• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
What do you gain by being provocative in making the declaration before you even have an administration? Some extra kudos on the Internet?

They're going to do whatever minimal due diligence is necessary. They've got all kinds of security issues to look at, Trump loyalists to weed out and/or isolate, actual sensible chains of command and advice to re-impliment between agencies, etc. Shit, maybe they determine it's useful to leak him selective info and see where it goes.

Save your anger for something substantive, or if they ultimately decide he should continue getting briefings.

For clarity, I'm not even American, BTW. I have no anger in this, but more shock, appall and confusion on why eliminating a physical manifestion of absolute risk would require further delay, especially after the atrocity that said risk has casually caused on a whim. You cannot play politely with Trump, his base, or the GOP, knowing they will never do the same. You stamp it, burn it, at the most efficient pace.

One of my concerns with Biden is that while he will be night and day compared to the default horrible evil of Trump, he is likely more of a return to status quo(which given the consistent decline of American society before Trump just escalated it by a couple decades, is not something to be proud of by any means) President. But time will tell.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this would be yet another reason for impeachment or removal, right?

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Well prior to this shit-stain, it actually kind of made sense. Previous Presidents could give the current ones advice on how to navigate certain circumstances they might have previously dealt with. They could be trusted with this type of information and knew the responsibility it carried, for the good of the country.

Now though? Fuuuuuck no, this piece of human garbage should have absolutely no access to secrets after he leaves office. In fact, if it were possible, any state secrets and information he had that were integral to the safety of the country should memory erased out of him, Men in Black style; He's that selfish, dangerous, and untrustworthy to hold state secrets, especially knowing his narcissism and how he undoubtly sees himself as being "betrayed" by the people not being re-elected.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Please tell Trump then unban him from Twitter for what will be the greatest 5 minutes in American history

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every single reason basically doesn't apply to Trump.
  • The former President may have contacts the President wishes to use.
  • The former President may have expertise on a subject the President wants to know about.
  • The former President may have political clout that the President wishes to leverage.

All of this. It doesn't sounds crazy if you imagine a former President is not Trump.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Wait, do former presidents get let in on national security secrets once they're out of office?
What the FUCK is wrong with this country?

...Oh, right...
What reasoning for this practice? Is this some kind of law, why???

It's not a law, but in general makes sense.

The number of people who have held the job is very small, and they may have context that can help.

They don't get full access to all intel, but do typically get a summary of items.

Of course, this only works when you assume the former president puts country over personal profit.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
lol what in the hell would Biden need to consult Trump on? Maybe how to please daddy putin?

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
It seems like you guys have many practices that are gentlemen's agreements and are predicated on people in power not being total shitwards.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
This fuck face didn't do shit worth learning from or sharing with him about. Maybe asking him what he did with North Korea but even then it could probably be summarized in 5 minutes
Trump is such a petty, selfish little prick that he wouldn't share any kind of personal insight unless it was going to benefit him in some way. Possibly not at all in the case of the person who "stole" the election from him.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like you guys have many practices that are gentlemen's agreements and are predicated on people in power not being total shitwards.
Makes sense when you think of the fact the country was born out of Revolution by a people who strongly believed Revolution was the right of the people if the Government turned against them. Have to wonder how many of them considered the fact the Nation might go 2-300 years and the people would change and that revolutionary fervor would not be at the heart of the people anymore.

Then again people like Jefferson felt the Constitution was not a Monolithic Entity that should be worshipped for all time. He was strongly in favor of frequent updates to the new realities of civilization.

America honestly got led astray by people in power who led us to a version of America that many of the founders actually were not looking to

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
A two-time impeachment feels like the kind of thing that should disqualify him from accessing information like this. Otherwise what is the fucking point?

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Legit my reaction, why?

Pretty simple answer from this post
www.resetera.com

Biden to await advice on sharing secrets with Trump, as there is risk that former President becomes even more vulnerable to foreign influence News

Every single reason basically doesn't apply to Trump. The former President may have contacts the President wishes to use. The former President may have expertise on a subject the President wants to know about. The former President may have political clout that the President wishes to leverage.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you really can't imagine why it might be helpful to have a former president and his cabinet to be ready and willing to help on current issues on which they might have experience?

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Biden is probably just playing nice to the media but deep down already knows that the answer is fuck no to giving Trump access to intel.

Just making the break up as clean as possible to avoid Trump having another fit and fucking shit up even more.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Some of you really can't imagine why it might be helpful to have a former president and his cabinet to be ready and willing to help on current issues on which they might have experience?
Former presidents being consulted on sensitive intelligence issues every now and then does make sense, but I admit I had no idea they received regular intelligence briefings or anything like that.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Intelligence briefing to Obama, Bush, Clinton: complex detail on how Russia is doing something wrong and we know everything about it. This is how we will stop them.
Intelligence briefing to Trump: no, we didn't notice Russia doing anything wrong? Why? Do you know something?

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Just send him a picture of the 2020 electoral map and a red sharpie every week and let him relive his fantasy.

he doesn't read anyway.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If businesses are cutting ties with him, of course his only avenue for money is to sell intelligence. Could also be why his shitty fucking family is planning to have positions in congress.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
I say use Trump as bait for other countries. Don't give him classified info, give him FAKE classified info. Seriously, the guy has to be the worst secret keeper. Misinformation campaigns will be so much more successful if he's used well.

Seriously, I want this guy to be worth SOMETHING to us for all the crap we went through with him. Dangle him like a piece of meat!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
nice, so you get to know state secrets even if you are not the sitting president.

AMERICA, EXPLAIN WTF IS GOING ON WITH YOU???!!!!!

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think Biden will tell him shit, but good luck trying to stop all the info that Trump has been briefed on already, unchecked, from getting out there for years to come.
I think Trump's inability to remember shit will be the big limiter here. He can't give away secrets he can't remember. Plus whoever is debriefing him would have to figure out what's actually true and what's just fantasy that Trump has gaslit himself into believing.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
People be like "lets fucking not" but there only needs to be ONE Trumper in the higher ranks to make sure, Trump will get the information he needs. Just one who drank all the cool aid. We doomed, guys. I'm pretty sure there must be at least one rotten core of trumpsters in the big organizations.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I dunno. If you really want Putin to know something then telling Trump might actually work well. Pocket strat.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
nice, so you get to know state secrets even if you are not the sitting president.

AMERICA, EXPLAIN WTF IS GOING ON WITH YOU???!!!!!

Yes, and it normally makes a great deal of sense. The events that happen today don't happen in a vacuum, they are a continuous chain that stretches into the past. Past Presidents will have dealt with situations that the current President now has to wade into. Situations that their own administration has no experience with, or at least not the full experience with. That former President can be a valuable resource and in the past it was always standard procedure for former Presidents to make themselves available for this sort of thing. Even crossing party lines, that has never typically been an issue. Even Obama made a point of making himself available to Trump, though Trump reportedly had no interest.

And while what you want out of those Presidents is their knowledge of the past, situations aren't static. Things on the ground change quickly and having the current context of the situation can be vital to know what about the past is relevant to the current situation, what information can be useful. Events that might otherwise seem unimportant and not worth bringing up may take on a whole new importance with proper context. Considering how quickly events can happen, it makes sense for those former Presidents to not have to be brought up to speed every time you need their advice on a developing situation.

Of course none of that applies to Trump because he knows nothing, never understood the context of anything happening around him, can't be trusted with the secrets, and even if he somehow could likely wouldn't be willing to take the time out of his day to help anyone other than himself.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see why people are so appaled by this; it makes sense when the previous president isn't a moron, and it's at the discretion of the sitting president so it can be revoked at any time.

luminosity

Oct 30, 2017
None of the former presidents "need to know", for that matter.

I don't even know why that's a thing.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
don't fucking share shit with this dude. Especially a dude that was impeached twice. Especially a dude that already gives away intelligence in casual conversation.

Jan 11, 2018
Wow, as a US citizen I didn't even know this was a thing. Like, once you leave ANY job, what business do you have being privy to the goings on at that establishment?

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic considering Trump famously never read his daily briefings.

Can you imagine if he starts complaining about being denied access? Lol

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's not that weird. Normally they're former world leaders with a lot of influence, experience and worthwhile advice. Keeping them in the loop is, usually, a good idea.

There is no merit at all, however, in keeping Trump up to date. He is a massive security risk, for one, and I'm not actually sure how much work he even did as president. Kinda felt like he spent the last four years doing one of four things: watching Fox News, tweeting, playing golf or holding rallies.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Trump will absolutely sell secrets. He is completely untrustworthy.

He'll use anything he can get his hands on to gain money, influence and power.

He's been impeached TWICE already, and the first time was related to foreign collusion.

This is a no-brainer. He should NOT have classified intel access.

Oct 30, 2017
Give him fake info. He'll absolutely sell it/leak it.

Allow foreign powers to act on said fake info.

Secret service raid on Mar-a-Lago, Trump in chains for espionage. Destroy everything there is about this fucking clown.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Former presidents being consulted on sensitive intelligence issues every now and then does make sense, but I admit I had no idea they received regular intelligence briefings or anything like that.
I think the point, like with former head intelligence officials like Brennan keeping their security clearance, is that they should be up to speed all the time in case of a crisis.