• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Thank Science.

www.nbcnews.com

Biden announces Science and Technology Policy director, elevates position to Cabinet-level

President-elect Joe Biden will make his final Cabinet announcement on Saturday when he names his top science adviser and director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy.

WASHINGTON — President-elect Joe Biden will be announcing one of the last major department heads on Saturday, highlighting his campaign refrain to prioritize "science over fiction."

Biden will name Dr. Eric Lander to serve as his top science adviser and will be elevating Lander's position as director of the Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) to a Cabinet rank position for the first time.

During the Saturday rollout of his science team, Biden will also announce he is keeping Dr. Francis Collins as the director of the National Institutes of Health. Collins was first appointed by former President Obama in 2009.

Lander is an acclaimed mathematician and biologist who led the Human Genome Project, and now serves as director of the Broad Institute at Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The Biden transition team says Lander will lead a team focused on tackling challenges from Covid-19 to climate change, racial justice and the economic downturn.

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah it's common sense.

Also with the rise of anti-science and anti-intellectual sentiment in this country, we really need someone pushing policy to fight it.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
There was a reason why Scientific American decided to do a presidential endorsement for the first time in its history. There was a very concerning erosion of science at the head of the government during the Trump administration and it will be good to see Biden bringing science back to the table.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
No idea on the pick, but that's awesome it's getting a cabinet position.

Nov 18, 2020
"Biden further outlined the questions he wants Lander's team to address in a letter to Lander: What lessons can be drawn from the pandemic about how to better prepare for addressing health challenges in the future; how scientific breakthroughs can be harnessed to address climate change while also promoting economic growth; how the United States can maintain an advantage in developing new technologies over other nations like China; how to ensure scientific advances benefit all Americans; and how to promote science and technology education in America. "

I'm really happy about the multi-faceted climate change focus from this administration. FINALLY we are getting real attention placed on how to solve it, and not just throwaway platitudes. Climate change is the biggest existential crisis of our time, potentially leading to our grandchildren facing the apocalypse, and little has been done on a systemic level to address it. If anything, we've accelerated our demise these past four years.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Now we can finally put some federal resources into figuring out why bikes don't fall over. About time.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Not, not bad at all. It's good having science in their cabinet. Should have been done decades ago.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure people will find a reason to complain soon enough... But I'm impressed with what his administration has done already. I think he realizes that he has a small window to get things done and he needs to capitalize on it.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Awesome.

giphy.gif

and then when a pro-science bit of legislature comes around he could influence people to support the

BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

Am I missing something? Biden did pick Dr. Eric Lander already didn't he?

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
I almost want to cry reading things like this. It's saddening to feel a sense of profound and existential relief, if not for a short while, just because of a new president.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's wild that a position like this never existed before. Just shows how backwards this country has always been in regard to science. Hopefully this sets a standard going forward.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
No idea on the pick, but that's awesome it's getting a cabinet position.

He was co-chair of this position during the Obama years. Founding director of the Broad Institute. Worked on the Human Genome project. He's also a great teacher (he taught my intro Bio class at MIT). He's definitely a great pick for the position as he has significant administrative experience.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
He was co-chair of this position during the Obama years. Founding director of the Broad Institute. Worked on the Human Genome project. He's also a great teacher (he taught my intro Bio class at MIT). He's definitely a great pick for the position as he has significant administrative experience.
So some sort of nerd, huh?

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Well if science can be a cabinet position, then why shouldn't we equally have a traditional moral values cabinet and a second amendment cabinet! I also demand a new kitchen cabinet.

Seriously though this is great news.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Its about fucking time a science lead for the country was a cabinet position involved at all levels of decision making on policy.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
wait science is important to shape policy during an international pandemic and an ever growing incline in climate change?! who would've thought....

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Well if science can be a cabinet position, then why shouldn't we equally have a traditional moral values cabinet and a second amendment cabinet! I also demand a new kitchen cabinet.

Seriously though this is great news.

if I have salt in the kitchen then that means I have science in my cabinet too right?