• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
"You know, if there's any angels in heaven, they're male and female nurses. And they're not getting paid enough."

I don't see what's confusing about this, aside from the inelegant phrasing.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Well this thread is proving right off the bat half of humanity are brain dead. This wasn't remotely hard to understand.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's a really old fashioned thing to say.

But, I mean, Biden's old.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
Lmaooo. This is what I was talking about in the Sanders heart attack thread. Folks are getting ridiculous. There is nothing crazy here.

Deleted member 36557

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Am I supposed to be offended by that or something? Some of you guys are way too much.
Go outside and get some fresh air.

OP
OP
FaceHugger

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What's the point of this thread then?

I suppose re-read the OP? It's about why a campaign would publish such an inelegant, rambling video to Twitter? Something that people not familiar with caregivers would be confused about.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it couldn't be made any more clear to you.

Dead Man

Nov 1, 2017
Jesus. If you need numerous inspiring speeches that speak to your personal situation in order to vote against Trump, you are part of the problem.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not confusing but that doesn't mean it's a good statement either. He simultaneously says something both weirdly redundant and exclusionary.

For one, yes Biden we are all aware that nurses aren't all wome. Second, by specifying men and women you exclude all non-binary people.

He may as well have said "Male and female humans are nice."

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'll call my grandson later so he can teach me how to "click like" on this electronical newsletter.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
It's not confusing but that doesn't mean it's a good statement either. He simultaneously says something both weirdly redundant and exclusionary.

For one, yes Biden we are all aware that nurses aren't all wome. Second, by specifying men and women you exclude all non-binary people.

He may as well have said "Male and female humans are nice."
This is true. But I think we can allow a little room for criticizing language while allowing a good faith reading of the intent of the speaker.

I mean, this is an old fashioned manner of speaking and complimenting a profession. Yes, the language specifically is a bit exclusionary. I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing that out.

But does anybody think a 76 year old man was thinking that hard about it?

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
fucking hell era

the guy has had an ocean of tragedy in his personal life. Spent weeks of time with family members in hospitals.

this fucking place sometimes

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Biden praised some nurses?! That asshole!
I might as well vote for Trump now. Like I'm going to award my vote to someone who appreciates nurses...

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird phrasing, but honestly it's pretty normal for old white men to imply that non-binary people are going to hell

Deleted member 9972

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The statement is fine

I feel like this community needs to take a week-long break from itself and just walk outside for a little bit.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For some people to constantly question Biden's mental health, the fact some of those same people here are confused by his statement is kinda funny. This is a very straight-forward, boilerplate campaign statement for any group of workers. There is absolutely nothing confusing about it.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
Thread of people confused by a weird, poorly worded statement.

Also thread of people CONFUSED BY HOW CAN YOU BE CONFUSED TAKE A BREAK FROM RESETERA JESUS CHRIST IM VOTING FOR TRUMP NOW

like, what?

Oct 25, 2017
Does god turn certain people into angels when they get to heaven? I thought angels were a separate species altogether, not like something a person could actually aspire to.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a compliment to nurses to me . Why is this outrageous?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
"male and female nurses"

like... what? as opposed to dog and cat nurses? ... I doubt it's a trans exclusion thing.
maybe old people are weird.

Also, i'm not too familiar with Christianity, but do dead humans turn into angels? or are these nurses divine beings that didn't come from earth

If anything, I'd say it's too make sure that male nurses are included in the sentiment. Many people view nursing as a profession for women.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
If people here find issue with THIS, they're going to be in full blown meltdown mode when he inevitably wins the primary.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It seems like he was trying to be inclusive by including male nurses but in mentioning gender at all he made it sound exclusionary. He always sounds like he's just coming to terms with 1980's progressive thought.
Yep

Meant to compliment nurses and point out that male nurses are a thing and ends up coming off as dated

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true. But I think we can allow a little room for criticizing language while allowing a good faith reading of the intent of the speaker.

I mean, this is an old fashioned manner of speaking and complimenting a profession. Yes, the language specifically is a bit exclusionary. I don't think there's anything wrong in pointing that out.

But does anybody think a 76 year old man was thinking that hard about it?

they are thinking too hard about it

I mean, hypothetical but equal back-forth, IF a prez candidate said:

"I'd like to thank the men and women of the armed forces"
or
"the best people we have are the women and men working as first responders in disaster areas"

an your reaction was

"fuck this non incluside garbage boomer"

then you need to take a fucking walk, a long, long walk, imo

add on the fact that the guy has lost most of his immediate family to car crashes and brain cancer... yeah some of us detect an empathy problem in here

edit: clarity

Status
Not open for further replies.