• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The correct answer is to state that he's a Democrat and that we're working together not against ourselves to win the presidency.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even if it were a veiled insult (which seems like a stretch for a dude whose brain is melting as we all watch) it's still the kind of weak bullshit democrats have been trying to pass off as political acumen for years now. and i don't think joe "when i become president all the republicans will become reasonable again" biden was trying to be subtly snide.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can I please have a Democrat nominee that calls out the GOP for their bullshit and is adamantly opposed to cooperating with them? Please.

I want someone to call them on their shit and STOP them.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Have you got any quotes from others saying this then? Just asking cause it's not a question I've personally seen rolled out for each American election.

McCain was one the more obvious ones with Lieberman, Kerry was rumored to even ask McCain once before picking Edwards. It was a common question to ask especially if you are the front runner. The only ones I don't remember getting that question is recent memory were Obama and Hilary Clinton. For Obama it wasn't widely speculated he would look to other parties because he was still trying to garner support of the establishment in his own thanks for beating Hilary in 2008, his youth was considered a liability which is why he took Biden because of his perceived Foreign Policy credentials. Hilary it was because every republican seemed to look at her like the devil so... it wasn't exactly a question that needed to be asked, but its a very common question, especially in transitional, between two terms presidential election. If I can find it I bet I can find a similar question being asked of Romney. The answer generally is always "If the right person came around I would consider it, but I can't think of anyone right now." Biden said as much.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why does Biden still run under the Democrat label?
Because basically his every policy is party-line by any stretch of the imagination. Standards have changed, but the policies and majority views of the democratic party have not.

I'm not commenting on whether that is right or wrong, just pointing out that there is a difference between what someone wants to define the party and what does define the party.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
SMH at this thread.

Why would he intentionally spark another "deplorables" situation?

Wrong. Democrats should be telling Republican voters that Republican politicians are not serving their best interests because the politicians are horrible corrupt deplorable crooks. See the difference?

Democratic weakness never ceases to surprise me.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Can I please have a Democrat nominee that calls out the GOP for their bullshit and is adamantly opposed to cooperating with them? Please.

You can't say that you're adamantly opposed to cooperating. Even if most dems would never agree with Republican proposals, they want to be lied to that this candidate is going to singlehandedly end partisanship and heal the nation.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Half the country is or leans Republican. They aren't all going to disappear no matter who wins the Presidency, and it's just not realistic to expect someone who wants to be the President of the United States to adopt an absolute public disdain for half the population.

This is nothing. This is standard. This is, again, a normal polite response to a question that is asked every Presidential election.

Half of the country is not Republican lol. There are more self-described Independents than Republican voters, and there has generally always been a higher number of Dems than Repubs as well.

To be honest a lot of posters claiming this is some sort of "gotcha" seem to be invoking the same energy the "Pelosi Clap" had. Biden has praised the Republicans time and time again, and continues to hope to work with them in the near future, despite Republicans literally never having interest in working with Democrats (and are currently investigating his own son lol). It's always appeasing or placating to their side, not the other way around.

Even if this was some random polite comment, it doesn't change the fact that Biden is incredibly naive about Republicans as a whole. Dems should focus on energizing their base and the 40% of voters who didn't even show up in 2016, not attempting to court people who are going to vote for Trump 99% of the time. It's like he wants to solidify the placement of the Overton Window in the US as right-leaning indefinitely.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
It's not that I can't think of one. It's that it's impossible for one to exist. It's a fundamentally different point.
The way his statement reads, he thinks the same. If the party wasn't a complete clusterfuck, it wouldn't be hard for him to consider just one person.

Nah, deplorables was about Republican voters, not politicians who have voting records that he can go after and platforms that he can point to as incompatible with his beliefs.
You don't think Republican voters would not take it personally? Hard to believe as they're a sensitive bunch.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
Really? That's surprising.

I already posted this happening with Trump, but look up "unity ticket." It happens every Presidential election.

McCain was one the more obvious ones with Lieberman, Kerry was rumored to even ask McCain once before picking Edwards. It was a common question to ask especially if you are the front runner. The only ones I don't remember getting that question is recent memory were Obama and Hilary Clinton. For Obama it wasn't widely speculated he would look to other parties because he was still trying to garner support of the establishment in his own thanks for beating Hilary in 2008, his youth was considered a liability which is why he took Biden because of his perceived Foreign Policy credentials. Hilary it was because every republican seemed to look at her like the devil so... it wasn't exactly a question that needed to be asked, but its a very common question, especially in transitional, between two terms presidential election. If I can find it I bet I can find a similar question being asked of Romney. The answer generally is always "If the right person came around I would consider it, but I can't think of anyone right now." Biden said as much.

Fair enough, it just seems like bait. But nevertheless my expectation would be to say no as the Republican party has been a shitshow for a long time.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
i disagree. I return to the comments he's made over the course of his political career, statements that wouldn't seem out of place when uttered by a klansman. I look at the hallmark legislation of his time in the Senate, a law that was the single worst to hit the black community since Jim Crow. I recall his most recent debate performances, where responses to questions sbout schooling or reparations are responded to with the disdain of someone who holds black people in contempt. Maybe we have two different definitions of white supremacy.
What comments are those?

The Crime bill was supported by the majority of the Congressional Black Caucus and other black politicians at the time. It has absolutely had a very real negative impact on the black community, but painting it's mistakes as a actual attempt to push white supremacy is not in-line with the actual historical situation.

You can disagree with his ideas, but paining him as a white supremacist seems hyperbolic.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Don't be silly. Centrists want unity! (With Republicans more than progressives). We should all join in the comfy middle and maintain the status quo of tax cuts for the wealthy, corporate handouts, mass incarceration, and bombing brown people abroad.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Do you acknowledge you were wrong about the half claim?

Given the Republican platform. What's a theoretical republican worth considering?
What? Half the country is Republican or Republican leaning. What am I wrong about?

And again, that's the point: The current Republican platform means there aren't any worth considering, which is what he said.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
You know why.

I don't want Biden as the nom but this shit is tiring. This is a literal nothing story.

Yeah, basically. I refuse to believe people are truly this dense, rather politics just brings out the worst in people. They predispose themselves to come away with whatever interpretation fits their biases best. The spirit of this answer from Biden was obviously that he is open minded, but the way the current Republican party is he can't think of anyone. This is actual a dig at Republicans. But... if you already hate Biden and think centrism is code for Republican, then this just confirms your suspicions.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong. Democrats should be telling Republican voters that Republican politicians are not serving their best interests because the politicians are horrible corrupt deplorable crooks. See the difference?

Democratic weakness never ceases to surprise me.
idk

Just doesn't seem realistic that Democrats would go against what they preach; bringing Americans together and unity and stuff.

And I don't see what it would accomplish. It's not like I believe the republicans who say not to trust Dems or that they're evil. Why would any Republican voter change his mind if a Dem front runner says GOP ain't shit? And what do you expect them to do about it, realistically? I just don't see the benefit.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What? Half the country is Republican or Republican leaning. What am I wrong about?

And again, that's the point: The current Republican platform means there aren't any worth considering, which is what he said.

This is from last year, but relevant:

Only a quarter of the country identifies as Republican. There are two reasons the party keeps winning anyway.

The general understanding of the American electorate is that it's about a 50-50 split, half Democrat and half Republican. There are third parties, of course, but we assume that about half the country belongs to one of the two parties.

That's not the case. More Americans now identify as independents than as members of either political party, according to June data from Gallup. In fact, only about a quarter of the country identifies as Republican, and about 3 in 10 identify as Democrats.

That holds across multiple polls. The General Social Survey shows the long-term trend for membership in each party. Data from Pew Research Center has annual estimates since the early 1990s. Gallup has monthly estimates since 2004.

Gallup has more recent poll data that still remains similar to this as well.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is from last year, but relevant:

Only a quarter of the country identifies as Republican. There are two reasons the party keeps winning anyway.

Gallup has more recent poll data that still remains similar to this as well.
That polling data supports what I said:

Gallup's numbers, though, suggest that the split in the country is about 47-42, rather than 50-50, with the Democrats holding a slight lead when including independents who lean toward one party or the other.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Ok so you're either goal post moving (or clarifying?) To include Republican leaning, still onlu 44%

I don't agree with the apologetics. Sorry.
What was a previous Republican platform that would make for a suitable VP today? Since the current platform is the issue. Give me a profile of this theoretical republican.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That polling data supports what I said:

Wouldn't it be 50/50 then? Your direct quote:

Half the country is Republican or Republican leaning.

The article specifically states this isn't the case.

The general understanding of the American electorate is that it's about a 50-50 split, half Democrat and half Republican. There are third parties, of course, but we assume that about half the country belongs to one of the two parties.

That's not the case. More Americans now identify as independents than as members of either political party, according to June data from Gallup. In fact, only about a quarter of the country identifies as Republican, and about 3 in 10 identify as Democrats.

There are fewer Republicans than Democrats, by defintion. If Dems energize their base and actively work towards supporting policies that Democrats want as opposed to some half-assed middle of the road bullshit that appeals to no one (considering Rs won't bother voting for Democratic candidates as-is), then they might actually have a chance.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
idk

Just doesn't seem realistic that Democrats would go against what they preach; bringing Americans together and unity and stuff.

And I don't see what it would accomplish. It's not like I believe the republicans who say not to trust Dems or that they're evil. Why would any Republican voter change his mind if a Dem front runner says GOP ain't shit? And what do you expect them to do about it, realistically? I just don't see the benefit.

I'm having a hard time understanding what your point is.

If the facts are on your side, you make your case. I sense a strange both sides kinda narrative in your post. Both sides are not equally legitimate

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

There are fewer Republicans than Democrats, by defintion. If Dems energize their base and actively work towards supporting policies that Democrats want as opposed to some half-assed middle of the road bullshit that appeals to no one (considering Rs won't bother voting for Democratic candidates as-is), then they might actually have a chance.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

A lesson Democrats have yet to learn.
(Not accidentally)

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
The hate boner era has on biden is showing as usual

will be fun to see the reactions once he's chosen as the nom.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Ok so you're either goal post moving (or clarifying?) To include Republican leaning, still onlu 44%

I don't agree with the apologetics. Sorry.
What was a previous Republican platform that would make for a suitable VP today? Since the current platform is the issue. Give me a profile of this theoretical republican.
Not moving goal posts or clarifying. My first post on the subject from this thread:

Half the country is or leans Republican. They aren't all going to disappear no matter who wins the Presidency, and it's just not realistic to expect someone who wants to be the President of the United States to adopt an absolute public disdain for half the population.

This is nothing. This is standard. This is, again, a normal polite response to a question that is asked every Presidential election.

So your issue is the missing 8%? Or only 5% between Democrats and Republicans?

That seems incredibly pedantic.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The hate boner era has on biden is showing as usual

will be fun to see the reactions once he's chosen as the nom.

Why will you find that fun?
People concerned about Biden whether because they're afraid he's a horrible candidate himself or because he'll lose to trump don't have legitimate concerns??

Sorry, but kinda gross attitude.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
In politics 5% is far from pedantic.... :/
It's huge.
I'm not running an election, I'm making a point about the general makeup of the population of the United States, in the context of "these people exist, there are a lot of them, and we can't pretend that's not the case."

Come on, you know you are being silly here.

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
What comments are those?

The Crime bill was supported by the majority of the Congressional Black Caucus and other black politicians at the time. It has absolutely had a very real negative impact on the black community, but painting it's mistakes as a actual attempt to push white supremacy is not in-line with the actual historical situation.

You can disagree with his ideas, but paining him as a white supremacist seems hyperbolic.
This is one:

"I don't feel responsible for the sins of my father and grandfather. I feel responsible for what the situation is today, for the sins of my own generation, and I'll be damned if I feel responsible to pay for what happened 300 years ago.
There are several others. As well, more recently, he has made problematic statements during the debates: In September, responding to a question about the quote above, he meandered with a barely coherent criticism of black parenting. If he's not a white supremacist, the term no longer has meaning. Also, the Congressional Black Caucus hasn't really done anything of note for black America. In the past year, it has been more concerned with immigration reform than helping to implement laws that hold police accountable for their murder of innocent black men, women and children. Black people don't take the CBC seriously.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

We did, her name was Hillary Clinton. She said straight-up that half of Trump's supporters were trash (still a generous estimate) and got reamed for it, despite the GOP pulling their "REAL America" bullshit constantly.

Not even Trump unilaterally rules out working with Democrats, no one wants to look uncooperative. Sanders loves bragging about the VA bill he wrote with John McCain.

Suggesting he'd pick a Republican VP maybe goes a step beyond that, but Biden immediately contradicted himself. He also said in the last debate his solution to overcoming GOP obstructionism would be to beat them in elections, which is the only real answer.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Why will you find that fun?
People concerned about Biden whether because they're afraid he's a horrible candidate himself or because he'll lose to trump don't have legitimate concerns??

Sorry, but kinda gross attitude.

But he's not a horrible candidate, you're twisting a lot of what he says to make him horrible.

Case in point, this very thread.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is one:

There are several others. As well, more recently, he has made problematic statements during the debates: In September, responding to a question about the quote above, he meandered with a barely coherent criticism of black parenting. If he's not a white supremacist, the term no longer has meaning. Also, the Congressional Black Caucus hasn't really done anything of note for black America. In the past year, it has been more concerned with immigration reform than helping to implement laws that hold police accountable for their murder of innocent black men, women and children. Black people don't take the CBC seriously.

If black voters don't take the CBC seriously, then how come they keep on winning easily in their districts, and face basically zero successful primary challenges?

It's probably because the views of actual African American voters are a lot closer to those congresspeople than the views of left-wing African American activists on Twitter. If you read and listen to some left wing activist on Twitter, you probably wouldn't be aware that Obama still has basically a 100% approval rating among actual African American Democratic voters.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
He shouldn't even consider it. He only wants to run one term. The Vice President breaks ties in the Senate, and the Democrats will at best have a slim majority.

Biden is an awful candidate.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is one:

I think pulling out a quote from 45 years ago that is somewhat problematic is kinda a reach, but yeah, it's an ugly quote and it makes sense that it bother you. It bothers me too.

I get that you don't like him, and I think there are perfectly reasonable reasons not to. I just think then entire discourse about Biden has turned him into some sort of a monster that just isn't supported by reality.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not running an election, I'm making a point about the general makeup of the population of the United States, in the context of "these people exist, there are a lot of them, and we can't pretend that's not the case."

Come on, you know you are being silly here.

I'll just pretend you said "about half of the country is Republican leaning" instead of "half of the country is Republican" and we can move on.

IMO it would have been easier for you to clarify rather than double down on defending demonstrably inaccurate statements.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think pulling out a quote from 45 years ago that is somewhat problematic is kinda a reach, but yeah, it's an ugly quote.

I get that you don't like him, and I think there are perfectly reasonable reasons not to. I just think then entire discourse about Biden has turned him into some sort of a monster that just isn't supported by reality.

How about a horrible candidate instead of monster?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'll just pretend you said "about half of the country is Republican leaning" instead of "half of the country is Republican" and we can move on.

IMO it would have been easier for you to clarify rather than double down on defending demonstrably inaccurate statements.
Goose, I quoted my post. I did say "Half the country is or leans Republican."

In fact, I said it several times.

I don't know what you're doing, but I'm not engaging with it any more.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time understanding what your point is.

If the facts are on your side, you make your case. I sense a strange both sides kinda narrative in your post. Both sides are not equally legitimate
You sense wrong.

My point is if Biden said what you wanted (All repubs are shit. I would never consider working with them. Don't vote for them) to republican voters, why would a single one give any thought to his words? They aren't going to see the "light". And republican voters no longer operate on facts. So what good would it do other than energize people on the left?

Again, if Biden said what you wanted him to say, I don't see a net benefit. In fact, I think it would cause more Republican voters to leave their house and vote for Trump again. I freely admit I could be wrong, but nothing you've said has convinced me otherwise.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden will nominate a Republican-Lite to the Supreme Court and people will be talking up how smart of a play it was.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Politician's gonna say what they need to in order to win. I don't like it but many do.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You sense wrong.

My point is if Biden said what you wanted (All repubs are shit. I would never consider working with them. Don't vote for them) to republican voters, why would a single one give any thought to his words? They aren't going to see the "light". And republican voters no longer operate on facts. So what good would it do other than energize people on the left?

Again, if Biden said what you wanted him to say, I don't see a net benefit. In fact, I think it would cause more Republican voters to leave their house and vote for Trump again. I freely admit I could be wrong, but nothing you've said has convinced me otherwise.
In addition to encouraging reps to vote for Trump it would also draw ire from Reps who consider themselves independent. A ton of reps left the party and consider themselves indies now.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Joe Biden will nominate a Republican-Lite to the Supreme Court and people will be talking up how smart of a play it was.

... you do realize how we got Gorsuch and Kavanaugh right? Not talking about how they got to be supreme court justices but how they were named to be nominated. Biden and his candidacy is being lead by good deal of Obama staff and some of his old Campaign staff, he must have gottten to know some of those people as his VP as well which means his legal counsel will be filled with democratic lawyers and advisors who in the end will likely put the names up for consideration. He isn't a god or even a king, something Trump continues to fail to realize. He is supported by a ton of people all who have a role and job to play, we will be fine.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
So exhausted hearing about how my interests and values don't matter and centrists need to be coddled all day every day and the slightest statement that isn't 100% milqtoast will make them vote Trump so every single thing needs to revolve around them. A Republican VP would be a TERRIBLE idea, I don't want the nominee even talking about it as a hypothetical.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

In the middle of a much more conservative time, Bill Clinton nominated Breyer and Ginsburg.

I realize you have to invent reasons to hate a guy despite actual plenty of policy reasons to oppose him, but there's zero reason or evidence to think Biden would put forth a right-leaning judge on the Court.

Status
Not open for further replies.