• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

I want to add those first 4 things were things he demanded be done now (existing bills in Congress, actions Trump should take, etc.) and he said going to be unveiling more policy (he has some on his website already) as to what he's specifically going to do as President on this.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Great speech and what people need to see. Also, I'm glad folks are learning to pay no mind to the anti-Biden bait being laid out. Cops in the street shooting protesters and surrounding homes, not many are interested in relitigating the primaries at this point and time especially. Move the fuck forward.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna hear a goddamn thing more about sitting out this November. Biden isn't perfect...but he sure as hell is better than the alternative.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Great speech. It's great to be reminded of what real leaders sound like.

But, but, I though Biden was senile?

I asked a similar question to a similar point in another thread earlier:

Please give us an example of Trump doing something even remotely on the same scale as staging a coup/effectively abolishing the Presidency as a recognisable institution.
And you can keep asking. People love spreading the fear-mongering hyperbole here and it's extremely overwhelming.

It is ridiculous that we are this far into these protests and riots and Biden is the first serious politician actually calling out changes like banning chokeholds. Its good that the House is working on a bill about QI also, but why the fuck haven't more mayors and governors been saying the same very basic steps?

For real.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
All this comes out of his mouth after his boy had the fucking park gassed just so he could take a picture with a book he don't read.

220331_1295876.jpg

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
It is ridiculous that we are this far into these protests and riots and Biden is the first serious politician actually calling out changes like banning chokeholds. Its good that the House is working on a bill about QI also, but why the fuck haven't more mayors and governors been saying the same very basic steps?

many of these mayors are shook of the police unions in their cities. I live in NYC and De Blasio ran on a police reformer platform and even called out the NYPD after Eric Garner. However the protests in recent days along with how the police unions humiliate has him trying to appease the police but he still gets trashed. Don't understand why he bothers since he only has a year left on his term.

we need to dismantle these police unions as most of them are MAGA loving asshats

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I wish I could say that hate began with Donald Trump and would end with him. It didn't and it won't. American history isn't a fairy tale with a guaranteed happy ending. The battle for the soul of this nation has been a constant push and pull for more than 240 years.

I am glad to see this kind of honesty. It is on Joe Biden, his cabinet, and voters to make sure his is the most consequential presidency in the history of the United States. Anything less will be catastrophic for both the US and the world.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
Wow, this is a good speech. I was already going to vote for Biden because I have to vote against Trump — assuming we have anything resembling a normal election, of course — but this is the first time I've felt any true enthusiasm for him.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't wanna hear a goddamn thing more about sitting out this November. Biden isn't perfect...but he sure as hell is better than the alternative.

I think the mistake we often make is looking for perfect politicians. Because that implies there are perfect human beings. And considering the grotesque human being currently inhabiting the Oval Office and the path he wishes to take us all down, we can't survive another four years of the American Carnage he promised.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Very moving speech. Now this is what I expect from a president.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Yeah, it's outrageous. It's something I brought up a day or two ago. They could quell a lot of fury (not all, of course) by simply doing something. The "Well what are the protesters' demands? What do they want? They're just rioting!" rhetoric started getting trotted out, and a) it is abundantly clear what people want, and b) it's probably not 'jack shit'.

OP
OP
Mr. Snuffleupagus
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I am glad to see this kind of honesty. It is on Joe Biden, his cabinet, and voters to make sure his is the most consequential presidency in the history of the United States. Anything less will be catastrophic for both the US and the world.
I ended up putting that quote in the OP, for those who may be too busy to watch the whole thing, they should at least read one of the more important quotes from it IMO.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
That was a good speech that the nation desperately needed right now. Pressure needs to ramp on congress to do their job to clamp down on trump & cops abuse of power.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
come on people. This equivocation and cherry picking just has to stop.

Don't get me wrong, it's totally better than Trump and all, but I'd advise not to jump into the savior train just because he's saying what he's saying. Kennedy also gassed Vietnam oppositors, don't lower your own bar just because "he's not trump"

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
Amazing speech. My country (Brazil) knows how it feels to have an idiotic hate-fueled manchild as the President, so it's sooo refreshing to hear a speech so empathetical and incisive.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
And you can keep asking. People love spreading the fear-mongering hyperbole here and it's extremely overwhelming.
A few months ago, everyone would have said it was fearmongering hyperbole to claim that Trump would steal PPE and supplies during a pandemic to maximize casualties in blue states, or that he would mobilize active duty troops to brutalize citizens in resposne to peaceful protests. It's all fearmongering hyperbole until it happens, and it's been happening over and over. Nothing is beyond the pale.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really do hope that the current civil unrest and protests have not enhanced Trump's numbers going into election. I need to see polls.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Platitudes are what got us here, and did nothing but quell unrest for another x years until more minorities around the US get murdered by police and we start again. I'm hopeful that the timing of this, with months until the election and with a facist racist president in charge not interested in helping things cool down will lead to some semblence of real change via constant pressure.

Another president who is willing to give the facade of doing something and following through with nothing would just make the white suburbanites go "oh well, racism fixed, cops are good again is my starbucks finally open again"? Having a president actively incite people may actually bring about real lasting change.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get me wrong, it's totally better than Trump and all, but I'd advise not to jump into the savior train just because he's saying what he's saying. Kennedy also gassed Vietnam oppositors, don't lower your own bar just because "he's not trump"

Takes like this are just the fucking worst...

People are happy to see some semblance of normalcy. They see Biden as a savior from Trump, but who the fuck think he is going to solve all of America's problems and be perfect? He said so himself he wouldnt be able to do that!

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
It really doesn't matter if it's a Republican or Democrat politician that I hear speaking you can tell they have a grasp of their agenda and what they want to happen and communicate it to the people. Rand Paul was speaking to the Senate on opening up Kentucky and he laid down his argument. He made substantive statements. During the daily Cuomo press conferences he speaks like he knows what is going on and again makes substantive statements. The mayor of Boston same. This Biden speech was presidential and he made comments of substance. It's really night and day going from essentially 'here's what I plan to do or need done' to 'really, really, bad people. The worst. Sad.' Trump talks a whole lot but more was actually said in this 30 minute speech than Trump has said all year.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's saying something when me, a Canadian who can't and won't vote, is almost in tears watching this. I don't even know if it's the quality of the speech (though it was a good speech, and eloquently presented) or just the fleeting glimpse of what an actual leader in America looks like again. It was like coming up for air.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Fantastic speech that was superbly given. Such a contrast with the narcissistic demagogue who is currently living in the White House. Whether you love Biden or wish that Bernie should be the Democratic nominee, there should be no question -- no doubt -- for anyone in regard to supporting and voting for Biden in November. I don't know how America can withstand another four years of what we have experienced in the last four where the very fabric of the nation has been undermined and where any social gains that have been made over the past few decades have been so badly damaged.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
God, with constantly seeing trump and boris as our leaders, it almost brings to tears seeing a decent orator for once.

God I hope America does the right thing in November. Or else the country really will be in the toilet, as it's circling the drain already

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Embarrassing for a sitting president to get upstaged by a candidate running against him. Joe is taking over the presidency without an election.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust Biden to overhaul policing in this country, any more than I trust him to overhaul healthcare. But I trust him more than Trump to ultimately sign off on something if activists manage to demand that congress ultimately puts legislation together, and perhaps more importantly I believe he will not cut funding or otherwise enact retribution against local governments that take actions on their own

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust Biden to overhaul policing in this country, any more than I trust him to overhaul healthcare. But I trust him more than Trump to ultimately sign off on something if activists manage to demand that congress ultimately puts legislation together, and perhaps more importantly I believe he will not cut funding or otherwise enact retribution against local governments that take actions on their own
I don't trust Biden to do much of anything, however the people that I do trust will have much easier lives when Biden is President.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Takes like this are just the fucking worst...

People are happy to see some semblance of normalcy. They see Biden as a savior from Trump, but who the fuck think he is going to solve all of America's problems and be perfect? He said so himself he wouldnt be able to do that!

He's saying that "we need to separate the peaceful from the violent", he is 1- dismissing the violence as if it wasn't part of the protest, and 2- implying the democrats wouldn't gas peaceful protesters if it was against them. How easy is to fall for a politician, for god's sake. Like I get it and I support the idea of voting him since it is totally better than Trump, but the words he's saying are because it's in HIS best interest and because protests aren't against HIM.

Oct 27, 2017
A much required and thorough speech that didn't shy away from the intersectionality of the nation's failings when it comes to social, economic and racial justice while also conveying the depths of the problems that need to be addressed to begin to heal those wounds.

A stark and notable difference from the despot dictator who wants to turn this country into a tyrannical wasteland where black and brown bodies are trampled upon more than they already are.

Joe Biden isn't a perfect man and he won't be a perfect President, he has numerous issues and blindspots when it comes to his history... but those who dismiss what he said today or disingenuously equate him with people like Trump - you're part of the problem.

OP
OP
Mr. Snuffleupagus
Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Announce Abrams as VP in the next week or two.
His current time frame, I remember reading, was by August 1st. I believe that checks are still being performed so I don't think he would jump the gun right now for this as it's more a security matter than cheap political point scoring. What he could do would be to mention a bunch of white women who aren't likely to be getting the spot at least, assuming the Klob and Whitmer are out of the running, for example.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
This man does not sound senile at all.
No that was just Bernie fan nonsense as can still be seen on Twitter.

Is he old? Yes
Is he ancient? Yes slightly mummified
Is he senile - nope

Dude may end up a one term president and the VP will have to step up but he fills me with hope that come November we can knock the white supremacists out the WH

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful speech. More like this, Joe. People want someone different. You can win so many more over too.

Piecake

Oct 27, 2017
He's saying that "we need to separate the peaceful from the violent", he is 1- dismissing the violence as if it wasn't part of the protest, and 2- implying the democrats wouldn't gas peaceful protesters if it was against them. How easy is to fall for a politician, for god's sake. Like I get it and I support the idea of voting him since it is totally better than Trump, but the words he's saying are because it's in HIS best interest and because protests aren't against HIM.

You are honestly fucking delusional if you ever think any politician or any leader would say something like that

I mean, my god, read the room dude. Trump just basically called himself a dictator yesterday and this was speech was meant as a catharsis, a glimpse of what an actual president should look like.

Its like going into a cute cat thread and telling everyone to remember that cats are evil bastards who have committed genocide against birds. People know that shit. People aren't stupid. People also know to read the room and situation and not bring up that shit and assume that people don't know it.