• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
https://www.axios.com/2020-presiden...-vp-54472f8f-5bb2-4d1f-bc7c-0544a09ebba5.html

Close advisers to former Vice President Joe Biden are debating the idea of packaging his presidential campaign announcement with a pledge to choose Stacey Abrams as his vice president.

Why it matters: The popular Georgia Democrat, who at age 45 is 31 years younger than Biden, would bring diversity and excitement to the ticket — showing voters, in the words of a close source, that Biden "isn't just another old white guy."

But the decision poses considerable risk, and some advisers are flatly opposed. Some have pointed out that in a Democratic debate, he could be asked why no one on the stage would be a worthy running mate.

Advisers also know that the move would be perceived as a gimmick.

Biden's position on the issue couldn't be learned — we were just told about the advisers' debate.

Biden has discussed selecting a running mate early, a move that one senior Democrat said could hurt him by feeding "an air of inevitability," CNN reported.

Biden's office declined to comment.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not so sure on announcing it so early, but you have to admit, that could shape up to be one really tough ticket to beat.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Abrams is great, but Democrats need people to run for Senate in some of these red states.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm. I'm still not sure I'm sold on the benefits of announcing a running mate early. It really limits your options. Still, I can see why Biden's team may feel the need. The Democratic party has changed so much, and they need something to prove that he represents more than just the past of the party. It's certainly an interesting gambit.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Wish he could have ran in the last election.

He seems a little too old to be running for president next year. Abrams is amazing and I hope we would be very lucky to have her as the VP of our country. Though VP seems like a bit of a waste for someone as gifted as she is. I would rather she was in Congress or the Senate and telling it like it is.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How much juice does a Vice President have? This is a tempting offer, as Joe was a no for me before hand.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't like him, but I love Stacey T_T
How much juice does a Vice President have? This is a tempting offer, as Joe was a no for me before hand.

This is why he's weighing just outright picking her as VP right now and skipping the selection stuff

That's a REALLY hard ticket to beat because it's kind of a four quadrant one, it covers most of the demographics and they both know it

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Probably smart, it'll allow Biden to use her as a shield to deflect from how fucking terrible he is.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
The one good thing about biden winning is that he can hit the ground running. He can go in day one with a good staff and undo all the things Trump did swiftly and get things back on track. The bad thing is I don't think "back on track" or same old policies of Obama will work anymore, people want someone with more courage to implement a leftist agenda.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It would require Beto and Harris to team up to beat them... And I'm okay with that.

Abrams would make a Biden presidency more palatable to me, to be sure... But I think we need to move on from the Bidens of the Democratic party. Of course, I'll vote for whomever comes out of the primaries but I would rather see Beto and Harris (in any order).

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Kind of ruins Abrams' star if she agrees to be on the ticket with someone as shitty as Biden, especially if she's just there to defang the very legit criticisms against his bad record on race.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I like it. I'm not huge on Biden himself, but declaring this ticket early could really work to his benefit and change the nature of the primaries.

Not much direct power, but it does mean that Abrams would be President if anything happened to Biden and she'd have his ear on basically any topic she wanted.

Dick Cheney was the exception as far as VPs go, and that's unlikely to happen again. He still didn't have any real power, but he was able to exert his will pretty freely on Bush.

Kind of ruins Abrams' star if she agrees to be on the ticket with someone as shitty as Biden, especially if she's just there to defang the very legit criticisms against his bad record on race.

I don't think it hurts Abrams at all. Biden, for all his issues, still gets a lot of respect and a crappy record on race *is* defanged a lot by picking her. He's not making her a token Ambassador (or *cough* head of HUD), he's picking her as frickin' VP.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So President Abrams, then. I know Bernie is technically older than Biden, but Bernie just seems more spry and full of energy. I worry that Biden's best days are behind him.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that's a powerful ticket. I'm really hoping Warren comes out on top and that her and Bernie encourage more progressive policies.

Regardless, I'm voting D down the ballot.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Reminder that Biden might be the outright worst dem candidate to run in the primary

Eh. Depends on who you ask.

He seems to obliterate Trump in the states that matter... Could be the Democratic party's best chance at winning back the oval office.

He does nothing to inspire me with his policy positions, however.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
It would require Beto and Harris to team up to beat them... And I'm okay with that.

Abrams would make a Biden presidency more palatable to me, to be sure... But I think we need to move on from the Bidens of the Democratic party. Of course, I'll vote for whomever comes out of the primaries but I would rather see Beto and Harris (in any order).
Harris/VP Beto would give me hope for this timeline.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Great, another viable 2020 Senate candidate being ripped away to be in the already ludicrously overcrowded presidential primary. And not even to be on the top of the ticket!

Also, the last time we had a candidate pick a running mate without having locked up the primary was Ted Cruz in 2016 who very clearly did it as a final desperation move. Kinda weird to take a page out of that book.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a cheap stunt to announce something like this at this early stage. This tactic was laughable when Ted Cruz announced that Carly Fiorina was his VP pick and it should be here too, but we'll see in a year what people think when it comes time to actually vote for anything. Personally doing this would make me less likely to support him during the primary process

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like a cheap stunt to announce something like this at this early stage. This tactic was laughable when Ted Cruz announced that Carly Fiorina was his VP pick and it should be here too, but we'll see in a year what people think when it comes time to actually vote for anything. Personally doing this would make me less likely to support him during the primary process
having abrams as his vp would literally be the only redeemable part of him running. why would that make you LESS likely to support him?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I would be OK with it. Let Biden beat Trump this cycle, and refuse to run in 2020. This should give time for other candidates to grow in the 4 years of democratic government, and be able to campaign more freely on policies vs campaigning on being "not Trump"

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Love Stacey, voted for her last year. And Biden has wide appeal. Probably not the greatest idea to announce vp this early ordinarily but perhaps with so much on the line hopefully this will get him through the primarys

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this triggers Sanders and Beto getting their own minority VPs before the first debate