• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What will it take for you to stop courting trump supporters? Like what do they need to do for you to look, like, *anywhere* else for votes?

You're not courting Trump supporters. That 35% is lost. You're courting independents and idiots who voted for him recklessly or with poor information.

So to answer your question, either way, nothing. No candidate should stop trying to support soft Trump voters. If they did stop trying, they'd be pissing away the election. And no candidate should stop looking for votes elsewhere, that's a ridiculous way to present what I am saying. The candidates have to get every single vote they can. That's why bernie and Buttigieg keep failing to stick the landing with African Americans and why folks are nervous about their candidacy.

I haven't seen a SINGLE person on this forum who thinks Joe is the best candidate, and he's many people's absolute last pick outside of the spoilers, and I'd rather have Bernie as the candidate if he could shake off his issues with race, gun control, brigades. Of course it's atrocious that an elderly gaffe prone white guy is at the top of the polls. It sucks that Kamala is gone and that Warren is fading or that Bernie had a heart attack. The whole mess sucks. We needed better candidates. Hell, I'd like to recruit Adam Schiff simply because he can get through a sentence without fucking up on race or wine caves or grab-assery. I'd take BETO over Butti/Tulsi/Yang.

But I don't have any such luxury. All I can do is support the candidate I prefer until the candidate is chosen, and then support whoever that ends up being. Full throatedly. If Bernie wins it, I will morph overnight into a Bernie Bro of unimaginable passion. If Warren wins, I'm a Warrenmonger. If Biden wins then I have to suck it up and vote. But I don't have the luxury of hesitation. All I can do in 2020 is hold my nose and then demand accountability and change from the winner - starting with giving these failing bullshit traditions serious legal teeth. We cannot survive another Merrick Garland, or Bill Barr snowjob.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
You're not courting Trump supporters. That 35% is lost. You're courting independents and idiots who voted for him recklessly or with poor information.

So to answer your question, either way, nothing. No candidate should stop trying to support soft Trump voters. If they did stop trying, they'd be pissing away the election. And no candidate should stop looking for votes elsewhere, that's a ridiculous way to present what I am saying. The candidates have to get every single vote they can. That's why bernie and Buttigieg keep failing to stick the landing with African Americans and why folks are nervous about their candidacy.

I haven't seen a SINGLE person on this forum who thinks Joe is the best candidate, and he's many people's absolute last pick outside of the spoilers, and I'd rather have Bernie as the candidate if he could shake off his issues with race, gun control, brigades. Of course it's atrocious that an elderly gaffe prone white guy is at the top of the polls. It sucks that Kamala is gone and that Warren is fading or that Bernie had a heart attack. The whole mess sucks. We needed better candidates. Hell, I'd like to recruit Adam Schiff simply because he can get through a sentence without fucking up on race or wine caves or grab-assery. I'd take BETO over Butti/Tulsi/Yang.

But I don't have any such luxury. All I can do is support the candidate I prefer until the candidate is chosen, and then support whoever that ends up being. Full throatedly. If Bernie wins it, I will morph overnight into a Bernie Bro of unimaginable passion. If Warren wins, I'm a Warrenmonger. If Biden wins then I have to suck it up and vote. But I don't have the luxury of hesitation. All I can do in 2020 is hold my nose and then demand accountability and change from the winner - starting with giving these failing bullshit traditions serious legal teeth. We cannot survive another Merrick Garland, or Bill Barr snowjob.
Does that mean you think Joe is adequately courting apathetic democrats that didn't show up in 2016?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That he has an historical tendency for this empty, white-prioritizing discourse of unity between parties, which is particularly troublesome in 2019, when the GOP is literally spouting fascist rhetoric daily.
Again, lots of politicians will have these quotes, but unity tickets haven't happened in the United States for a long time. In addition, 2004 is not 2020. The political situation in the country is pretty different. You'll notice he said that today there are no Republicans he would want to partner with.

Latching on to this is just making a mountain out of not even a mole hill. If you don't want to support Biden, don't, but do it for policy reasons, not because he politely answered a question the same way politicians always have.

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is "No, I wouldn't"

Saying "I would, but..." is such a weak answer. It projects that the Democrat brand is so weak that he'd consider going with someone from the stronger party.

I don't care if paying lip service to Unity is a traditional thing, It is, was, and always will be awful politics.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America, please don't make me have to choose between "Whites Only" and "Whites First" this general election.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Okay? What's the big deal?

Some of y'all are fucking crazy and clearly have never had to deal with anyone outside your bubble. Christ.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Clickbaity title to enrage social media, looks like it worked. The guy said he'd consider it, but can't think of anyone. which is a nothing burger.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does that mean you think Joe is adequately courting apathetic democrats that didn't show up in 2016?

I don't think Joe is doing anything adequately. I'm not making any qualitative judgement on Joe's statement or ha prior statements - I'm pointing out that he and all candidates are going to have to find a way to reach independent, swing, low information and embarrassed Trump voters --and that the worst strategy is to attack them for their previous choice.

2016 was a perfect storm of narrow margins creating a scenario for a deeply unpopular candidate to become president. Those narrow margins AT the margins are going to be as if not more important n 2020.

If you have a perspective on how that group can be bypassed by a winning candidate in 2020 then I'd love to see it. or what happens after a protest vote to try and move the needle leftward.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So in other words he said no. I would consider voting for an amazing person who runs under the GOP (this was kind of a thing in the 2000s -- not amazing but centrist democrats who had to run as R to win). It's a meaningless statement. I actually think it was a decent burn

It does show that he remains out of touch with the activist wing of the party though, and I think he and his (terrible) team underestimate the impact of that

Last edited:

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels pretty clear to me that it's a dig at how shit republicans are.

But regardless of what his actual meaning was. There's been a fair amount of times at this point where some people here on era lose their shit over poorly phrased and unclear statements. Kinda wish people here were less quick to assume the worst it it's not at all clear what is actually being said

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Its actually a dunk on republicans but i truly believe he would consider one if they werent all sociopaths. Which is to say he doesnt view republicanism as a cancer that needs to be destroyed.

Oct 27, 2017
Okay? What's the big deal?

Some of y'all are fucking crazy and clearly have never had to deal with anyone outside your bubble. Christ.
Yea, the hysteria in this thread sure is something.

"I'll consider it" is the most non-committal statement you could physically make. This is just lip service. The alternative answer of "no! I would never consider unity!" would fucking sink him with independents. He's trying to win the Presidency, and he knows that the only path for someone like him is to butter up those independents/moderates.

Y'all just love flipping tables.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think this is a biden smear campaign implanted by republicans. Bidens name is beginning to sound like mud (all according to plan by the russians)

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yea, the hysteria in this thread sure is something.

"I'll consider it" is the most non-committal statement you could physically make. This is just lip service. The alternative answer of "no! I would never consider unity!" would fucking sink him with independents. He's trying to win the Presidency, and he knows that the only path for someone like him is to butter up those independents/moderates.

Y'all just love flipping tables.

Nah it's extra pitiful for Joe Biden of all people to act like he would consider working with republicans after they spent 8 years obstructing every single thing Obama tried to accomplish. Like, is he that forgetful/stupid? Or does he think the voters are that forgetful/stupid? This is charlie-brown-kicking-the-football-level of self defeating stupidity.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I don't think Joe is doing anything adequately. I'm not making any qualitative judgement on Joe's statement or ha prior statements - I'm pointing out that he and all candidates are going to have to find a way to reach independent, swing, low information and embarrassed Trump voters --and that the worst strategy is to attack them for their previous choice.

2016 was a perfect storm of narrow margins creating a scenario for a deeply unpopular candidate to become president. Those narrow margins AT the margins are going to be as if not more important n 2020.

If you have a perspective on how that group can be bypassed by a winning candidate in 2020 then I'd love to see it. or what happens after a protest vote to try and move the needle leftward.
2016 was low voter turnout for Dems and standard turnout for republicans.

My point is that candidates can't have their cake and eat it too. Courting Trump supporters comes at the expense of other voters, and it is becoming increasingly unclear why prioritizing Trump supporters is seen as the winning strategy.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2016 was low voter turnout for Dems and standard turnout for republicans.

My point is that candidates can't have their cake and eat it too. Courting Trump supporters comes at the expense of other voters, and it is becoming increasingly unclear why prioritizing Trump supporters is seen as the winning strategy.

I wouldn't prioritize them I'd create a basic messaging strategy that at the very least didn't alienate them which unfortunately means biting our tongue vs what we should be saying to the more enthusiastic 35%ers.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Also when do we get to vote for better? Since I've been old enough to vote its always been about just not voting for the republican. We had a chance for better in 2016 and we foundered and we are doing it again. That's what I'm tired of.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Is the take that bumped this thread really relevant enough to this story, when there is an active Primary thread that has like 25 other takes like that on every page?

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Old threads like this don't need to be bumped. This can be talked about in the Primary OT:

www.resetera.com

Democratic Presidential Primaries & Caucuses |March OT| Last Tuesday was 1000 years ago, old news no one cares about (Discussion Guidelines in OP)

Alright, folks. Now we're playing for alllll the marbles. This OP will be briefer because frankly nobody read the first one anyway and I can't be assed. Super Tuesday Alright, the big one. Super Tuesday is March 3rd this year, and you'd better believe that people are watching it closely. Even...

Status
Not open for further replies.