• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Biden to ban Russian oil imports over Ukraine war

President Joe Biden has decided to ban Russian oil imports, toughening the toll on Russia's economy in retaliation for its invasion of Ukraine, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The move follows pleas by Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelenskyy to U.S. and Western officials to cut off the imports, which had been a glaring omission the massive sanctions put in place on Russia over the invasion. Energy exports have kept a steady influx of cash flowing to Russia despite otherwise severe restrictions on its financial sector.
The U.S. will be acting alone, but in close consultation with European allies, who are more dependent on Russian energy supplies. Natural gas from Russia accounts for one-third of Europe's consumption of the fossil fuel. The U.S. does not import Russian natural gas.
But the rules issued by the Treasury Department allow Russian energy transactions to keep going through non-sanctioned banks that are not based in the U.S. in an effort to minimize any disruptions to the global energy markets.
Before the invasion, Russian oil and gas made up more than a third of government revenues. Global energy prices have surged after the invasion and have continued to rise despite coordinated releases of strategic reserves, making Russian exports even more lucrative.
Biden specifically highlighted the Russian energy carve-outs as a virtue because they would help to protect U.S. families and businesses from higher prices.

"Our sanctions package we specifically designed to allow energy payments to continue," he said.

Restricting the world's largest exporter of natural gas and second-largest exporter of oil, after Saudi Arabia, could hurt the unity that U.S. officials say is key to confronting Putin.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling
Ridiculous, short-sighted, foolhardy. Really all that can be said about this. Inflation was running close to double digits BEFORE the invasion. Between this and the massive increase in other commodities (in particular wheat, of which Ukraine is a huge exporter) the price increases in basically everything are going through the roof.

I feel there is a complete lack of reality with this decision, how exactly do they expect to replace the lost supply?

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This is big, of course would be even bigger if Europe did it.

Ridiculous, short-sighted, foolhardy. Really all that can be said about this. Inflation was running close to double digits BEFORE the invasion. Between this and the massive increase in other commodities (in particular wheat, of which Ukraine is a huge exporter) the price increases in basically everything are going through the roof.

I feel there is a complete lack of reality with this decision, how exactly do they expect to replace the lost supply?

Maybe people dying in Ukraine is a bit more important?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Should we continue buying oil from them instead? Is that the better alternative? We should keep funding their invasion?

DC24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

*Sees thousands of civilians be brutally murdered

But how does this affect my wallet

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like there's a complete lack of empathy in your whining about gas prices.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017

We don't get much from Russia to begin with right?

But yeah, this will hit prices even harder. I wish they had (or will) announce some kind of news to help mitigate the damage at the same time.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It sucks. But people needlessly dying sucks even more.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Won't this be more symbolic than anything since the US imports so little from Russia? We need the EU to do the same for this to actually have teeth, yes?

Oct 29, 2017

What a heartless post.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

maybe the reality is that these sanctions are necessary because otherwise a certain dictator will keep on attacking sovereign countries and killing thousands of innocent civilians. Assuming that we can go back to some form of a pre-Covid situation is out of the question (for the short and mid-term)

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

You are rightfully going to get quoted a lot of this heartless, disgusting post.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The gas prices will still be cheaper than Ukranian blood.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I was out earlier and thought about topping off the gas. Prices will probably go up in the following hours now. Oof.

Feeling an alternate account here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
One issue is that this will absolutely help GOP at the polls. It doesn't matter if Republicans sign off on the measure. They will point to $5-$6 per gallon gas come November and blame it on Biden.

US should not have acted without EU taking the same action.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is what you call a privileged post folks. Don't be like this post. Also your username doesn't check out.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State

Ah, you're one of those people that already blamed Biden for gas prices I see.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia

These companies have reserves and AFAIK were still buying oil for the same price per barrel that they were prior to all this. The supply has been artificial for a while now, this isn't the way friend

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
One issue is that this will absolutely help GOP at the polls. It doesn't matter if Republicans sign off on the measure. They will point to $5-$6 per gallon gas come November and blame it on Biden.

Isn't the GOP calling for bans on Russian oil and drilling for it here at home though?

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
I think this move is more to pressure Europe. The US gets much of its imports from Canada and Mexico.

Of course, the oil companies won't care and will continue to increase gas prices because of greed.

Oct 27, 2017
Should we continue buying oil from them instead? Is that the better alternative? We should keep funding their invasion?
There needs to be some realism. Like it or not the world is dependent on oil, almost literally everything requires it in some form. You cannot just remove one of the biggest suppliers like this and not expect things to break horribly. Russia isn't going to stop the invasion based on this, all this does is plunge the globe into recession even faster than we were currently heading there.

Note - To be clear am strongly in favour of sanctions on Russia, and I'd be in favour of this decision also if it had been properly handled and supply had been sourced to blunt the impact (for instance if the Iran deal had been struck and fresh supply would be flowing from there). But doing it this quickly, with no plan, and with the justification that it's "the price for freedom" (which one US senator actually said) is folly and insulting to all those in the lower and middle classes who are getting fucked by inflationary pressures with no end whatsoever in sight.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
this feels like a pretty big move

It is not. Russian oil imports are only like 2% of US imports. This is largely symbolic.

The US is a major oil producer itself and gets most of the rest from Canada and Saudi Arabia. Russian oil is only used in niche circumstances. This will not impact gasoline prices at all.

This is big, of course would be even bigger if Europe did it.

If Europe did it, that would actually be big since Russia is their main supplier of natural gas. However, for the same reason it would be much more difficult for them to do it.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

We're talking to Venezuela.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The economic effects are going to be real, but there aren't easy decisions and you've gotta do what you can short of war.

Historically we've been more willing to send American soldiers to die before risking economic fallout of high prices due to diplomatic decisions, so I feel like our priorities are finally in the right place with this.

From what I understand we get about ~3-4% of our oil from Russian sources, but it accounts for like 15% of Russian oil exports or somewhere around there. I'll fix these numbers if they're wrong.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

The fact that posts like this exist shows that Biden will take a hit in the polls for gas prices. It's nice to know this man has some sense of what integrity is.

Jan 29, 2018
He's going to get hammered politically for high energy prices even without this move, so might as well hurt Russia's wallet a little at the same time.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It'll hurt my wallet for sure, but if it gets Putin to think twice about the crimes against humanity he's committing it's worth it

Oct 27, 2017

Maybe a week ago this may have been true. But with the sloppy handling of the nuclear power plant, and the increased indiscriminate targets of apartment buildings, escapees, and humanitarian aid lines, people are willing to eat the increased cost if it means helping and protecting Ukranians. This will become a more popular public opinion over time.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this will not only affect gas prices, oil is used in many manufacturing processes. I'd expect a lot of things to go up in price

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I feel like there's a complete lack of empathy in your whining about gas prices.

I feel that there's a complete lack of empathy on how rising gas and commodities prices affect those of us who make the least.

This is not to say that something shouldn't be done to help those in Ukraine. We absolutely should. I'm okay with this move. But I feel that Era tends to have higher earners that can absorb these costs when people I know will have to decide between meals and gas and struggle to make rent. For some people, it isn't "whining" but worrying about survival.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Post Count Shaming

308 posts

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Maybe a week ago this may have been true. But with the sloppy handling of the nuclear power plant, and the increased indiscriminate targets of apartment buildings, escapees, and humanitarian aid lines, people are willing to eat the increased cost if it means helping and protecting Ukranians. This will become a more popular public opinion over time.
People are willing to eat it now for a few weeks or couple months. I can't see it lasting enough till elections.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
If the WSJ podcast I listened to is right, it sounds like this will be more symbolic than anything as companies have already stopped importing Russian oil due to potential backlash and Russian oil was currently being sold at a large discount.

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022

Should request to change your name to Gas Prices > Human Lives

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

8% of U.S. imports of oil and refined products, or about 672,000 barrels a day, came from Russia last year
OP
OP
III-V

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
We don't get much from Russia to begin with right?

But yeah, this will hit prices even harder. I wish they had (or will) announce some kind of news to help mitigate the damage at the same time.

Won't this be more symbolic than anything since the US imports so little from Russia? We need the EU to do the same for this to actually have teeth, yes?
About 8% of U.S. imports of oil and refined products, or about 672,000 barrels a day, came from Russia last year, said Andy Lipow, president of Lipow Oil Associates LLC in Houston, citing figures from the Energy Information Administration
www.wsj.com

How Much Oil Does the U.S. Import From Russia and Why Did Biden Ban It?

Despite being the top global producer, the U.S. had used Russian crude to service more isolated coastal markets and keep refineries running at optimal levels.

If the U.S. exports millions of barrels a day from the Gulf Coast, why does it import Russia oil?
The Jones Act, passed a century ago, has effectively limited the size of vessels that are allowed to transport goods between U.S. ports. That has left oil buyers on the West Coast and East Coast effectively unable to get supplies shipped out of the Gulf Coast.

The Gulf Coast, where oil companies shipped out about 3 million barrels a day in December, is connected by pipelines to the Permian Basin of West Texas and New Mexico and Cushing, Okla., the nation's oil storage hub.

It isn't profitable for companies to ship oil from that region to the U.S. East and West Coasts by such small ships, so refiners along those coasts, lacking pipeline connections from the Permian and Cushing, mostly import it from overseas.

U.S. Imports from Russia of Crude Oil and Petroleum Products (Thousand Barrels)

240+ million barrels per year is significant.

Isn't the GOP calling for bans on Russian oil and drilling for it here at home though?
some are, yes

Last edited:

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I think it could go either way. Gas prices are now politically tied to support for Ukraine resistance over Russia, so that might actually make rising gas prices politically less toxic than usual. That's kind of a flimsy hypothesis, but I suppose it may be possible.