• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of him but I'm glad he said this and this was a much better and appropriately fiery response than what he gave yesterday.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully something is actually done as punishment to the terrorists who did all of that yesterday. I do like that Biden is saying this, but hopefully in two weeks we actually start to see change in this aspect.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
He's right and it's good that he said it out loud to everyone.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Refreshing commentary. Yet, Trump told it like it is. Nope. He didn't. He utilized demagoguery every chance he got. Even told the Proud boys to "stand back and stand by." Was it for this moment?

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they're actually calling it out. Hopefully this is the kick to the ass that gets things going once Biden is in the president's seat, and that they do not forget everything that culminated to yesterday's coup attempt.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Glad he didn't mince words on this. This needs to be blasted as far and wide as possible. I hope yesterday was a wake up call to at least some people out there that think there isn't a difference in the law between whites and minorities. God yesterday was pathetic.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I mean he's right, but this isn't some profound statement either.

The real question is, are you going to hold those accountable responsible? That's the thing that never happens in these situations, we just pontificate about how things are so unjust and uneven...then not do anything.
House seargeant-at-arms resigned, Senate sergeant-at-arms either going to resign or be fired when Dems take over, Pelosi called for Capitol Police chief resignation... Yes, things are happening.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Even if what's in Biden's heart hasn't changed since the 90s (I think it has), it's great to hear this kind of thing said aloud by the next President. This and the way he gives a shout out to Native American tribes suggests to me at the least that he has inclusive speech writers.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Glad the president himself pointed this out, it's obvious, but still needed to be fucking said

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Genuinely surprised he actually said it and didn't just tiptoe around it. Good job, Biden.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Yeah, even my parents who are more moderate and tended to be a bit more on the sides of the cops during the BLM protests (mostly just playing devil's advocate and trying to see their side of things) were calling out the disparity of treatment between the BLM and Trump cultist riots. Everyone noticed, and skeptics are starting to realize that the minorities actually are being oppressed by the police for their skin color instead of their actions.

I have a strong hopeful feeling that defund the police movements will start to gain a lot more traction after what happened yesterday, and it's good to see Biden straight up say what everyone was thinking. Let's hope that his actions and the actions of the democratic congress will allow for change, even if I have my doubts that will actually happen

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
House seargeant-at-arms resigned, Senate sergeant-at-arms either going to resign or be fired when Dems take over, Pelosi called for Capitol Police chief resignation... Yes, things are happening.

Granted, I had to stop watching around 8pm last night because I was getting too mad, but the only thing I saw last night was the police lying about the efforts made to keep those people out of the capitol building. I want action beyond people dropping out of the system so they can go somewhere else "without a stain of shame" on their resumes.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Text:

"He unleashed an all-out assault on the institutions of our Democracy from the outset, and yesterday was the culmination of that unrelenting attack," said Biden, who then unleashed an all-out assault on Trump's tenure, outlining four years of examples of Trump's attempts to undermine institutions.
Then Biden said that his granddaughter Finnegan sent him a picture Wednesday showing scores of law enforcement officials lined up on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial during the Black Lives Matter protest last summer — a stark contrast with the smaller, less armored law enforcement presence than the one that confronted what Biden called "a riotous mob" and "domestic terrorists" at the Capitol Wednesday. Biden said Finnegan told him the difference "wasn't fair," and he agreed.
"You can't tell me that if it had been a group of Black Lives Matter protesting yesterday they wouldn't have been treated very differently than the mob of thugs that stormed the Capitol," Biden said, before beginning to hammer his fist against the lectern.
"We all know that is true. And it is totally unacceptable. Totally unacceptable. The American people saw it in plain view."

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I mean he's right, but this isn't some profound statement either.

The real question is, are you going to hold those accountable responsible? That's the thing that never happens in these situations, we just pontificate about how things are so unjust and uneven...then not do anything.

It is profound hearing it from someone who is just about to be president, after running on a campaign of reaching across the aisle to heal divides. Obama never brought up the systemic racism in American policing while president, as far as I know. And Clinton straight up empowered police forces from what I understand.

In a country where half the population insists that BLM is a terrorist organisation and have to create conspiracies and lies about how the terrorists yesterday were antifa secret agents intending to make Trump look bad, even after Trump sympathised with them and told them he loved them, it is a profound statement. It's a rejection of white supremacy, of claims that they were peaceful patriots and a warning shot at republicans that they can't keep provoking those kinds of scenes.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It's not much but after some of the dumpster fire takes from certain pundits this is good to say.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Great to hear from the president-elect. Obvious or not, it needed to be said.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yep. But it's good US next president is willing to say it, unlike Trump who would say just about everything to deny/make it worse

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Imagine the spear-carrying shirtless Viking man were black.

or the guy stealing the podium...

or the dude sitting in Pelosi's office...

None of them would have made it so far. But the reaction of the Trump sympathizers would've been vastly different.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
I was not, at all, expecting him to call out the hypocrisy in action, and it is the first sign of hope I have seen from Government that they are finally listening to us.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its important that leadership be willing to say these things openly. It may be a case of stating the obvious or common sense but those aren't things a very large portion of this country have a grip on.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Needed to be said flat out, unavoidably for the nation to hear.

Stating the obvious has been SORELY missing for the last 4 years.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad we've gotten to the point that a mainstream white male politician can just say that without mealymouthing around it. Good for Biden for saying this, but also this is a testament to how far BLM has managed to shift the discourse on police brutality over the last few years. The bump in support from George Floyd's murder may have mostly dissipated but they're still dragging the country forward inch by painful inch.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
The words of a president, as we've come to learn these past days especially, have meaning.

Good on Joe for saying what we all know to be true!

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
it's true

that being said i want the white people treatment

Biden's first executive order is to grant all people legal whiteness.

have our standards fallen so low that this is worthy of applause? this shouldnt even be the bare minimum that we should expect

However you want to rank it, nearly no major national mainstream political figure has ever reached it. Should a student not celebrate raising their grade from an F to a D-?