• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Ok?

They had the recession to cleanup the first two years and again, nobody pictured that voters would sit out both midterms despite still electing him President both times.

Nobody predicted the President's party would lose control during the mid terms despite it being an incredibly common occurrence in US politics?

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1. I have voted in every election (national, state, and local) since I was eligible to vote so stop with that "you must have never voted so let me sneer at you" attitude.

2. Yes, most people are too busy to do the research because we live in a shit economy where working two jobs is barely enough to live. So unfortunately you need people to do stuff to convince voters to vote for you.

3. I am not letting this go, I have repeatedly on this forum been accused of not doing enough with the assumption that I'm some lazy ass whiner who has never voted when I'm deeply involved in my local political scene so to see again and again people assuming i never vote then proceed to treat me like absolute shit for not doing something I'm heavily involved in is absolutely fucking tiring!
I wasn't specifically saying you hadn't voted, merely challenged your view that the responsibility falls squarely on the candidate to be "exciting" and not the populace to do their moral and civic duty and vote. Fucking get over yourself.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
So would you say he was too busy cleaning up the mess left for him during his first 2 years that by the time he got around to implementing the changes he wanted, the power had shifted away from him to make those changes?

Yeah basically.

So basically, he was a shortsighted imbecile?

If thats the way you want to describe not predicting that democrats would vote democratic in the Presidential elections but not vote at all during the midterms, sure.

ftfy pretty important distinction.

Banks, auto industry, tax rebates for the poor, billions in grants for small business etc. But sure. Somehow the country has progressed to record low unemployment since then.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Nobody predicted the President's party would lose control during the mid terms despite it being an incredibly common occurrence in US politics?

Bush and Clinton were able to make gains in the midterms. Its not as sure thing as you try to make it. Its especially odd for a President that is re-elected to a second term. If people would've simply showed up in the same numbers, he would have won easily.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."
I actually agree with this. That said, while I do think there needs to be ANOTHER party, I don't think it needs to be the Republican party. I just don't really think it's realistic to replace the Republican party, and I wish people who are okay with the Republican party being shit would maybe take the fact that the Republican party always essentially has a 50-50 shot at running things more seriously. People laughed Trump off, and he became President. He always had a 50-50 shot against Hillary, no matter what the polls said.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Young people can prove they're worth a damn by voting, and don't say they've never been catered to. They have.

It has historically always been true that young people don't fucking vote, and focusing on them at the expense of the older generation is a surefire way to lose.

We saw a good uptick in the midterms the problem is that efforts to suppress the youth vote are a thing, as is the fact that (aside from but not necessarily excluding targeted suppression efforts against minorities) general 'voter supression' techniques are also notably effective against students.

2018 voter turnout rose dramatically for groups favoring Democrats, census confirms (Youth, Latino, New Immigrants, White College Graduates)

The Student Vote Is Surging. So Are Efforts to Suppress It.
The share of college students casting ballots doubled from 2014 to 2018, a potential boon to Democrats. But in Texas and elsewhere, Republicans are erecting roadblocks to the polls.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Bush and Clinton were able to make gains in the midterms. Its not as sure thing as you try to make it. Its especially odd for a President that is re-elected to a second term. If people would've simply showed up in the same numbers, he would have won easily.

That there are exceptions doesn't make it incredibly uncommon. Midterm turnout is also incredibly commonly down from Presidential elections.

If the expectation of the Democrats 2008 onwards was that they would always hold every chamber of Congress, and counted on 2008 turnout levels in 2010, that is really short sighted.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking get over yourself.

I can't stand this! Again and again I'm insulted! Can you make an arguement without going into condescension! What the fuck did I do to you for you to go "Yes, this person deserves to be shat on! This person who has lost so much in the last month and has sucidal thoughts need to be pushed more!" What kind of joy are you getting out of treating me so shittily!?!

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly we don't need a Democratic party, cuz these fucking morons beat themselves...

They don't even need Repubs to run against them, they already cape for these fuckers every chance they get.

Meanwhile Repubs give Dems piss and shit to choke on. You'll never catch Repubs saying this shit about Dems.

Dems are fucking pussies to the highest order.

Nuke everybody. Nuke everything

Pretty much. Democrats. So afraid of losing they refuse to go big and possibly win big.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
No Republican politician (let alone a presidential contender) would ever ever ever EVER go out on a limb and say something like "We need the democrats."

So why do the democrats and Biden feel they have to?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Nice trotting out a disingenuous Republican talking point there, pal.

The National Review is a bad magazine (that's my bad for grabbing it as my link there, was the first result), but the statistic is correct.

Here's a better one. The current crop of democratic nominees has a lot of people with blood on their hands in the detention debacle. Why should I feel any obligation to push for Biden when he was Vice President when this article was written, and hasn't exactly made it a top talking point for his campaign? Why should I feel any love for Buttigieg, who worked at McKinsey, a consulting firm that helped shape Trump's version of these same horrible camps?

Democrats don't deserve your vote just for the (D) after their name when plenty of them are directly responsible for the thing you're holding against the person you quoted.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't specifically saying you hadn't voted, merely challenged your view that the responsibility falls squarely on the candidate to be "exciting" and not the populace to do their moral and civic duty and vote. Fucking get over yourself.

Let's be clear - this country makes it really challenging for young people to vote. It isn't just young voter apathy here. There's a concerted effort to make sure certain groups are kept down and not exercising their right to vote - and that's where the true battle lies. And this voter suppression starts way before we get into purging voter rolls and denying specific forms of ID.

So I agree that it doesn't fall squarely on a candidate to cater to them specifically, but the true problem isn't youth apathy. It's a smaller part of a very complex and terrifying whole that is way too often ignored and not challenged.
All so some people can get some digs on a subgroup that's demographically and significantly more poor, more made up of minorities, more urban focused, and thus always more likely to be deprived of their basic rights, like voting, with arcane laws and misinformation. We need to fight that battle.

lol why is he likely the dems primary

Because the USA is not a good country.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand this! Again and again I'm insulted! Can you make an arguement without going into condescension! What the fuck did I do to you for you to go "Yes, this person deserves to be shat on! This person who has lost so much in the last month and has sucidal thoughts need to be pushed more!" What kind of joy are you getting out of treating me so shittily!?!
Dude, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't insult you at *all* in the first post, I was speaking with the indefinite "you", and you exploded with rage that I would dare insult you? So you decided to talk to *me* like shit for no reason. If you want people to treat you better, I suggest starting with yourself. And seeing a therapist, honestly. You seem to have anger issues and it could help.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Man i expected the same lukewarm Biden defenses every time he says something shitty. That just par for the course. But the amount of water carrying for actual Republicans here is honestly kinda shocking. Republicans don't "want a democratic party" They fantasize about shooting democrats in the streets. And then have the gall to call everyone else privileged for saying maybe we shouldn't put up with this.

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018

it's just how democrats operate...or want to operate. just browbeat folks by pointing at the republicans.

no real need to engage folks. just vote for whoever we put up and shut up.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I imagine the next president, if they are Dem, are going to have to spend a decent amount of time fixing the mess Trump has left. I wonder how many will turn on them for not getting anything done as well.
Well last years midterms were the highest turnout in over 100 years. In the new 24 hour news cycle and with social media, I don't think turnout will be that big a problem going forward but I could be wrong.

That being said, if Trump loses, the next President will probably get even less done because its unlikely that Democrats gain the Senate. There will likely be alot of Executive Orders, that are reversing Trump's Executive Orders which mostly are just reversing Obama's. Its a see-saw of sorts.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be clear - this country makes it really challenging for young people to vote. It isn't just young voter apathy here. There's a concerted effort to make sure certain groups are kept down and not exercising their right to vote - and that's where the true battle lies. And this voter suppression starts way before we get into purging voter rolls and denying specific forms of ID.

So I agree that it doesn't fall squarely on a candidate to cater to them specifically, but the true problem isn't youth apathy. It's a smaller part of a very complex and terrifying whole that is way too often ignored and not challenged.
All so some people can get some digs on a subgroup that's demographically and significantly more poor, more made up of minorities, more urban focused, and thus always more likely to be deprived of their basic rights, like voting, with arcane laws and misinformation. We need to fight that battle.

Because the USA is not a good country.
I can agree with that, but it's an auxiliary issue to whether or not a *specific* candidate is exciting enough, it's a global issue with whomever they decide to vote for. And polls show that youth apathy is still a thing, regardless of specific barriers on voting day.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Two take aways 1. He's trying to get the Republican vote who doesn't want Trump 2. Without a republican party the democrat party would fracture.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I can agree with that, but it's an auxiliary issue to whether or not a *specific* candidate is exciting enough, it's a global issue with whomever they decide to vote for. And polls show that youth apathy is still a thing, regardless of specific barriers on voting day.

The election isn't tomorrow. We have a full year to weed out bad candidates. The responsibility is on the candidates to show why they deserve the nomination and votes right now.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
We need Republicans to do what? Block every single Supreme Court justice and federal judge nominated--over 100--until a Republican wins a presidential election thanks to the electoral college? Like they did when you were VP? We don't need a party that hates democracy itself. The Republican party has been sued dozens of times in North Carolina over their rigging of the electoral system including actual election fraud, they've purged voter rolls in Georgia, they've disenfranchised felons in Florida, they've gerrymandered themselves into power all over the country, they've tried to fuck up the census, they've stripped governorships of their power as soon as they're won by Democrats. This is just shit I know about from the last few years. Do we need a party that doesn't respect democracy itself? Start over. Try again with a new party.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, they're right. I do desrve to be sneered at. I tdo deserve to be mocked at. I'm useless. I deserve to lose my job. I deserve nothing but punishment because I'm shit because I have a different opinion on the internet. It's all my fault. I should just end it right now. It's clear that people here hate me for even existing. That I'm to shitty to even exist. Why bother fighting it anymore?

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, they're right. I do desrve to be sneered at. I tdo deserve to be mocked at. I'm useless. I deserve to lose my job. I deserve nothing but punishment because I'm shit because I have a different opinion on the internet. It's all my fault. I should just end it right now. It's clear that people here hate me for even existing. That I'm to shitty to even exist. Why bother fighting it anymore?
Please see a therapist ASAP. No one, including me, wants anything bad to happen to you. But you should get help if you're having these thoughts.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
That there are exceptions doesn't make it incredibly uncommon. Midterm turnout is also incredibly commonly down from Presidential elections.

If the expectation of the Democrats 2008 onwards was that they would always hold every chamber of Congress, and counted on 2008 turnout levels in 2010, that is really short sighted.
It may have been short sighted but his election didn't exactly represent the status quo.

Terra

May 15, 2019
Well last years midterms were the highest turnout in over 100 years. In the new 24 hour news cycle and with social media, I don't think turnout will be that big a problem going forward but I could be wrong.

That being said, if Trump loses, the next President will probably get even less done because its unlikely that Democrats gain the Senate. There will likely be alot of Executive Orders, that are reversing Trump's Executive Orders which mostly are just reversing Obama's. Its a see-saw of sorts.

Yeah, its kinda ironic all the centrist handwringing about we don't want the left to get too powerful when by the end of Trump's tenure the Republicans will probably have control of the judicial branch for most of our lifetimes, and with the way Demographics are trending will also likely have permenant control of the Senate very soon. There is a very good chance that without radical change soon, the Right will have a permanant anchor on getting anything done.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
I see this so often here and I just don't give a fuck. Like no kidding we don't match the electorate, an electorate that voted in Donald fucking Trump. Dubya to 2 terms, and fucking Reagan. An electorate that doesn't care about concentration camps on our goddamn border. An electorate that will stan for a multi-trillion dollar imperialist jaunt around the world over feeding and clothing its own people.

This country has been a pile of shit for my entire life. It's a racist, xenophobic, nationalist, and now very fast becoming fascist Kleptocracy. The fascist aren't going away because Ol Joe says so.

So, we're not just going to keep quiet because this country is full of deplorables, while my "allies" make every move to coddle these assholes as they're throwing bombs at their own base, particularly the younger gens, by straight out telling them "I don't give a shit about you and your problems". As a young black guy I'm used to it. That's the status quo.

Biden might win 2020, but sunshines and rainbows will not be the result. Naive idiots like Biden think of Donald Trump like some mothership that can be taken out and the GOP terrorism will just cease and desist. He and whoever else from the greater electorate that believes that tripe is a useful fucking idiot and it needs to be called out.
Fantastic post. Thanks for writing it.

It's incredible how evergreen this is becoming:

I think about this near daily. Dems like Biden should run as Republicans. Take over that party. Most of those voters will vote for anyone with an R by their name. And they'll even allow former Dems into the party, just look at Trump!

Imagine a presidential election where the choice is Biden vs Warren.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, its kinda ironic all the centrist handwringing about we don't want the left to get too powerful when by the end of Trump's tenure the Republicans will probably have control of the judicial branch for most of our lifetimes, and with the way Demographics are trending will also likely have permenant control of the Senate very soon. There is a very good chance that without radical change soon, the Right will have a permanant anchor on getting anything done.

I mean...not if we win this election. Which is why I'm okay with Joe just completely sucking independent ass right now. We can ensure a balanced supreme court for decades with this victory. Not sure what you mean by demographics--we're heading towards a majority minority country by 2050 at the current rate--and the largest growth among that block are Latinos, which split lately at about 70/30 in favor of dems atm.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic post. Thanks for writing it.

I think about this near daily. Dems like Biden should run as Republicans. Take over that party. Most of those voters will vote for anyone with an R by their name. And they'll even allow former Dems into the party, just look at Trump!

Actually that'd be rad. A Republican party that rallied around someone like Joe actually would be a fairly good counterpoint to more left Dems, as opposed to, you know, fascists.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
We need Republicans to do what? Block every single Supreme Court justice and federal judge nominated--over 100--until a Republican wins a presidential election thanks to the electoral college? Like they did when you were VP? We don't need a party that hates democracy itself. The Republican party has been sued dozens of times in North Carolina over their rigging of the electoral system including actual election fraud, they've purged voter rolls in Georgia, they've disenfranchised felons in Florida, they've gerrymandered themselves into power all over the country, they've tried to fuck up the census, they've stripped governorships of their power as soon as they're won by Democrats. This is just shit I know about from the last few years. Do we need a party that doesn't respect democracy itself? Start over. Try again with a new party.

To be totally honest, Democrats like Biden need the Republicans so that they can run on protecting you from them and all these things you list, even though their track record on that is pretty poor.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

this is the dumbest idea in the world and will get people killed. A Biden presidency would be terrible. Thankfully it would never work as this video and idea are more or less lunatic ravings

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
this is the dumbest idea in the world and will get people killed. A Biden presidency would be terrible. Thankfully it would never work as this video and idea are more or less lunatic ravings

Any reason you assume Warren would lose that match up? Who do you think would win Biden v Trump?

Also tbh I wanted to write Bernie because he's my preferred candidate (and I think he would destroy Biden in a matchup like that), but figured any left leaning Dem would do for the comparison 🤷‍♂️

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Any reason you assume Warren would lose that match up? Who do you think would win Biden v Trump?

Also tbh I wanted to write Bernie because he's my preferred candidate (and I think he would destroy Biden in a matchup like that), but figured any left leaning Dem would do for the comparison 🤷‍♂️

Here's the thing: assuming you can't possibly lose against a Republican candidate is what got us the 2016 election.

Biden v Trump would be a closer race than some people would like to believe and imo would quite likely result in a second Trump term. Young people especially will not vote for him, given his outright contempt for the issues that matter to most of them.

I don't really even feel like entertaining a Warren v Biden thought exercise because it's ludicrous to start with. Joe Biden isn't going to primary Trump as a Republican to win a game of 4D chess with the Republican party. It's a ridiculous idea. This is politics, not a heist movie.

Shaun Solo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing: assuming you can't possibly lose against a Republican candidate is what got us the 2016 election.

Biden v Trump would be a closer race than some people would like to believe and imo would quite likely result in a second Trump term. Young people especially will not vote for him, given his outright contempt for the issues that matter to most of them.

I don't really even feel like entertaining a Warren v Biden thought exercise because it's ludicrous to start with. Joe Biden isn't going to primary Trump as a Republican to win a game of 4D chess with the Republican party. It's a ridiculous idea. This is politics, not a heist movie.

I agree that Trump could beat Biden. I don't underestimate him. I think Bernie has the best shot at beating him, but it will still be difficult.

And I agree that my thought experiment will never happen. Because I think the conclusion you draw from it is if that happened, it would be much harder for Biden to win a national election against a democratic socialist than a racist fascist. I think politicians like him are aware of that and will never allow it. They prefer having the foe to their right politically and especially when it means winning easy votes by simply NOT being the worse choice (you know by not being explicitly racist / homophobic / sexist / etc). If both parties agreed on basic human rights and identity politics no longer were a thing that was fought over, the focus of elections might be placed on different issues than the current ones (like say, redistribution of wealth) and I think those terms favor those on the left over moderates.

All this to say that what Biden said here is strategic because yes, he wants to appeal to moderates, but also, he wants a strong republican party because that's who he wants his opponent to be.

Palantiri

Oct 25, 2017
If Biden wins the primary and aggressively courts the center then what happens when the Senate stays republican and the house either stays democrat or is split? Is Biden then just a less overt deplorable who just continues to give ground to the republican agenda?

Trump is not only disgusting, incompetent trash, but he has also consistently failed to push the agenda forward as fast as it could due to his need to take all the attention and credit. A conciliatory centrist with no real spine could be far better for republicans than another round of trump.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
On further reflection, Biden is right. It is good for a right-leaning party to exist. Otherwise the people might get too much of what they need, and that would of course be bad

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden sure loves Republicans.

If he wins, we'll be dealing with years of compromise where it'll look like he's "getting things done" while we don't get much of anything.

If he loses, well. Trump.

But it's fine either way, because at the end of the day, Joe Biden loves Republicans, and that's all that really matters.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's only one person that needs to follow that advice and it's YOU.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Watch. These types of comments by him are going to make people vote for Trump out of spite. He's fucking himself over courting over the Republicans.

If Biden's real only argument is "Trump is worse than I am, and you can continue being Republican, but please vote for me because reasons."

Seriously fuck off into the sun, Joe. lol

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Folks here probably won't like it, but it was a smart thing to say. Trying to bring over GOP voters who are disillusioned with Trump is important, rather than insulting them.

Era can't see the forest through the trees. He needs to start pandering to the right. There are plenty of Republicans disgusted by Trump that would vote Biden with some strong messaging. The left won't have a choice, it'll either be don't vote and support 4 more years of Trump or accept Biden. Easy decision.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Era can't see the forest through the trees. He needs to start pandering to the right. There are plenty of Republicans disgusted by Trump that would vote Biden with some strong messaging. The left won't have a choice, it'll either be don't vote and support 4 more years of Trump or accept Biden. Easy decision.
Bottom line is Biden needs to be unifier. Anyone running a campaign of Us vs Them is setting Trump up for a second term, IMO.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He can pander to the right without perpetuating bullshit.

I also like "the left won't have a choice". Not everyone votes for the Democrat no matter what, depressing turnout by saying dumb shit constantly isn't a good strategy and it's why Biden is a shit campaigner that's only finally doing well because he was VP to a much more competent and charismatic politician for 8 years.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The gutting of the voters rights act was a massive factor in hurting turnout (
If Biden wins the primary and aggressively courts the center then what happens when the Senate stays republican and the house either stays democrat or is split? Is Biden then just a less overt deplorable who just continues to give ground to the republican agenda?

Trump is not only disgusting, incompetent trash, but he has also consistently failed to push the agenda forward as fast as it could due to his need to take all the attention and credit. A conciliatory centrist with no real spine could be far better for republicans than another round of trump.

That is exactly what would happen.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Come on, what did you want him to say, " Fuck you republicans." I mean he is trying to get as many votes as possible