome
Game on Xbox or Pc only? Awesome .
Take you games on the go on your phone? Awesome.

Works out great for everyone. IDK why people are against this. Well why would we buy an Xbox? You don't have to if you have a PC how is that a negative? People seem upset that they save 500 dollars lol I don't get it. Well i do....but I cant understand it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

This is some Xbox diehards circa 2015 line of thinking.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Some people will have a rude awakening over the next years when it comes to ecosystems etc.

MS is, imho, just the first one to really embrace it openly.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Same here. Instead of investing and improving, they gave up on a lot of potentially great tech. I want my Xbox to be a locked down, secure, easy to use PC. Not a defeatured PC that needs a subscription to work.
good thing it doesnt need a subscription to work and you can still individually buy the games on game pass.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
If I had enough skills I would take that used PS4 game sharing tutorial vid and make Shu Xbox and Adam PC, and have them share the game between them. :)

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Are people really sad that exclusivity and console wars are dying out? Can Era please stop with the corporate stanning for one minute!?

Nobody cares what plastic computer you bought. Let other folks (PC and Mobile) join in on the fun.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised we'll be getting to know more about Initiative's game next year. That studio is a cool wildcard I'm looking forward to that. It should be a dope year in terms of announcements for them. Playground's second team will probably reveal as well.

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Arent you the one that had a meltdown on twitter over MLB going multiplat? 🤣🤣🤣

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It'll be interesting to see how different people cope with their post-consolewars existential crisis. Get ready for 7 years of Phil's Loophole.

Oggmeiler

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think the only new info there is we'll see The Initiative's project in the next 12 months. Not too surprising, though.
I guess that 's the deal, though they could have spun out a more interesting article over speculating what that game might be. However, that wouldn't get the next-gen clicks.