• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm all for threads that rag on Grandpa Handsy but this seems like a non-answer derived to generate outrage more than substantive discussion. It's not like he's considering a Republican running mate here. This is purely a hypothetical that won't amount to anything.

Why do people always post these clickbait threads on biden?

He literally said what the title reflects lmao. It's not like he doesn't have a pattern of pandering to the GOP.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are people actually insane? This is the only valid response. Not at least considering a republican candidate is mindless us vs them tribalism that seriously harms how the government is supposed to run. In fact, it's what republicans do now and is what caused it to become such a polarized party relative to the democrats.

why would anybody vote for him in the primary if he's entertaining the idea of putting a republican in the White House again

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
He literally said what the title reflects lmao. It's not like he doesn't have a pattern of pandering to the GOP.
I'm not a biden fan and not voting him in the primary, I just don't like what is borderline stooping to gop primary tactics. Things should be clearcut laid out and not resorting to mindgames.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This is ridiculously mundane. Politicians have been asked this question for hundreds of years, and this is the answer they almost always give.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
why would anybody vote for him in the primary if he's entertaining the idea of putting a republican in the White House again

He's not seriously entertaining it, he answered a hypothetical with the most open-ended answer possible that has maximum appeal to independent voters while not really promising a damn thing.

Biggavell

Banned
Dec 26, 2019
Bernie and Warren have to take the gloves off and begin slamming Biden. At this point, it may take a public retraction of support by Obama. Either way, smarten up, Democrats. I won't vote for Biden if he's the nominee, and I'm not alone.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
bingo, only a moron wouldn't at least consider it.

What? Only a moron would take the idea of running with a member of your main opposition seriously. That's electoral poison in so many countries, and that's before we get to the fact that the Dems and GOP are diametrically opposed to each other in policy rather than just being the 2 biggest parties.

He said he'd "consider" it. Don't see the big deal.

It'd honestly do more damage to US democracy than Trump's campaign did, turning it into a one-party state. To even pretend to entertain it should be enough to rule him out.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Only a moron would take the idea of running with a member of your main opposition seriously. That's electoral poison in so many countries, and that's before we get to the fact that the Dems and GOP are diametrically opposed to each other in policy rather than just being the 2 biggest parties.

considering something is leagues away from doing it. all considering something means is that you're not being rash in your thinking.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

It'd honestly do more damage to US democracy than Trump's campaign did, turning it into a one-party state. To even pretend to entertain it should be enough to rule him out.
What?

It's called a Unity ticket, it's existed in the US before and in other nations today.

It's not going to happen and Biden isn't considering it, but the hyperbole is out of hand.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
has anybody asked the question to warren or sanders?

Do you really expect Biden to say "to a man, the cowards and lickspittles that make up the modern Republican party need to be fired into the sun" weeks before the impeachment trial for the current president?

Even Bernie wouldn't say that (well, Bernie isn't a Democrat really but that's besides the point), because part of Bernie's target demo is "working class" voters in red states.

Edit: and considering the women that Biden has openly floated for the position - Yates, Abrams, Shaheen, Hassan - the idea that he would pick a Republican is pretty far-fetched.

alexlf

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017

Evaluating candidates based on their actual ideals and policy is extremely important to prevent and reduce the massive divide between the republicans and the democrats, and to allow the government to function as intended. And no, I don't mean the political divide, I mean the false social one where each side paints the other as the ultimate evil of which OUR party must do the complete opposite to stop. There are many policies and practices republicans take part in that are abhorrent and as far as I know and there isn't one I'd want anywhere near the white house (as Biden says). At least being able to consider and understand your opponents real view, not some imaginary strawman that's increasingly conjured up about each party every year, is beyond extremely important.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Bernie and Warren have to take the gloves off and begin slamming Biden. At this point, it may take a public retraction of support by Obama. Either way, smarten up, Democrats. I won't vote for Biden if he's the nominee, and I'm not alone.
4 more years of a Trump presidency will irreparably damage the nation. You're either short-sighted or just don't care about America.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you really expect Biden to say "to a man, the cowards and lickspittles that make up the modern Republican party need to be fired into the sun" weeks before the impeachment trial for the current president?

Even Bernie wouldn't say that (well, Bernie isn't a Democrat really but that's besides the point), because part of Bernie's target demo is "working class" voters in red states.

no I don't expect it from Biden because I think he would genuinely entertain the idea

I asked about warren and sanders cause I don't think they would genuinely give a crap answer like Biden did

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Are people seriously getting on Biden's case for what amounts to political non answer designed around appealing independents? For gods sake I took it as shade against the current crop of republicans that he couldn't name one he would accept to be his running mate, and not that he was against 'generic' republican candidate. He would be stupid, politically, not to at least say he would be willing to work with people if it was the right choice, he more or less said there isn't one to be found in the republican party at the moment.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sigh.

He gave a polite answer to an off the cuff question, he's not entertaining the idea of a unity ticket.

He could have, and should have, just said "no".

But this is a guy who thinks Trump disappearing from office will remove a spell placed on everyone with an (R) next to their names.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys should work for Breitbart.

Telling people to smarten up while also saying you won't vote if he's the nominee.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
A former Republican, obviously!

10-warren-candidatepage-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.jpg

Yuks aside, no, Biden is not going to pick a Republican.

I won't vote for Biden if he's the nominee, and I'm not alone.
Disgusting.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lincoln did this once.

Literally changed the winner of the Civil War from the US to the Confederacy.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Evaluating candidates based on their actual ideals and policy is extremely important to prevent and reduce the massive divide between the republicans and the democrats, and to allow the government to function as intended. And no, I don't mean the political divide, I mean the false social one where each side paints the other as the ultimate evil of which OUR party must do the complete opposite to stop. There are many policies and practices republicans take part in that are abhorrent and as far as I know and there isn't one I'd want anywhere near the white house (as Biden says). At least being able to consider and understand your opponents real view, not some imaginary strawman that's increasingly conjured up about each party every year, is beyond extremely important.

nobody cares about your cape for the GOP. please save the theatrics.

Sigh.

He gave a polite answer to an off the cuff question, he's not entertaining the idea of a unity ticket.

If it was anybody but Biden I would believe you but the man has a hard-on for the GOP. Sorry for taking him seriously

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
LOL usual suspects being Republican marks in this thread. Even with the clickbaity title, that's WHAT you got out of it?

Not that he was insulting Republicans in the same headline?

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is a different take, that's for sure. His statement does not convince me he's seriously considering this. He's trying to stoke the "bring everyone together" angle and nothing more.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
He becomes incapacitated or croaks and that person becomes president. I can't imagine the GOP post-Trump not still producing anyone who isn't some form of trash so that's going to be a hard pass for me.
Biden actually seems to be saying the same thing in a backhanded way.

I'm not a fan of his kind of politics but I get what he's doing. He's disarming the enthusiasm of the GOP base by not being openly hostile to them. Hillary told the truth and called them deplorables in 2016 and all that accomplished was rallying the moderate Republicans to unite with the true garbage against her. He's not going to get a lot, if any, GOP crossover votes with this schtick but he may keep Trump voters home on election day if they don't see Biden as the evil threat the other Democratic candidates are painted to be.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
This is a different take, that's for sure. His statement does not convince me he's seriously considering this. He's trying to stoke the "bring everyone together" angle and nothing more.

Seriously, its not rocket science people. This is the political game, and he has been a player of it for 40 years+. I have some issues with his statements in the past but not this one, I would expect ANY primary candidate to make a similar statement if they have any hope of winning the GE.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Any Republican moderate enough for a ticket would be better off running in more local elections anyhow.

The only member I could possibly think of that I'd be even sort of ok with would be Jon Huntsman Jr. and he's running for governor in Utah.

Not that he will as this is just him trying to appeal to moderates and independants without actually doing anything. I suspect he'd pick someone who is uncontroversial in a swing state and able to increase the minority or women output on his ticket.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
He could have, and should have, just said "no".

But this is a guy who thinks Trump disappearing from office will remove a spell placed on everyone with an (R) next to their names.
Half the country is or leans Republican. They aren't all going to disappear no matter who wins the Presidency, and it's just not realistic to expect someone who wants to be the President of the United States to adopt an absolute public disdain for half the population.

This is nothing. This is standard. This is, again, a normal polite response to a question that is asked every Presidential election.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean. "Consider" is basically meaningless. Part of his whole appeal is that there's a glimmer of hope for working with Republicans. This is just another way of highlighting it.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay... So, someone asked him if he would be a hard-line ideologue and refuse to even think that someone from the opposing political party was worth anything. That's what the question meant.

He says that as of right now, he can't think of a single fucking person and you're getting on him for saying that he would consider someone from the GOP if they were any good?

.... This is going to be 2016 all over again, isn't it?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
It's an answer so completely fine as to be boring. Sorry he hasn't called for every elected Republican to be stripped of their offices and imprisoned.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Biden actually seems to be saying the same thing in a backhanded way.

I'm not a fan of his kind of politics but I get what he's doing. He's disarming the enthusiasm of the GOP base by not being openly hostile to them. Hillary told the truth and called them deplorables in 2016 and all that accomplished was rallying the moderate Republicans to unite with the true garbage against her. He's not going to get a lot, if any, GOP crossover votes with this schtick but he may keep Trump voters home on election day if they don't see Biden as the evil threat the other Democratic candidates are painted to be.
Worth noting that while Trump's support is somewhat fixed in general polls against Warren, Sanders, etc. it does actually drop a point or two against Biden.

The number of Republican voters who would cross over for Biden is probably fairly minimal overall, but as we saw in 2016, every vote counts. Clinton only needed to do half a point better in the three closest states to win.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, its not rocket science people. This is the political game, and he has been a player of it for 40 years+. I have some issues with his statements in the past but not this one, I would expect ANY primary candidate to make a similar statement if they have any hope of winning the GE.

Really, do you think Trump would say that he'd consider a Democrat as a VP? I mean, he has a hope of winning the GE. Wishy washy bullshit is the achilles heal of the Democratic party.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I really don't like Biden, but he's makin fun of the GOP here. He'd have to be completely mad to actually consider that a possibility.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What?

It's called a Unity ticket, it's existed in the US before and in other nations today.

It's not going to happen and Biden isn't considering it, but the hyperbole is out of hand.

It last existed in 1864, after a civil war, where bridging gaps was necessary to stop mass bloodshed.

Saying there's so little difference between you and your opposition that you could share the same platform means you're not worth voting for

considering something is leagues away from doing it. all considering something means is that you're not being rash in your thinking.

Considering something means being open to the possibility of doing it. If you say you'd consider replacing toilet paper with sandpaper, it doesn't mean you're a thoughtful non-reactionary individual, it means you're an idiot.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Really, do you think Trump would say that he'd consider a Democrat as a VP? I mean, he has a hope of winning the GE. Wishy washy bullshit is the achilles heal of the Democratic party.

Yes? He has made similar statements in the past. I don't expect the current Trump to do it obviously, but he is also a terrible politician and hopefully should be on the way out the door in part because of it (the most minimal part). Again this is not a statement of if he is going to pick a republican for the ticket, he won't, he never will, but he can't say that there isn't a hypotheical case where he might never pick one, he is saying there isn't a republican he can name right now who he would support for such an endeavor and that should be what speaks volumes, not what everyone else in here seems to be latching on to, i actually thought the way he said it was politically clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.