• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via The Hill:
The former vice president said he might announce some of his Cabinet level picks before the election, and that he would take the advice given to him by former President Obama to surround himself with people who "know more than you know."

Biden also said he would consider Republicans for some top level positions within his administration.

"One advantage of being around a long time is you get to know an awful lot of people. In the private sector, in the public sector, people who are committed — first and foremost — are thoroughly honorable," he said.

He didn't learn anything from the eight years as VP with Obama, did he?

Lock if old.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Dems always do this with the Defense Secretary position. Sometimes it bites them in the ass but for the most part they just follow whatever guidance is set.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
For every blue-collar Democrat they lose in western Pennsylvania, they will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This really isn't uncommon at all. It's not amazing news, but it's also not BAD news. A lot of Democrats hire Republicans in their cabinets.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How many Democrats work in the current administration?

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Any Republican certainly wouldn't be a sitting member of Congress or someone serving in the White House, that's for sure.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I see some defense and intelligence positions that might be held by Republicans. Honestly this is not that odd in a place like Washington.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
They never did that to begin with for the most part, they were just a lot more content in doing it less brazenly and weren't quite all in on the fascism train at that point (though, again, they were already most of the way there too).
Yeah. We're talking about now though. All Republicans are trash who're willing to destroy America for their own personal gain. So why would you have them be part of your administration in any way?

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I see some defense and intelligence positions that might be held by Republicans. Honestly this is not that odd in a place like Washington.

Yeah I think some may have forgotten that Trump went to war with a particular type of Republican in the intelligence, police, and military arenas when he first got into office. Think people like James Comey or Robert Mueller who most certainly won't be left over Trumpers.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
How many Democrats work in the current administration?

Trump started with one holdover, Shulkin at the Department of Veterans Affairs, but did fire him eventually.

Of course Biden's going to say this but I don't think he'll do it unless he feels a personal compatibility with them. Obama's Republican picks at Department of Defense just ended up fighting with him, which is why he ended up picking a DoD Democratic careerist in Ash Carter as his third Defense Secretary.

Biden's a little bit different in that he has long-running friendships with people that might be able to transcend that, but we'll see. At the moment he's just saying it because it sounds nice.

Aug 12, 2019
Yeah. We're talking about now though. All Republicans are trash who're willing to destroy America for their own personal gain. So why would you have them be part of your administration in any way?

I don't want them in his administration to be clear and I'm not defending this decision on Biden's part. I'm just saying, Republicans have long since chosen to actively ignore the rule of law and have mostly just become more open and bold in it recent years rather than this just being a new thing. Stuff like this is exactly what I've always feared with Biden sadly.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want them in his administration to be clear and I'm not defending this decision on Biden's part. I'm just saying, Republicans have long since chosen to actively ignore the rule of law and have mostly just become more open and bold in it recent years rather than this just being a new thing. Stuff like this is exactly what I've always feared with Biden sadly.
Than we agree. I wasn't trying to say Republicans were good. My bad if it came off that way. Just that they had some sense compared to what ever the fuck they are now.

Oct 26, 2017
By "Republican" I don't think he means the Trumpian type, but more so those along the lines of Mueller and Comey, figures who were actively seen in opposition to the Trump Administration.

Don't think this is the approach that will unite Dems or turn Republicans away from Trump, so I really hope he does not go through with it. This is just a nostalgic, bipartisan pandering "return to civility" stunt. We are far beyond that by now.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Sigh

These are cabinet positions not political appointments. They aren't going to be deciding policy. There are many positions within the administration that have nothing to do with politics and can be done by anyone, and ideally by carrier public servants who have worked under many different administration's.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AJKL;FGDSJHKLAFSDLK;JAFSDHJKLAFSDUHJKL;AFSDJLIK;AFSDJKL;AFSD

NO
nonono

Just NO

Gumshoe

Oct 31, 2017
He really is shaping up to be a unity candidate that can beat Trump in November. These stances are what I will be able to point toward when asked by leftists to justify my excitement for his presidency.

Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying the Hill made up this quote?
But that's not him necessarily saying he would consider Republicans. It's just him saying Republicans have talked to him about serving.

"One advantage of being around a long time is you get to know an awful lot of people. In the private sector, in the public sector, people who are committed — first and foremost — are thoroughly honorable," he said.

"I have had literally several hundred serious, serious players who have been held positions in every department in the federal government who have said, including some Republicans, who have said if you win, I want to come back. I'm ready to serve," he added.

Nothing in the excerpt really supports this: "Biden also said he would consider Republicans for some top level positions within his administration."

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on exactly what positions those are and what Republicans are those.

As others have noted, it's not historically rare for presidents to appoint a few people from the other party.

That said, I hope it's not for the key jobs. Tertiary or secondary stuff? I don't mind.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Won't make people happy, but it should make it easier for swing voters to swing. It appeals to the fantasy notion of a "bi-partisan return to normalcy" polls show that most Americans want.

Saying "I would NEVER hire someone based on their political beliefs!" is sketchy and only strengths the "both sides" argument. Even if you would never hire someone based on their political beliefs.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
But that's not him necessarily saying he would consider Republicans. It's just him saying Republicans have talked to him about serving.

"I have had literally several hundred serious, serious players who have been held positions in every department in the federal government who have said, including some Republicans, who have said if you win, I want to come back. I'm ready to serve," he added.

Nothing in the excerpt really supports this: "Biden also said he would consider Republicans for some top level positions within his administration."
Why even bring up republicans at all? I get that not all republicans are bad but when it comes to your cabinet positions why even consider anyone who has ties with that side of the isle?

Perhaps I'm ignorant. Perhaps I'm jaded. I don't understand what he gains from mentioning Republicans considering the last 50 years.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why even bring up republicans at all? I get that not all republicans are bad but when it comes to your cabinet positions why even consider anyone who has ties with that side of the isle?

Perhaps I'm ignorant. Perhaps I'm jaded. I don't understand what he gains from mentioning Republicans considering the last 50 years.
He's the "reach across the aisle" candidate, this is him reaching across the aisle.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jon Huntsman would be on the top of my list of Republicans who I'd be fine with serving in a future Democratic administration.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

His entire platform is unity.

As I posted the last president to not have appointees from the other party would be before Roosevelt.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Huntsman would be on the top of my list of Republicans who I'd be fine with serving in a future Democratic administration.
a very short list of republicans i would trust to do their jobs and not try to get into party fuckery if they had the opportunity.

like imagine if we hadn't had cross party folks in play when Hillary and the Buttery Emails was all anyone would talk about.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Jesus Biden stop making it even harder for me to vote for your ass. :/ God this year is going to be a long one.

Has Trump even appointed any Democrats?

Oct 25, 2017

Why not? It's a good bit of rhetoric to sell yourself as someone capable of capturing people from the other side of the isle.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I see we have reached the "I'd like some republican votes too please!" part of the campaign.