• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 18, 2020
I don't know about you guys, but as I recall, Trump completely upended the country's norms in less than three years.

We can have drastic changes quickly in the opposite direction, if we choose to actually implement them. I say this as an American who doesn't believe incrementalism is a scientific principle.

I feel like it was less of an upending than an unmasking, but I understand where you're coming from. Still, people have to remember that government requires a lot more work to move the pendulum back toward good.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like when a Republican actually compromises and moves more left.

Why are we settling for these weak measures from a proclaimed Democrat? It will only get worse and more watered down from here on out.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It should be better is all I'm saying, because your country can afford it. Your politicians are the ones that stand in your way, not actual constraints that necessarily need time to build up. Like if you were a developing nation and had to invest in the infrastructure or economy first.

All I'm saying is what will be the timeline of gradual? Even now your politicians don't give you any supposed 10-15-20 year plan for say, healthcare for all. It seems like you guys are left deciphering what "gradual change" means, which quite honestly means there is never any true focus on getting to systematic change.
Let's look at the erosion of abortion rights. Since Roe v Wade, and concurrently with it, conservatives have been chipping away at abortion rights and access with it being virtually inaccessible areas in the country. So a gradual change in a complete opposite direction will run about 50ish years give or take.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Its easier to destroy than to build, and Trump had powerless Dems and Republicans who only cared about reelection.
Destroying or building requires just putting the laws in place to do the things we want.... That's it. That's pretty much all you have to do.

Of course, said law-making requires having executive bodies do their jobs, but the answer to those obstacles isn't to come to the table with an incrementalist mindset, especially since we all know Republicans are fuckbois anyway. So demand the most that you can!

I want a Democratic party and a progressive body that's passionately willing to fight for the things they truly want instead of constantly going "Oh shucks, maybe in the next 20 years" every time we capitulate to the other side with half-measures and "well, that's the reality of things." Like... seriously, stop throwing a stick in your own bicycle spokes.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I want a Democratic party and a progressive body that's passionately willing to fight for the things they truly want instead of constantly going "Oh shucks, maybe in the next 20 years" every time we capitulate to the other side with half-measures and "well, that's the reality of things." Like... seriously, stop throwing a stick in your own bicycle spokes.

That's correct, but for this to mean anything...you need to have the majority of congress on your side. That has only happened rarely and briefly in recent times.

If not, then the legislative chamber will remain the cemetery for many of these great ideas.

Balphon

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit unclear. He says that loans will be forgiven if you make under 125k, but doesn't actually indicate an upper amount threshold nor gives any idea of what the phase-in periods will be. If it was all (federal) debt, there wouldnt be a need to include the following passages about making a 5% discretionary income cap and after 20 years the rest is forgiven.

IBR currently caps at 10% of income if you borrowed after July 2014, and 15% before. However its not structured so that your balance is forgiven if you pay consistently after 20 years.

The more I read it, the more unclear it gets. I don't believe its a blanket forgiveness if you're under 125k.

Current IBR repayment periods are either 20 or 25 years depending on a few factors.

Of course, then you get whacked with the tax on the COD income at the end of the period, which is its own problem.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That's correct, but for this to mean anything...you need to have the majority of congress on your side. That has only happened rarely and briefly in recent times.
That's why we should probably make it a mission to continuously vote in midterms like we did the last time, and start engaging in local politics and organizations to bolster our own communities and presence, instead of always hinging the entire soul of the country on a four-year cycle that, in effect, was stolen the last time by bigoted-ass white conservatives in the Midwest.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destroying or building requires just putting the laws in place to do the things we want.... That's it. That's pretty much all you have to do.

Of course, said law-making requires having executive bodies do their jobs, but the answer to those obstacles isn't to come to the table with an incrementalist mindset, especially since we all know Republicans are fuckbois anyway. So demand the most that you can!

I understand what you want ,but at the same time the Executive Branch wields too much power as is. We really need to scale back what the Executive is capable of.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many people are accusing of others of being unhappy because their loans wont be taken care of or other bullshit.

How about this? Biden is not President yet. This is not a bill drafted in Congress. Its a proposal so why should we give up and say its good enough for now like so many seem to have already done? We continue to push to make the proposal better so if it is President Biden and it does eventually come to a possible law we are making sure to not segregate people for school choice etc. Upto 30% of College Students go to a Private/For Profit School each year yet we are going to say they don't deserve the same level of assistance as everyone else who is suffering?

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I mean it's cool and all but what if I want to go to med school? Why isn't he paying for that!?! And no medicare until 60??????? He wants me dead.

No better than the Republicans. Voting down ballot.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Let's look at the erosion of abortion rights. Since Roe v Wade, and concurrently with it, conservatives have been chipping away at abortion rights and access with it being virtually inaccessible areas in the country. So a gradual change in a complete opposite direction will run about 50ish years give or take.

I think where its a contested debate is around what the term "gradual change" means? But to me that's the huge issue in of itself. It sounds good, it sounds like you're working towards a "big picture" and most of life in many areas teaches us things come gradually. Usually because you have to learn or study until you can do whatever it is you want to do. But it honestly seems like for as long as I was last in a Modern Studies class in school (politics class), America has been involved in this "incremental change" for the healthcare industry. Things are probably even worse now than they were 10-15 years ago. In terms of debt accruing and prices going mental for the most basic of healthcare.

As much as I sound negative about anything, I'll say Biden doing something, okay, that's good (although it seems his offering is worse than Hillary's from 4 years ago???). But to me, an outsider, it really looks like kicking the can down the road. Precisely because the country and the powers that be can afford to do much better and I think this idea of "incremental change" in America over a few key issues, notably education and health, has been the masterclass of stalling for generations.

Mar 18, 2020
So many people are accusing of others of being unhappy because their loans wont be taken care of or other bullshit.

How about this? Biden is not President yet. This is not a bill drafted in Congress. Its a proposal so why should we give up and say its good enough for now like so many seem to have already done? We continue to push to make the proposal better so if it is President Biden and it does eventually come to a possible law we are making sure to not segregate people for school choice etc. Upto 30% of College Students go to a Private/For Profit School each year yet we are going to say they don't deserve the same level of assistance as everyone else who is suffering?

It's not "good enough," it's a start and it doesn't have to be the end. A lot of people seem not to understand that the work is ongoing.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
So if I have about $12k in student loan debt. It's between US Dept of Education and Stafford loans. Would this mean all my student loan will be forgiven? Or just $10k?

I currently make about $27k/year

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I think where its a contested debate is around what the term "gradual change" means? But to me that's the huge issue in of itself. It sounds good, it sounds like you're working towards a "big picture" and most of life in many areas teaches us things come gradually. Usually because you have to learn or study until you can do whatever it is you want to do. But it honestly seems like for as long as I was in a Modern Studies class in school (politics class), America has been involved in this "incremental change" for the healthcare industry. Things are probably even worse now than they were 10-15 years ago.

As much as I sound negative about anything, I'll say Biden doing something, okay, that's good. But to me, an outsider, it really looks like kicking the can down the road. Precisely because the country and the powers that be can afford to do much better and I think this idea of "incremental change" in America over a few key issues, notably education and health, has been the masterclass of stalling for generations.
The gradual change for healthcare is going as intended. While there are concessions, such as preexisting conditions, the big goal has been for many in politics who continue to get elected and reelected has been to increase the power of private healthcare providers and insure the business remains profitable since atleast the time of Reagan.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember. Has he said anything regarding making public college tuition free? If not this is only a bandaid at best.

Dec 31, 2017
Ah damn, only for public undergrads. I would have been legit happy if this applied to grad school too.

Either way, if it helps some people then better than nothing.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't include people with debt from:

- For-Profit Colleges / Private institutions (HBCUs exempt)
- Trade Schools
- Graduate School

We should be clear on what this actually is.

Ah, so it is just pretty words and a big ol' fuck you to people who went the private route. I would have gone to a public university had the schools not been so impacted due to a lack of funding and/or so outrageously priced they might as well be private schools.

Edit: I should say I would be happy for it to help any number of people, but it's absolutely lame that it wouldn't cover everybody in low to middle income families attending ANY college.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Current IBR repayment periods are either 20 or 25 years depending on a few factors.

Of course, then you get whacked with the tax on the COD income at the end of the period, which is its own problem.

You're right, I was mistaken. It also has to be 240 (for 20 yr) months of payments, and months of forbearance dont count towards the months (deferments do). Which could prove troublesome depending on your type of loan.

The only difference here is that its basically a Revised Revised PAYE that caps at 5%. Presumably with no tax at the end.

Oct 27, 2017
I have many issues with Biden, but expanding Medicare to those who want it via a public option and forgiving student loans for low and middle class would be amazing.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
The gradual change for healthcare is going as intended. While there are concessions, such as preexisting conditions, the big goal has been for many in politics to increase the power of private healthcare providers and insure the business remains profitable since atleast the time of Reagan.

By going as intended are you suggesting to me positively or negatively? Because many of the articles you read about your healthcare industry from 2010 up to now, 2020, are hellish. Given we're going through a pandemic right now it's even scarier, irrespective of Trump saying shit online about how he'll pay for everything for anyone who needs it. That's not happening.

Your healthcare industry is going to look for the maximum profit possible out of the coronavirus outbreak

The ambulance company that transported the Wucinskis, American Medical Response, charged the family $2,598 for taking them to the hospital. A company representative declined to comment on the bill "due to patient privacy concerns," but said the company would look into the case.

An additional $90 in charges came from radiologists who read the patients' X-ray scans and do not work for the hospital. Having such doctors, who may be outside a patient's insurance networks, provide services to hospital patients is one of the major causes of surprise medical bills.

www.nytimes.com

Kept at the Hospital on Coronavirus Fears, Now Facing Large Medical Bills (Published 2020)

Care was mandated by the government, but it’s not clear who has to pay.

Things like that are just absolute lunacy for anyone looking in.

And who gets hit the hardest?

As a result of all this, "those who are already experiencing health disparities are going to be the hardest-hit," she says. Her research and that of many others has given us a clear picture of the population of people experiencing those disparities. Many of them are non-white, meaning they're affected by institutional racism, and many have chronic conditions or other disabilities. They're also often service workers in the food, hospitality, or healthcare sectors—jobs that necessitate constant contact with the public.

www.popsci.com

The American healthcare system is only making COVID-19 worse

The patchwork of public and private care—and a lack of mandatory paid sick leave—makes the country more vulnerable.

Imagine my shock.

But hey

The Morning Consult poll, released Sunday, surveyed 2,201 adults across the United States between March 12 and March 13. Among other things, respondents were asked, "Has the coronavirus outbreak made you more or less likely to support universal health care proposals, where all Americans would get their health insurance from the government?"

Over a quarter (26 percent) of those surveyed said they were "much more likely" to support universal healthcare, while 15 percent said they were "somewhat more likely" to favor it. Nearly three-fifths of Democrats said they were either somewhat (20 percent) or much more (39 percent) likely to support it. A full quarter of Republicans said they had become more disposed to national health insurance because of COVID-19, with 14 percent of them claiming to be much more likely to support it than they had been before. Among Americans who approve of the job President Donald Trump is doing, 26 percent said they now view universal healthcare more favorably.

The poll went into great detail about respondents' age, sex, ethnicity, religion, and so on. Few of the results would shock anyone familiar with American politics, though some might be mildly surprised to learn, for instance, just how many Evangelical Christians (35 percent) and self-identified conservatives (23 percent) say COVID-19 has pushed them in the direction of universal healthcare.

www.thenewamerican.com

COVID-19 Causing Americans to Favor Universal Healthcare, Poll Finds - The New American

A new poll finds that the coronavirus is causing Americans increasingly to favor universal healthcare, but is government healthcare really better at combating the disease than free-market care? by Michael Tennant

Maybe eventually people will force the politicians who keep ascending into power to give a shit. Biden offering LESS than Clinton did in 2016, if I've read that right, is absolutely embarrassing. Offering less than what was offered before can hardly be chalked up as "incremental change".

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Gradual progress" usually stops at "Gradual progress" because to actually tackle the underlying issue it requires systematic change, not a band-aid.

How long has America, the richest country in the world, or one of them, been stuck in a process of "Gradual change"? Your country could literally afford to do the "actual change" bit, you know, any time, right now. You're not a developing nation that needs to say to its population, "this is a 70 year process".

But we can do this song and dance in another 10~15 years when we see where American healthcare is and where the education system is, another grossly hyper-capitalist market. Why is it America seems to take everything that should be for the people/population in life and absolutely reems the population with debt?

And then your masters say to you, here's a few breadcrumbs, and the response is "we're soo grateful!". It's soo fucked up to see. Like honestly, it's heart-breaking.
This is a very, very valid way to look at things. I get it. I'm 35 and I've been fucked really badly by the first recession, which caused me to take on a ton of debt. I think I may get through this one okay. But I know a lot of my friends who won't. This is unsustainable. We need to fight back and focus on local elections. We need to elect people locally who do what we want. Primary the fuck out of old establishment politicians. We have to fight for it.

And keep in mind the insane amount of money the Fed just... dumped into the market. They could have forgiven all loans for that temporary stock market bump. We need to stop settling for half measures.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
By going as intended are you suggesting to me positively or negatively? Because many of the articles you read about your healthcare industry from 2010 up to now, 2020, are hellish. Given we're going through a pandemic right now it's even scarier, irrespective of Trump saying shit online about how he'll pay for everything for anyone who needs it. That's not happening.

Your healthcare industry is going to look for the maximum profit possible out of the coronavirus outbreak

www.nytimes.com

Kept at the Hospital on Coronavirus Fears, Now Facing Large Medical Bills (Published 2020)

Care was mandated by the government, but it’s not clear who has to pay.

Things like that are just absolute lunacy for anyone looking in.

And who gets hit the hardest?

www.popsci.com

The American healthcare system is only making COVID-19 worse

The patchwork of public and private care—and a lack of mandatory paid sick leave—makes the country more vulnerable.

But hey

www.thenewamerican.com

COVID-19 Causing Americans to Favor Universal Healthcare, Poll Finds - The New American

A new poll finds that the coronavirus is causing Americans increasingly to favor universal healthcare, but is government healthcare really better at combating the disease than free-market care? by Michael Tennant

Maybe eventually people will force the politicians who keep ascending into power to give a shit. Biden offering LESS than Clinton did in 2016, if I've read that right, is absolutely embarrassing. Offering less than what was offered before can hardly be chalked up as "incremental change".
Negatively, many citizens and politicians want things to go this way. Whether they are employees, shareholders, executives, sadists, etc. Many profit or depend on the way healthcare in the US work and want it to continue to be as profitable as possible. The suffering of others doesn't especially matter to them. They have spent a great deal of time, money, and energy politically to make sure they get all the small, gradual changes they need for that.

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
So it's basically useless. lol. Public universities should just be free to begin with.

Ah, so it is just pretty words and a big ol' fuck you to people who went the private route. I would have gone to a public university had the schools not been so impacted due to a lack of funding and/or so outrageously priced they might as well be private schools.

Edit: I should say I would be happy for it to help any number of people, but it's absolutely lame that it wouldn't cover everybody in low to middle income families attending ANY college.

People are aware that this builds upon his current student loan plan right? So while debt is completely forgone for people attending public schools and HBCUs, everyone else is getting their student loan payments capped under his plan. The point of his plan today is to make loan forgiveness more targeted towards people who are more likely to have a higher student loan burden compared to the average student. You can argue that this is foolish, that means testing is preferable but to say his plan is 'useless' and/or 'pretty words' is extremely shortsighted. Take a look at his plan:

More than halve payments on undergraduate federal student loans by simplifying and increasing the generosity of today's income-based repayment program. Under the Biden plan, individuals making $25,000 or less per year will not owe any payments on their undergraduate federal student loans and also won't accrue any interest on those loans. Everyone else will pay 5% of their discretionary income (income minus taxes and essential spending like housing and food) over $25,000 toward their loans. This plan will save millions of Americans thousands of dollars a year. After 20 years, the remainder of the loans for people who have responsibly made payments through the program will be 100% forgiven. Individuals with new and existing loans will all be automatically enrolled in the income-based repayment program, with the opportunity to opt out if they wish. In addition to relieving some of the burden of student debt, this will enable graduates to pursue careers in public service and other fields without high levels of compensation. Biden will also change the tax code so that debt forgiven through the income-based repayment plan won't be taxed.

Meanwhile Betsy DeVos is making it more difficult for students from for-profit universities to get their student loans discharged from fradulent institutions. But there's no difference between Biden and Trump, am i right?

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Negatively, many citizens and politicians want things to go this way. Whether they are employees, shareholders, executives, sadists, etc. Many profit or depend on the way healthcare in the US work and want it to continue to be as profitable as possible. The suffering of others doesn't especially matter to them. They have spent a great deal of time, money, and energy politically to make sure they get all the small, gradual changes they need for that.

That's the perfect word to describe some of the people alluded to, sadists. Probably better terminology for me to use rather than "masters" and "crumbs", given I've sorta just pieced together over the last while how that sounds.

Making money out of suffering is sadly the way it is for many that are filthy rich due to it. It's always been a lucrative industry profiteering off the misery, desperation or even death of others. In America that quite often tends to be, wait for it, minorities. But I don't need to tell anyone here that.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
  • Immediately cancel a minimum of $10,000 of student debt per person, as proposed by Senator Warren in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.
  • Those earning less than $25,000 per year will not have to make monthly payments and will accrue no interest
  • Those earning more than $25,000 per year will pay no more than 5% of discretionary income toward payments
  • After 20 years, the remainder of federal student loans will be forgiven without any tax burden
  • Those who participate in public service will be eligible for additional federal loan forgiveness, including $10,000 per year of forgiveness for up to five years.
Good shit.
How does this change it if I am 5 years into PSLF? Does it just start knocking down 10k a year from my loan as I make payments? RIght now I'm at 10%, would it drop down to 5%?

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
That's the perfect word to describe some of the people alluded to, sadists. Probably better terminology for me to use rather than "masters" and "crumbs", given I've sorta just pieced together over the last while how that sounds.

Making money out of suffering is sadly the way it is for many that are filthy rich due to it. It's always been a lucrative industry profiteering off the misery, desperation or even death of others.
It's not all rich people. You tell a guy in Macon, Georgia his insurance sales job is going away after putting in 20 years and he's going to panic and do whatever to make sure he can keep food on the table even if it means his neighbor blows their brains out after seeing their bill for cancer treatment. Same thing when you some company that's makes its money selling overpriced medical equipment scares a whole town with doomsday scenarios if they can't charge X hundred times the cost to manufacture and would have to do layoffs of the handful of employees they have employed domestically. There's a lot of warranted and unwarranted self-preservation instincts kicking in with working class people who want the medical industry to continue as it does in the US.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
It's not all rich people. You tell a guy in Macon, Georgia his insurance sales job is going away after putting in 20 years and he's going to panic and do whatever to make sure he can keep food on the table even if it means his neighbor blows their brains out after seeing their bill for cancer treatment. Same thing when you some company that's makes its money selling overpriced medical equipment scares a whole town with doomsday scenarios if they can't charge X hundred times the cost to manufacture and would have to do layoffs of the handful of employees they have employed domestically. There's a lot of warranted and unwarranted self-preservation instincts kicking in with working class people who want the medical industry to continue as it does in the US.

I don't think any answer ever begins with "all rich people....". As much as life has a way of showing how some of the worst people on this planet are rich, at the same time there is evidence not every single person with more wealth than someone needs in a single lifetime to live comfortably is always a piece of shit.

The self-preservation that kicks in for people in roles or communities in America that exploit healthcare doesn't have to be supported or enabled. That's always a very weak argument to keep the system in place, especially when other countries have shown you can transition away from inhumane healthcare and still support jobs/careers and opportunities.

Some people would maybe have to be OK with less money, or at least not fuck you money, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If someone is threatening to blow their brains out because they might earn 100k a year instead of 500k, empathy can be in short supply. Especially if the changes to the system in return help prolong the life of millions for longer and reduce suffering on massive scale.

If you want to talk about some jobs just completely disappearing, then okay, maybe that could happen. But if one of these hypothetical jobs only existed to prolong or exploit suffering, I mean, I guess that is the perfect time for the "greater good" argument if there ever was one.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Boy, people are determined to hate anything Biden does, huh?

Good for him. This is proof that people's voices and influences can push a moderate candidate. He'll always be moderate, but these policies directly help people, even if you don't think they help *enough*. Which is valid, and continue to push! But also I want to give credit where credit is due.

Arrowgigantic

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
The Medicare at 60 is actually worse policy than the current, when you think for half a goddamn second about it. There's about 15 million people between the ages of 60 and 65. What will the for-profit insurers do when that multi-billion dollar wad of revenue evaporates? Jack up the rest of us who are still stuck with them, that's what.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know about you guys, but as I recall, Trump completely upended the country's norms in less than three years.

We can have drastic changes quickly in the opposite direction, if we choose to actually implement them. I say this as an American who doesn't believe incrementalism is a scientific principle.

Tearing things down is always easier than building something. Pretending it isn't doesn't help anyone. Trump was able to drastically screw up our green efforts by literally just firing a bunch of people in the EPA. Would building further infrastructure to help climate change be nearly as easy as merely saying a word and having dozens of employees go home jobless in an instant? Never.

We shouldn't equate these things as if they are the same.

Boy, people are determined to hate anything Biden does, huh?

Good for him. This is proof that people's voices and influences can push a moderate candidate. He'll always be moderate, but these policies directly help people, even if you don't think they help *enough*. Which is valid, and continue to push! But also I want to give credit where credit is due.

I dont even mind if they don't like him ever. But to shit on any movement in the right direction because you aren't getting everything at once just makes you a bitter annoying person to be around. Go pout by yourself in a corner if you need to but this helps people and it IS a step in the right direction, I mean geez. Imagine just systematically decrying every bit of progressive movement... Ridiculous.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Student loan debt forgiveness is pretty aggressive. It contains Elizabeth Warren's $10k forgiveness program for all Americans and then additionally forgives public college/u debt for anybody earning less than $125k/year.

Additionally:

• Immediately cancel a minimum of $10,000 of student debt per person, as proposed by Senator Warren in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.
  • Those earning less than $25,000 per year will not have to make monthly payments and will accrue no interest
  • Those earning more than $25,000 per year will pay no more than 5% of discretionary income toward payments
  • After 20 years, the remainder of federal student loans will be forgiven without any tax burden
  • Those who participate in public service will be eligible for additional federal loan forgiveness, including $10,000 per year of forgiveness for up to five years.
People can poopoo it or be cynical because it's Joe Biden, but this is an aggressive policy proposal especially when combined with his no-debt community college expansion and expansion of Pell grants.

What I'm curious about is if these extra plans are also exlusive to only Undergraduate Loans, or if it also includes Graduate and Private Schools?

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's something, however small. Doubt he'd get it through or follow through, but.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Throw on two years of free community college too! Plenty of vocational / technical courses a person can complete in two years and enter the workforce making good money. Everyone doesn't need a four year degree or more.

I still feel guilty when I see the debt modern students are saddled with. I graduated literally right before the cost of tuition and books skyrocketed for seemingly no reason. I will support any kind of policy of this nature.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I went to a private undergrad university. It would be real nice to have my debt forgiven. Oh well. Thanks for nothing, Joe. :|

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Reading through this. i guess I appreciate the $10000 off. Unfortunately, I went private for undergrad and,,,,well Grad school T_T.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Throw on two years of free community college too! Plenty of vocational / technical courses a person can complete in two years and enter the workforce making good money. Everyone doesn't need a four year degree or more.

I still feel guilty when I see the debt modern students are saddled with. I graduated literally right before the cost of tuition and books skyrocketed for seemingly no reason. I will support any kind of policy of this nature.
I think he wants to make community college completely free. As it should be anyhow. Personally public colleges/community colleges/tech/vocational training should all be free.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver

If not, then the legislative chamber will remain the cemetery for many of these great ideas.
This is actually one of the things that could probably be done by executive order.

Biden will probably want to hide behind congress though, seeing as he was one of the most key people who created the student loan crisis, and I doubt he's changed his mind about blaming people for their debt.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland

Not sure if youre saying so here, but thats already in his platform. Lol.
I'm making $85k off an asociates degree now. Degree depending of course, they're not worthless as many seem to think.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
The Medicare at 60 is actually worse policy than the current, when you think for half a goddamn second about it. There's about 15 million people between the ages of 60 and 65. What will the for-profit insurers do when that multi-billion dollar wad of revenue evaporates? Jack up the rest of us who are still stuck with them, that's what.

Maybe the ultimate goal is to just hope most Americans won't live to 60 lol. Between working conditions, stress, poverty and more, you never know, could be a winning tactic for the health industry.

The UK already keeps raising the retirement age for state pensions. Probably hoping some of our generations are literally working till we die. I'm not totally clued up on how pensions work in America, I've mostly heard it's a dog eat dog world and it's basically about how you've personally saved. Unsure if there is a state allowance at a certain age. But I don't doubt whatever you guys have for older people, it's somehow more inhumane than anyone else.