• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Look you guys, I don't like that he's campaigning for the republicans either, but whatever it takes to win. That's just good politics. Don't be naive"

Because he's doing damage to other down ballot races that are just as important and in which voters are notoriously fickle?
I'd say it's even more important. Democrats need to take back states

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It is smart because it helps him in both the GE and primary. Despite what you want to be true it's actually the case that most of the democratic party are not leftists that hate Biden or compromise or centrism.

But you don't think it's a good primary strategy, which should make you happy. But you're not. Because Joe Biden probably
Only leftists want less Republicans is an interesting take

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Does Biden not realize that the republican party has become hyperpartisan? Has he forgotten what the republicans did during the Obama administration?

Its almost like he's insinuating he could have done better than Obama did in those 8 years they were constantly obstructed by republicans at every single turn. Well Joe? Which is it? Was Obama incapable of doing what you think you are the man to somehow pull off? Or did you know something he didn't and just declined to inform Obama of your amazing strategy to beat McConnell through kindness and civility? Or is it that you think because you're white that the Republicans won't obstruct you as much? Whatever interpretation you choose, it's still a terrible look and not the type of person I want in the Oval Office. Please Joe, pack it in, go home.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
No what we need is a party that is far more progressive than our left. Let that replace the repub party

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need other parties. But you don't need one cool with racism and bigotry and doing its damnest to kill poor people.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
No what we need is a party that is far more progressive than our left. Let that replace the repub party

what? I hope what you're saying is we need to shatter the Republican coalition to allow the Dems to take up the conservative space and leftists to form a new party. Because the only way it works chronologically is if we crack the GOP before the Dems and the broader Left split into their respective parties. It won't work otherwise. Gotta crush the GOP base and turnout apparatus if you want to build leftist power in the US outside of the Dem Party Vehicle.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bad primary strategy because it won't work, in addition to doing damage to the rest of the down ballot races.

Why do you think it's a good strategy? Do you think he'll really be able to peel off some republicans in any meaningful numbers?

It's a good strategy because the electorate is moderate. The benefit is not only attracting Obama Trump moderates but appealing more to other moderates with that kind of tone. Just because you personally don't like it doesn't mean it's not a smart strategy.

Only leftists want less Republicans is an interesting take

Is it trouble with reading, comprehension or both? Tray again and be less disingenuous about it.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Really sick of Biden's shit.

If it weren't for the fact that people, including me, are even more sick of Trump's shit, this fucker wouldn't be close to being the frontrunner right now.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good strategy because the electorate is moderate. The benefit is not only attracting Obama Trump moderates but appealing more to other moderates with that kind of tone. Just because you personally don't like it doesn't mean it's not a smart strategy.

Is it trouble with reading, comprehension or both? Tray again and be less disingenuous about it.

He's literally telling people to comfortably vote Republican down ticket. You're claiming moderate Democrats will like that for some reason

Oct 28, 2019
Because one party getting clobbered for having a historically shit leader won't suddenly turn us into a dystopian single party nightmare. It's a fucking nonsense thing to say.

And it's goddamned stupid to basically encourage voting the opposing party downticket especially knowing that party will cripple you in office because that's exactly what they did last time.
A single party system would turn the United States into a dystopian nightmare. I encourage you to research the history of the democratic party during and after the Civil War. Just because one party says what you like now doesn't mean they always will. American politics is bigger than Trump and defeating him won't solve democracy. As if there are no corrupt democrats.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
If people here think the majority reaction in this thread matches or represents the feelings of any meaningful portion of the electorate they're insane. The disconnect is vast.

I see this so often here and I just don't give a fuck. Like no kidding we don't match the electorate, an electorate that voted in Donald fucking Trump. Dubya to 2 terms, and fucking Reagan. An electorate that doesn't care about concentration camps on our goddamn border. An electorate that will stan for a multi-trillion dollar imperialist jaunt around the world over feeding and clothing its own people.

This country has been a pile of shit for my entire life. It's a racist, xenophobic, nationalist, and now very fast becoming fascist Kleptocracy. The fascist aren't going away because Ol Joe says so.

So, we're not just going to keep quiet because this country is full of deplorables, while my "allies" make every move to coddle these assholes as they're throwing bombs at their own base, particularly the younger gens, by straight out telling them "I don't give a shit about you and your problems". As a young black guy I'm used to it. That's the status quo.

Biden might win 2020, but sunshines and rainbows will not be the result. Naive idiots like Biden think of Donald Trump like some mothership that can be taken out and the GOP terrorism will just cease and desist. He and whoever else from the greater electorate that believes that tripe is a useful fucking idiot and it needs to be called out.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
what? I hope what you're saying is we need to shatter the Republican coalition to allow the Dems to take up the conservative space and leftists to form a new party. Because the only way it works chronologically is if we crack the GOP before the Dems and the broader Left split into their respective parties. It won't work otherwise. Gotta crush the GOP base and turnout apparatus if you want to build leftist power in the US outside of the Dem Party Vehicle.
Yes! I worded it terribly, but exactly what you said.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want racist assholes in the Democratic Party either like they did in the past.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
THIS time Republicans will pick what's better for the country over their party right???
Yeah Trump is a white supremacist criminal in every sense of the word but all of the reps and senators refusing to take action against him are perfectly fine people!

Way to tell it like it ie Joe, thanks for your down ballot support to Democrats!

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's literally telling people to comfortably vote Republican down ticket. You're claiming moderate Democrats will like that for some reason

Because they will! Seeing someone who says "hey guys I know you're usually a republican or a republican leaning moderate, but we know we need this president gone" is appealing to much of the voters.

I see this so often here and I just don't give a fuck.

The argument is if you want to make anything better for the people who need it most you need to give a fuck. Being able to not give a fuck is a privileged position.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Because they will! Seeing someone who says "hey guys I know you're usually a republican or a republican leaning moderate, but we know we need this president gone" is appealing to much of the voters.
You can do that without whitewashing the rest of the party completely unprompted.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone stop talking about their childish fantasies about the electorate, and listen to my childish fantasies about the electorate

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Whitewashing? What? And the only people mad at this are statistically insignificant and not Biden primary voters anyway.
Saying we need the Republican party in its current form is whitewashing it.

Oh I'm glad that everyone mad at Republicans are stastically insignificant lol

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saying we need the Republican party in its current form is whitewashing it.

Oh I'm glad that everyone mad at Republicans are stastically insignificant lol

I didn't say that. Can any of you argue without strawmanning and being disingenuous? The people mad at Biden for saying this are not a large enough portion of the electorate and not Biden voters in the primary anyway.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I didn't say that. Can any of you argue without strawmanning and being disingenuous? The people mad at Biden for saying this are not a large enough portion of the electorate and not Biden voters in the primary anyway.
But Biden did, thus the whitewashing of the Republican party.

And I'm not sure what your strategy here is, it's ok if it appeals to only people that are already voting for Biden in the primaries? Seems like a pretty bad way to kneecap yourself in the general, especially when you're arguing voting Republican down ballot is ok instead of you know, making the argument for Democrats.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
A single party system would turn the United States into a dystopian nightmare. I encourage you to research the history of the democratic party during and after the Civil War. Just because one party says what you like now doesn't mean they always will. American politics is bigger than Trump and defeating him won't solve democracy. As if there are no corrupt democrats.
How the hell would Trump and republicans getting clobbered this election turn us into a single party system? Please explain how this scenario works in real life.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Biden did, thus the whitewashing of the Republican party.

And I'm not sure what your strategy here is, it's ok if it appeals to only people that are already voting for Biden in the primaries? Seems like a pretty bad way to kneecap yourself in the general, especially when you're arguing voting Republican down ballot is ok instead of you know, making the argument for Democrats.

Most of the democrats are currently going to vote for Biden in the primary. Some moderates are not voting Biden but going to Buttigiege or others. Most states don't allow Republicans to vote in democratic primaries so appealing to them only pays dividends with moderate democrats who find the strategy appealing in the primary and republicans in the general.

I'm curious why you simultaneously think appealing to republicans to vote for a democratic president is useless yet we should do so for the downballot races? Shouldn't we just be telling them to fuck off all the time in your view?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans getting the shit beat out of them would not turn us into a single party system. It would force Republicans to drop their schtick of saying government doesn't work and then making their #1 goal in office to make sure government doesn't work.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see this so often here and I just don't give a fuck. Like no kidding we don't match the electorate, an electorate that voted in Donald fucking Trump. Dubya to 2 terms, and fucking Reagan. An electorate that doesn't care about concentration camps on our goddamn border. An electorate that will stan for a multi-trillion dollar imperialist jaunt around the world over feeding and clothing its own people.

This country has been a pile of shit for my entire life. It's a racist, xenophobic, nationalist, and now very fast becoming fascist Kleptocracy. The fascist aren't going away because Ol Joe says so.

So, we're not just going to keep quiet because this country is full of deplorables, while my "allies" make every move to coddle these assholes as they're throwing bombs at their own base, particularly the younger gens, by straight out telling them "I don't give a shit about you and your problems". As a young black guy I'm used to it. That's the status quo.

Biden might win 2020, but sunshines and rainbows will not be the result. Naive idiots like Biden think of Donald Trump like some mothership that can be taken out and the GOP terrorism will just cease and desist. He and whoever else from the greater electorate that believes that tripe is a useful fucking idiot and it needs to be called out.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Most of the democrats are currently going to vote for Biden in the primary. Some moderates are not voting Biden but going to Buttigiege or others. Most states don't allow Republicans to vote in democratic primaries so appealing to them only pays dividends with moderate democrats who find the strategy appealing in the primary and republicans in the general.

I'm curious why you simultaneously think appealing to republicans to vote for a democratic president is useless yet we should do so for the downballot races? Shouldn't we just be telling them to fuck off all the time in your view?
You can do this, if a Republican has become so disaffected with their own party that they're willing to vote against a Republican president because of how bad they are - how about you point to how the Reps and Senators aren't actually taking any action against him? Point to how they're defending him at every single turn and don't care about the shitty things he's doing that are turning you away from tur party.

Rewind

Oct 27, 2017
It's a dumb thing to say because all he is going to do is suppress his base of voters. The only reason dems don't win every election is because voter turnout is small. there are so many more dems than Republicans in this country, and a ton of the Republicans we do have are populist that like left leaning economics but are right socially. Dems should be focused on turning out their base and disenfranchised voters, and stop helping the Republicans suppress the vote by compromising on every insane position the republicans hold. We don't need republican voters to win any of these elections, we would have much better results focusing on our own party.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can do this, if a Republican has become so disaffected with their own party that they're willing to vote against a Republican president because of how bad they are - how about you point to how the Reps and Senators aren't actually taking any action against him? Point to how they're defending him at every single turn and don't care about the shitty things he's doing that are turning you away from tur party.

Just to be clear, you'd be ok with Biden appealing to republicans? And all this "we need to destroy the republicans" thing is gone as long as he appeals to them in all races?

Occult Fan

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory Drive-By and Community Generalizations; Account in Junior Phase
ERA politics... a strange corner of the internet. You all are noticeably becoming Trump of the left. No mercy for anyone who strives for unity - if Obama ran during this climate, you all would rip his throat out.

Oct 28, 2019
Republicans getting the shit beat out of them would not turn us into a single party system. It would force Republicans to drop their schtick of saying government doesn't work and then making their #1 goal in office to make sure government doesn't work.
No one is saying Trump and the Gop shouldn't loose. They definitely need to reform their party, but the republican party is supposed to represent more than the corrupt politicians at the top. We still need those voices, even if we don't agree with them to be represented. The United States is a varied place and no political ideology represents everyone equally. It's a fallacy to think every republican is corrupt just like every democrat isn't a saint.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just to be clear, you'd be ok with Biden appealing to republicans? And all this "we need to destroy the republicans" thing is gone as long as he appeals to them in all races?
Of course I'd be ok to Biden appealing to Republicans. Appealing to Republican voters to point out how their party has betrayed them isn't the same thing as he's doing here though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
ERA politics... a strange corner of the internet. You all are noticeably becoming Trump of the left. No mercy for anyone who strives for unity - if Obama ran during this climate, you all would rip his throat out.
If we were Trumps of the left we would just call Obama the n-word

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Biden is tenuously holding on to a plurality, it's not at all true to say "most" Democrats are going to vote for him.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017

It helps that Obama is the reason many people realised this tactic doesn't work in the long run (and that was when the Republicans were less radical than now)

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of course I'd be ok to Biden appealing to Republicans. Appealing to Republican voters to point out how their party has betrayed them isn't the same thing as he's doing here though.

Why is nuance allowed in your position but not Biden's? Do you think he wants the republican party in it's current form to stay just as it is and that we need exactly that? He even said "a" republican pary.

Biden is tenuously holding on to a plurality, it's not at all true to say "most" Democrats are going to vote for him.

Lol, tenuously? He's up convincingly right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
this thread is demonstrating exactly why Biden's statements were stupid, so many of you are jumping from and giving the time of the day to the absolutely fucking remedial and insane idea that we go from Republicans losing an election to dystopian one party facism. Jesus Christ you guys are fucking...ugh so damn frustrating in your nonsense and utter batshit stupidity

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
no one party rule that's for sure.
Beating a party so badly they have to make the positions less neo-nazi-y isn't one party rule.

We would need to completely change the systems of elections and government to turn the US into a one party rule for any long amount of time, what Biden is implying is fearmongering bullshit.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're misinterpreting the problem with Biden's statement. The first part? Whatevs, other candidates have said similar things like. The second though? That's basically advocating for the pubs to keep on.
No one is saying Trump and the Gop shouldn't loose.
He's saying that he hopes the dems don't win so big that the republican party is crushed. Which basically means the pubs can continue trotting out the same shit because you win some lose some.

They definitely need to reform their party, but the republican party is supposed to represent more than the corrupt politicians at the top.
It doesn't, though. That's the problem. That's why they need to take such a hit that the only way to recover is to change. Of course Fox News existing won't allow that to happen.

We still need those voices, even if we don't agree with them to be represented. The United States is a varied place and no political ideology represents everyone equally.
You're continuing to act like people are advocating for a one party state. They are not. That is a strawman.

It's a fallacy to think every republican is corrupt just like every democrat isn't a saint.
No one is saying every democrat is a saint by any single stretch of the imagination.