• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
So how was the EU doing this all year long exporting vaccines worldwide, while also vaccinating their own population?

they seem to be vaccinating their citizens less, with full vaccination rates in EU countries hovering around 23% of the population compared to the US's 42% of the population. this is not an argument one way or the other for which approach is morally superior, it's simply a statement of fact that i feel perhaps illustrates a trade off between the two approaches btw.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I've just seen many countries have paused or stopped AZ rollouts.

That said with further research the US 60mil has a deadline to be distributed by July 1, pending quality checks. Given the vaccines can go bad should we not do quality checks on them?

I see even in this thread concerns about expiration and storage as a reason to export them. Well, I'd say those concerns are valid but no one can snap their fingers and immediately send out millions of vaccines doses, while also ensuring they were properly handled throughout their entire chain of custody so to speak. Would it be good to send out millions of vaccines that aren't effective because they weren't stored properly for the last few months?

It's not a snap your fingers situation when you're literally dealing with life and death medication.

It's also a massive logistics effort to send all these doses out properly and ensure they are recieved somewhere that can store them properly. You can't just say "just do it"

All of the above is correct. The thing is, those vaccines from AZ were never part of your vaccination plan, since it havent been approved as of today. Logistics are complicated I agree, but I dont see how India can do it while the USA can not.

any metric you want to use, the US was suffering and people were dropping dead left and right. so, yeah, it does excuse it. in January of 2021 100,000 people died of the virus and it was nearly impossible to get a shot. now that things are more stabilized, we can actually help the rest of the world.

there's no vaccine hoarding defense force. none. you can't ask a country under a health care catastrophe to have to think about other countries' citizens while their own are dying.

Yes, there was and still is. I still dont see how with a straight face people say sharing was not possible while the EU kept sending vaccines abroad just fine. AZ overpromised deliveries, and yet the EU didnt stop vaccines from reaching Covax or other countries. Belgium was more affected by covid than the USA per capita, and yet they allowed exports. Even India exported million upon millions. I dunno how we first sorry everyone else is a reasonable answer to a global pandemic.

survivor

Oct 25, 2017
they seem to be vaccinating their citizens less, with full vaccination rates in EU countries hovering around 23% of the population compared to the US's 42% of the population. this is not an argument one way or the other for which approach is morally superior, it's simply a statement of fact that i feel perhaps illustrates a trade off between the two approaches btw.
Sure, but my point is starting to export vaccines 6 months into 2021 isn't some monumental achievement when the EU has been doing it all year long while they were facing the shitshow AZ production problems and backlash for their policy.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
How would sending vaccines to other countries have stopped the creation and spread of variants when the USA was in the middle of a massive outbreak itself? Those variants were just as likely to happen by allowing the virus to spread more in the USA through sending the vaccines away as they are if the virus is spreading elsewhere by the USA vaccinating its population first.

I don't mean donating all vaccines in the middle of the worst of it. But it was clear since some months ago the US was doing much better while places like Brazil, India, even Europe... even closer: Canada and Mexico, were seeing spikes or failing to vaccinate all at risk people because of lack of vaccines. At that point I do see it as questionable to stay focused on getting young, healthy people not directly at risk vaccinated instead of helping other countries. At the point you start giving out money and prizes so people will get vaccinated and encouraging vaccine tourism, well... I don't know how anyone defends that.

Oct 26, 2017
User Warned: Off Topic Thread Derail
"How can I get people to forget about the mess that's happening in the Middle East?"

Oct 26, 2017
Life must only be in black and white for you, huh?

Im not going to celebrate the clear political motives of someone who's more than happy to oppress people, for said similar political motives.

People who assume this is benevolent are incredibly naïve given how the Biden admin has handled the vaccinations during Covid-19.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean donating all vaccines in the middle of the worst of it. But it was clear since some months ago the US was doing much better while places like Brazil, India, even Europe... even closer: Canada and Mexico, were seeing spikes or failing to vaccinate all at risk people because of lack of vaccines. At that point I do see it as questionable to stay focused on getting young, healthy people not directly at risk vaccinated instead of helping other countries. At the point you start giving out money and prizes so people will get vaccinated and encouraging vaccine tourism, well... I don't know how anyone defends that.
"Young healthy people" are still spreaders (and can still suffer permanant damage), and the prizes are to encourage more idiots to get vaccinated to avoid a 2nd spike. 598,000 people died here, we don't want shit hitting the fan again.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
What do you define as "some months ago"? Because two months ago only 30% of the country had gotten 1 dose.

Giving out money and prizes to encourage vaccinations has only happened fairly recently, and not coincidentally as demand has flatlined our exports have ramped up.

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Im not going to celebrate the clear political motives of someone who's more than happy to oppress people, for said similar political motives.

People who assume this is benevolent are incredibly naïve given how the Biden admin has handled the vaccinations during Covid-19.

Hence my post. It's not always one way or the other. It's nuanced and your post tells me what I need to about your motivations.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

So better to just throw out accusations for ulterior motives and see what sticks? I mean it's not like anyone was giving two shits about what was happening in the Middle East beforehand. No need to distract an already apathetic public.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

This is a good thing. And it's not benevolance for the sake of benevolance, it's a diplomatic move. Sometimes what's right aligns with U.S. interests. It's not difficult to understand. Not being benevolant doesn't make what you said any less ridiculous.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I feel pretty confident in thinking that the White House's Middle East strategy and vaccination strategy have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

OP
OP
Mcfrank

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
A couple of things.

1.) Young, healthy people can still get infected and cause variants. So if the goal is reducing variants, then keeping the virus from spreading unchecked through young healthy people is a very good thing.

2.) The Biden administration has been negotiating this deal for 4 weeks according to reports. Which means when they began this process only 35% of the USA population had been fully vaccinated.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All of the above is correct. The thing is, those vaccines from AZ were never part of your vaccination plan, since it havent been approved as of today. Logistics are complicated I agree, but I dont see how India can do it while the USA can not.

Yes, there was and still is. I still dont see how with a straight face people say sharing was not possible while the EU kept sending vaccines abroad just fine. AZ overpromised deliveries, and yet the EU didnt stop vaccines from reaching Covax or other countries. Belgium was more affected by covid than the USA per capita, and yet they allowed exports. Even India exported million upon millions. I dunno how we first sorry everyone else is a reasonable answer to a global pandemic.

Ok, but it was also still hard for people to get vaccine appointments literally within a month ago in the US. I would say this is pretty good timing in terms of a response since vaccine adoption is now dropping in the US. If "we" have been hoarding vaccines it's been in red/southern states where adoption is low. Doesn't mean people in roughly half the country had a hard time getting appointment, very recently. If the US is going to be exporting unused doses they should be doing quality checks, end of story.

Regardless, this is a new purchase of 500mil doses going to COVAX and underserved countries.

This is 100% good news. Could things have been handled better? Sure, but the Biden admin also inherited an absolute shit show from the the Trump admin less than 6 mos ago. Did EU and India have similar scenarios? Did they have a complete change in executive leadership in the same timeframe? Do they have to contend with idiot governors and state legislatures from red states?

Have y'all thought about any of this before drive by posting "not good enough and no excuses"

Well there actually are excuses...

And literally the post above ^ none of this happens in some snap your fingers and it's done vacuum. The US was still in a very bad spot literally a month ago. Tbh I'm surprised this deal happened as quickly as it did.

And just watch, the GOP and their media machine and red states will all be screaming at Biden and Dems for even doing this at the top of their lungs.

Modi won by like 20 points didn't he? And European countries in general don't face near this level of partisan divide in getting things done either.

Last edited:

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Good shit, glad to see our efforts to elect Biden are not only helping out here in the US but also worldwide. Can't imagine Trump doing anything this benevolent, instead would likely charge and require a TRUMP distribution center in each country that got them.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
It's strange that the same people here saying this is a bad thing were the same ones complaining about vaccine hoarding earlier in the year.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
lol after hoarding all vaccines, forcing manufacturers to not honour previous agreements because yey Murica First and even not releasing vaccines that are meant to be shipped to other countries.

The US deaths were insane, same with the UK. Vaccinating our own citizens firdt to prevent more death was the only option I feel. We both dealt with it horrifically and hundreds of thoudands died because of it.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange that the same people here saying this is a bad thing were the same ones complaining about vaccine hoarding earlier in the year.
The people that say this is a bad thing are saying it because it is happening late and not at the needed scale to compensate for that, aka, a continuation of the same problem as before!

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Wasn't there a post about this exact thing like 2 weeks ago with people screaming how Biden was withholding the vaccine?
Edit: Yep
www.resetera.com

[The National Review] The Utterly Embarrassing Failure to Quickly Send Extra U.S. Vaccine Doses Overseas

President Biden, speaking at the White House, May 4: Reuters, earlier today: That’s right, “nations around the globe are still waiting — with growing impatience — to learn where the vaccines will go and how they will be distributed.” Thirty days after Biden’s promise, the administration has...

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
China and India. Although both reversed their stance and started vaccinating their own population massively after the emergence of the Delta variant, and consequently started delaying shipments to other nations. In fact, China has been doing around 20 million shots a day recently.
Do you know what vaxx China is using? I heard from my HK friend his family doesn't wanna go near any of the Sino vaccines. Same with my relatives in the Phliippines. I encouraged them that some vaxx is better than getting covid but I understand the reticience.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
"Young healthy people" are still spreaders (and can still suffer permanant damage), and the prizes are to encourage more idiots to get vaccinated to avoid a 2nd spike. 598,000 people died here, we don't want shit hitting the fan again.

Really tired of people pulling the numbers card. People died everywhere, massively, and are still dying.

March:
www.bbc.com

Covid-19: Mexico revises coronavirus death toll up by 60%

The revised figures indicate Mexico has the second highest number of Covid-related deaths in the world.

"Since mid-February more than 26,772 Covid-19-related deaths have been reported across Mexico which would take the total to more than 321,000.
That places Mexico above Brazil, which has registered 310,000 deaths, and below the US which has recorded 549,000 fatalities - despite having a population of 126 million which is far smaller than either country."

April:
www.bbc.com

Covid: Canada sounds the alarm as cases overtake US

Infections in the largest province could increase sixfold without tougher measures, experts warn.

"New variants - especially the UK variant, B1.1.7 - account for more than two-thirds of infections in Ontario.
Even with vaccinations progressing, the expert panel warned that the number of new cases in Ontario could go as high as 30,000 a day - in a province with 14 million people, 38% of the total population of Canada."

I just think more people who claimed to hate Trump's America First attitude and lack of concern for the US' allies would care a bit more about helping them get the situation under control. But like this thread shows most are just happy to attribute criticism to "they hate us, what else is new".

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I just think more people who claimed to hate Trump's America First attitude and lack of concern for the US' allies would care a bit more about helping them get the situation under control. But like this thread shows most are just happy to attribute criticism to "they hate us, what else is new".
We are literally in a thread about the US buying 500 million vaccine doses for this very purpose.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
If Trump were still president, these exports wouldn't be happening at all.

Is it a big fucking surprise that people who believe we should be helping vaccinate the rest of the world would also put a higher priority on making sure their loved ones, if not themselves, got vaccinated first? These are not mutually exclusive schools of thought.

This is a thread about how the US is exporting 500 million vaccinations globally over the next year and a half, and half the replies in here are shitting on Biden and the US. Yeah, no kidding some will just look at it as people wanting to complain no matter what, particularly given the muted response to similar actions by India and China.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know what vaxx China is using? I heard from my HK friend his family doesn't wanna go near any of the Sino vaccines. Same with my relatives in the Phliippines. I encouraged them that some vaxx is better than getting covid but I understand the reticience.
some vax is better than none, but people who recived Sino vaccines likely will need a revaxx. it was at best 50% for base covid, so far lower for the verants.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
If Trump were still president, these exports wouldn't be happening at all.

Is it a big fucking surprise that people who believe we should be helping vaccinate the rest of the world would also put a higher priority on making sure their loved ones, if not themselves, got vaccinated first? These are not mutually exclusive schools of thought.

This is a thread about how the US is exporting 500 million vaccinations globally over the next year and a half, and half the replies in here are shitting on Biden and the US. Yeah, no kidding some will just look at it as people wanting to complain no matter what, particularly given the muted response to similar actions by India and China.
yup people are, intentionally I think, understating just how bad it got. it was over 4k deathjs a day for awhile, and hung around 1k a day for awhile after that.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
What do you define as "some months ago"? Because two months ago only 30% of the country had gotten 1 dose.

Giving out money and prizes to encourage vaccinations has only happened fairly recently, and not coincidentally as demand has flatlined our exports have ramped up.

Seriously, my at-risk parents barely got vaccinated at the tail end of April. I wasn't fully vaxxed until May 28th. Do some posters here really expect the US to export vaccines while its citizens get sick? Ludicrous standards.

Vietnamese newspapers and user comments have been positive towards earlier reports that Biden plans to donate 80 million vaccines by the end of June. I haven't seen a reaction to the 500 million plan, but I'm sure it'll be far less cynical than here. I've even read messages on Zalo wondering how the US is so generous when barely over half of the people are vaccinated.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't there a post about this exact thing like 2 weeks ago with people screaming how Biden was withholding the vaccine?
www.resetera.com

[The National Review] The Utterly Embarrassing Failure to Quickly Send Extra U.S. Vaccine Doses Overseas

President Biden, speaking at the White House, May 4: Reuters, earlier today: That’s right, “nations around the globe are still waiting — with growing impatience — to learn where the vaccines will go and how they will be distributed.” Thirty days after Biden’s promise, the administration has...

That's my thread! Can anyone explain how the news today changes the fact that you have up to 80 millions vaccines stored somewhere that you will never use?

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see the fox news meltdowns
"Biden wants 70% of Americans to be vaccinated by the 4th of July, and yet he's spending taxpayer money to send half a billion vaccines to foreign nations. Meanwhile, lower than 40% of qualified people in Mississippi and Alabama don't even have one dose of the vaccine in them, and what could be used for them is instead going overseas. In fact, if you look at the overall charts, the states that are deeply blue are the ones that clear the 70% threshold while deep red states are the ones who can't get vaccinated. Perhaps this is Bidens way of getting back at the state's that refused to vote for him into the White House. "Don't like the fact that you can't get the vaccine? Well maybe next time, fall in line with the CDC and the World Health Organization and maybe I wouldn't have treated you worse than 3rd-world citizens." is the message being sent out through all this."

-Either Carson or Hannity. Maybe Pierro as well.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Really tired of people pulling the numbers card. People died everywhere, massively, and are still dying.

March:
www.bbc.com

The revised figures indicate Mexico has the second highest number of Covid-related deaths in the world.

"Since mid-February more than 26,772 Covid-19-related deaths have been reported across Mexico which would take the total to more than 321,000.
That places Mexico above Brazil, which has registered 310,000 deaths, and below the US which has recorded 549,000 fatalities - despite having a population of 126 million which is far smaller than either country."

April:
www.bbc.com

Infections in the largest province could increase sixfold without tougher measures, experts warn.

"New variants - especially the UK variant, B1.1.7 - account for more than two-thirds of infections in Ontario.
Even with vaccinations progressing, the expert panel warned that the number of new cases in Ontario could go as high as 30,000 a day - in a province with 14 million people, 38% of the total population of Canada."

Also, wow at "tired of people pulling the numbers card." How fucking dismissive. 600,000 Americans died. That number includes family members and close friends of people on this very forum.

Imagine being upset that we wanted our own family members, friends, and neighbors to receive American-made and American-funded vaccines first and foremost. No fucking shit I want to do something for my own family before yours. You would too if you had the choice.

And I'll remind you again that we're in a thread about us buying half a billion vaccine doses to donate to the world.

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Hostility
I'm sorry your dumb ass is tired of numbers. Yes, people are still dying, and now that what was the biggest problem country with deaths totalling around 600,000 human beings, and tens of millions of infections, is under control, we can send hundreds of millions of vaccines elsewhere. It's not complicated.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I'm sorry your dumb ass is tired of numbers. Yes, people are still dying, and now that what was the biggest problem country with deaths totalling around 600,000 human beings, and tens of millions of infections, is under control, we can send hundreds of millions of vaccines elsewhere. It's not complicated.

Just say "America First" next time. Clearly US lives are worth more to you than other humans.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
"How can I get people to forget about the mess that's happening in the Middle East?"

Sweet baby JESUS....

What in the actual fuck.

www.resetera.com

Literally yes. Like Literally. Unsurprising that moves come to address this and many of the same people are still somehow burning mad. Everyday I learn to more and more to not hold the viewpoints and opinions of the loudest voices here in anything remotely approaching high regard.

Just say "America First" next time. Clearly US lives are worth more to you than other humans.

The irony.... When you clearly dont give a shit about American lives. All this shit is just proxy 'battles' for grievances people hold that originated elsewhere or in adjacent areas seemingly. Cant even celebrate people getting vaccines to a deadly disease...

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
This is literally what I said months ago was gonna happen. First block exports, then donate massive amounts for image and soft power projection and be lauded or it.

I'm still happy that they're donating them now that we're at this point.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
cringe! local country who started out as and continues to be the main funder for covax now donating a quarter of a billion vaccine doses on top of that to help fight the global pandemic!

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being upset that we wanted our own family members, friends, and neighbors to receive American-made and American-funded vaccines first and foremost. No fucking shit I want to do something for my own family before yours.

BioNTech/Pfizer didn't receive any research funding for their vaccine development from the US. They got $445 million from the German government. Didn't stop the Trump administration for taking credit for it of course.

Pfizer Vaccine's Funding Came From Berlin, Not Washington - Bloomberg

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Also, wow at "tired of people pulling the numbers card." How fucking dismissive. 600,000 Americans died. That number includes family members and close friends of people on this very forum.

Imagine being upset that we wanted our own family members, friends, and neighbors to receive American-made and American-funded vaccines first and foremost. No fucking shit I want to do something for my own family before yours.

And I'll remind you again that we're in a thread about us buying half a billion vaccine doses to donate to the world.
Thank you. I'm tired of these fucking ghouls accusing that were accusing us of hoarding as so many were dropping dead here. The #1 goal of every nation on the planet should be to take care of their own people, and any leader in the world who can address such a problem among their populace should. If anyone else was exporting vaccines before supply exceeded their domestic needs as they faced similiar numbers as us, then they are incompetent and negligent of their own citizens. Our hotspot is about as taken care of as it's going to get, so now we address other hot spot nations that also failed to control the virus.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Neoliberal going to capitalism... With the collectives help, they develop this vaccine it cost them about three bucks In materials and then now we're paying $15 so we can give it out.

How about we just take the vaccines?!? Oh wait that would violate the Corpos! Think of the stockholders!!!

No, this is isn't on Biden this is on the system itself...

Hoping it helps the places we raped economically in the historic sense...

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
"Sleepy Joe is using our tax dollars, and instead of helping America, he helps everyone else! Sleepy Joe does not care about the welfare of Americans; he is actively participating in funding our enemies!"

-Rush Limbaugh from Hell, probably

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

March:
www.bbc.com

April:
www.bbc.com

i think it's interesting that you specifically reference the US's allies, as if diplomatic proximity to the US means their lives are worth more than the lives of people from countries who are not diplomatically close to the US