• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Two enter, one leaves

• Kamala Harris

Votes: 780 83.2%
  • Susan Rice

Votes: 157 16.8%

• Total voters

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
www.axios.com

The final 2? Biden confidants see VP choices narrowing to Kamala Harris and Susan Rice

After conversations with more than a dozen people close to him, they'd be surprised if he chose anyone else.
Confidants of Joe Biden believe his choices for vice president have narrowed to Sen. Kamala Harris and Susan Rice — and would be surprised if he picks anyone else.

The state of play: This is a snapshot of the nearly unanimous read that we get from more than a dozen people close to him.
  • Of course, it comes with a giant asterisk: Only Biden knows for sure, and the more insiders know, the less they say to reporters.
  • He's not expected to announce his choice for another week or so — the Democratic convention begins Aug. 17 — so that reality could certainly change

The case for Harris: Biden's brain trust — Steve Ricchetti, Mike Donilon and Ted Kaufman — skew older and have deep and trusting relationships with many of the Obama and Clinton veterans who are advocating for Harris.
  • It rests in part on her prosecutorial skills, which could help her attack the Trump administration with discipline.
The case for Rice: Rice is getting a big bounce from Obama people who claim her presence on the ticket would guarantee the enthusiastic presence of both Barack and Michelle Obama on the campaign trail.
  • If the contest comes down to a popularity contest with Obama alumni, Rice has an edge — and Rice allies point to her White House experience.
  • Her team acknowledges Republicans will trot out her early misstatements about the Benghazi attacks that were based on incomplete intelligence she'd been given, and she wants to defuse that by bringing it up herself.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, it comes with a giant asterisk: Only Biden knows for sure, and the more insiders know, the less they say to reporters. <- Hey, they admit the reporting is pretty worthless after all!

It's still Harris, it always was.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
taka you need to stop making vp threads

just rest a bit

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
All the names floated so far have been heads and shoulders above anything the GOP could suggest. I pulled for Warren before but I'd be happy with either of the above candidates.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
I heard Rice's interview on NPR yesterday and it was...ok.

She comes off as really dry and wonky and the stuff about her Republican son fell flat for me.

There's just not a ton of energy there, IMO.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Rice seems like a poor choice given she's mostly known for Benghazi and as bullshit as that is it's not worth the trade off. She's never won an election. Make her Secretary of State or something. Rice would be a good pick for someone much less experienced unlike Biden. Harris feels more like a future candidate and someone who could pick up the torch.

is Rice good? i don't know her?
Oh she's a great, smart person and we'd probably be in good hands with her as a leader, but she's a bit of a perplexing pick for a guy like Biden. She's a former UN ambassador and national security advisor.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My fav part of veepstakes is when the media is like it's definitely these people and then it's none of those people.

Oct 28, 2017
Rice seems like a poor choice given she's mostly known for Benghazi and as bullshit as that is it's not worth the trade off. She's never won an election. Make her Secretary of State or something. Rice would be a good pick for someone much less experienced unlike Biden. Harris feels more like a future candidate and someone who could pick up the torch.

Oh she's a great, smart person and we'd probably be in good hands with her as a leader, but she's a bit of a perplexing pick for a guy like Biden. She's a former UN ambassador and national security advisor.
Benghazi and the unmasking bullshit yea

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
He should go with Harris for VP. She's not connected to Obama and still a relatively new face in national politics.

Biden would be wise to build a new administration around him, instead of using Obama's people.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, it comes with a giant asterisk: Only Biden knows for sure, and the more insiders know, the less they say to reporters. <- Hey, they admit the reporting is pretty worthless after all!

It's still Harris, it always was.
I always assume it's the folk's camps anyway. Like when they say "sources close to" when it comes to celebrity gossip.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I like Rice and hope she is given a spot in the admin but unfortunately she gives instant and constant attack fuel to the GOP base. Linking this race back to Hilary and Benghazi would be a mistake

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He should go with Harris for VP. She's not connected to Obama and still a relatively new face in national politics.

Biden would be wise to build a new administration around him, instead of using Obama's people.
Obama wasn't exactly successful in what he set out to do, but I would trust individuals chosen by Obama every day of the week before anyone chosen by Biden on his own terms. Obama is clearly brilliant, although he has a worldview I disagree with and his tactics largely ... failed, one could say generously. Biden? You're going to end up with a bunch of dudes one step away from Romney.

Dec 16, 2017
I think Harris is more helpful for winning the election. It takes the wind right out of the "Law and Order" argument. I know she's controversial for the left, but I think she could be good for police reform.

Oct 27, 2017
Are people serious in this whole "don't know who Rice is" thing? Unless you're younger than 12 or so it makes you look completely oblivious.

As far as politics, Harris is probably the smarter pick. Her main problem (her unquestioning support of the prison industrial complex as California AG) isn't really something the Republicans can attack her on without looking foolish. If I were a liberal voter that would hardly make me enthusiastic though.

OP
OP
Taka

Taka

Apr 27, 2018
Benghazi didn't sink Obama, I don't think it would sink Biden.

Imagine the optics of trying to push Benghazi as your big campaign issue while coronavirus deaths push 200k.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rice would make sense. I doubt vp pick matters for Biden's chances at this point outside of somebody like Warren or I guess Bass probably hurting him. he might as well pick someone he likes.

is Rice good? i don't know her?
she's basically the kind of person you'd expect Biden to work well with

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
Are people serious in this whole "don't know who Rice is" thing? Unless you're younger than 12 or so it makes you look completely oblivious.

Are you sure that you are thinking of Susan Rice, and not confusing her with the much more famous Condoleezza Rice? Cause I don't think that Susan Rice has been very high profile so far...

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Obama wasn't exactly successful in what he set out to do, but I would trust individuals chosen by Obama every day of the week before anyone chosen by Biden on his own terms. Obama is clearly brilliant, although he has a worldview I disagree with and his tactics largely ... failed, one could say generously. Biden? You're going to end up with a bunch of dudes one step away from Romney.

i don't see him appointing actual republicans, which is the only way he gets in guys one step away from romney.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
And how's that working for them?
Not poorly enough, but yeah not saying it would be good strategy at all. It wouldn't be a winner but possibly slightly more traction than literally anything else they have, if only because people probably feel vaguely negative toward it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only the most hardcore of Republicans give a shit about Benghazi at this point.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
go with harris. susan rice is extremely smart and accomplished but she hasn't been elected to anything nor really led anyone in any real political governing capacity. she's a behind-the-scenes foreign policy wonk.

forget benghazi, that's the real issue there, especially being so close to the presidency. just weird that she's in the final two.

or is this one of those things that's meant to make harris more palatable by comparison?

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Getting Rice and knowing we could've had Harris, Warren, or Duckworth would be pretty disappointing, not gonna lie.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden clearly just likes Rice a lot personally, because there's no benefit to picking her electorally nor will she be his successor/frontrunner in 2024/2028

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Rice seems like a Pence-type. Kinda boring and "just there". And that doesn't seem great for Biden.