• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Time to whip out this oldie:

ConcernedFrighteningBushbaby-small.gif

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Up 13 points is wild isn't it? Weren't all the Hillary leads in the 40s and like 2 - 4 points?
This is by memory so I could definitely be wrong, but I think her biggest lead was around the grabbing the pussy moment, and I think at that time she barely got to double digits. I don't think it was ever above 11%.

I think she lost what she gained with the Comey bullshit and it went back to the 4-6% range.

It will probably be similarly close this time. Trump will get enough to keep it within 5% of the swing states. It will come down to turnout.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Seems like there's a lot to lose and little to gain from him doing additional debates. Trumps behavior gives him a perfect out to bail.

Yeah, I just don't understand what purpose there is for him to do another two debates. He's got the perfect out too, 'Trump doesn't respect the rules of the debate, he doesn't attempt to answer the questions, there is clearly no point to the second debate. If Donald can show he can follow the rules, we'll talk about a third.' Boom, power play, controlling the conversation and tapping into popular opinion of how the debates went to get out of a potential bad showing at two more and then you can focus on campaigning, especially in key states.

But I'm sure he'll still do them anyway. Because why do something that makes sense.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Up 13 points is wild isn't it? Weren't all the Hillary leads in the 40s and like 2 - 4 points?
Yes. Biden's lead is notably larger than Clinton's because in addition to the raw value being at least as good and often way better, he is reliably above 50% with under 10% undecided voters (often 5% undecided or less). Clinton was regularly up 6-8 points, but she was also up 6-8 points with a value of 45-48% and 10-15% undecided voters.

Also, I should note, this isn't factoring in that polling methodology has changed. After 2016, pollsters re-weighted by education (specifically increasing the number of non-college educated white voters), which if we applied that weighting to 2016 results, explained the 2-4 points gain Trump made in several swing states. This has been done across almost all polls since 2016. So in addition to having higher raw values than Clinton, and a wider margin, Biden is also doing so with a polling system that is stacked against him. If this were 2016 weighted, Biden would be up reliably 11-15 points.

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017
Edit: also, Biden's election chances are an all time high on 538 at 80 percent. Trump has only a 19 percent chance at the moment.
Just to be clear, that's still roughly 1 in 5, which is a better chance than rolling a die and getting the number you want. It's still good news, but it doesn't mean he has no chance of winning. So yes - vote!

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He needs to be CRUSHED! Even if a fucking time traveler came back to tell me Biden doesn't need my vote to win I would still vote to bury Trump even further.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Seems like Trump's "brand" is completely collapsing. It's now associated with over the top batshit ridiculousness. Everyone is tired of his schtick at this point. People just want him gone.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yes. Biden's lead is notably larger than Clinton's because in addition to the raw value being at least as good and often way better, he is reliably above 50% with under 10% undecided voters (often 5% undecided or less). Clinton was regularly up 6-8 points, but she was also up 6-8 points with a value of 45-48% and 10-15% undecided voters.

Also, I should note, this isn't factoring in that polling methodology has changed. After 2016, pollsters re-weighted by education (specifically increasing the number of non-college educated white voters), which if we applied that weighting to 2016 results, explained the 2-4 points gain Trump made in several swing states. This has been done across almost all polls since 2016. So in addition to having higher raw values than Clinton, and a wider margin, Biden is also doing so with a polling system that is stacked against him. If this were 2016 weighted, Biden would be up reliably 11-15 points.

A lot of people don't realize this. You don't need to add 5 points to Trump in blue wall states, it's already been factored in.

Biden is going to win by a landslide.

Kcoe27400

Mar 14, 2018
Just to be clear, that's still roughly 1 in 5, which is a better chance than rolling a die and getting the number you want. It's still good news, but it doesn't mean he has no chance of winning. So yes - vote!
Those odds are also accounting for him tightening the race before the election. If it was held today his odds would drop to below 10%

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Agreed, and it's important to note that 538's model doesn't account for election interference, which Trump will try in some form. Luckily, if we beat him badly, it will be much harder for him to claim election fraud and take it to the Supreme Court. If the election is close enough like 2000, he just might steal it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

It's actually around 15%. In addition to education weighting to account for 2016, Nate has a "deluxe" formula and one of the things it does is assume that the race will tighten the further out it is from election day . You can see it as an option in the Senate forecast, but in the presidential it's baked in and not muteable.

If you look at the Trump victory maps left, they are increasingly outlandish. Like winning NH, Maine, Michigan, Arizona, and North Carolina is one of them. Yes, it is possible 1-2 of those will go red, but all of them? LOL

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
A lot of people don't realize this. You don't need to add 5 points to Trump in blue wall states, it's already been factored in.

Biden is going to win by a landslide.
Yes. This notion of Trump having an "electoral advantage" where we need to add 2-3+ points to his polling doesn't square with reality because pollsters already adjusted for that "advantage" from 2016--which was mostly that undecided voters took a chance on him and non-college educated whites were quite a bit more enthusiastic for him than anticipated.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too much to say that we might be looking at a Reagan-esque landslide for Biden here?

Deleted member 11175

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not to put a damper on the thread, but Change Research has had a high average error. FiveThirtyEight rates them as a C-. I would wait for more polls before making any conclusions.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too much to say that we might be looking at a Reagan-esque landslide for Biden here?

Probably so. Reagan's 1980 and 1984 campaigns were buoyed by two wildly different scenarios. This would be closer to 1980, except Trump is a much bigger piece of shit than Jimmy Carter ever, ever was, and things are more wildly polarized now. Biden's not going to get 400+ EVs, because there's no way he cracks open the deep Republican deathgrip on the Midwest and Southern states they routinely win, but 300+ would be likely with these numbers.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to see if there's some way to look at 538 and see exactly what Hillary's lead was state by state and nationally on 10/1. Is this possible?
RCP has historic graphs, even if their polling average is slightly Republican skewing by a point or two and noises in general. It is one of the better resources to keep from buying into a bunch of incorrect talking points that creep up about past elections.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Keep it up. You need to destroy this man Biden.

(Though anyone who thought Trump did good on the debate are the type of people who would get up in your face after telling them to put on a mask)

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
13 points? Jesus. That's quite a cushion should any nonsense befall his campaign between now and election day.

But again, it's all about the individual states. Hopefully the polls in the swing states mirror this swell in support.

Oct 25, 2017
So Biden has double the lead in the polls that Clinton had and she still won the popular vote. So polls weren't wrong overall. We just have to look at the 10% of the 50 states that actually decide the election.

There's like 10 legitimate swing states each cycle. There's always a handful of tipping point states, but there's really a whole bunch of states that could flip based on realistic outcomes. The maps where Trump barely wins the Popular Vote are wildly different than the one we're looking at now.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
But...but..but...THE SKY IF FALLING!!!

It's an easy comparison to make of an actual adult vs. a petulant man-child.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
im not a native speaker but uhh "i won the debate big" is not correct English right..? sounds so awkward to me.

i wonder if i speak/write better english as a hobby than the American President... i know how to spell Marine Corps at least.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31923

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Reagan won 49 states in 1984. That's not happening. However, look at the EC map Midnight Jon posted, 413 electoral votes with Biden winning Iowa, Texas, Georgia, and Ohio, plus all other swing states. That's his ceiling and the best possible night. Beyond that, it gets really tough, with states like Missouri, Alaska, South Carolina, etc. Just getting to that 413 would be a miracle and a historic beatdown in the post-partisan era, which Reagan was not part of.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE
VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE

FUCKING VOTE

XenodudeX

Oct 25, 2017
Jacksonville, Florida
This is by memory so I could definitely be wrong, but I think her biggest lead was around the grabbing the pussy moment, and I think at that time she barely got to double digits. I don't think it was ever above 11%.

I think she lost what she gained with the Comey bullshit and it went back to the 4-6% range.

It will probably be similarly close this time. Trump will get enough to keep it within 5% of the swing states. It will come down to turnout.
It's not going to be close.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also absolutely thrilled that no one trusts polls anymore. It's a complete lack of statistical understanding that leads to this distrust, but it's still *objectively good*, because that distrust means they're going to go vote no matter what.

Yay mathematical illiteracy?

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
But just 2% of respondents said the debate changed their vote, versus 98% who said it didn't.

If 75% of those 2% went from Trump to Biden, and 25% went from Biden to Trump, that's a +1% swing for Biden. That's actually pretty massive within the margins we're talking about to win this election.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also absolutely thrilled that no one trusts polls anymore. It's a complete lack of statistical understanding that leads to this distrust, but it's still *objectively good*, because that distrust means they're going to go vote no matter what.

Yay mathematical illiteracy?

That's optimistic. In yesterday's voting thread, somebody said "I live in Georgia, so voting will never matter", while Georgia is literally the closest state right now in polling averages. If they paid any attention at all, they should be energized that their vote could be monumentally important given the presidential race and the Senate race.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The only winners for this carnival are the networks
Not even them, if this turns out to be the only debate.

I've been trying to see if there's some way to look at 538 and see exactly what Hillary's lead was state by state and nationally on 10/1. Is this possible?
It's pretty easy on ElectoralVote:

Today: https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2020/Pres/Maps/Oct01.html
October 1st in 2016: https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2016/Pres/Maps/Oct01.html

Their polling methodology is really basic (it's just an average of the last few polls in each state, so for some states that's a bit iffy) but it's an easy way to compare situations. The key difference to note between the years is on the right hand side, showing how many states are polling strongly for each party. Biden's votes are, largely, safer than Clinton's were.

Status
Not open for further replies.