• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
To symbolize this commitment to players, Spencer and the leadership team at Xbox keep an empty chair at the leadership table to represent the customer. Spencer admits it's a bit corny, but it's a constant reminder to the leadership team who they're working for and what they want. "The gamers don't buy things because we need them to buy it; they don't do things because we need them to go do them," he says. "They do things because it matches what they need, and sometimes, frankly, what gamers want in the near term isn't always the best business decision for us. But being inside Microsoft, I think because it's a big company, we take a long-term perspective on things."

"[They've] all given their stamp of approval for their games to play with Project xCloud," general manager of Project xCloud Catherine Gluckstein says. "It takes hardly any time at all – I think somewhere less than 30 minutes – to get a game live."

However, the team knows that eliminating latency in a cloud streaming service isn't a possibility at this point in the tech's lifespan. "What we've found is that consistency of latency is actually much more important than the absence of latency," corporate vice president of Project xCloud Kareem Choudhry says. "We're doing a lot of work to make sure it's consistent as possible.

"Our real strategy here is what it means to be in the Xbox community," head of Xbox Phil Spencer says. "It means I want to be able to log into Xbox Live, I want to have access to Game Pass in a store, I want to have access to our great first-party portfolio. I'd say that's our strategy. And it's true: There have been certain things that have shown up on other platforms, but I wouldn't say those things are strategic. I think those are kind of opportunistic or partner-led."

Despite the optimism surrounding the technology, Spencer acknowledges that it's still years of community feedback from maturation, and that it still falls short of the experience players get when their game is local. "The best place to play is locally; I'll say that flat-out," he says. "Streaming is a technology of convenience. It's a technology of choice when you're away from your console and you want to play."

We've yet to learn anything about what The Initiative has been working on since its founding in 2018, but Booty tells me we'll learn more over the next 12 months.

"Sure, we could do publishing relationships there, and we might do that; I think that's fine. In fact, I would suspect we will do some of those," Spencer says. "But I also think as we continue to evolve our platform, having a first-party studio voice at the table that is from Asia, whether it's Japan or another market, would be a good add for us."

"I think a lot of our learning played out during the generation as we were listening to fans and customers on what we needed to evolve," he says. "I love the fact that now this team gets to create a platform that is kind of uniquely ours to go create. Because many people on the Xbox leadership team today kind of inherited this platform, and I think they've done a great job. But [Series X] is the platform that this team can go create. I'm incredibly encouraged by the work."
www.gameinformer.com

Forward Facing

Microsoft used this generation to get itself ready for the next one.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought about the latency consistency thing, but that makes some sense.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry y'all, call me immature and a terrible second post, but Booty as a last name will never NOT be funny to me. Nothing against ol' Matt though

Therealap99

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Sorry but as someone who owned an Xbox one and played the 360 a lot, I don't see how what they're doing is benefiting the Xbox console platform and I'm quite sick of this "Mr. Nice Guy Talk." Sure Gamepass is a great value, but PC also has GamePass along with all the other Xbox games. So like this just makes think my Xbox console is not worth it. Hopefully next gen will bring Xbox back to the glory days, but how they gave up on the Xbox One when I owned it really left a bad taste in my mouth. But who knows.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Sorry but as someone who owned an Xbox one and played the 360 a lot, I don't see how what they're doing is benefiting the Xbox console platform and I'm quite sick of this "Mr. Nice Guy Talk." Sure Gamepass is a great value, but PC also has GamePass along with all the other Xbox games. So like this just makes think my Xbox console is not worth it. Hopefully next gen will bring Xbox back to the glory days, but how they gave up on the Xbox One when I owned it really left a bad taste in my mouth. But who knows.
They don't care if you play their games on pc or xbox. All that matters is is that you play them.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The problem is you're not adapting. The platform is Xbox. Xbox is pc, console, xCloud. Nobody cares if you own the box. They care if you're gaming on Xbox.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
2020 looks like an incredible year for Xbox both from a software and a hardware viewpoint.

So much to look forward too.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not this again.

Therealap99

Banned
Dec 19, 2019

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Xbox owners haven't lost anything except exclusivity. Maybe don't get so attached to a box

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

PC does not compete with Xbox. They want you to play games on Windows. I still like playing on both. You can't play 360/Xbox games on Windows. And when the new Xbox is out, it's going to be very expensive to get an equivalent gaming PC for some time.

well then I guess the platform just isn't for me anymore. I'm more traditional I guess.

So you don't like Xbox because its games are also available on Windows?

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
well then I guess the platform just isn't for me anymore. I'm more traditional I guess.
[/QUOTE]
I do not understand. You said game pass is rad, but that it's on pc and that there's no point to Xbox console. I explained to you Xbox console and pc are part of same ecosystem and then you're like LOL ITS NOT FOR ME. Like, you're on pc and you prefer it it's obviously for you

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

If I had a dollar for every time someone said, "Why do I need an Xbox of they put their games on PC" comment, I'd have as much money as Bill Gates.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Yeah if you play all your games on PC as your preferred platform then no need for an Xbox. Microsoft has no issue with that. Many others - mainstream audiences in particular - enjoy the low price of entry and convenience of a console, so they won't care if the games are also on PC, as they don't play games on PC.

Also if some people are struggling to fit a XSX in to their home theatre setup, then they're really going to struggle with a PC :)

Xbox is now a platform/ecosystem and not just a console. They'll make attractive hardware as a way to access the platform just as they make Surface for Windows. But they don't care if you access it via PC or xCloud instead. You still end up at the same destination.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
If I had a dollar for every time someone said, "Why do I need an Xbox of they put their games on PC" comment, I'd have as much money as Bill Gates.

I know you're being facetious, but you really wouldn't. If we assume it takes 2 seconds to say that phrase, and someone was endlessly saying that phrase to you for 24 hours a day, it would still take over 1600 years for you to earn as much as Bill. That's the crazy wealth disparity of our world.

Earthed

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Latency will never be a solved problem though, right? Because it's basically inherent to the medium itself, what with the speed of light and all.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Interesting to see Phil talking about having their own studios in Asia again. Sounds like they're all in on that so surprised we've not seen/heard any progress yet.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Interesting interview, Stadia struggling has given everyone some breathing space.
I think Sony and MS took one hard look at that clusterfuck and noped the fuck out from trying to force things like that.

Also I could just get a Pc next (blew my yearly budget on a sweet C9 -65" TV) but i'll just wait for the new consoles I'll end up getting two consoles with high performance for the fracture of the price of the PC I was thinking of building.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are doing a great job getting back to being relevant

Start of this gen my gaming time was 95% ps4, now it is 75% xbox

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It seems any hardware innovation that won't translate to game streaming is off the table: No AR, VR or motion control.

Disappointing. Microsoft has the resources and devices (Kinect, Hololense, WMR) to innovate and provide console users opportunity in this area but they have retreated. Sony's VR and motion control solutions may not be as good, but at least they let console users buy them, unlike Microsoft.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I think you need to look at it in different way. Why shrink down the market access just to one box and lock everyone out who does not have 5-600 USD to shell out for one console. Why wait years to gain access to more people when the console price goes down to .. still a staggering 3-400 USD.

They diversify the games and the access so that they gain more money in the long run. Its like buying a brand new high ene tv and then not being happy how people with low/medium end tv have access to Netflix too.

Ye ye I know Sony does not allow games to go onto PC except .. kinda with their PSNow on PC. In the end the console wars are going to go the way of Amazon / Disney / Netflix where you can watch em all on most devices, but they are hunting for original content.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Same here. Instead of investing and improving, they gave up on a lot of potentially great tech. I want my Xbox to be a locked down, secure, easy to use PC. Not a defeatured PC that needs a subscription to work.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
It seems any hardware innovation that won't translate to game streaming is off the table: No AR, VR or motion control.

Disappointing. Microsoft has the resources and devices (Kinect, Hololense, WMR) to innovate and provide console users opportunity in this area but they have retreated. Sony's VR and motion control solutions may not be as good, but at least they let console users buy them, unlike Microsoft.
I get where your coming from but the state Microsoft is in now, it's probably best they focus on getting their core games business together before they start tackling AR/VR games. Sony is able to do what they do because they got in a position where they are able to put out quality standard titles on a consistent basis so now they can focus on VR games as well. Microsoft isn't there yet.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who knew more options was a bad thing? Xbox is way beyond being a console.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018

If any of the above would be announced by Microsoft right now for the Xbox Series X the whole gaming media and clickbait site would rip those products to shreds immiediately calling them Kinect 2.0 and scream how MS is wasting resources.

They need to play it super safe right now in terms of hardware with a clear hardcore gamer message. Otherwise most sites will just point out that why bother with MS experimental tech when you have the tried and true PS VR

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Good thing we've mostly moved on from the 90s' "my platform is the only one that matters" mentality. :p

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I get what you are saying but prepare for you alerts to go crazy. Makes sense you wouldn't want to invest in an xbox console if you can have the same experience else where. It's not a dig at Xbox but people will perceive it that way.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Maybe I frequent this forum a bit too much, or read too much Xbox news, but this article tells me absolutely nothing I didn't already know. You could take the bit out about XSX and it would be identical to many other articles and interviews written straight after XO19.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're being facetious, but you really wouldn't. If we assume it takes 2 seconds to say that phrase, and someone was endlessly saying that phrase to you for 24 hours a day, it would still take over 1600 years for you to earn as much as Bill. That's the crazy wealth disparity of our world.

Lol. Well played.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
im glad they are not doubling down on streaming as a catch all solution. that will give sony some breathing room as well to not feel pressured to follow after them. good news to me, streaming can go die.

A lot of the interview is a retread of things we already know, but its good to gain perspective in plain statements

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I get what you are saying but prepare for you alerts to go crazy. Makes sense you wouldn't want to invest in an xbox console if you can have the same experience else where. It's not a dig at Xbox but people will perceive it that way.
This is true too but if you'd rather play on PC then go do that. They are shifting their position and doing their own thing playing to their own strengths.
The reason there is backlash to this line of comment is because it IS used as concern trolling regularly so it blurs the line between honest conversation and trolling. Which on turn is why it's used in trolling so often.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But they're not saying that. They're saying that playing on the Xbox is less enjoyable if the games are available elsewhere. Even though they don't have the intention to. It's nonsense.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
Wow the spins in this thread to make all things Xbox look bad is strong. I guess we are back into the console warz for the next few years uh.