• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...okay with children dying in cages, and all the other bullshit that happens...for their guy to get into the oval office.

How do you have a reasonable conversation when that is their stance.

This is the cornerstone of accelerationism. Tons of people were arguing it in 2016, and I've almost ended decades-long friendships over it.

It is the ultimate endgame of the vocal anti-establishment types, be it pure-Greens or Paul-Sanders swing voters.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Controversial opinion: In some regards, YES

Trump is a silver lining. He has exposed the GOP for what it is, a bunch of racist, greedy pieces of shit. They've shown their true colors and intentions. They have nowhere to hide. If Democrats and progressives play their cards right, this could be the catalyst for a new beginning, finally ushering in the social and economic change we need to move foward.

Hillary would have effectively been an extension of Obama's center-left/ moderate policy and presidency. Everything at the surface level may have been okay, but there would be far more underlying hostility and bad blood brewing. The right wing would be even angrier and unhinged than they are now. Now imagine that entire base and movement, lead by a candidate who isn't a dumbass like Trump, who truly knows how to game the system.

Draper

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Harrisburg, PA
Small brain time

Of course not, but I also think you know that and your underlying intent here is to further anger those who are not fully won over by Bernie.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Hell no. He would have accomplished almost none of his agenda anyway, and 4 years of 'more of the same' from Hillary would have been a hell of a lot better than the clusterfuck that has been the Trump administration.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
to echo everyone else: no

The kids who were separated at the border will have a very difficult time if they are able to even find their parents again due to this administration intentionally not tracking where families were being deported to

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
No.

A Trump presidency is going to lead to Trump 2.0 where we will seriously be at risk of having certain states becoming too dangerous to live in.

A Trump presidency has already helped trigger a cascade of global political parties adapting his regressive tactics and policies and ensures in the future Europe will fighting among each other, again.

A Trump presidency has basically set in motion a situation where Iran will become a definite nuclear power in a decade instead of theoretically one in 20-30 years depending on how we negotiated with them.

The only thing I have my doubts Clinton actually addressing any better than Trump is climate change. Not saying she wouldn't do anything. I'm saying she wouldn't take the problem seriously enough to mitigate its effects. Half assing climate initiatives is practically as worthless as doing nothing.

It's not worth it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Was it worth it to:

- lose 2 (maybe more) SCOTUS seats
- have the Charlottesville attack
- have kids in cages
- slow down action on climate change
- fucking over Puerto Rico
- boost the rise of the far-right all across the US and in the world
- normalizing fake news and anti-journalism
- and more fuckery that I can't be arsed to list right now

....Yeah gee I dunno! Bernie is that good you guys! /s

Seriously, how is anyone even entertaining the idea that Bernie is so magical that he'd be worth having had all of the above? Imagine telling this to everyone fucked over by that conservative SCOTUS or to the children in those cages or the parents of Heather Heyer or the Puerto Ricans affected by Maria, "yeah what Trump did was bad but it's OK, Bernie will make everything better now".

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the OP is asking if it's worth it that minorities were living under a nightmare for four years so that we might MIGHT universal healthcare?

Nice. :|

Seven of Nine

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how one could think it was. All the pain, suffering, oppression, hate crimes, and deaths are worth it to you if Bernie is President?

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
someone like trump eventually geting elected.
If Hillary won it'd be not as likely at least for a bit. The media narrative after the election would have been drastically different. Republicans would have to do something or show they're trying to do something after 3 straight losses. Just like Trump was kind of the answer to Romney not working, there'd be an answer to Trump not working.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Single-payer would be great if we get it, but the Trump presidency's damage to Puerto Rico and to an entire generation of refugees (not to mention an immensely effective campaign to pack the federal judiciary with archconservatives) is going to take decades to recover from.

I think the only way this counterfactual hypothetical makes any sense is if you make the extremely faulty assumption that there'd be absolutely no leftist mobilization or protest under a HRC presidency.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No. Who knows what future monsters will spawn is Trump's wake. And even if he isn't a potential dark omen of things to come, it would take years/decades to undo his work. If Bernie wins, that doesn't mean the coming years won't still be hard.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
At best the thread premise dismisses the horrors and wrongs that has been the last for years. So it will be locked

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
People really should realize a Sanders Presidency and a Clinton presidency wouldn't be that effectively much different. The president isn't a king/queen. The median senator and makeup of the house plus Supreme Court matters much more. That plus whether the president is Republican or Democrat in general and you have the direction.

Hillary losing meant losing the Supreme Court, so anything Sanders tried to do will be an uphill battle, especially if it's as radical as his most fervent supporters would want. And the Supreme Court will be fucked for a very very long time.

Add to that the fact that Trump basically gutted and fucked every government agency, and it definitely wasn't worth it.

ding ding ding

Status
Not open for further replies.