• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
Joe Biden can help an old lady cross the street and people will find something to complain about. This was a nice moment, more of these.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if there's no discussion to be had about the substance or legitimacy of the event, or to even have a meta discussion about how people react to these kinds of things, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the thread is besides saying "good guy Biden"

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
The people don't need beer, they need Medicare for All! /s

Good advance team work by Biden's crew.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, you don't think this wasn't staged, right?
So what if it was? That's your only criticism.
Trump doesn't do any of this stuff - at all. He cares so little, he doesn't even put in the effort to even pretend to care, because frankly, he's only cared about one thing in his entire life:

Himself.

You can't say the same about Biden. You're free to disagree with him or his policies, he might've not been your first, second or even third choice, but he's a caring, empathetic human being and more importantly, he's all you've got right now.

He's someone resembling a President. You think Trump would've done this? Any of it? He'd probably throw toilet rolls, until they'd asked him to stop.

You don't have to like him. You don't have to vote for him. But don't come into a thread about a positive uplifting gesture only to insert your cynicism in a world with Donald fucking Trump as the sitting President. We've had enough of that already.

Oct 25, 2017
So what if it was? That's your only criticism.
Trump doesn't do any of this stuff - at all. He cares so little, he doesn't even put in the effort to even pretend to care, because frankly, he's only cared about one thing in his entire life:

Himself.

You can't say the same about Biden. You're free to disagree with him or his policies, he might've not been your first, second or even third choice, but he's a caring, empathetic human being and more importantly, he's all you've got right now.

He's someone resembling a President. You think Trump would've done this? Any of it? He'd probably throw toilet rolls, until they'd asked him to stop.

You don't have to like him. You don't have to vote for him. But don't come into a thread about a positive upliftning gesture only to insert your cynicism in a world with Donald fucking Trump as the sitting President. We've had enough of that already.

I mean, you can just block me. No one is forcing you to read mild criticisms of Joe Biden.

"He's not Trump" has never, and will never be a reason to treat Biden with kid gloves.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean, if there's no discussion to be had about the substance or legitimacy of the event, or to even have a meta discussion about how people react to these kinds of things, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of the thread is besides saying "good guy Biden"
Whats the point of threads where Trump does something horrible? Except, bad guy Trump?

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I mean, I've promised things before that have slipped my mind, haha. Probably would have gone better if I had people keeping track of those.
he's a politician

he prob made the promise and then wrote it down in a journal or sommit

"the next time i meet with so-and-so, get them some beers"

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I got to spend an afternoon with Mr Biden when his campaign rented out a park building that I managed. He was incredibly funny, engaging, and seemed to really care about listening to everyones' stories.

I asked him about student loan debt. He spent maybe 10 minutes going every almost every facet of his ideas. Can't say I agreed with all of them, but I was impressed.

I was more impressed by his ability to recall an anecdote that applied to every single one of the 30 or so local "VIPs" that were there.

Before they left for their next stop Mr Biden came back across the facility to shake my hand, thank me for all of the work I put into the event, and gave me an official VP coin.

He might be a gaffe machine, but once you get past that there is a man who is still at the top of his game.
Thank you for sharing this. With the current stakes of this year on top of Trump's inability to function as a person, it's easy to forget the human side of politics. That seems to be an area where Biden particularly excels that isn't apparent remotely.

Every account I've heard of someone meeting Biden in person describes an infectious personality, a genuine individual truly committed to hearing the perspectives of others. I know someone who got to meet him at Rutgers for an event years ago. She supported him well before he secured the nomination due to that meeting alone. He seems to have a strong effect on people.

It makes me wonder how many of the people who hate him would feel if they got the chance to meet him. It makes me wonder how many Trump supporters would denounce Trump after spending just an hour with him talking over them and never letting them speak, versus a genuinely great listener.

He's had some bad gaffes and he might not always have the best ideas but at the very least he truly does seem to be a public servant committed to actually finding ways to improve the lives of average Americans.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Can you give me an example of such a thread?
I'm not even sure what you are asking for? You said you weren't sure what the point of the thread is if people that don't agree that this was a good thing will get piled on. Correct? So, what is the point of any Trump thread where he does some shitty thing? I mean, the end result will be that everybody piles on Trump right? And rightfully so in my mind.

Isn't that discussion? Discussion doesn't have to be argument or opposition. There is a lot of discussion to be had in this thread, and that seems clear because it keeps going. And those that don't agree with the majority opinion can voice their opposition. That doesn't mean they won't get piled on however. Those in power will ultimately react to these heated topics and that alone is worthy of discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what you are asking for? You said you weren't sure what the point of the thread is if people that don't agree that this was a good thing will get piled on. Correct? So, what is the point of any Trump thread where he does some shitty thing? I mean, the end result will be that everybody piles on Trump right? And rightfully so in my mind.

Isn't that discussion? Discussion doesn't have to be argument or opposition. There is a lot of discussion to be had in this thread, and that seems clear because it keeps going. And those that don't agree with the majority opinion can voice their opposition. That doesn't mean they won't get piled on however.

I mean, what's an example of a shitty thing Trump has done that someone made a thread about? Like, I'm trying to gauge what you mean by "shitty thing"

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are saying that it was likely a staged event, and as such, there's not really much to be said about it. It's empty calories, the thread.
How staged you talking? Like Biden's people went last week to the station and told them what to say OR Biden's people reminded them just moments before? There are degrees here.

Also, it's still a nice story of Biden visiting a firehouse he visited 8 years ago. The beer is just a nice moment.

Oct 25, 2017
How staged you talking? Like Biden's people went last week to the station and told them what to say OR Biden's people reminded them just moments before? There are degrees here.

Namely that someone was like, "this would be a good photo op" and so they got the firefighters involved. Didn't necessarily even give them a script to say, as I'm sure the firefighters likely remember the promise.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I mean, what's an example of a shitty thing Trump has done that someone made a thread about? Like, I'm trying to gauge what you mean by "shitty thing"
Like everything he does??? What are you even asking me? Calling soldiers suckers and losers. Downplaying the virus even knowing it was bad. That's just in the last week. But, according to the argument you are presenting, since we can all agree that's shitty of Trump, there shouldn't even be a thread since therefore there is nothing to discuss since we should agree it's shitty.

What is your argument here?

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
Namely that someone was like, "this would be a good photo op" and so they got the firefighters involved. Didn't necessarily even give them a script to say, as I'm sure the firefighters likely remember the promise.

Next thing you are going to say is Santa isn't real. No shit! Whats the point?

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, you can just block me. No one is forcing you to read mild criticisms of Joe Biden.

"He's not Trump" has never, and will never be a reason to treat Biden with kid gloves.
I don't avoid people I disagree with.
What's he done, though? People are shitting on him for a positive thing. It wasn't another gaffe, it was him fulfilling a promise. What would require kid gloves here? Please, enlighten me.

All of the criticism coming his way right now rings hollow in light of not only Trump, but in general. You have absolutely nothing constructive to say or add, so you blurt out nonsense to have anything at all negative to say about him.

This is not you treating him with kid gloves, it's the exact opposite. It's treating him with a type of cynicism he hasn't made himself deserved of. A cynicism, which frankly, you should be reserving for the current shitheel in chief, but you aren't.

People like you baffle me.

Oct 25, 2017
Like everything he does. What are you even asking me? Calling soldiers suckers and losers. Downplaing the virus even knowing it was bad. That's just in the last week. But, according to the argument you are presenting, since we can all agree that's shitty of Trump, there shouldn't even be a thread since therefore there is nothing to discuss.

Oh.

In that case, as a trans person, when Trump does something bad that hurts trans people, it's really valuable for people to know, and the thread not existing would make people less educated on the wrongdoings of Trump.

Downplaying the virus is something that cost tens of thousands of lives, causes millions more to be ill.

I thought you were talking about entirely petty things like covfefe or whatever, but it turns out that you actually do think that discussing actions that Trump performed that had widespread ramifications are comparable to a thread about a photo op.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like everything he does??? What are you even asking me? Calling soldiers suckers and losers. Downplaying the virus even knowing it was bad. That's just in the last week. But, according to the argument you are presenting, since we can all agree that's shitty of Trump, there shouldn't even be a thread since therefore there is nothing to discuss since we should agree it's shitty.

Man we see so much of this argument that we shouldn't speak of Trump because we all agree on something, but less on why the media isn't doin their job and taking bad faith actors to task.

Oct 25, 2017

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
yo if it's on the basic ass level of kissing babies, where's your response to the people on the first page calling it "both fucking awesome and brilliant," "an uncanny ability to relate to regular people," "really fucking great"
Because it is cool. Short of Biden falling flat on his ass there is no way this backfires. It's called low risk high reward. He brought beer to firemen, when's Trump ever done anything like that?

Have some of you forgotten what an actual campaign looks like? I know it sbene four years and we have a insane narcissist for president that does white supramicist rallies for campaign events, but Jesus.

Unlike your crack eye, where you misread my single-sentence post. I said that it was worrisome that it bothered you that criticism existed, not that one must criticize the thread.

Relax.
It appears the problem might be your posts, as I'm not the only person to say the same thing to you about your posts.
This thread really went to shit.
Yes, some people here really are insufferable.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Man we see so much of this argument that we shouldn't speak of Trump because we all agree on something, but less on why the media isn't doin their job and taking bad faith actors to task.
Absolutely. In this case, remembering a promise 8 years in the past to front line workers, doesn't come across as just a "photo op" when the actual President is cool with 200k people dying and is calling soldiers suckers and losers but I guess I need to have others tell me what is worthy to have a discussion about.

Oct 25, 2017
Because it is cool. Short of Biden falling flat on his ass there is no way this backfires. It's called low risk high reward. He brought beer to firemen, when's Trump ever done anything like that?

It appears the problem might be your posts, as I'm not the only person to say the same thing to you about your posts.

Yes, some people really here really are insufferable

I'm pretty certain that the problem was you not reading your post, since I didn't say that a person had to criticize Biden or else their behavior was worrisome.

Again, just take the L, captive, and read posts more thoroughly in the future.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Nice photo op, he has some good staffers who remembered to use this moment.
I'm curious why any staffer would know this moment out of the thousands of hours of footage Biden likely has. It seems more likely Biden himself remembered this. Even if it took an anniversary to remember it. But in the end, still a classy move that our current president is in capable of doing.

walkinfast

Aug 24, 2019
I'm curious why any staffer would know this moment out of the thousands of hours of footage Biden likely has. It seems more likely Biden himself remembered this. Even if it took an anniversary to remember it. But in the end, still a classy move that our current president is in capable of doing.

Regardless of who remembered it, this is a nice breath of fresh air after the last 4 years.