• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody remember that sinking feeling on election night 2016 when you realized Trump was going to win?

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I absolutely understand the fear of voting by mail for sure. Myself and my whole family are voting in person.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My black friends don't trust mail in voting, so they'll be there Tuesday. So in that regard Trump succeeded in sowing doubt.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
All these articles are just trying to get us to chew our fingers off from anxiety.
Let's just get through these few more days guys. Eyes on the prize.

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
What was the media narrative during 2018 midterms? We're they pushing a horse race then too?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
How to now the article you just read is a "horse race!" fearmongering trash piece:

1. Article gives no actual comparative data. Saying "X% of minorities have voted v. Y% of white people" isn't a comparison. X% of minorities in 2020 v. the amount who had voted by this time in 2016 would be comparative. Instead this is a spurious argument to paint the narrative that white folks are doing "more" to vote Trump out.
2. Article does nothing to dig beyond the surface. Saying "latinx turnout isn't good in some Florida counties, like Miami-Dade county" ignores that a large portion of the Miami-Dade latinx population is of Cuban descent with a much higher lean for Trump than any other latinx demographic. If they aren't turning out in Miami-Dade it might mean that a lot of Cuban-Americans who voted Trump in '16 are just sitting this one out.
3. Article has dubious sources. The only named person in this is Steve Schale, a Florida-centric PAC organizer. Funny how this article comes just a couple days after Miami-Dade county Dem groups (i.e. probably Schale and his PAC) were complaining about not getting enough support from the Biden camp, ignorant to the fact that the campaign has been hitting a massive swath of states with both on the ground rallies and advertising funds.

This reeks of a journalist wanting to put up a horse race article and hooking up with a party insider unhappy that he isn't getting the usual super special treatment he feels entitled to as a power player in Florida, the "swing state" of US POTUS elections.

Never mind that shifts in electoral college shares and voter demographics throughout the southwest have made Florida a cherry on top state for Dems and not a must win, he's a very important person! Just look at the blog post this references where he described himself as a "former rising star" when his crowning achievement was being a state director for Obama and being part of the failed "Draft Biden" attempt to get Biden to run in 2016.

The only person less trustworthy than a Republican is literally every political strategist on either side of the isle, but don't mind me while y'all hand wring over an article basically written by one with a clear agenda and propped up by a willing journalist looking for easy copy.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
The Dems continue to take black/brown people for granted. It shouldn't surprise them that they can't generate excitement.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
3. Article has dubious sources. The only named person in this is Steve Schale, a Florida-centric PAC organizer. Funny how this article comes just a couple days after Miami-Dade county Dem groups (i.e. probably Schale and his PAC) were complaining about not getting enough support from the Biden camp, ignorant to the fact that the campaign has been hitting a massive swath of states with both on the ground rallies and advertising funds.

tbf to Schale, the blog post the article refers to, http://steveschale.com/blog/2020/10/27/7-days-out.html
he actually reassures the audience its not complete doom and gloom and that Florida will always be close anyway.

• In the current political alignment of battleground states, Florida is not only the biggest, it is actually the closest. If you add up all the people who have voted for President since Florida entered the coterie of battleground states in 1992, roughly 51 million ballots have been cast in the last seven elections (1992-2016) – and the total pot of Democratic and Republican votes is separated by just under 20,000 votes.
  • Florida had seven statewide elections between 2010-2018 decided by less than 1.2% -- three of which were decided by 0.4% or less.
Things I like as a Democrat:
  • Turnout. Y'all are killing it. I did not think over 50% of Democrats would have voted with still five days to vote in-person, and seven days until Election Day. This number is good for a lot of reasons: the obvious one, but also you all have made the job of Biden organizers far easier, as now they can focus on an ever increasingly smaller funnel of voters – and they can focus on broader universes of sporadic voters. If you live in Florida and you have not read this – and you want my guy to win: do your local organizer a favor, and go vote, so they can take you off their list.
  • Duval. Duval Dems are guarding the house like they are those Jags fans when the Seattle Seahawks' Quinton Jefferson threatened to climb into the stands in the whatever that stadium is called now. Duval Democrats have a roughly 12-point advantage among people who have voted (compared to a 6% voter reg advantage) and are leading in both VBM and in-person voting. Unless something really goes south, Joe Biden is going to win Duuuuval.
  • Dems in red counties: Turnout and VBM return rates have been very strong in places where Democrats need to cut the margins. If Clinton had maintained anything close to the Obama 2012 margins in red counties, she would have won. A Biden win requires both doing well in base communities, and keeping margins close elsewhere.

Things I want to see improve:
  • Continued increase in turnout in communities of color. The upside is Black and Hispanic shares of the electorate are higher at this point in the cycle than they were four years ago – meaning more are voting earlier. That being said, both Black and Hispanic turnout are lagging white turnout. For example, turnout among White Democrats is 58%, Black Democrats 44%, and Hispanic Democrats 42%. That being said, to show just how important the higher than average at this point turnout among Black Democrats is to the math: Whites make up 65% of all votes so far, and Republicans have a 542K advantage among these voters. Black voters make up 12.4% of all voters so far, but the Democratic advantage is 676K. In fairness, a lot of history suggest these voters are more likely to vote closer to the election and on election day.
One additional note – Dade County. It is important to remember for those who are tweeting at me about Dade that is basically a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, stuffed into a empanada, doused with hot sauce, and barreling down I-95 at 90mph in a Honda Civic in the emergency lane with the driver leaning out the window holding a couch that is tied to nothing yet somehow balancing on the car roof in a driving rain storm with no windshield wipers, or functioning turn signals. Yes, I am still not sure how I survived that one time when Caputo took me to the Miami airport.

I get the concern about Dade from Democrats. I also get it is a place that beats to its own drummer. The bad news: GOP turnout rates are higher than Democrats. The reality: that doesn't overly worry me as a single data point. The GOP machine is very good in Miami – and particularly in the Cuban community, there is a real effort to get people to vote by mail and vote early. And Democrats tend to catch up over time.

Keep in mind a few things: there are more Republican Hispanic registered voters than Democrats. I think folks often forget this. Both parties are turning out a fairly equal percentage of new and sporadic voters – so a lot of their advantage is just a function of their voters voting earlier – just like that is benefiting us elsewhere. Also, I looked at some similar data from 2016 later in this same week – and the registration spreads between the two parties were pretty similar. So yes, I would like to see turnout increase – and yes, we need improvement.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, you're telling me Ana Navarro wasn't the right pick for Latinx outreach?! I'm shocked! Shocked!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
How to now the article you just read is a "horse race!" fearmongering trash piece:

1. Article gives no actual comparative data. Saying "X% of minorities have voted v. Y% of white people" isn't a comparison. X% of minorities in 2020 v. the amount who had voted by this time in 2016 would be comparative. Instead this is a spurious argument to paint the narrative that white folks are doing "more" to vote Trump out.
2. Article does nothing to dig beyond the surface. Saying "latinx turnout isn't good in some Florida counties, like Miami-Dade county" ignores that a large portion of the Miami-Dade latinx population is of Cuban descent with a much higher lean for Trump than any other latinx demographic. If they aren't turning out in Miami-Dade it might mean that a lot of Cuban-Americans who voted Trump in '16 are just sitting this one out.

This reeks of a journalist wanting to put up a horse race article and hooking up with a party insider unhappy that he isn't getting the usual super special treatment he feels entitled to as a power player in Florida, the "swing state" of US POTUS elections.

Never mind that shifts in electoral college shares and voter demographics throughout the southwest have made Florida a cherry on top state for Dems and not a must win, he's a very important person! Just look at the blog post this references where he described himself as a "former rising star" when his crowning achievement was being a state director for Obama and being part of the failed "Draft Biden" attempt to get Biden to run in 2016.

The only person less trustworthy than a Republican is literally every political strategist on either side of the isle, but don't mind me while y'all hand wring over an article basically written by one with a clear agenda and propped up by a willing journalist looking for easy copy.
yeah the article is dreck, drek

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Not surprising...Biden is an uninspiring candidate to the say the least, and PoC communities have been done dirty by the dems for decades.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
tbf to Schale, the blog post the article refers to, http://steveschale.com/blog/2020/10/27/7-days-out.html
he actually reassures the audience its not complete doom and gloom and that Florida will always be close anyway.
Thats just it though. His whole narrative is "Florida is so close and so important!" It does a political strategist no good to say "nah, ya fucked here bud" same as saying "we got it in the bag". The whole point is to speak out of both sides of their mouth simultaneously.

Political strategists are the fuel of the horse race narrative because they need to it drive candidates and donors to feed their machine. Never forget that political strategists almost all at some point double as lobbyists. They're fucking leaches and are as culpable in turning cable news into the partisan shitshow it is today as the pursuit of baseline profits.

Turnout or not, the Dems consistently take minority votes for granted. This election is no different.

What would you describe as not taking minority votes for granted? I'm not going to claim Biden is the greatest champion of minority rights we could have nominated but he's just about a million miles better than the alternative and is a massive improvement in what the Dems have offered previously. Can't get to perfect without first working through good.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
White people just block Grandpa's Q posts and never think to talk to them about it.
This is something that's been on my mind a lot.

Over the past five years, I tried really, really hard to get my grandma off the insane Facebook conspiracy train. Not only has this process been utterly fruitless, it has dramatically reaffirmed my belief that a major driving force of conservatism isn't just bigotry, but literally some sort of intellectual or personality defect. Her thinking, her ideology, is incoherent, self-contradictory, and freely morphs from one moment to the next, but I swear to you that she believes what she says with absolute conviction, even when it's the exact opposite of what she said just 10 minutes ago. It is 100% sincere. She's not going senile, she's not trying to outmaneuver an opponent in a debate, she's just a Republican.

I think cognitive dissonance compels us to scrutinize our own beliefs and better arrange our priorities and political thought, the same way pain compels us to avoid physically traumatic activities—and it's something most conservatives are incapable of feeling. There is literally something missing from their brains.

We all have a responsibility to speak up when bigotry and idiotic conspiracy thought make themselves known within our families, but I also don't think we have much reason to believe it is an effective means of combating or mitigating them.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I'mma be real, I know quite a few black men who are getting taken in by Trump's machismo bullshit and they don't care for Dems cause they never do anything.

I think there can be a real reckoning in the future for Dems if Reps are able to get their overt racist messaging in order if Trump loses. If they get a trifecta they have to go all in, nothing held back in making change.

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
What would you describe as not taking minority votes for granted? I'm not going to claim Biden is the greatest champion of minority rights we could have nominated but he's just about a million miles better than the alternative and is a massive improvement in what the Dems have offered previously. Can't get to perfect without first working through good.
It's not hard to be better than Trump. But if you've lived through decades of Dems dangling a carrot on a stick, there's a good chance you're not going to be excited for the next guy holding the stick. Especially if you didn't have a good quality of life when he was last in office.

Darth_Kramer

Aug 17, 2020
Biden is openly running ads talking up the most outlier polls in an attempt to drum up donations and voting. While I'm not saying it's impossible turnout is low, Biden aides SAYING its low to try and inspire even more turnout wouldn't be... shocking

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Thats just it though. His whole narrative is "Florida is so close and so important!" It does a political strategist no good to say "nah, ya fucked here bud" same as saying "we got it in the bag". The whole point is to speak out of both sides of their mouth simultaneously.

Political strategists are the fuel of the horse race narrative because they need to it drive candidates and donors to feed their machine. Never forget that political strategists almost all at some point double as lobbyists. They're fucking leaches and are as culpable in turning cable news into the partisan shitshow it is today as the pursuit of baseline profits.

I suppose so, but assuming the data he mentions in his blog is correct, its pretty clear cut, florida is gonna be close cause the data says it.

• In the current political alignment of battleground states, Florida is not only the biggest, it is actually the closest. If you add up all the people who have voted for President since Florida entered the coterie of battleground states in 1992, roughly 51 million ballots have been cast in the last seven elections (1992-2016) – and the total pot of Democratic and Republican votes is separated by just under 20,000 votes.
  • Florida had seven statewide elections between 2010-2018 decided by less than 1.2% -- three of which were decided by 0.4% or less.

This election has a huge gender divide, the most in history, we need the election to end before being able to look at data, the shift in minorities is among men mostly if i recall the article correctly.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can't get to perfect without first working through good.
Black people have been hearing this since before we had voting rights.

Literal centuries of being told to wait, and enough elections where principles are thrown away when they're convenient (including this one), and I'm starting to think that Democrats and their philosophical ilk aren't actually after minority liberation and equality, but are after a comfortable status quo where oppression is simply ignorable.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'mma be real, I know quite a few black men who are getting taken in by Trump's machismo bullshit and they don't care for Dems cause they never do anything.

I think there can be a real reckoning in the future for Dems if Reps are able to get their overt racist messaging in order if Trump loses. If they get a trifecta they have to go all in, nothing held back in making change.
You're not wrong on Dems needing to put up or shut up on some massively overdue legislation. But I'd argue that since you're seeing some of that with latino men too, it probably points more to a men problem than a strictly racial one. I'm not seeing stories like these about latina or black women. But men across the board have been supporting some vile shit around Trump.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the thought process that went into that name.
"You know what the negroes like? The rap music. And they are always trying to get platinum albums right?"
And the sad part, people that should know better will buy into it. It is the modern day fried chicken and watermelon

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not saying this year is the same, it's just the disconcerting feeling of being so sure of your prediction, backed by all the data, and seeing that begin to crumble.

The data in 2016 was nowhere near this. Tons of states polling within MoE. Final polls not reflecting Comey's antics with Weiner's notebook, too. Doesn't feel the same at all.

There's a reason Trump is shitting his damned pants right now.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Reckoning in the future?? 2016 wasn't the Dem's reckoning?!

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
This was all consciously baked in though right? The Biden strategy wasn't to rely on Latinos and Black voters rather it was to appeal to white suburban moderates?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'm black & I voted for Biden. I almost did it by VBM, but have voted in person.

To be fair, confronting white people about their problematic behavior or attitudes is a good way to get shot/stabbed.

And earn a one-way ticket to prison.

Someone has to call them out & show tough love.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Joe doesn't need to be worried. People of color have largely distrusted the mail-in voting option. Too much shenanigans around it, and many of us have learned that we need to watch our shit go right into the voting machines by our own hand in order to be sure we are counted.

I look forward to voting on election day, in person, and getting my sticker.

Signed,

Black man

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
This was all consciously baked in though right? The Biden strategy wasn't to rely on Latinos and Black voters rather it was to appeal to white suburban moderates?

I am sure the white suburban moderates will be a reliable coalition in the Democrat Party going forward.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
As a Hispanic most Hispanics I've personally met in the US are kind of assholes so par for the course. Really embarrassing.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
Anybody remember that sinking feeling on election night 2016 when you realized Trump was going to win?
5bur6q1ipvv51.png

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017

I could see someone like Kasich dominating the black vote in 2024

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was going to vote early or by mail, but I was afraid some bullshit would happen to disenfranchise me - so I'm going on Election Day.

I'm willing to bet many other Black people feel the same way, even if they live in "safe" states. They're gonna have to kill me to stop my ballot.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
What is this article? We have actual data showing entire cities have *already* had more people cast their votes this year than in 2016. And not to mention the articles of historic black turnout in goergia.

This smells like bullshit.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
While I absolutely do agree that Biden has been not paying as much attention to the Black and Latinx communities as they could have (I mean, they're still doing a shit ton more than Trump but Trump's campaign is in the goddamn basement), pretty much everyone I know is voting in person because of possible voter suppression efforts against us.