• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020

Felt like this was worthy of it's own thread.

If you don't think this is coming fast, especially after the Capitol siege, you're about to be pleasantly surprised.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to think of the dumbest arguments against DC statehood.

Can we go dumber than 51 stars will make the flag look weird?

OP
OP

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Trying to think of the dumbest arguments against DC statehood.

Can we go dumber than 51 stars will make the flag look weird?

Dem's claim to want to reduce emissions, but think about all of the C02 emitted to reprint all the flags! Hypocrites!

OP
OP

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
How likely is this to happen?

I think it's extremely likely. The voting rights act is their first wave to plow through and force the filibuster to get nerfed. Then the'll add DC statehood. That effectively wrecked the GOP senate stranglehold and positions Dems well for the future.

So what are the benefits of doing this? (I'm mostly a politics newb)

2 more senators (almost certainly Democrats). DC has independence to make calls like the national guard without an idiot president interfering.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's extremely likely. The voting rights act is their first wave to plow through and force the filibuster to get nerfed. Then the'll add DC statehood. That effectively wrecked the GOP senate stranglehold and positions Dems well for the future.
GOP will really have to reinvent their platform and run on actual ideas now.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Add 5 states so we get to 55.

3JRgIEuBawVkKzcDzeJKWMnI_2Z22AZKhIdviP06QWU.png

52 also wouldn't be terrible

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
DC statehood would essentially add 2 Dems to the senate, that way people can stop saying Manchin will be the limiting factor in getting any legislation done.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So what are the benefits of doing this? (I'm mostly a politics newb)
Well it benefits the people of DC the most since currently jurisdiction is a fucking nightmare. Then there's just having two more senators that actually represent a large number of people as opposed to the multiple state senators that represent fewer citizens.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
if pushed through quickly, does it happen right then as well? like do they immediately have like a special senate election, or have wait til Nov to add them for 2022?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
wouldn't be surprised to see this reach the senate by the beginning of February

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have they figured out what to do about the land? Wasn't it technically still owned by Virginia and Maryland? I've seen the argument that if you reduce the size of the federally controlled parts, the land would just revert back to the original states.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks the Dems won't push for this. Hopefully they do it just makes sense.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Probably ends up in front of the Supreme Court even if the Dems get it through right?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The capitol insurrection actually provides perfect context for DC statehood, as well. I think the iron is quickly cooling on that, but all you need for justification is national security justification.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I look forward to it happening and the pocket industry of making 50 star flags for those who just won't accept 51, as well as the inevitable speeches in Congress that will surely say something along the lines of 50 being far more pleasant to look at on a flag.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
With the Capitol insurrection, DC statehood is pretty much a slamdunk. Dems can argue that statehood is a national security issue.