• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Yup.

It's not doom posting to be point out how close things were to a Trump path for victory, via electoral college.

They weren't close

He won back the States Trump flipped in 2016 by 3 times the number of votes.

And flipped 2 additional states

But somehow that's being presented as Biden doing worse than Trump in 2016 lol

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Electoral College sucks, but the Math here is incorrect. Biden Just needed to flip PA, MI, and WI to win (provided he held Clinton's states). He won those states by 256,413 votes. A much bigger margin than Trump's in 2016 which was close to 80,000.

Still it shows how broken the Electoral College is when it's somewhat close between two candidates, and the winner is ahead by over 6 million votes in the popular vote total.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Trump flipped 3 states to win

Biden flipped 5.

This focusing on Wisconsin is only because GA and AZ were not in play in 2016.

Hence Biden did better.

Actually, Trump flipped 6 states from 2012 (Iowa, Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) plus Maine 2. You shouldn't leave out the other states just because only 3 of them decided the election.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Well I think when you consider that Biden won the popular vote by 6 million and Trump lost it by 3 million, yet both ended up with the same number of electoral votes, it shows the huge advantage Republicans have in the electoral college. That's another way to phrase it. So if a mod wants to rephrase the thread title in that way and make it concise, I'm fine with it.

No one is defending the EC but it wasn't the EC that made the argument that Biden did worse in 2020 than Trump did in 2016 that's you lol.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
LOL I'm confused as fuck, too. I also suck at maths.

I guess I don't understand how/why those three states show his margin of "EC victory."

They represent the minimum number of votes that the losing candidate would have needed overcome in order to change the outcome of the election. A.K.A the "margin of victory".

Electoral College sucks, but the Math here is incorrect. Biden Just needed to flip PA, MI, and WI to win (provided he held Clinton's states). He won those states by 256,413 votes. A much bigger margin than Trump's in 2016 which was close to 80,000.

Still it shows how broken the Electoral College is when it's somewhat close between two candidates, and the winner is ahead by over 6 million votes in the popular vote total.
No, the math here is 100% correct. Biden won Arizona and Georgia by closer margins than Michigan and Pennsylvania, which makes them irrelevent to the conversation. Biden could have won Michigan and Pennsylvania by 10 million votes each and he still would have lost the election if he lost Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, Trump flipped 6 states from 2012 (Iowa, Ohio, Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) plus Maine 2. You shouldn't leave out the other states just because only 3 of them decided the election.

Fair enough forgot about those.

I'll just go back to the blue wall vs blue wall

Which is 3x in Biden's favour.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017

Biden flipped 5.

Hence Biden did better.

Trump flipped 6 states (PA + MI + WI + IA + OH + FL) to win, and their EC numbers were exactly the same.

I mean, sorta, but there's sort of a ??? factor there. WWC voters are inherently toxic to anything that does not advance their interests to the exclusion of other groups. Appealing strongly to WWC voters without simultaneously destroying our chances everywhere by screwing over everybody else seems like an unnecessarily tight tightrope to walk. Better to try and empower, organize, and improve our numbers with people who don't want to burn everything down.

- Push infrastructure, drug legalization, apprenticeship, and union bills
- Talk about border security in addition to protecting the immigrants currently living in America
- Be more critical of media / tech
- Don't advocate for gun control (the only gun control measures that actually work in reducing gun violence are extremely unpopular)

This should be enough to win back at least 5-10% of WWC voters, without sacrificing too much of the democratic agenda. They're still going to be very strongly republican, but margins matter. Joe Manchin managed to win in West Virginia despite Trump winning it by 40%. Jon Tester and Brown won in red states. It CAN be done. Tester and Brown are barely even any different from the average dem.

Oct 25, 2017
What

Trump's entire path to victory was the "Blue Wall"

But ok

Biden also won Pennsylvania by more votes than Trump won the "Blue Wall Combined"

Soooo

There.
Trump's path in 2016 wasn't the "blue wall" on the whole. He only needed one of the three. Clinton and to a lesser extent Biden needed the whole blue wall to win. That's why Michigan and Pennsylvania get treated differently.

Biden flipped 5.

Hence Biden did better.
Wisconsin is the focus because it's the tipping point state both years. That's it. You can gymnastics yourself with how many states candidates flipped from the previous cycle, etc. but Wisconsin decided the presidency both years and the margins were very similar.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton's nearest path to victory was around 75k votes in three highly contested states.

Trump's nearest path to victory was around 45k votes in three highly contested states.

Yes the Biden path most talked about leading up to the election was rebuilding the blue wall, and fortunately he did that. But that path was barely achieved with Wisconsin being closer than any of the polling suggested.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's path in 2016 wasn't the "blue wall" on the whole. He only needed one of the three. Clinton and to a lesser extent Biden needed the whole blue wall to win. That's why Michigan and Pennsylvania get treated differently.
Wisconsin is the focus because it's the tipping point state both years. That's it. You can gymnastics yourself with how many states candidates flipped from the previous cycle, etc. but Wisconsin decided the presidency both years and the margins were very similar.

This hyper desire to make Biden's win look not impressive is so bizarre

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just gonna get worse as long as liberals keep moving to the same 5 states. Unless Texas flips and Georgia and Arizona become reliably blue. Because my gut feeling based on nothing is that Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania are the brink of just being a full Ohio soon. Maybe not PA, but WI and MI are, imo, miracles for the Democrats this cycle.
Can't comment on the other two, but Wisconsin has been purple for ages. I remember my Civics teacher back in Junior High talking about how WI was unique in the sense that they always seem to be the guinea pigs for different political shifts (most recently in the bad direction, with the Right to Work stuff for example).

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Clinton's nearest path to victory was around 75k votes in three highly contested states.

Trump's nearest path to victory was around 45k votes in three highly contested states.

Yes the Biden path most talked about leading up to the election was rebuilding the blue wall, and fortunately he did that. But that path was barely achieved with Wisconsin being closer than any of the polling suggested.
Pretty much. The lede really is that Wisconsin is something the left really needs to figure out. To keep the full blue wall firmly blue. Not sure exactly what though.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
It's because you're assuming people are out to make it look "less impressive" rather than pointing out how the electoral college continues to fuck us. I don't give a damn about thumping my chest over a "landslide" or whatever. I do care that despite Biden winning by a historic number in the popular vote, we had to sweat out around 40k votes in three states to make sure his path to victory was secured.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the frustrating bit. Manchin is already on the fence about a lot of Democrat-led legislation, he'd have to somehow agree to make himself irrelevant to vote to allow DC/PR statehood.
Manchin talks out of both sides of his mouth:
1513302138824.jpg

What he says doesn't equal what he'd do. He generally backs dems when his vote actually matters, and he'll likely be able to justify new states if he gets some money for West Virginia out of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he'll be in the way for other things, but statehood seems more like something he could be bribed into.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

I already said his win was impressive. You have to go back decades to find other challengers who beat incumbents. But it was closer than it should have been considering Trump has 250k and counting deaths on his hands, and the electoral college disparity continues to grow for Democrats. Those are the real concerns.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
The electoral college is garbage. We shouldn't have a situation where a candidate can lose despite receiving millions more votes, as happened in 2016. Just because Biden won in 2020 doesn't mean the problem went away. He was within 100k votes of losing despite having an even larger lead in the popular vote.

Conservatives game the EC to "win" elections despite their unpopular policy positions. They can literally drag the majority of the country down with them because the founding fathers didn't like the idea of regular citizens actually deciding elections. We already fixed some of their other bad ideas (originally senators were appointed, not elected, and the Vice President was just the runner up from the presidential election), so we can fix the EC too. The hard part is getting smaller rural states to give up their unfair, unearned political influence.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Look

If Trump's states were AZ, GA and WI in 2016

No one talks about how close the election is ok.

The narrative entirely came out because it was narrow wins in the Blue Wall

That's the story of 2016.

Both Trump and Biden basically won Wisconsin by equal margins. So that's basically a wash.

Then Biden retoom the other two with relative ease and flipped two historically red states while facing the incumbent.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more just worried about the Senate. Dems should be okay for the presidency and house under the current strategy. Their current strategy is actually quite fine for the current House map, although redistricting could change things. But Dems need to win the Senate to deliver on a Medicare public option and higher taxes on the rich. These are policies I really, really want, but I absolutely can't get them unless democrats win the House + Senate + Presidency. So I just want dems to win control of all three so they can deliver on these policies. And I don't see how dems win the Senate unless they improve their numbers among WWC. I also want a lot of tech regulation, but I think there's still some small room for that in a divided congress.

Oct 25, 2017
Important to point out: Obama benefited from the electoral college in both of his elections if you take the tipping point state margin minus the popular vote margin. I think the EC is bad, but it hasn't proven to be bad quite yet because it fundamentally favors one party over another. It could end up that way in the next few decades, but it could also resolve itself once Trump is out of the picture.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know what you're talking about is why it's bizarre to you and you're not grasping what people are trying to communicate to you.

Because you're making Biden flipping two red states while reclaiming the blue Clinton fucked up in losing by a combined 3 times margin during an incumbent re election attempt out to be an underperformance.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Look

If Trump's states were AZ, GA and WI in 2016

No one talks about how close the election is ok.

The narrative entirely came out because it was narrow wins in the Blue Wall

That's the story of 2016.

Both Trump and Biden basically won Wisconsin by equal margins. So that's basically a wash.

Then Biden retoom the other two with relative ease and flipped two historically red states while facing the incumbent.
It's not a wash though. No one cares about the narrative. We all hate the EC, but it's never changing. So we have to play the game. Having Wisconsin possibly always being a toss up is a dangerous game to play when it's 1/3 of the fabled blue wall.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Biden won the popular vote by over 6 million and got 306 electoral votes to win the 2020 US Presidential election.

He also won against an incumbent, which is a rare feat.

I think we can stop right there, honestly. It was a decisive victory.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the common perception was that the election was a blowout. I think the perception was that it was too close considering how much Biden won by.

Oct 22, 2020
The system is working pretty much as it was designed to and would take an amendment to change anything. The pop vote is just a fantasy and I don't see the Interstate Compact surviving the inevitable challenges in court.
It absolutely is not.

The Electoral College was supposed to protect the country from a populist demagogue ascending to the presidency. It is now enabling it.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a wash though. No one cares about the narrative. We all hate the EC, but it's never changing. So we have to play the game. Having Wisconsin possibly always being a toss up is a dangerous game to play when it's 1/3 of the fabled blue wall.

We don't even know that it's a toss up.

I mean it could be a close blue moving forward along side AZ for all you know (GA will probably be a swing state now too)

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
No, the math here is 100% correct. Biden won Arizona and Georgia by closer margins than Michigan and Pennsylvania, which makes them irrelevent to the conversation. Biden could have won Michigan and Pennsylvania by 10 million votes each and he still would have lost the election if he lost Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia.
I think it's the other way around. Biden needed to get to 270 EV. Flipping Mi/PA/WI got him to 279. Everything past that point is extra, no matter how tight.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like selective math.

The states that you win that are the closest are as much of your electoral college victory as are the states you win by a landslide. The reason most people focused on Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin is that they were comfortably blue states in 2012, that all swung for Trump in 2016, and could be won back because of their slim margins. Biden won all three states in 2020 by a larger share than Trump won those 3 states in 2016, AND Biden flipped Arizona, Georgia, and NE-2, and increased the margin in some key states.

• Michigan:
    2016: Trump: ~10,000
    2020: Biden: ~150,000
  • Pennsylvania
    2016: Trump ~44,000
    2020: Biden ~80,000
  • Wisconsin
    2016 Trump: ~23,000
    2020 Biden: ~20,000
Biden won these three states by 240,000 votes in 2020. Pennsylvania and Michigan individually are more votes in 2020 than Trump in 2016 of all three of these states.

And then if you add in other flips between 2016 and 2020
  • Georgia
    2016: Trump ~210,000
    2020: Biden ~13,000
  • Arizona
    2016: Trump ~90,000
    2020: Biden ~11,000
There are very few states that Trump performed better in 2020 than in 2016, and very few consequential ones. For instance, Maine, New Hampshire, Minnesota, and Virginia were all closer in 2016 than they were in 2020. Maine was 3% for Clinton, New Hampshire 0.3% for Clinton, Virginia 5% for Clinton, Colorado 5% for Clinton, etc... In 2020, Maine 7%, New Hampshire 7%, Virginia 10%, Colorado 13% for Biden. Trump did better in Florida, 3% after narrowly winning by 1% in 2016. Many other swingier states moved back closer, Trump won Iowa by 10% in 2016, but just 8% in 2020, Ohio was about the same in both. Trump won North Carolina by 3.5% in 2016, barely 1.5% in 2020.

I have to look at the results in a table to compare the easily won states.

But, this just seems selectively choosing which states put you over 270. The most obvious states to look at are Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Michigan, as those three flipped the E.C. for Trump in 2016 and they were very narrow; adding Georgia and Arizona doesn't weaken Biden's victory, it makes it stronger.

Using the metric of "the 3 closest states" isn't a great metric for determining how close the election is. Obama in 2008 won North Carolina by just 13,500 votes, Indiana by 25,000, but his EC win was a landslide by modern standards, where this metric would make it look pretty close.

As votes are still being counted, final tallies arranged, it'll be good to look back at 2020 and 2016 and decide where work needs to be done. 3 weeks out, we know that Democrats need to make up losses in the Latino & Hispanic community at a faster pace than they gained votes from white suburbanites. Democrats didn't just lose Latinos in Florida and along the Texas border, but in weird places you wouldn't expect like in Lawrence Massachusetts, a city that votes overwhelmingly for Democrats, but the Latino community swung that about 5% to Trump in 2020 from 2016... The share was still overwhelmingly Democratic, nearly 50%+, but..... it's less than in 2016, and some early prognosticating seems to point at the precinct level about poor performance. Now, there's a question there ... Biden expanded Massachusetts by 5% from Clinton in 2016, so does it matter? Y'know, do you just ignore the areas you lost because you expanded more in other areas (in this cases, rural areas in central and Western MA and near the South Shore voted more for Biden than they did Clinton in 2016).

Last edited:

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
It absolutely is not.

The Electoral College was supposed to protect the country from a populist demagogue ascending to the presidency. It is now enabling it.
Very true. One of the reasons for the Electoral College (according to the Founders) was to have a way of stopping a dictator/King type coming into power. Instead, it enabled that type to win in 2016, and didn't stop him.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
In a federal system, the buy in is each state hold their elections and each election cycle is 50 separate elections.
Hot takes of going by national popular voting aside which is not going to happen, what can be done is to turn out more voters and appealing to more voters.

Everything else is just noise.

1). The EC is not somehow inherent to federalism. What a weird mixture of actual US-centrism and status quo bias.

2). "Hot take" is a bizarre term to use in this case, considering the EC was almost abolished decades ago.

3). It's not just noise to point out that the net effect of the EC, the Senate, gerrymandering, and voter suppression is to neutralize our politics. Twice in the 21st century alone we've had a discrepancy between the popular vote and the election winner, one of those times it was a difference of millions, and we just went through an election where everyone knew who most people would vote for but not who would actually win. We've hit a tipping point with the EC, partially thanks to things like geographic polarization, and speaking up about it is a necessity.

Important to point out: Obama benefited from the electoral college in both of his elections if you take the tipping point state margin minus the popular vote margin. I think the EC is bad, but it hasn't proven to be bad quite yet because it fundamentally favors one party over another. It could end up that way in the next few decades, but it could also resolve itself once Trump is out of the picture.

I don't think that's particularly important to point out, tbh. Yes, the EC has been biased toward different parties, but who cares? We're living through a period of time where it is just straight up incompatible with democracy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If the electoral college goes will there ever be a Republican president again?

Doubt it. Unless they stop running far right candidates like they always do. If Texas turns blue, then I doubt Republicans will have a shot to the electoral college either. But the problem is that while it's trending bluer each election, it's taking forever to actually win.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Democrats made a significant move to the right after the Reagan revolution of the 80's and they still can barely win presidential elections. The grim reality is that as long as the electoral college exists, true progressive platforms will be almost impossible to implement. The Democratic Party has a greater chance of moving to the right than the left.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like selective math.

The states that you win that are the closest are as much of your electoral college victory as are the states you win by a landslide. The reason most people focused on Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin is that they were comfortably blue states in 2012, that all swung for Trump in 2016, and could be won back because of their slim margins. Biden won all three states in 2020 by a larger share than Trump won those 3 states in 2016, AND Biden flipped Arizona, Georgia, and NE-2, and increased the margin in some key states.

AZ and GA were comfortably red states. So Trumps path was keeping two states that hadn't gone Dem in decades and keeping one of the blue wall states. This path came down to around 45k votes. It was one of the few paths Trump had compared to Biden, but it wasn't far off from happening.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think the extreme partisanship and gerrymandering are way bigger issues than the electoral college.

The electoral college itself is something I understand in theory. If each state has its own ecosystem, etc., then you'll want a President that appeals to all of that.

But the GOP has people convinced of straight lies, and the people they can't convince are disenfranchised. So what you end up with is this bullshit.

It's actually funny - I think people like to say "oh, obviously the system created by racist founders sucks" but so much of it makes sense if you imagine political parties never existed. And that people had an interest in letting every single person vote.

Oh well.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the other way around. Biden needed to get to 270 EV. Flipping Mi/PA/WI got him to 279. Everything past that point is extra, no matter how tight.

Why are you combining MI/PA/WI together like they're all one state? They're three separate states.

Biden gets ~21k fewer votes in Wisconsin, he loses the state. This brings him down to 296 electoral votes.
Biden gets ~13k fewer votes in Georgia, he loses the state. This brings him down to 280 votes.
Biden gets ~11k fewer votes in Arizona, he loses the state. This brings him down to 269 votes whereby he loses the electoral college.

It's really not that complicated. PA and Michigan don't matter at all in this scenario. They are exactly as relevant to this conversation as his margin of victory in California (i.e. not at all).

Oct 25, 2017
If the electoral college goes will there ever be a Republican president again?
Yes definitely. They are not just going to cede the presidency without pivoting to a winning strategy.
I don't think that's particularly important to point out, tbh. Yes, the EC has been biased toward different parties, but who cares? We're living through a period of time where it is just straight up incompatible with democracy.
But we're stuck with it, so it's an open question of how much it's going to fuck us or not.
Very true. One of the reasons for the Electoral College (according to the Founders) was to have a way of stopping a dictator/King type coming into power. Instead, it enabled that type to win in 2016, and didn't stop him.
1. It's my understanding it's overstated how much the EC was "designed" and was really more of a compromise among dudes that just wanted to go home and didn't have much brain function left to think about something that was going to easily make Washington president any way they slice it.
2. It was began without electors being selected via popular vote so it's not really the same as it first existed

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
They weren't close

He won back the States Trump flipped in 2016 by 3 times the number of votes.

And flipped 2 additional states

But somehow that's being presented as Biden doing worse than Trump in 2016 lol
yea im confused how did he win it by less votes trump got in 2016? I thought he won MI alone by more votes than trump won by in 2016?

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
- Push infrastructure, drug legalization, apprenticeship, and union bills
- Talk about border security in addition to protecting the immigrants currently living in America
- Be more critical of media / tech
- Don't advocate for gun control (the only gun control measures that actually work in reducing gun violence are extremely unpopular)

This should be enough to win back at least 5-10% of WWC voters, without sacrificing too much of the democratic agenda. They're still going to be very strongly republican, but margins matter. Joe Manchin managed to win in West Virginia despite Trump winning it by 40%. Jon Tester and Brown won in red states. It CAN be done. Tester and Brown are barely even any different from the average dem.
The appeal of those tactics is only decreasing as time goes on. They have tasted nectar with Trump, somebody who promises every policy they want and also confirms their fears and delusions as real. They do not seem super interested in going back to water. Machin and a few select others have a good personal brand with them, but I think that it's pretty clear that the culture war interests of the WWC have hugely outweighed all other considerations, and that the WAR part of culture war is only going to get more pronounced as time goes on. It's not enough to offer them something they need; they also want to know that other people are losing.

Like, breaking it down point by point:

-They don't care about infrastructure, not really
-Sure, we should be doing that anyway
-Unions are barely popular with union members at this point due to culture war stuff
-This was the status quo for ages and it sucked both as policy and as politics
-Sure, but they don't really care. This is just persecution complex stuff, it's not going to respond to rational "look we're on the same side of this" appeals.
-They're still going to think that you're taking their guns.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Why are you combining MI/PA/WI together like they're all one state? They're three separate states.

Biden gets ~21k fewer votes in Wisconsin, he loses the state. This brings him down to 296 electoral votes.
Biden gets ~13k fewer votes in Georgia, he loses the state. This brings him down to 280 votes.
Biden gets ~11k fewer votes in Arizona, he loses the state. This brings him down to 269 votes whereby he loses the electoral college.

It's really not that complicated. PA and Michigan don't matter at all in this scenario. They are exactly as relevant to this conversation as his margin of victory in California (i.e. not at all).
What are you talking about. If he loses PA trump gains 20 trump gains 20. This is selective math. If you are talking about margins, then trump won michigan by 10000 votes and now lost by more than 200000. Like i don't get what you are trying to say.

Like if he doesn't win he loses? Well duh.