• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why are you combining MI/PA/WI together like they're all one state? They're three separate states.

Biden gets ~21k fewer votes in Wisconsin, he loses the state. This brings him down to 296 electoral votes.
Biden gets ~13k fewer votes in Georgia, he loses the state. This brings him down to 280 votes.
Biden gets ~11k fewer votes in Arizona, he loses the state. This brings him down to 269 votes whereby he loses the electoral college.

It's really not that complicated. PA and Michigan don't matter at all in this scenario. They are exactly as relevant to this conversation as his margin of victory in California (i.e. not at all).
The reason MI/PA are relevant is because they're swing states. If GA had gone to pubs it'd be like California going for dems: expected. Same for AZ.

If we were in a situation where PA/MI/WI were the only swing states flipped, Biden would've won and we'd be saying that he won critical states by far more than Trump did in 2016.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Why are you combining MI/PA/WI together like they're all one state? They're three separate states.

Biden gets ~21k fewer votes in Wisconsin, he loses the state. This brings him down to 296 electoral votes.
Biden gets ~13k fewer votes in Georgia, he loses the state. This brings him down to 280 votes.
Biden gets ~11k fewer votes in Arizona, he loses the state. This brings him down to 269 votes whereby he loses the electoral college.

It's really not that complicated. PA and Michigan don't matter at all in this scenario. They are exactly as relevant to this conversation as his margin of victory in California (i.e. not at all).
Georgia and Arizona weren't needed, and are extra. That's why I'm Focusing on PA/MI/WI. CA is one of the safest blue states in the country, it's disingenuous to compare it to PA and MI.

I never said they were one state.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
You want even more grim news? Democrats lost even more ground with state legislatures which were already most GOP. With the green lighting of gerrymandering by the SC the GOP is going all out with redistricting this cycle. That means the House is going to get harder to keep as well.

Pretty much why winning the runoffs in Georgia are paramount. Without it we'll likely get 2 years of executive orders and then hope they can maybe flip the senate in 22.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Serious question, why would trump win the tie ?

This explains it. The House decides the tie, but not in the way you would typically think. Whoever controls more statehouses really decides it, and that's Republicans right now.

www.brookings.edu

What happens if Trump and Biden tie in the Electoral College? | Brookings

If the Electoral College is tied, the president will be selected in the House, with each state having only one vote. Which party has the majority of each state's delegation will be key.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
The reason MI/PA are relevant is because they're swing states. If GA had gone to pubs it'd be like California going for dems: expected. Same for AZ.

If we were in a situation where PA/MI/WI were the only swing states flipped, Biden would've won and we'd be saying that he won critical states by far more than Trump did in 2016.
Right, but it seems dicey to just group Wisconsin with the other two at this point, considering the margins between it and the other two. The whole point is that Wisconsin doesn't seem safe even though it's monolithed together with them as "the blue wall".

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
One perk of this election is that "so goes Ohio, so goes the nation" is dead.

Being white, old and uneducated finally caught up with it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but it seems dicey to just group Wisconsin with the other two at this point. considering the margins between it and the other two. The whole point is that Wisconsin doesn't seem safe even though it's monolithed together with them as "the blue wall".
You can group GA with the other two. Or AZ with the other two.

Pretty much why winning the runoffs in Georgia are paramount. Without it we'll likely get 2 years of executive orders and then hope they can maybe flip the senate in 22.
I feel like the most likely situation for 22 is flipping the Senate and losing the more gerrymandered house. So, yeah, runoffs are pretty important.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You can group GA with the other two. Or AZ with the other two.

I feel like the most likely situation for 22 is flipping the Senate and losing the more gerrymandered house.
You can if you want, but if all three are set to stay close, potentially even tossups, then democrats have work to do because that's not a reliable strategy. Why exactly is Wisconsin different to the other two to be that different in voting? That needs to be figured out.

flawfuls

Oct 28, 2017
c
Man the bad math (or lack of willingness to do maths at all) in this thread is killing me. The OP is 100% right.

yea im confused how did he win it by less votes trump got in 2016? I thought he wont MI alone by more votes than trump won by in 2016?

The blue wall concept is confusing people. It makes no sense in grouping them together. Its not the same for Republicans and democrats. Democrats need all 3 to win republicans only need 1.

Think of it this way. Michigan and Pensilvania were as much bonuses in 2016 for the Republicans as Arizona and Georgia are for the democrats now.

Both years Wisconsin alone was the tipping point state.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The most damning thing is that Biden had to win the popular vote by 6 million to get the sane number of electoral votes as Trump did when he lost the popular vote by 3 million.

Also, I seriously doubt the NPVIC would survive this Supreme Court, even if it managed to pass in a majority of states.

If the NPVIC fails, that's fine too. It would mean the Supreme Court ruled that states are not in charge of their own elections.

People focus on the "compact" word and say it'd be knocked down on that basis. But each state can, constitutionally, assign their electors however they want. They can make it a fucking jump rope competition of they want to.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
The appeal of those tactics is only decreasing as time goes on. They have tasted nectar with Trump, somebody who promises every policy they want and also confirms their fears and delusions as real. They do not seem super interested in going back to water. Machin and a few select others have a good personal brand with them, but I think that it's pretty clear that the culture war interests of the WWC have hugely outweighed all other considerations, and that the WAR part of culture war is only going to get more pronounced as time goes on. It's not enough to offer them something they need; they also want to know that other people are losing.

Like, breaking it down point by point:

-They don't care about infrastructure, not really
-Sure, we should be doing that anyway
-Unions are barely popular with union members at this point due to culture war stuff
-This was the status quo for ages and it sucked both as policy and as politics
-Sure, but they don't really care. This is just persecution complex stuff, it's not going to respond to rational "look we're on the same side of this" appeals.
-They're still going to think that you're taking their guns.

You make a lot of fair points, but how else do you propose dems win the Presidency + House + Senate at the same time? There's a chance in January, but after that, the road is pretty tough.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Man the bad math (or lack of willingness to do maths at all) in this thread is killing me. The OP is 100% right.

The blue wall concept is confusing people. It makes no sense in grouping them together. Its not the same for Republicans and democrats. Democrats need all 3 to win republicans only need 1.

Think of it this way. Michigan and Pensilvania were as much bonuses in 2016 for the Republicans as Arizona and Georgia are for the democrats now.

Which is why Pelosi was saying this in August

abcnews.go.com

Pelosi tells fellow Democrats 'it's all riding on Wisconsin'

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and former Attorney General Eric Holder are delivering a stark message to Wisconsin Democrats about what role the key battleground state will have in the presidential election

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
....i dont follow this math

It's simple; it's propaganda dressed up in a veneer of math. This claim has been circulating in right wing media for weeks to delegitimize Biden's victory or soothe themselves. OP picked it up and posted it here as an original analysis. I'll give OP the benefit of the doubt, and assume they heard this argument and are genuinely concerned about the disparity in the EC, as opposed to concern trolling.

For example, this 11/8 piece from the Federalist contains this argument exactly:

President Donald Trump captured his first term in the White House four years ago by merely 77,000 votes across Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, shattering the Democratic blue wall in 2016.

As the final ballots are tallied in this year's election, Trump is so far on track to lose by an even slimmer number of votes that won him a first term. Leftist media have pre-emptively called the race for Democratic candidate Joe Biden, who appears on his way to victory by less than 50,000 votes this time across Wisconsin, Georgia, and Arizona.

At this point, Biden runs ahead of Trump by less than 50,000 votes total, with only a few thousand votes remaining to be counted. If each state were to flip to Trump, the president would enjoy four more years in the White House given that any tie in the Electoral College would swing the race over to the newly elected House of Representatives, where Republicans picked up seats.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Geez, when the Republican wins, Republicans scream how it's a landslide. When the Democrat wins, Democrats try to find ways to lessen the impact of the win.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
2016 Trump won because of a decrease in Dem turn out in battle ground states was down.

Biden won in 2020 by beating a guy who increased his turnout from 2016.

All the more impressive

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
lol this just popped up on my youtube feed, posted 20 minutes ago

Guess everyone's on the same talking point schedule

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The cognitive dissonance in this thread is incredible. The OP is right.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's simple; it's propaganda dressed up in a veneer of math. This claim has been circulating in right wing media for weeks to delegitimize Biden's victory or soothe themselves. OP picked it up and posted it here as an original analysis. I'll give OP the benefit of the doubt, and assume they heard this argument and are genuinely concerned about the disparity in the EC, as opposed to concern trolling.

For example, this 11/8 piece from the Federalist contains this argument exactly:

I certainly don't read the Federalist and didn't pick it up from right wing sources. I saw it posted here in another thread and hadn't thought of it that way before then. Maybe I can find the thread, but no one here had a problem when it was presented previously that I remember.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You make a lot of fair points, but how else do you propose dems win the Presidency + House + Senate at the same time? There's a chance in January, but after that, the road is pretty tough.
Well, funny enough, I do think that some of your ideas will help... long term. Like, re-empowering unions is both the right policy move and a very good way to create new organizing infrastructure for us. Taking on big tech can help combat the spread of misinformation and improve the public consciousness.

But mostly we have to focus on making government work again in the tiny windows we have power, and when we don't, we push the envelope as far as we can, as publicly as we can. We need make big, progressive changes that demonstrate to our base and anybody hanging on the sidelines that when the Republicans tell you that government is useless and both parties are the same, they're lying. We also need a new VRA, to combat Republican voter suppression efforts. Those two things are worth at least 5-10% of the WWC, and we don't have to tie ourselves in knots trying to appeal to them specifically, when so much of what makes that appeal work is the exclusionary nature of it. And hell, if it starts to peel off the WWC along the way? So much the better. Toss DC statehood on top and our odds of controlling all three branches goes up a lot.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
AZ and GA were comfortably red states. So Trumps path was keeping two states that hadn't gone Dem in decades and keeping one of the blue wall states. This path came down to around 45k votes. It was one of the few paths Trump had compared to Biden, but it wasn't far off from happening.

Yeah but they weren't.

Arizona and Georgia weren't any more comfortable red in 2020, than Michigan and Pennsylvania were comfortably blue in 2016. Even if the perception before the election is these are comfortably safe states, if you lose them, then they're not.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

Biden won Nebraska 2 by 7%, though. By about 11pm on election night we knew we couldn't have a 269/269 tie.

So, sure, if Biden doesn't win Wisconsin, if he doesn't win Georgia, if he doesn't win Arizona, if he doesn't win Nebraska 2, then it's a 269/269 tie and it gets thrown to the House Delegations, where Republicans held a +1 state delegate majority, and the House selects the guy who lost by about 6million votes.

It just seems like weird selection when we knew that if Biden could flip PA, MI, and WI back from red to blue, that he'd have 278 E.C. votes, and anything on top of that -- Nebraska 2, AZ, and GA, would be nice. To focus solely on AZ and Georgia in exchange of Michigan and PA (or that MN is a larger margin, or any other number of states), to draw up that 2020 is a closer election than 2016 seems spurious.

Last edited:

Cygnus X-1

Oct 28, 2017
So, basically, we are hostage of this Electoral College system.

I was reading a book that if civil disobedience exceeds a percentage of 2-3% of a population, change is inevitable.

So, we basically need 6-9M people in the streets and then we can throw this system away, right?

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Biden won Nebraska 2 by 7%, though. By about 11pm on election night we knew we couldn't have a 269/269 tie.

So, sure, if Biden doesn't win Wisconsin, if he doesn't win Georgia, if he doesn't win Arizona, if he doesn't win Nebraska 2, then it's a 269/269 tie and it gets thrown to the House Delegations, where Republicans held a +1 state delegate majority, and the House selects the guy who lost by about 6million votes.

It's a 269 tie with Biden winning Nebraska 2 actually (minus Wisconsin, Arizona, and Georgia for Biden). Recall that Trump won Maine 2 and offset the Nebraska win.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think the doom posting is far too premature when it is incredibly difficult and remarkable to unseat an incumbent. The EC absolutely has a strong bias to the GOP now, but claiming this election portends doom in the future is off base, I'd say.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017

It just seems like weird selection when we knew that if Biden could flip PA, MI, and WI back from red to blue, that he'd have 278 E.C. votes, and anything on top of that -- Nebraska 2, AZ, and GA, would be nice. To focus solely on AZ and Georgia in exchange of Michigan and PA (or that MN is a larger margin, or any other number of states), to draw up that 2020 is a closer election than 2016 seems spurious.

A 269-269 tie still would have happened with Biden winning NE-02 and losing the closest states of WI, AZ and GA. The reason why we "knew" it wouldn't happen on election night was because AZ (which ended up being the closest race by total # of votes) was called for Biden prematurely.

Again, Michigan and PA were not decisive states in this election. They swung back comfortably for Biden but Trump still would have won without them if not for Biden eking out wins in AZ and GA.

I think what people seem to be missing is that Biden needed ALL THREE of MI, WI and PA if he didn't flip any other Trump states. He ended up getting all three, but one of them (WI) was extremely close. If he had not managed to swing WI then his margin of victory in MI and PA would not have mattered as AZ or GA would have been the tipping point state..

Last edited:

flawfuls

Oct 28, 2017
c

Sorry dude its not propaganda its reality. Anyone with a grasp elementary school level math and an electoral college map would come to the same conclusion. Like seriously everyone in this thread please just go do that. The wilful ignorance is killing me.

red13th

Oct 25, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
A 269-269 tie still would have happened with Biden winning NE-02 and losing the closest states of WI, AZ and GA. The reason why we "knew" it wouldn't happen on election night was because AZ (which ended up being the closest race by total # of votes) was called for Biden prematurely.

Again, Michigan and PA were not decisive states in this election. They swung back comfortably for Biden but Trump still would have won without them if not for Biden eking out wins in AZ and GA.

Huh? He loses AZ and GA and wins WI, he still wins.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
luo691c069c31.jpg

NearingZero

Jul 1, 2020
Here's another way to look at it:

In 2016, Trump got to 259 electoral votes fairly comfortably. After that, he needed 11 to win outright (ignoring the possibility of faithless electors). For that, he ended up needing one of these:
  • PA - he won by 44k (0.7%)
  • WI + NE-2 - he won by a combined 29k (0.8% in WI)
  • MI - he won by 11k (0.2%)
So his least close but necessary win was PA by raw margin (44k) or WI+NE-2 by percentage (0.8%).

In 2020, Biden got to 269 electoral votes fairly comfortably. After that, he needed 1 to win outright. For that, he ended up needing one of these:
  • WI - he won by 21k (0.6%)
  • GA - he won by 13k (0.3%)
  • AZ - he won by 10k (0.3%)
So his least close but necessary win was WI (21k, 0.6%).

Biden's electoral college outright win was slightly closer by any metric, and his first "backup" win was closer as well. Given the popular vote totals in both election, that is certainly frustrating.

However, the fact that Biden made it to 269 fairly comfortably could also be important. Any change to the state allocations of House seats that nets one more in a safely Democratic state would put the "safe" Biden states at 270. A shift of 3 would mean the ME and NE split votes are no longer needed.

Anyone know the likely impact yet of the 2020 census on the House allocation?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
You need proportionate vote per state to not ignore the flyover states but still have everyone matter.

Oct 27, 2017

People need to learn their AND / OR rules lol

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
After reading this thread the last two pages made it very clear why the OP is wrong. There was mostly good follow-up discussion all around.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't think it's doomposting to say that the democrats need to really look into making Wisconsin a firm part of the blue wall and not one that could be a tossup. It's being realistic about elections moving forward.
Even if you say Biden won the electoral college by 250k votes instead of 40k votes, isn't that still a huge disparity from the 6 million popular votes he won? The point of the thread is not to diminish Biden's win or to act like him beating an incumbent wasn't a huge deal, it's to show that the electoral college is a big problem for Democrats going forward. Are the people upset that the thread title is allegedly "misleading" disproving that point?
Agreed with you both.
Except you're post isn't about just the EC being garbage it's about trying to pretend Biden under performed in 2020 compared to Trump in 2016.
I think you're just reading an intent that isn't there. It's not about intending to show Biden underperforming, or Biden's win being unimpressive, at all: it's about how, due to how the Electoral College works, the margins in swing states benefit Republicans more than Democrats, and how that might continue to be a serious problem going forward.

The OP's logic is sound, IMO, and it's not "doomposting" at all.

It's because you're assuming people are out to make it look "less impressive" rather than pointing out how the electoral college continues to fuck us. I don't give a damn about thumping my chest over a "landslide" or whatever. I do care that despite Biden winning by a historic number in the popular vote, we had to sweat out around 40k votes in three states to make sure his path to victory was secured.

Yes, exactly! That's a really good way to express it.

"It's all about Wisconsin", indeed. And considering Biden's margin there is razor-thin (20k votes... the Libertarian candidate got 38k, lmao), that means it is NOT a reliably blue state anymore, and we will still sweat bullets on November 2024.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
The EC has a fair amount of problems, but I'm not sure this is the best analysis on the topic. AZ, GA, and WI were brought as examples of how much Biden won by, but that seems uncharitable. He could've won if he won literally any of those three states in this scenario, but to lose all three was highly unlikely. The same winds that lifted Biden across the US lifted him in these states.

Compare Biden's MOV in other key states to 2016, and the story is much different.

EDIT: for example, since in this scenario he only needed to win one of those three states, I selected WI as the only one he won and said that the MOV in Wisconsin was the same nationwide. The margin was 0.7%. If you compare this on the whole vote, he won the popular vote by 1.1M, which is surely a lot more than the actual number he won WI by.

The first and second examples of why the EC sucks are 2000 and 2016, and literally nothing else needs to be said.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry dude its not propaganda its reality. Anyone with a grasp elementary school level math and an electoral college map would come to the same conclusion. Like seriously everyone in this thread please just go do that. The wilful ignorance is killing me.

So I'm no math wizard here but I have been pouring over E.C. maps obsessively for about 20 years, and this argument generally boils down to "Well, if you pretend that Biden didn't win Pennsylvania and Michigan, then this election is actually a tie," and it's like, oh, ok, but Biden did win Pennsylvania and Michigan, and by wider margins than Trump did in 2016... "Yeah but pretend that he didn't and it's a tie." Oh, ok.

It's like Biden is being punished by the conclusions in the OP for winning Georgia and Arizona. Georgia, a state that no Democrat has won since 1992 and that Clinton only won in 1992 because 13% of Republicans in Georgia voted for Ross Perot. And Arizona, a state that no Democrat has won since 1952. No, you don't get punished in the narrative game for narrowly winning states.

Nobody is going to look at the 2020 election and say that it was a historic blowout, even though Trump himself has said that 2016 was a historic blowout (an election that he won, incidentally, by exactly the same numbers he lost in 2020, and by some 3million more people who voted against him), but we all know that Trump is an idiot and no thinking humans think this was some historic landslide. But the general argument in the OP that keeps getting repeated is that if you take away states from Biden and pretend they're not important, and just focus on these historic flips that no Democrat has won since before color television, then the election is a tie, which Trump wins. And I don't really know where to go with that.

The accurate summation for 2020, relative to 2016 is, "This was a close election that turned on only a few hundred thousand votes, but a wider victory for Biden than 2016 was for Trump."

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Other countries have federal systems without being this fucked up about it...
Most are parliamentary federal systems where there is no separate election for president or the role of the president is ceremonial. The leader of the government is usually the prime minister which as I've explaiend above is based on a seat count allocated in such a way that, like electors, also benefit smaller states/provinces in the union.

In Canada there's even a strange arrangement where one province gets special treatment such that regardless of population changes they always get 25% of the seats. Imagine a US state getting that. All federal system have its quirks,

I do think assigning electors by popular vote split in each state instea of winner take all will solve the problem, but it will still occasionally produce a result where the party that gets the majority of the vote still lose. It happens in parliamentary systems too.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After reading this thread the last two pages made it very clear why the OP is wrong. There was mostly good follow-up discussion all around.
OP's point isn't wrong regardless of framing people want to argue about. The fact is, democratic voters are very poorly distributed wrt the electoral college. Of course, that really comes down to the fact that the more rural a state is, the more republican it is and we got a lot of empty land states. Or, really, our electoral system and the Senate are complete shit.