• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

U.S stocks fell to session lows in a swift fashion on Thursday after a report that President Joe Biden is slated to propose capital gains taxes for the rich.

The S&P 500erased earlier gains and fell 0.5%. The Dow Jones Industrial Average dipped 230 points to its low of the day, while the Nasdaq Composite traded 0.3% lower.

Bloomberg News reported Thursday afternoon that Biden is planning a capital gains tax hike to as high as 43.4%. The proposed increase would nearly double the current rate for wealthy Americans.

Assuming this NYT piece is right:

To offset that cost, Mr. Biden will propose several tax increases he included in his campaign's "Build Back Better" agenda. That starts with raising the top marginal income tax rate to 39.6 percent from 37 percent, the level it was cut to by President Donald J. Trump's tax overhaul in 2017. Mr. Biden would also raise taxes on capital gains — the proceeds of selling an asset like a stock or a boat — for people earning more than $1 million, effectively increasing the rate they pay on that income to 39.6 percent from 20 percent.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bring it. I'd also like to see some work done to reduce the bullshit massive companies do to skirt around income taxes.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do it. Exponentially-increasing wealth inequality is rampant and one major reason the world is going to shit.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a stock trading discord group and they are pissed heh

if I break into that tax bracket I don't care

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thumb_yes-ha-ha-ha-yes-sickos-me-39007124.png

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
probably should snap that inheritance tax back in too. doubling the capital gains tax is a decent start, especially as more "reglular" people participate in the stock market these days.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Attempted Thread Derail; Feel Free to Discuss Student Loan Debt Release in a Dedicated Topic
Nice, but forgive my student loans pls

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Oh boy can't wait to hear off those small business owners (people with OK money generally speaking) complain about their taxes going up.

Oh but they will gladly tell you how much they aren't paying in taxes on a daily basis!

Fuck them. I know it's not targeting them but some assholes out there definitely need a tax hike, don't care how wealthy you are. It's needed.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe instead of increasing taxes Biden should tell the fed to stop juicing the stock market to astronomical highs with taxpayer money

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Sounds like this would effectively be a new bracket just for capital gains. I've thought for a while that we need more brackets going higher up. I assume this counts for carried interest as well (I don't know how that loophole actually works).

Zoator

Oct 27, 2017
Need some more details here. From the bit in the article it sounds like this would effectively make the long term capital gains rate for high earners equivalent to the short term capital gains rate. That alone would be a pretty bad change if it's not also accompanied by a corresponding increase to the short term rate. Otherwise, it would completely disincentivized long term positions in stocks.

Also 20% to 39.6% is a pretty massive jump, and it will be interesting to see how they choose to handle it without triggering a massive sell off in the stock market (which would negatively impact anyone who holds stocks in retirement accounts for example, not just rich people).

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Bit more

www.bloomberg.com

Biden Eyeing Tax Rate as High as 43.4% in Next Economic Package

President Joe Biden will propose almost doubling the capital gains tax rate for wealthy individuals to 39.6% to help pay for a raft of social spending that addresses long-standing inequality, according to people familiar with the proposal.

President Joe Biden will propose almost doubling the capital gains tax rate for wealthy individuals to 39.6%, which, coupled with an existing surtax on investment income, means that federal tax rates for investors could be as high as 43.4%, according to people familiar with the proposal.

The plan would boost the capital gains rate to 39.6% for those earning $1 million or more, an increase from the current base rate of 20%, the people said on the condition of anonymity because the plan is not yet public. A 3.8% tax on investment income that funds Obamacare would be kept in place, pushing the tax rate on returns on financial assets higher than the top rate on wage and salary income, they said.
For $1 million earners in high-tax states, rates on capital gains could be above 50%. For New Yorkers, the combined state and federal capital gains rate could be as high as 52.22%. For Californians, it could be 56.7%.

Oct 27, 2017
Wealthy people aren't going to start selling off their stocks because of this. What else would they do with the money, put a billion in their savings account that's only FDIC insured to $250,000 and returns 0.1%?

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Oh boy can't wait to hear off those small business owners (people with OK money generally speaking) complain about their taxes going up.

Oh but they will gladly tell you how much they aren't paying in taxes on a daily basis!

Fuck them. I know it's not targeting them but some assholes out there definitely need a tax hike, don't care how wealthy you are. It's needed.

There's a series of tiktok videos on how small business owners gives you tips on all the tax loopholes they use that's very eye opening, some tips border on fraud or just straight up fraud.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need some more details here. From the bit in the article it sounds like this would effectively make the long term capital gains rate for high earners equivalent to the short term capital gains rate. That alone would be a pretty bad change if it's not also accompanied by a corresponding increase to the short term rate. Otherwise, it would completely disincentivized long term positions in stocks.

Also 20% to 39.6% is a pretty massive jump, and it will be interesting to see how they choose to handle it without triggering a massive sell off in the stock market (which would negatively impact anyone who holds stocks in retirement accounts for example, not just rich people).

It won't pass the Senate. They would also need to get rid of the SALT cap in the states where this matters most as well which would offset the gains.

You either get an increase on corp taxes or wealthy and not both.

Corp taxes has the highest likelihood. If you align ST and LT rates you have effectively removed all incentive to hold a stock for any period of time. The market volatility would be massive.

The biggest incentive to hold a stock for any period of time is the LT rate. By holding a year you effectively pay half the tax. This provides some stability. If a one day hold = one year+ hold there is no reason to hold a stock longer than a day.

This is likely a revenue neutral event and putting a massive disincentive to realize a gain (equalizing ST and LT rates) means less realizations.

It's a poorly thought out proposal that likely assumes historical gain realizations would be the same when in reality they won't be.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
Wealthy people aren't going to start selling off their stocks because of this. What else would they do with the money, put a billion in their savings account that's only FDIC insured to $250,000 and returns 0.1%?

if the long term cap gains tax doubles, wealthy people will definitely pull out their long term investments before that happens