• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
"If I believed Tara Reade I wouldn't vote for me... But she's a liar and if you have any sense you won't believe her."

Yeah nice response there guys.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden 2020: I wouldn't vote for me

since you apparently can't get rid of Biden can somebody fire his PR team. fuck me.

Last edited:

tmtyf

Oct 27, 2017
I see you guys very optimistic about Trump getting the boot since Covid.

Are you sure? It doesn't look that way from the outside.
Everyone is hoping he gets the boot, i definitely see more people voting this time around, however I unfortunately think he is going to win again :(

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
lmao

If you really don't want my vote... I'm cowardly and will probably still vote, but fuck off.

Biden 2020: I wouldn't vote for me

since you apparently get rid of Biden can somebody fire his PR team. fuck me.

If only the people behind these mistakes, in every campaign, actually got treated how they deserved for their failures instead of being able to jump to another campaign...

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I was going to say I thought the Tara Reade stuff went away I haven't heard anyone talk about it offline in weeks it feels like.

I don't really see the problem. He is telling it like it is and sticking to his stance on defending women. Lay down your opinion and move on. You don't like him? Don't vote for him. It's no different than what people were claiming they were going to do anyway.

As far as "it's perfect attackmaterial"

It's only perfect ad material for people who think Trump is doing a great job with Covid and has no problems with any of his other policies. Imo. The people who were not going to vote for him already know about Tara Reade and believe her.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Biden is just saying that voters should vote their heart here, and that he wouldn't vote for a candidate if he believed a story like that. It's an assertion of his ethics on the matter.

Everyone has their own calculus here, and shouldn't feel bad about doing what they think is right.

Basically. And it will make people who don't believe Reade feel better about it. There's not much Biden can say here if he's to continue to proclaim innocence.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I was sorta irritated when he disappeared during the end of the primary, but now that he's the guy I see the value in keeping him away from the cameras.

Edit: but also, asking people to not vote for him worked out pretty well in the primary, and there's probably less undecideds in the general, so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden seems to think he's using the "would a guilty man say that?" strategy

personally, i'm not sure what he is supposed to say that could actually make him look better. At the same time people were pretty upset about the silence, as well.

lmao

If you really don't want my vote... I'm cowardly and will probably still vote, but fuck off.
It's not cowardly to vote dude

like, in this election especially, it takes courage to pull the lever for a guy you think is awful so we can defeat an even greater evil. You have to put aside your personal feelings and that's not easy for a lot of people to do.

Last edited:

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
The Supreme Court is at stake.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I meant, what else can Biden do at this point? He said he's innocent. She's said he's not. Public is a judge right now.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
It's even more immediate than that. There's a goddamn pandemic and this White House doesn't give a shit how many of us die.
I dont think it matters whos President for the pandemic when Congress is giving corporations bailouts instead of money to people to keep people home. The President doesnt control what idiot
Governors do with their states reopening and testing. While some go on vacations and don't wear masks in public.

The President defunding the response team doesnt change the idiots taking guns to state capitals, people
swarming to beaches with no repercussions, Karen throwing a fit at Red Lobster or Elon Musk being allowed to endanger his employees.
The President doesnt dictate what scientists do who are trying to make a vaccine.

There's sketchy shit going on with the virus across the world, Biden or Bernie or whoever you want to be President doesn't change the situation.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I dont think it matters whos President for the pandemic when Congress is giving corporations bailouts instead of money to people to keep people home. The President doesnt control what idiot
Governors do with their states reopening and testing. While some go on vacations and don't wear masks in public.

The President defunding the response team doesnt change the idiots taking guns to state capitals, people
swarming to beaches with no repercussions, Karen throwing a fit at Red Lobster or Elon Musk being allowed to endanger his employees.
The President doesnt dictate what scientists do who are trying to make a vaccine.

There's sketchy shit going on with the virus across the world, Biden or Bernie or whoever you want to be President doesn't change the situation.

Do you think the situation would be just as bad right now if Hillary were President?

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think the situation would be just as bad right now if Hillary were President?

would still be the same congress, passing (or, not passing, as the case may be) the same policies, stonewalling anything hillary might hypothetically want to do, and the same state governments ignoring science and pushing to reopen shit. trump is a symptom of the problem but it's a much, much deeper problem that predates him significantly.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best answer to that question he could have given. Goes a long way to make him look an honest and trustworthy candidate. Guarantee that his campaign has workshopped that answer for weeks and determined that it gains more support than it loses

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
As has been mentioned before, Reade has more corroborating evidence of her assault than most rape or sexual abuse victims ever will. If believing her is stupid, I imagine he feels that way about the rest of our experiences. This condescension just made an already loathsome man even more disgusting.

For real.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

I completely disagree. Competent leadership changes everything and Donald Trump is incompetent. Not only would Clinton, Sanders, or Biden be more competent in their response, but also Rubio, Jeb Bush, Kasich, and a majority of Trump's 2016 GOP competitors. Trump is uniquely designed to respond as worse as possible to an event like this, it's part of his personality, part of who he is, it's part of his character. And unlike other politicians he's dismantled the administrative state over 4 years so that fall back of even if you have a bad president the experts in Washington can step in to prevent a disaster, he's dismantled that because his unique brand of narcissism convinced him that those people who were looking out for us are actually working against him.

If Trump were a responsible president who took this seriously from the start, he wouldnt have intentionally avoided testing in the US. He wouldn't have turned down the WHO testing standards, adding months of lagtime to the CDC test development. Undoubtedly the US would have still had outbreaks in major travel zones, but they could have been contained and state health directors could have been prepared with testing. Instead, there were no tests for 2 months. We still have inadequate testing.

Trump was concerned more with the DJIA than public health. He thought stories about positive cases would shake markets -- which is true they did -- so instead of trying to prevent positive cases, he did everything in his power to prevent testing so that we couldn't confirm positive cases. This let the virus spread faster in the US than ANY OTHER COUNTY IN THE WORLD.

For the most part, governors have been EXCELLENT in this crisis, even many republican governors. But without Trump tweeting "LIBERATE!" and encouraging states to open you wouldn't have governor's like Brian Kemp forcing Georgia to open or governors refusing to issue stay at home orders like DeSantis in Florida. These governors took their cues from Donald Trump.

There's a reason why the gun nuts storming state capitols all wave Trump banners: because top members of the 2016 Trump campaign, 2020 campaign, and people in the trump administration are organizing and financing these protests. The Michigan protest, by far the most influential and the largest early protest, was organized online and financed by Betsy Devos' brother, the Trump megadonor who got Devos added to the Trump cabinet.

The trump administration has been an antagonist to the states. States have had to form mini federations to coordinate testing, medical supplies, PPE, and other critical infrastructure because the federal government at the direction of Donald Trump and his coronavirus team has actively worked against states and treated them as enemy.

With PPE, the Trump admin turned down a contract to produce 2million N95 masks per week on January 22. They repeatedly turned that down despite that the order would have been $0.79/mask. Instead they waited until April 20 to sign a contract paying $5.50/ea to Honeywell. 3 months later at 6x the cost to taxpayers while nurses and doctors have had to put trashbags on their faces to survive. Why? Because Trump thought it would be bad optics and rattle the markets. He's saying on January 20 that it's fully contained, that president Xi has done a tremendous job, that the virus is no worse than the flu, that it'll go away like magic with the warm weather. So he tells his administration not to start ordering masks because it'll look bad, it'll look like a contradiction if everything is fine and yet the government is ordering masks. And here we are. Still a national shortage of masks and PPE. Children are making masks at home because Trump refused to prepare the country when he knew the virus was a threat.

And then of course you just have the day to day idiocy. Trump's obsession with miracle cures, hydroxychloroquine, shooting uv Ray's into the body, injecting bleach ... His promises that it will magically go away. His months of saying it was a hoax. Networks like Fox and OAN take their lead from Trump because Trump is their god king and even if his administration -- Fauci and others -- say "stay inside, this is dangerous, this is deadly" -- Trump undermines them and those networks magnify that message to tens of millions of people.

It's worth repeating: the US is the worst country in the world for the Coronavirus outbreak. Every European country, even the ones that handled it poorly or got blinded early like Italy and Spain, have been better than the US.

These deaths are Trump's deaths. There would have been some deaths regardless of who the president is, but we're going to lead the world in deaths because of Donald Trump and his incompetent, unprepared, self-obsessed, conspiracy minded lack of leadership. Coronavirus should *not* be a partisan issue. It should not be a nativist issue. It's a virus. It's not human. But Trump cannot think of anything in any other terms than me vs them. He thinks of the world as zero sum, that if you're doing well then he's doing poorly. And that's created this partisan death cult that exists in no other industrialized modern democracy but the United States.

Just simply competence goes a long way. Trump is devoid of competence.

Your opinion on this is sad and uninformed. It's populist to a fault. It chases know-nothingism. "there's sketchy shit in the world" therefore nobody is to blame and everybody is to blame, so why blame anybody? Why think that anybody could do better, despite that every competent leader in the United States *has* done better and the president is uniquely incompetent.

Last edited:

Ralph

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone think of a better response?

This question was asked a few times in this thread already and has been ignored.

efr

Banned
Jun 19, 2019
I completely disagree. Competent leadership changes everything and Donald Trump is incompetent. Not only would Clinton, Sanders, or Biden be more competent in their response, but also Rubio, Jeb Bush, Kasich, and a majority of Trump's 2016 GOP competitors. Trump is uniquely designed to respond as worse as possible to an event like this, it's part of his personality, part of who he is, it's part of his character. And unlike other politicians he's dismantled the administrative state over 4 years so that fall back of even if you have a bad president the experts in Washington can step in to prevent a disaster, he's dismantled that because his unique brand of narcissism convinced him that those people who were looking out for us are actually working against him.

If Trump were a responsible president who took this seriously from the start, he wouldnt have intentionally avoided testing in the US. He wouldn't have turned down the WHO testing standards, adding months of lagtime to the CDC test development. Undoubtedly the US would have still had outbreaks in major travel zones, but they could have been contained and state health directors could have been prepared with testing. Instead, there were no tests for 2 months.

Trump was concerned more with the DJIA than public health. He thought stories about positive cases would shake markets -- which is true they did -- so instead of trying to prevent positive cases, he did everything in his power to prevent testing so that we couldn't confirm positive cases. This let the virus spread faster in the US than ANY OTHER COUNTY IN THE WORLD.

For the most part, governors have been EXCELLENT in this crisis, even many republican governors. But without Trump tweeting "LIBERATE!" and encouraging states to open you wouldn't have governor's like Brian Kemp forcing Georgia to open or governors refusing to issue stay at home orders like DeSantis in Florida. These governors took their cues from Donald Trump.

There's a reason why the gun nuts storming state capitols all wave Trump banners: because top members of the 2016 Trump campaign, 2020 campaign, and people in the trump administration are organizing and financing these protests. The Michigan protest, by far the most influential and the largest early protest, was organized online and financed by Betsy Devos' brother, the Trump megadonor who got Devos added to the Trump cabinet.

The trump administration has been an antagonist to the states. States have had to form mini federations to coordinate testing, medical supplies, PPE, and other critical infrastructure because the federal government at the direction of Donald Trump and his coronavirus team has actively worked against states and treated them as enemies.

And then of course you just have the day to day idiocy. Trump's obsession with miracle cures, hydroxychloroquine, shooting uv Ray's into the body, injecting bleach ... His promises that it will magically go away. His months of saying it was a hoax. Networks like Fox and OAN take their lead from Trump because Trump is their god king and even if his administration -- Fauci and others -- say "stay inside, this is dangerous, this is deadly" -- Trump undermines them and those networks magnify that message to tens of millions of people.

It's worth repeating: the US is the worst country in the world for the Coronavirus outbreak. Every European country, even the ones that handled it poorly or got blinded early like Italy and Spain, have been better than the US.

These deaths are Trump's deaths. There would have been some deaths regardless of who the president is, but we're going to lead the world in deaths because of Donald Trump and his incompetent, unprepared, self-obsessed, conspiracy minded lack of leadership. Coronavirus should *not* be a partisan issue. It should not be a nativist issue. It's a virus. It's not human. But Trump cannot think of anything in any other terms than me vs them. He thinks of the world as zero sum, that if you're doing well then he's doing poorly. And that's created this partisan death cult that exists in no other industrialized modern democracy but the United States.

Just simply competence goes a long way. Trump is devoid of competence.
You dont think these Trump supporters exist without Trump? You dont think NeoNazis exist without him?
You dont think people flock to the beaches and storm state capitals(ran by women governors fyi) regardless who the President is?
You think its easy to lockdown 328 million people versus Italy, who has 60 mil?
You think locking down NYC is easy?
You think Trump cant push his agenda on Twitter without being President? You think Congress shows up for work instead of being cowards at home and spreading the virus like Rand Paul did, if Hilary is President?

Trump is a symptom of another virus called the GOP.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm dropping out and will not be the Democratic candidate come November."
Some people here need to remember there is no push for Biden to drop out outside of very small internet circles. There is no actual movement or push for him to drop out. He has very strong favorability ratings with Democrats.

It's important to step outside the social media circle sometimes and realize things Biden says that people find outrageous here are things the vast majority of Democrat voters almost certainly do not.

Oct 28, 2017
"How DARE Joe Biden tell me not to vote for him when I wasn't going to vote for him anyway. What a moron!"

"Doesn't he realize every vote counts!"

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
This isn't another Biden gaffe. That's literally all he could say without walking back the "Believe women" thing. Of course, him still running contradicts the goals of all the movements created during the MeToo era, but that's par for the course of liberal politics. If the dems are good at one thing, it's gestures and poses to oppressed groups without ever having to follow through. They've been toeing the line surprisingly well given how strong the accusations from Tara have become.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
Some people here need to remember there is no push for Biden to drop out outside of very small internet circles. There is no actual movement or push for him to drop out. He has very strong favorability ratings with Democrats.

It's important to step outside the social media circle sometimes and realize things Biden says that people find outrageous here are things the vast majority of Democrat voters almost certainly do not.
This is true, but it's unfortunate that one of these things that mainstream Democrat voters don't care about is the rape of a woman.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true, but it's unfortunate that one of these things that mainstream Democrat voters don't care about is the rape of a woman.
I would say most Democrats care about rape. I would say it looks like mainstream Democrats (included 99% of elected officials in the party) do not appear to believe Tara Reade's story given how the story has not dented Biden's popularity at all.

messiaen

Banned
Apr 23, 2018

Polls say otherwise. And given the mass media treatment of this story.

youtu.be

NEW POLL finds If Reade allegations true, voters say Biden should remove himself from the ticket

On today's What America's Thinking, CEO and head pollster of HarrisX, Dritan Nesho, joins Hill TV to discuss new polling on the Tara Reade allegations. In th...

youtu.be

Krystal and Saagar: Reporting shows hypocrisy on Biden #MeToo allegation could cost Dems Senate seat

Krystal and Saagar discuss Dems efforts to unseat GOP Sen. Susan Collins, but MeToo record makes it challenging for Sara Gideon.About Rising: Rising is a wee...

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
What is with this guy and telling people to not vote for him?
It looks like when my company gets asked to make a Proof of Concept for something we don't want to do (because it's old tech or it's not very profitable):

"Look we would do it this way, but it's really expensive, it doesn't benefit you very much, if you really want to achieve that goal you should probably ask someone else"

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing for people to say "I believed he raped Tara but I'm willing to look beyond that for the greater good". I rarely see this said. All too common it's been reflexive, clumsy and apathetic dismissal of Tara that not only minimizes her but all victims that have less to say for themselves that Tara herself has. It's been subtle and not so subtle, conscious and unconscious victim blaming to shore up the denial over Biden's liabilities. The two approaches are melded together without much differentiation and the toxic chilling effect of the latter needs to be addressed before it's too late and "actually fuck inconvenient victims" becomes the path of least resistance for the entire party moving forward.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polls say otherwise. And given the mass media treatment of this story.

youtu.be

NEW POLL finds If Reade allegations true, voters say Biden should remove himself from the ticket

On today's What America's Thinking, CEO and head pollster of HarrisX, Dritan Nesho, joins Hill TV to discuss new polling on the Tara Reade allegations. In th...

youtu.be

Krystal and Saagar: Reporting shows hypocrisy on Biden #MeToo allegation could cost Dems Senate seat

Krystal and Saagar discuss Dems efforts to unseat GOP Sen. Susan Collins, but MeToo record makes it challenging for Sara Gideon.About Rising: Rising is a wee...
You linked to a poll about a hypothetical. "If true...". The response from the public has not been a belief in the story, just look at how every major elected Democrat in the country says they don't believe it happened. Given Biden's head to head match-up against Trump and his personal favorables have not taken a hit.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Trump attacking Biden for rape considering his own allegations would be one of the most batshit insane things to do.

So I ABSOLUTELY expect him to do it.
It's amazing to me, that people still believe the Republicans are not going to be weaponizing this to kingdom come. Especially when they have already started.
Not going to signal boost the YouTube attack ad itself, but it is linked in this article. The GOP is going to go hard on this, as is Trump himself, to think otherwise seems naive to me.
thehill.com

Trump campaign goes after Biden with new ad on Tara Reade allegations

President Trump’s reelection campaign released an online attack ad Friday against former Vice President Joe Biden zeroing in on the sexual assault allegations against the presumptive Democratic nom…

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Given that he's claiming to be innocent and he's not gonna thrash Reade, this is pretty much the best answer he could have given.

Right, but if you claim to care about it, but find ways to compartmentalize it when it's convenient, you do not really care about it.

Or you could look at it like a Trolley problem with Reade on one track and millions of people on the other. Heck, the main reason the original Trolley problem was a problem at all was because it only had 5 people on the other track. Reality can be nuanced at times.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Do you think Hilary would have a vaccine by now?
Do you think selfish people would stay home?

The idea that the President has no impact on a nation's pandemic response is demonstrably stupid and I find it had to believe you're arguing this sincerely.

You only have to look at the total abandonment of national coordination, "the federal government is a supplier of last resort", "we're not a shipping clerk", "this is our stockpile", states having to form alliances with each other, refusal to implement checks on airport arrivals, or fuck even the rise in people ingesting Lysol to realise the impact the president has.

I was going to say I thought the Tara Reade stuff went away I haven't heard anyone talk about it offline in weeks it feels like.

I don't really see the problem. He is telling it like it is...

That trait does not have a good association.

As far as "it's perfect attackmaterial"

It's only perfect ad material for people who think Trump is doing a great job with Covid and has no problems with any of his other policies. Imo. The people who were not going to vote for him already know about Tara Reade and believe her.

This claim is baseless. It'd be easy to make an effective attack ad laying out all the evidence of Reade's story, tactically not mentioning Trump but pivoting it to how it's ok not to give your endorsement by voting, and then ending it with "don't take our word for it, ask Biden" and playing the clip.

Last edited:

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
A very reasonable take from Smilin' Joe Biden.

Straight from the horses mouth: Anybody who believes Tara Reade, anyone who thinks that women who report sexual assaults should be believed, should not vote for Joe Biden.