• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Final Countdown

• Kamala Harris

Votes: 319 69.2%
  • Susan Rice

Votes: 26 5.6%
  • Elizabeth Warren

Votes: 88 19.1%
  • Gretchen Whitmer

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • Karen Bass

Votes: 11 2.4%

• Total voters

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
It seems to me Biden's head is with Harris and his heart is with Rice. He has a close bond with Rice and likes her the most, but on paper Harris makes a lot more sense politically.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Out of the candidates in the poll, personal preference:

Harris> Warren> Whitmer> Rice> Bass

Rice has never run for elected office before and is going to attacked for Benghazi daily and dear lord at Bass' Scientology praise. Pretty sure we knew Scientology was a cult in 2010. Warren is probably too old given Biden is the nominee but I think she'd be better on the ticket than Whitmer.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
If it were Warren, would Governor Charlie Baker (Republican) be responsible for filling her senate seat with a temp replacement until a special election?

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
POTY_small_GAINAGAIN.gif

Yes Gritty would be great as VP. I could see Trumpers and Democrats alike voting for the ticket with him in the #2 slot.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Place your bets: Which comes first, Biden's VP pick announcement, or PS5/XSX price and release date?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
We like Whitmer here, hoping he doesn't steal her from us. We need solid leadership right now in MI.

Not a lot of experience to bump her to president or even VP IMO. I don't think she's ready.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It's gonna be Witmer for the double whammy: First woman VP, Black Woman Governor. She's also a great politician and already survived Trump heads on ("That woman from Michigan").

I feel bad for Kamala but maybe she wants the job too much, and might be better for her to earn the presidency on her own merits later. She will. The Kamala/AOC ticket is inevitable and God knows many people would sacrifice themselves for it. It's just gonna happen if things go well.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Who is the black woman governor?
Whitmer's possible replacement, as in the article.

Edit: oh wait, Gilchrist is a man. My bad. Literally didn't know where I got that. Honestly hadn't known the name Garlin before. Heh.

Well still, a black governor in the battleground state of Michigan wouldn't be a bad idea at all in these times. It would be another sign of Biden "governing before he's even president" which is a facet people seem to enjoy about him.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Bass would be an awful choice; I didn't even know about the Scientology stuff until today. If the campaign picks her, then they have a lot of problems going on. The vetting process has already shown that she has too much baggage.

RussTC3

Banned
Nov 28, 2018
It won't be and never at any point was going to be Warren. Because she would be a horrendous pick. She can be a good asset within the administration but in terms of being front and center in any way, nah. She's not good at the President and VP game but that's ok because she can use her skills in other areas of government.

I like Whitmer, but I assume it will be Harris and I'll be fine with that.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
the legislative in MA can strip it from the governor, and has done it before.
It literally wouldn't matter anyway. There would be a special election and Dems are already down 3 seats in the Senate, so there's no real shift in power if Warren is temporarily replaced with a Republican. It may actually solve a problem—would allow Joe Kennedy and Markey to both be Senators from MA.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I haven't thought about Whitmer in a hot min

she was really early and aggressive with Covid, and that got the anti-quarantine anti-mask folks riled up

but now that Covid has been so fucking bumbled by Trump, she'd be a pretty strong pick on that base

might also help in the rust belt

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I fear that Joe is such a seat-of-the-pants dude that it's gonna be Rice. Don't fuck up a good thing, Joe. Pick Harris. Daggers.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
It seems to me Biden's head is with Harris and his heart is with Rice. He has a close bond with Rice and likes her the most, but on paper Harris makes a lot more sense politically.
I've been leaning towards Rice since early June simply because there's ZERO reason that her name would even still be coming up in this discussion if Biden wasn't pushing for her on some level. She'd have been long forgotten like Abrams.

That said, if he's been balking at Harris and this 11th hour surge for Whitmer gives him a better counter-option, I'll take it.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
People really still think it's gonna be Warren? Wouldn't sink the campaign, but bad choice
It's really not. Biden struggles primarily with 2 categories, younger voters and progressives. Warren does better with those groups than any of the other choices on the list. Additionally, Biden is under polling Clinton's numbers with Latino voters. Most Latino activists point to his weak numbers with young voters as being the source of this—saying often younger Latino voters get their parents involved and inform their choice in who to vote for, that's evidenced by how effective Sanders was at courting Latino voters in places like IA and NV.

Warren undeniably fills gaps in Biden's coalition which has been primarily black voters and suburban white voters. The argument is whether or not a Warren pick would lower enthusiasm among black voters that Biden needs, but the counter argument is that those are the voters that Biden already has. So it becomes an argument over whether picking a woman of color is necessary to ensure their support or whether they will still show up for him if he goes with someone like Warren that might lock down younger people (including younger people of color) and progressive voters that don't care for someone like Harris.

I don't think either pick hurts his chances, but they help in different ways.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rice sold her Netflix stock over the last couple of days. Could be a clue. She would be a horrible pick with Benghazi hanging over her head and her son being a Trumpet. Whitmer seems solid.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I like Whitmer, I think she'd be a good vice president, but I also think picking her would be a mistake. I've said this a million times in Poliera by now, but I don't think it looks good politically to pull a governor into a different job while they're in the middle of managing a state in crisis and I don't think serves the people in that state very well. I'm also wary of the fact that we just won that governorship, Whitmer's been on the job less than two years, and it just feels premature to give that up. She should do the governor stint for 8 years, then run for Senate or president.

I love Warren but Kamala continues to feel like the do least harm option to me. I don't get what's elevating Bass' name in the mix at all, and that was before the week of oppo that just went out on her. Susan Rice, too many unknowns -- in terms of domestic policy, campaigning, etc. She's too much of a mystery to be VP and maybe more importantly 2024 frontrunner. I want whoever succeeds Biden to at least have run a single campaign before! Oh, also Benghazi bullshit, which will probably be made to matter to some sliver of voters by a billion GOP ads. I'm sure they'll try to find some way to turn her MAGA troll son into an attack centerpiece, too.

Oct 26, 2017
It's really not. Biden struggles primarily with 2 categories, younger voters and progressives. Warren does better with those groups than any of the other choices on the list. Additionally, Biden is under polling Clinton's numbers with Latino voters. Most Latino activists point to his weak numbers with young voters as being the source of this—saying often younger Latino voters get their parents involved and inform their choice in who to vote for, that's evidenced by how effective Sanders was at courting Latino voters in places like IA and NV.

Warren undeniably fills gaps in Biden's coalition which has been primarily black voters and suburban white voters. The argument is whether or not a Warren pick would lower enthusiasm among black voters that Biden needs, but the counter argument is that those are the voters that Biden already has. So it becomes an argument over whether picking a woman of color is necessary to ensure their support or whether they will still show up for him if he goes with someone like Warren that might lock down younger people (including younger people of color) and progressive voters that don't care for someone like Harris.

I don't think either pick hurts his chances, but they help in different ways.
Warren's policy conflicts with Biden's policy. People don't want VP Warren, they want president Warren. Warren is also not a good campaigner, would fair well in a debate against Pence, and does not capture a reliable voter base. Harris is seen as a progressive figure too to many Americans outside of social circles like this forum and is much better in all necessary areas than Warren.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Yea that article is dripping with bias. Politico tends to be a bit right leaning but that article is pretty shitty even by their standards.

Warren's policy conflicts with Biden's policy. People don't want VP Warren, they want president Warren. Warren is also not a good campaigner, would fair well in a debate against Pence, and does not capture a reliable voter base. Harris is seen as a progressive figure too to many Americans outside of social circles like this forum and is much better in all necessary areas than Warren.
I mean, if we're going to include how they campaign in the mix, Harris is far worse than Warren. Warren stayed relevant through Super Tuesday and Harris was out in what, January? Warren's problem wasn't her campaign apparatus, it's that she was popular but people didn't want to take any chances and went for the safest option. Warren has continued to be a strong asset for Biden and is consistently one of his best fundraisers.

Warren absolutely does have a block of voters she appealed to. Even in newer polls where Harris has taken the lead for VP she still trails Warren with younger voters and younger people of color. Which is exactly why I pointed those groups out specifically. Kamala is a lot more progressive than she gets credit for, but progressive voters still consider Warren clearly more in line with their beliefs.

Last edited:

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. Whitmer didn't meet very long with Biden. Flight left MI and returned from NH in about 5 hours total. IMO MI needs Whitmer right now and it wouldnt be good to pull her from leading the state....Harris is still most likely pick IMO

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I would still love Warren, but Kamala would also be a great choice.

There would be no enthusiasm with Bass or Rice on the ticket. Just like the Tim Kaine pick.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
Electing the first woman and black woman to say the least, will bring enthusiasm, even if Bass and Rice are not as exciting as Kamala.

The scientology shit alone would cancel out a lot of the enthusiasm in Bass' case. Which is why it's absolutely ridiculous that she's one of the three frontrunners, when so many other better choices with less baggage are reportedly no longer even in consideration.

(Seriously, give me one good reason that Tammy Duckworth isn't still in the running. I guarantee that you won't be able to, because there ISN'T one. Especially not not if candidates with as much baggage as Bass are front runners.)

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
lol. Some ppl still think it'll be Warren. Gonna be some disappointed ppl here shortly.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
The scientology shit alone would cancel out a lot of the enthusiasm in Bass' case. Which is why it's absolutely ridiculous that she's one of the three frontrunners, when so many other better choices with less baggage are reportedly no longer even in consideration.

well that's how vetting works. though i don't know how "notorious" she was per the scientology stuff going into this