• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, fuck those countries where 0.5% of the population is vaccinated.

The excuse of contracts not allowing Western countries to redistribute is such cowardly bullshit, too. What are the drug companies going to do, not make them anymore? They're already raking in the cash. It's utterly pathetic entire nations are grabbed by the balls by a couple of corporations.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
man the second shot fucked me up bad

give mine to someone unvaccinated in a third world country thanks

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
This will not encourage the fence riders but do what you got to do (if science supports it.)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I got the AZ shot, one of the few Americans to do so lol.

I guess I should just get one of the authorized ones soon.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
That means I can get my third shot by late December this year. Probably will be almost mandatory since US will probably have like 2 exclusive variants coming out of the South before then :/ I got two Pfizer doses so I wonder if my third should be Moderna to mix things up (I'll take whatever).

Hopefully kids 5-11 can start getting vaxxed before end of November.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, fuck those countries where 0.5% of the population is vaccinated.

The excuse of contracts not allowing Western countries to redistribute is such cowardly bullshit, too. What are the drug companies going to do, not make them anymore? They're already raking in the cash. It's utterly pathetic entire nations are grabbed by the balls by a couple of corporations.

I mean that is mostly just US. EU has allowed exports since the start (also why they lacked behind US in vaccinations during the early period as a lot of vaccines went abroad)

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I got my second dose back in February so yeah I probably need it.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Would a 3rd shot give more protection against Delta today (+ a few weeks) then a person getting their second dose today (+ a few weeks)?

Like, is this just resetting baseline protection to the peak of the vaccines effectiveness or would a booster even surpass that - at least with respect to Delta?

Got my second shot in April. I don't want to get a 3rd shot in December, so I'd likely get it before Thanksgiving. But only if it's actually going to give more protection. Otherwise I'd wait until early January.

But kind of want to get it even sooner tbh...

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I wonder how many people are going to wait until their state starts offering bribes/lotteries to get their booster now that people know it'll probably happen if they wait long enough

Jan 29, 2018
If they tell me I should get a third shot I'll get a third shot but I'd rather they focus on pushing the holdouts to get the first two shots. More companies are mandating it for their employees but not nearly enough. By now high schools should be requiring it for students.

I don't think booster shots will have anything to do one way or another with approval for kids under 12. Supply doesn't seem to be an issue in the US anymore, is it? Just stubborness.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
J&J here as well. I've always had it in the back of my mind that I'll likely have to switch to the Phiser 2-dose at some point, and not just a single booster. I'm anxiously awaiting the data and recommendation.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a valid choice here between innoculating a protected population, which would cut down local transmission and boost immunity, but perhaps at the cost of wasted doses which could be shipped abroad -- which can help prevent the spread of variants. It's a difficult decision IMO. I'm ready for a third shot whenever it's recommended.

I also know a handful of people who got their 2 dose shot in the spring who are hesitant at getting a third. My nextdoor neighbors got severe side effects, although ... IMO ... I dunno, they seem like people who are very prone to every sort of illness ... But the wife was knocked out for like a week, and the husband was sick for 3-4 days too, and their teenage son was sick for days as well. WHen 3 people get severe side effects in one house hold I start to think about how much is social vs. physiological. But, he told me they won't get another shot because the symptoms were bad. My father in law is needle averse and sucked it up for the first vaccine but doesn't want to go back and get another shot, he basically dreads it. I think we'll end up reserving more vaccines than will be used especially when compared to the spring/summer, where states like mine have about a 90% vaccine usage shortly after shipment, I suspect for follow-ups that number will drop.

There's an ethical question around that, and then also a practical issue of if you're risking the development of new variants developing.

The counter though is that we're seeing out of control spread in places in the US with 40-50% vaccination rate, and there are certainly variants developing in these parts of the US... so even with comparatively high vaccination rate (compared globally) you can still have high spread.

Are booster shots the same contents as the first 2 shots?

Yes, as far as I know, it's the same vaccine currently approved. I'd imagine you'd only need one shot, though, not two for most healthy people.

The FDA recently authorized boosters for people on immunosuppressant drugs (cancer patients, organ receivers, etc) and that's the same dose/vaccine.

How about getting kids under 12 authorized ASAP?

Trial data is expected to be in for 5-11 around September. Assuming the data is good similar to the trials for adults and teens, I'd assume we'd have emergency authorization within days of that being requested. There's another group of 0-5 that my understanding is that they're still performing trials.

Pfizer seems to have already had enough participants for their 5-11 group, but they're still recruiting for 0-5. Moderna seems to be recruiting for both groups still.

Can't authorize any vaccine without stage 3 trials.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
When doing a booster, is it better to switch from pfizer to Moderna now that early studies hint it protects better against Delta than Pfizer?
(I've read it's not because it's different than pfizer, but because the mRNA dose they tested and got approved is triple that of pfizer)

And should J&J users boost with J&J or switch to an RNA vaccine?

So, J&J + Moderna or J&J + J&J?

Pfizer x 3 or Pfizer x 2 + Moderna?

What stacks best? That's what we need to know.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Can't speak to your situation but man if I had kids they would not be in a school right now... homeschooling is not great but without a vaccine thats just a honeypot for covid
I don't have much of a choice at the moment, what with my wife being a nurse and my crazy schedule. But we make her wear her mask all day, she has hand sanitizer, she brings her lunch. So we're doing everything we can.

Turnbuckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
When doing a booster, is it better to switch from pfizer to Moderna now that early studies hint it protects better against Delta than Pfizer?
(I've read it's not because it's different than pfizer, but because the mRNA dose they tested and got approved is triple that of pfizer)

And should J&J users boost with J&J or switch to an RNA vaccine?

So, J&J + Moderna or J&J + J&J?

Pfizer x 3 or Pfizer x 2 + Moderna?

What stacks best? That's what we need to know.

Wondering the same.

Got my 2X Pfizer. Willing to mix it up if it gives any benefit

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
My wife had a 90 year old lady and daughter sign paper work they had no shots, but got rejected for refill too soon.

She called and they said, "yeah we lied to get the shot"

At least there will be less drama for that. She still has to deal with all the ivermectin and hydroxy people.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
I don't have much of a choice at the moment, what with my wife being a nurse and my crazy schedule. But we make her wear her mask all day, she has hand sanitizer, she brings her lunch. So we're doing everything we can.
damn, sorry to hear that. Hopefully she gets through this and can get vaxxed asap

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I got my first dose in December and 2nd in Jan so I am due for this. Sign me up asap!

Also need it approved for kids asap. My 7 yr old is a cancer survivor and I worry day and night about this will affect him. He had antibodies early last yr but tested negative with zero symptoms. He must have had it at some point and thank god he is ok but I worry about long-term effects on his immune system. Hopefully, approval for kids under 12 is around the corner.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
What a shit show, only reason for the booster is because we didnt hit the mark in time to make a meaningful impact on curbing this crap.

On top of the fact we are taking more while other countries still haven't even gotten a shot at getting enough 1st doses. This whole this Is because of the shitty ass divisions in this country where people pretty much are ignorant to how science works.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
So has there been actual data released to warrant a booster? The last I heard was that the companies where recommending them in their earnings call, not from released studies.

After the second shot fucked me up for like 24 hours, I'm not sure I'm thrilled to get another shot. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm against the concept of booster shots until the world hits over 50% fully vaccinated, but a selfish benefit is:

I am currently mixed and matched AstraZeneca + Moderna. There's been some issues with countries not recognising that as fully vaccinated, so some Canadians have been denied access. And while I'm not traveling yet at some point I will. So would love to get AZ + Moderna + Moderna.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
So has there been actual data released to warrant a booster? The last I heard was that the companies where recommending them in their earnings call, not from released studies.

After the second shot fucked me up for like 24 hours, I'm not sure I'm thrilled to get another shot. But sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

Yes, data from Israel. It's in the article in the OP.

NYT said:
Federal health officials have been particularly concerned about data from Israel suggesting that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine's protection against severe disease has fallen significantly for elderly people who got their second shot in January or February.

NYT said:
The latest Israeli data, posted on the government's website on Monday, shows what some experts described as continued erosion of the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine against mild or asymptomatic Covid-19 infections in general and against severe disease among the elderly who were vaccinated early in the year.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we can expect the 3rd shot to have the same beat down as the 2nd?