• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
www.thestar.com

‘Big Brother Canada’ ends season early due to COVID-19 developments

Just over a week after announcing production was still underway on “Big Brother Canada” despite the global COVID-19 crisis, producers now say the reality series has ended early.

Global and Insight Productions say production on Season 8 is now done in light of developments in Ontario on the fight against the pandemic.

The cast of "Big Brother Canada" Season 8. Those house guests still on the show will go home without a winner with the series finishing the season early due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The companies say they have no plans to resume production at a later date for this season, which was scheduled to end May 21.

The final two episodes will air this Wednesday and next Wednesday, April 1. A winner will not be named.

Can't say I'm surprised, if not a tad bit sad. This season was a mess with players either self evicting or getting thrown out by production. It has only been on the air for 3 weeks and so far 4 people had been forcibly ejected / or removed themselves from the game.

I went to the taping of the premiere episode, one of only two live audiences all season.

RIP BBCAN8, you were doomed from the start.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Good for you guys, here, in Brazil, it's still going strong(it will end earlier, tho).
I doubt they'll cancel it, since it's a success.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
That's crazy, but makes sense. I wonder what they'll do with the prize. Seems most fair to just split it between remaining contestants

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I have to assume the show wasn't clicking since a lot of you guys say it was a mess from the jump. 3-4 people left by their own admission before the nation shutdown too.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's $100,000 Canadian, I imagine it'll go to some kind of relief fund to fight the outbreak.
I'd hope the contestants get something, and the network matches the money with a donation. Contestants can sometimes upend their entire lives to be on these shows and spend months away from family and work. Taking the prize away altogether doesn't feel totally right.

zeitgeist

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame everything unfolded the way it did.

The House was absolutely gorgeous this year (like always) and it's too bad everything has to be cut short.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I thought maybe because the contestants were already in isolation and most of the camera work was automated, perhaps they would continue. There's always set construction and a lot of production people around so pulling the plug shouldn't be a surprise. It's not exactly an essential service to run the show.

On top of that, the game has been a mess. Different circumstances have derailed the gameplay so perhaps that factored into the decision.

There's going to be sponsorship issues by ending the show. Perhaps the $100K will be needed to legally satisfy sponsors.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
COVID-19 provided them with an opportune exit given how the season had progressed up until now.
Hopefully they're able to salvage the franchise in future years.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I have a friend who worked on this and she's now out of work til possibly September. A lot of the film industry is being super disrupted up here, even seemingly tertiary and/or remote jobs.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I have a friend who worked on this and she's now out of work til possibly September. A lot of the film industry is being super disrupted up here, even seemingly tertiary and/or remote jobs.
Does your friend have any insight on the staffer revolt that helped to facilitate this season's premature end?

I think ending the season was the correct call but that's taking all of the factors (including COVID-19) into consideration.

The Big Brother seasons in Germany and Brazil remain ongoing.