• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Black people have been hearing this since before we had voting rights.

Literal centuries of being told to wait, and enough elections where principles are thrown away when they're convenient (including this one), and I'm starting to think that Democrats and their philosophical ilk aren't actually after minority liberation and equality, but are after a comfortable status quo where oppression is simply ignorable.
And black people now have voting rights. Incremental change is still change. If we lived in a just world a lot more would be done, I don't disagree, but the need for those reforms underscore just how far we are from a just world.

Also most white people aren't after minority liberation and equality and instead just want a comfortable status quo. But the Democratic party apparatus is in the hands of whomever can seize it. Voting for Dems isn't in the best interests of minorities because doing so will convince white Dems to commit to meaningful action improving systemic oppression and inequality. Voting for Dems is in the best interests of minorities because the party already includes more minorities in the seats of power, is more willing to at least consider minorities for major seats, and most importantly is the one with the smallest entrenched white monolith of voters and therefore the one most easily taken over via insurgent movements. Its either/or in a first past the post system.

Minorities voting for Biden has value for minority interests the same way unions voting for Biden has value for unions. Does any pro-labor person really think Biden is going to just scrub neoliberal economic policy? No, but Biden as POTUS will give more power to pro-labor congresspeople and give labor rights groups a bigger megaphone to speak to both politicians and to the public. Together those two facts can begin to change the narrative.

Biden (and the current Dem party as a whole) is a semi-tolerant host for progressive causes, giving them a way into the power structure, even if inch by inch. That doesn't mean direct action isn't still required. I'd argue that protests and similar will be more important under a Biden administration as then it might actually drive policy reform, since they would be more politically damaging to Biden than they are to Trump.

This of course assumes that everything isn't just inherently fucked, but if thats the case nihilism was the right answer and we're all fools for ever thinking otherwise.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I am sure the white suburban moderates will be a reliable coalition in the Democrat Party going forward.

hmm, i don't think relying on minority voters seals the deal for any politician, Clinton basically got lopped off by white voters despite strong Hispanic support. Dems won in 2018 off the back of the suburbs but the suburbs are more diverse now.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
hmm, i don't think relying on minority voters seals the deal for any politician, Clinton basically got lopped off by white voters despite strong Hispanic support. Dems won in 2018 off the back of the suburbs but the suburbs are more diverse now.

And you think that tradeoff is worth burning their most reliable support? The minorities the Dem party supposedly fights for?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
this is florida, which doesn't mean much for anywhere that's not florida... and seniors going for biden will mean way more than trump doing better than expected with some minorities.

not to belittle florida but dems got their heartsbroken in florida in 2018 and it was still a wave election everywhere else. remember that

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And black people now have voting rights. Incremental change is still change. If we lived in a just world a lot more would be done, I don't disagree, but the need for those reforms underscore just how far we are from a just world.

Also most white people aren't after minority liberation and equality and instead just want a comfortable status quo. But the Democratic party apparatus is in the hands of whomever can seize it. Voting for Dems isn't in the best interests of minorities because doing so will convince white Dems to commit to meaningful action improving systemic oppression and inequality. Voting for Dems is in the best interests of minorities because the party already includes more minorities in the seats of power, is more willing to at least consider minorities for major seats, and most importantly is the one with the smallest entrenched white monolith of voters and therefore the one most easily taken over via insurgent movements. Its either/or in a first past the post system.

Minorities voting for Biden has value for minority interests the same way unions voting for Biden has value for unions. Does any pro-labor person really think Biden is going to just scrub neoliberal economic policy? No, but Biden as POTUS will give more power to pro-labor congresspeople and give labor rights groups a bigger megaphone to speak to both politicians and to the public. Together those two facts can begin to change the narrative.

Biden (and the current Dem party as a whole) is a semi-tolerant host for progressive causes, giving them a way into the power structure, even if inch by inch. That doesn't mean direct action isn't still required. I'd argue that protests and similar will be more important under a Biden administration as then it might actually drive policy reform, since they would be more politically damaging to Biden than they are to Trump.

This of course assumes that everything isn't just inherently fucked, but if thats the case nihilism was the right answer and we're all fools for ever thinking otherwise.
There's no reason to be satisfied with incremental change when A.) we have seen and are seeing the levers pulled much faster in other countries, with Chile being the most recent example, and B.) We don't have the leeway to let white supremacy grind the gears to a crawl with climate change on the way. Like, covid has exposed that our inability to enact meaningful change in a reasonable amount of time while catering to white feelings to the detriment of even your own power is actively costs thousands of lives.

Also, minorities being in seats of power is nonetheless dependent upon those minorities' viewpoints. Of the minority politicians that are Democrats, not all of them are on a similar philosophical plane as AOC. Like, you think progressive firebrands like me give the slightest fuck about Cory Booker? I've heard this before as well, that Democrats being in power allows progressives the leeway to make change. This doesn't normally bare out- turns out that when people gain power as a matter of a lack of meaningful choice, there's no incentive for them to actually do much in the way of compromising with progressives. And when those progressives want to leave the table, they're threatened by their so-called allies with four years of a Republican. Whole system is a fucking farce if you ask me.

Now, I don't think things are inherently fucked. I'm just painfully aware that I will not get a civil America in my lifetime, and it's this truth that breeds apathy. Like, yeah, I voted for Biden. But I really don't give a fuck anymore, because in 4 years we'll be doing this song and dance all over again.

Liberals wonder why black and brown folks don't show up, or even might vote Republican. It's because they are incapable of fighting for a better future so much as they are the sustaining of the status quo, and they do it with such zeal and consistency only a fool would think it's accidental.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
well a significant part of the article's based on a Florida Dem operative, so

Probably trying to feign concern to boost turnout even further and pick up more downticket seats.

Bottom line is turnout is spectacular and that's a great sign.

It's been pretty obvious for a while that Trump would need depressed participation or outright election fraud this time around.

The 'left' is even more motivated than during the blue wave of 2018. Notably.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017

"What is it that you wanted me to reconcile myself to. I was born here more than 60 years ago. I'm not going to live another 60 years. You always told me that it's going to take time.

It's taken my father's time, my mother's time, my uncle's time, my brothers' and my sisters' time, my nieces and my nephew's time. How much time do you want for your progress?" - James Baldwin

I think the problem with takes like these especially is that they're exhausting. They forget that minorities are real people with real material interests who have been told by Democrats again and again to hurry up and wait, meanwhile they get older, problems don't change and every two and four years they're asked to show up and shut up and get hype for a slow incrementalism that changes little about our material interests and needs. I'm not even black, just a Jewish queer person, and I'm exhausted. I can't imagine how tiring it must be for black and brown folx.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There's no reason to be satisfied with incremental change when A.) we have seen and are seeing the levers pulled much faster in other countries, with Chile being the most recent example, and B.) We don't have the leeway to let white supremacy grind the gears to a crawl with climate change on the way. Like, covid has exposed that our inability to enact meaningful change in a reasonable amount of time while catering to white feelings to the detriment of even your own power is actively costs thousands of lives.

Also, minorities being in seats of power is nonetheless dependent upon those minorities' viewpoints. Of the minority politicians that are Democrats, not all of them are on a similar philosophical plane as AOC. Like, you think progressive firebrands like me give the slightest fuck about Cory Booker? I've heard this before as well, that Democrats being in power allows progressives the leeway to make change. This doesn't normally bare out- turns out that when people gain power as a matter of a lack of meaningful choice, there's no incentive for them to actually do much in the way of compromising with progressives. And when those progressives want to leave the table, they're threatened by their so-called allies with four years of a Republican. Whole system is a fucking farce if you ask me.

Now, I don't think things are inherently fucked. I'm just painfully aware that I will not get a civil America in my lifetime, and it's this truth that breeds apathy. Like, yeah, I voted for Biden. But I really don't give a fuck anymore, because in 4 years we'll be doing this song and dance all over again.

Liberals wonder why black and brown folks don't show up, or even might vote Republican. It's because they are incapable of fighting for a better future so much as they are the sustaining of the status quo, and they do it with such zeal and consistency only a fool would think it's accidental.
so run for office.

as you've so eloquently put, just because someone is a democrat, doesn't mean they're progressive. As ive said many times here for complaints exactly like yours, go run for office yourself. The only way we're going to bring about progressive policies is with progressives in office.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I mean, I don't blame black voters for being skeptical of vote-by-mail, I certainly wouldn't put it past the Republican Party at this point to just decide all mail from predominantly black zipcodes needs to go missing.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
so run for office.

as you've so eloquently put, just because someone is a democrat, doesn't mean they're progressive. As ive said many times here for complaints exactly like yours, go run for office yourself. The only way we're going to bring about progressive policies is with progressives in office.

If this is the only answer you can give a black woman venting her deeply seated anger and frustration at white supremacy then you've completely misunderstood the history of racism in this country and the Democrats allowing it to fester for decades.

This is basically just bootstraps rhetoric, but somehow even more perverse.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
so run for office.

I'm not going to get elected in Georgia by telling white people that, as a collective, they ain't shit, and I don't like hiding my feelings behind civility. And two, politics isn't my passion, as opinionated as I am. I do want to get more involved in the development of my community, but I've never had political aspirations. I want to be an animator. ;~;

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
so run for office.

This is such a cruel response to someone voicing their frustration about the current system. Also, for the record, do you not know how hard it is to run a campaign? Why aren't you running for office? I assume you must be some form of government official given your post. Another question for you: did you know the DCCC blacklists any firm that helps a candidate primary an incumbent? I'm on mobile so here's a link.
[/URL]

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I'm black and just did early in person voting. Even though I'm in California, I do not trust in mail voting. The ballot I got in the mail was good for going through everything as I went through a voting guide and read up on everything.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping this is just standard Democrat bed wetting and not an actual problem come Election Day.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm not going to get elected in Georgia by telling white people that, as a collective, they ain't shit, and I don't like hiding my feelings behind civility. And two, politics isn't my passion, as opinionated as I am. I do want to get more involved in the development of my community, but I've never had political aspirations. I want to be an animator. ;~;
I hear you. I've seriously considered running for office myself. But I'd call a mother fucker a mother fucker and that'd be the end of my campaign.

If this is the only answer you can give a black woman venting her deeply seated anger and frustration at white supremacy then you've completely misunderstood the history of racism in this country and the Democrats allowing it to fester for decades.

This is basically just bootstraps rhetoric, but somehow even more perverse.

This is such a cruel response to someone voicing their frustration about the current system. Also, for the record, do you not know how hard it is to run a campaign? Why aren't you running for office? I assume you must be some form of government official given your post. Another question for you: did you know the DCCC blacklists any firm that helps a candidate primary an incumbent? I'm on mobile so here's a link.
[/URL]
So first of all this isn't limited to a single black female on this forum. It's a repeated complaint on this forum about Biden not being a progressive.
However, if you want progressive policies you need progressives at the state and local level working up to the federal level. Not hoping Bernie sanders somehow gets the nom and then somehow wins the General. Only to be hamstrung by congress that won't pass a damn thing for him

The way to do that is to run for office instead of whinging about it on a forum. Or finding a progressive candidate and and supporting the shit out of them.
If the fucking tea party morons can do it I think we can.

And yes I have seriously considered running myself. But see above.

Oct 25, 2017
Stop trying to live your life and instead put all your relatively modest hopes and dreams on hold to climb this impossible mountain.

Fantastic advice.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People really need to stop grouping Latinos together as one group. It doesn't work at all considering how different cultures and history are. A Cuban doesn't vote the same was as a Peruvian who doesn't vote the same way as as Guatemalan.

Like some racist Argentinian wouldn't be okay with deporting all the "lazy Mexicans"

anamika

May 18, 2018
So its just a proportions thing. Actual turnout is up, but white turnout outpaced Black and Latino turnout so their share dropped vis-a-vis 2016.

time to panic.
Isn't that an increase in college educated white people? They usually vote democrat don't do? In fact it looks like bad news for trump because the non-college educated white folk vote share is down. That's good news for Biden.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This might seem like an unrelated question to this topic, but I ask because my job takes me to different neighborhoods all over my city, and I can't help but notice blocks where mask-wearing is almost universal, and blocks where it's not.

Does mask-wearing/compliance correlate to being a supporter/voter for Biden?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I want a thing but not willing to lift a finger to make it happen, and instead complain about it online.

When you have valid complaints about the food at a restaurant, do you respond by opening up your own restaurant or do you just stop eating there and go search for another? I would much rather focus on direct action like protests than the sisyphean task of overcoming a party establishment that hates what I'm trying to do but wants me to fall in line anyway and frankly they want me to vote for them. It is not incumbent on me to fix them, I don't owe them my vote nor my time nor my career, it is incumbent on them to appeal to people like me who feel disenfranchised and apathetic about the party.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
You're fucking wild dude. Absolutely no understanding of power dynamics or structure. If only the lazy internet progressives ran for office.
Yup, this is the kind of let them eat cake, pull themselves up by their bootstraps shit that makes leftists not want to go anywhere near a coalition with them.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
90% of everyone I know personally are latino (friends and family) and almost all of them voted for trump last time and they all plan on voting for trump this time as well.

anecdotal, but im not surprised at all by this article.

Another anecdote, I'm Puerto Rican and a lot of the Latinos I know seems to fall prey to this sense of toxic masculinity. As if Trumps bravado is admirable. It's fucking gross. Fortunately my father is not one of them but outside of him they tend to be within a spectrum of Trump admirers to Trump curious.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't that stop black voters for voting for him in 2008, 2012, and the 2020 primaries?

And black folks are still voting for him in this election so far.

but this is about the lack of black and latine voters voting for him though?

I'm just assuming that bill would be a reason they're hesitant to support him and I can't blame either for it.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
5bur6q1ipvv51.png
DxPh3oK.gif

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Given that seemingly we already have a higher total turnout amongst black and Latino voters than we did in 2016, and that non-white voters are understandably more afraid of being discriminated against with mail-in-voting, this just seems like some Bloomberg shit prepping people to blame black and Latino voters if Trump somehow scrapes out a win. It's completely natural for non-white voters to show up at a lower rate in this election's mail-in-ballot heavy early voting. If someone's trying to selectively throw out ballots they'll probably focus on people from predominately black/Latino areas, and people with recognizably black/Latino sounding names.

Always gotta make sure the scapegoat is someone non-white. It's shitty white people behavior 101.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
People really need to stop grouping Latinos together as one group. It doesn't work at all considering how different cultures and history are. A Cuban doesn't vote the same was as a Peruvian who doesn't vote the same way as as Guatemalan.

Like some racist Argentinian wouldn't be okay with deporting all the "lazy Mexicans"
It's part of the problem with people in general. Cubans voting in Florida are the exact opposite of Mexicans voting in California.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah people really fail to understand this. We are talking about entire continents of people with wildly varying cultures and even different languages, acting as if they have the same political views is fucking stupid.