• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Why is nuance allowed in your position but not Biden's? Do you think he wants the republican party in it's current form to stay just as it is and that we need exactly that? He even said "a" republican pary.

Lol, tenuously? He's up convincingly right now.
Hey if you believe Biden isn't actually naive towards the current state of the Republican party, feel free to believe that. I wish I had your optimism but basically everything he's ever done in his political career points to my interpretation of his statements.

Furthermore, we both know voting democrats overwhelmingly in 2020 won't lead to a one party rule so let's not engage with that bullshit, eh?

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
this thread is demonstrating exactly why Biden's statements were stupid, so many of you are jumping from and giving the time of the day to the absolutely fucking remedial and insane idea that we go from Republicans losing an election to dystopian one party facism. Jesus Christ you guys are fucking...ugh so damn frustrating in your nonsense and utter batshit stupidity

It's the wackiest shit. Clearly Biden isn't the only one who hasn't learned shit this decade.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Why is nuance allowed in your position but not Biden's? Do you think he wants the republican party in it's current form to stay just as it is and that we need exactly that? He even said "a" republican pary.

Lol, tenuously? He's up convincingly right now.

His lead has shifted down considerably from when he announced, and he's on track to possibly lose four of the first five primary states, which undercuts his claim to electability and inevitability.

And, again, he doesn't have a majority, even if you think his voters are solidly in the bag for him.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
The argument is if you want to make anything better for the people who need it most you need to give a fuck. Being able to not give a fuck is a privileged position.

I'm not going to coddle racists, sorry. Selling your soul for the "possibility" of grabbing some racists vote is not worth it. That's not privilege, that's seeing beyond the trees.

Your way of thinking is what got us Donald Trump. And Biden's way of thinking will ensure we get another one when Repubs inevitably do what Repubs do and obstruct all progressive legislation and then Ol Joe decides to bargain with them again to get less than nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people called Hillary "Republican Lite?" I'd say that label applies more to Biden, except he might still get elected because he happens to have a penis.

ERA politics... a strange corner of the internet. You all are noticeably becoming Trump of the left. No mercy for anyone who strives for unity - if Obama ran during this climate, you all would rip his throat out.
Do you think Republicans desire unity? Do you?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is demonstrating exactly why Biden's statements were stupid, so many of you are jumping from and giving the time of the day to the absolutely fucking remedial and insane idea that we go from Republicans losing an election to dystopian one party facism. Jesus Christ you guys are fucking...ugh so damn frustrating in your nonsense and utter batshit stupidity
Most of the people saying it are the people who don't post about politics often. Bear that in mind. Unfortunately, what you're looking at is the logic of the average Biden voter that we rarely see on display here.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good strategy because the electorate is moderate. The benefit is not only attracting Obama Trump moderates but appealing more to other moderates with that kind of tone. Just because you personally don't like it doesn't mean it's not a smart strategy.

Is it trouble with reading, comprehension or both? Tray again and be less disingenuous about it.
At the same time the guy tells people who should be the Democratic base to vote Trump or that he doesn't want their vote. He's literally suppressing mobilization of the base and going "accross the isle" has diminished returns at this time when the country is most divided than in anyone's memory.

It's a strategy that can only backfire terribly. This is holding on to a ticking time bomb and calling it good strategy.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
I mean like one or two people have said that. The overreaction here is stupid. Biden's comments are expected and tame at best.

Oct 28, 2019
You're misinterpreting the problem with Biden's statement. The first part? Whatevs, other candidates have said similar things like. The second though? That's basically advocating for the pubs to keep on.

He's saying that he hopes the dems don't win so big that the republican party is crushed. Which basically means the pubs can continue trotting out the same shit because you win some lose some.

It doesn't, though. That's the problem. That's why they need to take such a hit that the only way to recover is to change. Of course Fox News existing won't allow that to happen.

You're continuing to act like people are advocating for a one party state. They are not. That is a strawman.

No one is saying every democrat is a saint by any single stretch of the imagination.
Your protecting your own personal feelings into his statement and not taking it at face value as if Biden is some kind of sleeper agent lying to you. You also refuse to see American politics outside of your own viewpoint. You have to understand there are people who disagree with you politically and it's not always being morally right or about corrupt politicians. There are people different from you living in this country, regardless of if they support the party you do, they deserve to be heard. That's what Biden is saying.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey if you believe Biden isn't actually naive towards the current state of the Republican party, feel free to believe that. I wish I had your optimism but basically everything he's ever done in his political career points to my interpretation of his statements.

Furthermore, we both know voting democrats overwhelmingly in 2020 won't lead to a one party rule so let's not engage with that bullshit, eh?

He didn't say it was likely or going to happen. He said he wouldn't like to see the republican party gone. He argues we need "a" opposing party in a democracy.

The thread is mostly about the second part about how the Republican party getting shellacked too badly in the elections would be bad because they're a good counterweight.

And about how appealing to any republican is dumb and the worst strategy ever and ugh I can't believe old decrepit dinosaur Biden is out there saying stuff again. See:

I'm not going to coddle racists, sorry. Selling your soul for the "possibility" of grabbing some racists vote is not worth it. That's not privilege, that's seeing beyond the trees.

Your way of thinking is what got us Donald Trump. And Biden's way of thinking will ensure we get another one when Repubs inevitably do what Repubs do and obstruct all progressive legislation and then Ol Joe decides to bargain with them again to get less than nothing.

Again this is just a "I can afford to wait even if you can't" fuck you I got mine strategy.

At the same time the guy tells people who should be the Democratic base to vote Trump or that he doesn't want their vote. He's literally suppressing mobilization of the base and going "accross the isle" has diminished returns at this time when the country is most divided than in anyone's memory.

It's a strategy that can only backfire terribly. This is holding on to a ticking time bomb and calling it good strategy.

His base are moderates. The democrat base are moderates.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Right now, at this moment in time and history, is totally the right point for democratic presidential candidates to be concerned about the future viability of the Republican Party.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Your protecting your own personal feelings into his statement and not taking it at face value as if Biden is some kind of sleeper agent lying to you. You also refuse to see American politics outside of your own viewpoint. You have to understand there are people who disagree with you politically and it's not always being morally right or about corrupt politicians. There are people different from you living in this country, regardless of if they support the party you do, they deserve to be heard. That's what Biden is saying.
Biden can say that without whitewashing the current Republican party and stoke the fearmongering flames of what would happen if they got crushed in 2020.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
ERA politics... a strange corner of the internet. You all are noticeably becoming Trump of the left. No mercy for anyone who strives for unity - if Obama ran during this climate, you all would rip his throat out.

Yeah it's bizarre people don't want to repeat Obama's failed strategy for dealing with Republicans. Trenchant analysis!

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people think Biden is inevitable when he has done nothing to clear the field, he's raising way less money despite taking money from rich people, and is in no way sweeping establishment endorsements. He is doing this while campaigning less with a weak ground game with weekly gaffes.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

On the contrary, ResetERA is one of the few self-identified left-leaning spaces I browse that still gives the time of day to politicians like Biden, Hillary and Obama.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
What is the point of having two parties if you never use it to punish them.

A Democratic Party that tells people to vote republican while the republicans are doing everything in their power to end the Democratic Party is what takes us to a one party system with republicans in charge.

2020 is a gerrymandering year. If republicans take over enough state legislatures you'll have one party rule on steroids.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He didn't say it was likely or going to happen. He said he wouldn't like to see the republican party gone. He argues we need "a" opposing party in a democracy.
Who is currently in power or running to become in a position of power that's saying we need a one party system? It's a bs strawman that ignores how our political system operates.

We do need the current Republican party gone by beating their elected officials and making them turn away from extreme right fascism.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Your protecting your own personal feelings into his statement and not taking it at face value as if Biden is some kind of sleeper agent lying to you. You also refuse to see American politics outside of your own viewpoint. You have to understand there are people who disagree with you politically and it's not always being morally right or about corrupt politicians.
I am taking it at face value. You're obviously projecting your own feelings on to me and seem to be ignoring what the elected republican party has become vote for vote in national politics. I am not stating the dems are shining paragons of virtue and you are continuously putting words in my mouth.

There are people different from you living in this country, regardless of if they support the party you do, they deserve to be heard. That's what Biden is saying.
Again, you're sticking to a strawman that I'm advocating for a one party state, I am not. Political parties have realignments when they lose elections bad. You should not reward bad behavior by reinforcing it. The U.S. is in absolutely no danger of becoming a one party state.

And about how appealing to any republican is dumb and the worst strategy ever and ugh I can't believe old decrepit dinosaur Biden is out there saying stuff again.
In the context of the second part I'm referring to, those posts are warranted.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
This forums is crazy, the overreaction is truly incredible, and quite franky unhealthy.

Nothing wrong or bad with what Biden said here.
Yes there is. The current state of our government is unsustainable. Staying the same is losing. We need a pull back left. Now is not the time for pulling punches only to wait for Republicans to own the government again and push us further to the right.

Oct 28, 2019
I am taking it at face value. You're obviously projecting your own feelings on to me and seem to be ignoring what the elected republican party has become vote for vote in national politics. I am not stating the dems are shining paragons of virtue and you are continuously putting words in my mouth.

Again, you're sticking to a strawman that I'm advocating for a one party state, I am not. Political parties have realignments when they lose elections bad. You should not reward bad behavior by reinforcing it.

In the context of the second part I'm referring to, those posts are warranted.
So what should he have said to encourage republican voters to consider him, while also messaging that he will be willing to compromise on republican values?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I'm convinced takes like these can only come from MSNBC and CNN fanatics. That's a much more obvious bubble. That there might be enough boomer cable news fans to win a plurality in the primary doesn't make them representative of anything at all.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
"It's not like there's going to be some great epiphany and people are going to wake up and go, 'oh my God, I'm now a Democrat.' And if you hear people on the rope line saying, 'I'm a Republican,' I say, 'Stay a Republican.' Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

He later added that he's concerned about what would happen if the Republican Party was totally "clobbered."

"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."

When you add in the first part of the quote you can see where he was going with that. It seems like hes just asking for people who arent going to budge when it comes to the party they support to still vote for him and giving them a reason why.

I don't really see anything wrong with what he said in context with the conversation being had. I dknt see him praising the party in any way. Hes just addressing people who are Republican to the bone.

Why would what he said here cause a Democrat not to vote for him?

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
You know Biden, why not have the conservatives create a different party after (if, hopefully) Trump loses? Why must it be only Democrats vs Republicans? It is that kind of shit why the US is fucked up.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who is currently in power or running to become in a position of power that's saying we need a one party system? It's a bs strawman that ignores how our political system operates.

We do need the current Republican party gone by beating their elected officials and making them turn away from extreme right fascism.

You're completely running away with what he actually said. He's just saying in response to the kinds of feelings shared here that a completely destroyed opposing party isn't good. It's not a response to what he thinks is actually a possibility.

The argument against what he's said has now shifted and changed and reduced as less and less real estate is available to it. That's not the hallmark of a good well reasoned position.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what should he have said to encourage republican voters to consider him, while also messaging that he will be willing to compromise on republican values?
Only the first part.

This:
"If you hear people on the rope line saying, 'I'm a Republican,' I say, 'Stay a Republican.' Vote for me but stay a Republican, because we need a Republican Party."

Is politicking.

This:
"I'm really worried that no party should have too much power," he said. "You need a countervailing force."
Is legitimizing the current elected Republican party because if they lose too badly the dems will rule forever when there's no fucking way that's even a possibility.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, let's go with this idea that Biden is courting the moderate Republicans. Ok, so let's see how successful that strategy is, right? Let's got to the most recent example of this: THE 2016 ELECTION

Chuck Schumer 2016 said:
"For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin."

Yeah, how well did that work out? Oh right, it didn't. But hey, maybe let's try the exact same strategy over and over again expecting a different result! Hm, that's sounds like a definition to something? What could it be?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
He could start by not peddling straight up right wing lies about what will happen if the Democrats trounce Republicans in 2020.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
You're completely running away with what he actually said. He's just saying in response to the kinds of feelings shared here that a completely destroyed opposing party isn't good. It's not a response to what he thinks is actually a possibility.

The argument against what he's said has now shifted and changed and reduced as less and less real estate is available to it. That's not the hallmark of a good well reasoned position.
It's literally just extracting what he's saying.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No it isn't. He even refers specifically to "a" republican party in his comments.

This is a bad argument. It's a "look at that bitch eating crackers" level bad argument.
Look, I call out bitch eating crackers level bad arguments against Biden pretty consistently. This isn't it. He's referring to the 2020 election and that his party shouldn't have too much power after it.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Look, I call out bitch eating crackers level bad arguments against Biden pretty consistently. This isn't it. He's referring to the 2020 election and that his party shouldn't have too much power after it.
Yep. Taking out the most basic level of implications that Biden himself is saying and arguing about why they're completely illogical and actually dangerous to peddle is now "bitch eating crackers" strawmen lol

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's literally just extracting what he's saying.

No it's not. It's extrapolating in a way lease favorable to him and most favorable to bitching about him.

Yeah after being destroyed. He's not saying the current party, otherwise why specifically say "a" republican party? Why ever make that distinction?

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Biden should just go ahead and switch party affiliations and try to primary Trump if that's how he feels. You know that's what he would honestly prefer.

He's just using the Democratic party as a springboard at this point, his policies are totally from the right.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
No it's not. It's extrapolating in a way lease favorable to him and most favorable to bitching about him.

Yeah after being destroyed. He's not saying the current party, otherwise why specifically say "a" republican party? Why ever make that distinction?
Your entire argument rests on the distinction between "a" and "the" when he's talking about the 2020 election in the first part of his argument.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Its crazy because I never ever see these kinds of takes in real life.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He's worried that they would get clobbered. This is splitting hairs for a defense. Even taking your point, the idea that it's even a possibility for our electoral system to turn to a one party dem state is laughable.

Biden should just go ahead and switch party affiliations and try to primary Trump if that's how he feels. You know that's what he would honestly prefer.

He's just using the Democratic party as a springboard at this point, his policies are totally from the right.

Yeah... No. His comments are shit and show his senility but definitely not. It's like you don't even understand what the Republican party is.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joe Biden probably won't raise your taxes. So that helps too?

Huh?

Your entire argument rests on the distinction between "a" and "the" when he's talking about the 2020 election in the first part of his argument.

He's worried that they would get clobbered. This is splitting hairs for a defense

"...because we need a Republican Party." That's what he said. What's the opposite of not having a republican party? It isn't a lost election. He doesn't want the entire party destroyed. He's not saying he doesn't want them to lose the election.

Look at that bitch eating crackers.

Oct 28, 2019
Only the first part.

This:

Is politicking.

This:

Is legitimizing the current elected Republican party because if they lose too badly the dems will rule forever when there's no fucking way that's even a possibility.
Nah I don't agree I still feel there is to much "reading between the lines' here that's not present in what the actual quote says. When people think they will be "destroyed" the fight. Biden doesn't need a fight he needs people to join him. Leftist candidates like Warren and Sanders scare people. Like Obama said, people don't want to tear down and start over, people want issues to be fixed. Biden is trying to appeal to those people. Appealing only to specific groups is how we got Trump in the first place. All those people in "flyover" country liberals tend to forget about matter in elections too.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Huh?

"...because we need a Republican Party." That's what he said. What's the opposite of not having a republican party? It isn't a lost election. He doesn't want the entire party destroyed. He's not saying he doesn't want them to lose the election.

Look at that bitch eating crackers.
Even that's wrong though! The Republican party getting clobbered doesn't lead to a one party system. The US isn't designed for a one party system! Either the Republican party would have to reform or there would be a different 2nd viable party that rises to power.

Even if you take his statements with the most generous interpretations possible he's still spouting bullshit.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Joe Biden and any centrist candidate until it is absolutely necessary to vote for one.

Everyone should continue to shit on them as long as the primary process is going on.

There are better candidates running who deserve to have their ideas win. I believe in them and many others do as well.

Means testing horse shit candidates who can only run because Daddy Warbucks hands then wads of cash have no place in the Democratic Party.

The world is changing. You may need to pay more taxes. You may need to have the same healthcare as poor people. You may have to send your bougie kids to the same public school as poor and working class people's children.

So be it. Stop being selfish and understand the urgency by which problems need to be solved and the power of mobilizing people against problems.

Moral change cannot happen with appeasement. If Republicans want to vote for a Democrat they can come along for the ride, but they aren't going to be at the wheel.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, good old known Republican values like civility and bipartisanship.
Democrats have old people too, you know.

Have any of you even talked to people over fifty?

My parents and anecdotally *all* of their liberal friends, can't stand insulting language or hyperpartisanship. They do not accept that all Republicans are bad people, and miss the "America of yore".

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Class enemies and fascists. We gain nothing by having them around. They will as a party literally hold up the entire functioning government in order to get their way, and I can think of no good reason for their continued existence.

Besides, as soon as their party dies, the centrist Dems will split off to become that opposition party anyway.