• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
LjgXapj.png

www.nytimes.com

Biden Has a Peloton Bike. That Raises Issues at the White House. (Published 2021)

It doesn’t exactly comport with his “regular Joe from Scranton” persona, but beyond the politics of it, the bike could present cybersecurity risks.

President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr. moves into the White House on Wednesday facing many weighty issues: a global pandemic. A crushing recession. Racial injustice. Right-wing extremism.

But Mr. Biden's personal weight-control and exercise regimen will face a different kind of burning question: Can he bring his Peloton bike with him?
The answer, cybersecurity experts say, is yes. Sort of. But more on that later.

A Peloton, for the uninitiated, is part indoor stationary bike, part social media network. The bikes are expensive — upward of $2,500 apiece — and have tablets attached, enabling riders to livestream or take on-demand classes and communicate with one another. Each rider has a "leader board name," a unique identifier posted on the screen alongside "output," a measure of how hard the rider is working.

When Mr. Biden was cloistered during the coronavirus surge this spring, The New York Times reported that he began each day "with a workout in an upstairs gym that contains a Peloton bike, weights and a treadmill." The Biden team did not respond to requests for comment, but a person close to the president-elect said that Mr. Biden and his wife, Jill Biden, engage in regular morning negotiations over who gets to ride first.

But the Peloton tablets have built-in cameras and microphones that allow users to see and hear one another if they choose, and for Mr. Biden, therein lies the rub. The last thing the C.I.A. wants is the Russians and the Chinese peering or listening into the White House gymnasium. Last week, Popular Mechanics warned about the security risk under the headline "Why Joe Biden Can't Bring His Peloton to the White House."

Man, I missed shit like this the last four years.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
We're back to tan suits and Dijon mustard scandals, nature is healing

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Sorry, NYT, it's shit like this why I open every one of your articles in incognito mode so I don't have to pay.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All we need is a picture of him using it while wearing a tan suit and the GoP will file impeachment proceedings.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's like $2000. And he'll be able to use it from home, so Secret Service doesn't have to cost a million dollars accompanying him to, say, go play golf.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
I think it might even be more insulting to the people of Scranton than it is of Joe.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
The new york times is such a dogshit paper. I'm already tired of the media pearl clutching about broken norms over the next 4 years after they spent the last 4 normalizing insanity.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
The Russians are going to find out that Biden rides exclusively to Alex Toussaint's hip-hop rides.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Surely there's a way to secure the bike so it doesn't present cybersecurity issues?

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Trump used his personal Twitter account and personal phone to go on unhinged Twitter rants that millions could see, and probably sent god knows how many texts to personal contacts that may have contained classified information. ....I think White House security will be able to manage Biden's Peloton.

Jul 1, 2020
With the Bike running Android 7.0 and a security patch from like 3 years ago yeah the security concerns are somewhat justified. They could also just take the tablet off of the bike or work with Peloton on a solution. The camera and mic aren't required for any of the core functionality.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Listen, I'm sure provisioning an isolated SSID and VLAN for the president's fucking exercise bike is the least of whitehouse IT security's concerns. Get a custom contract with Peloton and MITM/analyze the Bike's telemetry data if it's that big of a concern. Hell, Biden probably has enough pull to get some sort of on-site content / private server going. Peloton would make back the costs in positive PR alone.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Biden fucked up the Anita Hill hearing? Or when he was casually racist for years?

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
With the Bike running Android 7.0 and a security patch from like 3 years ago yeah the security concerns are somewhat justified. They could also just take the tablet off of the bike or work with Peloton on a solution. The camera and mic aren't required for any of the core functionality.
The security folks will literally just disconnect the camera and mic and move on with their day. It'll be put on a wifi network without access to anything remotely sensitive. This is such a fucking non-story.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even if the bike as is is a problem I find it hard to believe that modding it so that those problems no longer apply would be impossible. And it'd almost certainly be way cheaper than any sort of workout system that'd require him to take secret service with him outside the white house