• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Say what you want about nbc but Samantha Guthrie did a phenomenal job. Trump the Crazy Uncle should become a thing

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Its done through Nielsen's boxes that they offer to people to install in their homes to track what they watch. And I think they flesh it out with further surveys. It's an imperfect system but tons of advertisers take it super seriously.
I think streaming devices can also collect data if you didn't opt out of it. So you may not need to be a traditional Nielson house to get counted anymore. Roku is one example.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Trump defeated the fake news bigly though:

Serious question, has there been any other presidential campaign that's been so eye-rollingly unprofessional about things like debates and town halls? I was only really old enough to pay serious attention to politics in the 2008 election, but I can't remember the Obama, McCain, Romney, or Clinton campaigns declaring "We WON and EVERYONE KNOWS IT" like the Trump campaign does any time he does anything. It's some seriously pathetic shit.

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, I think Trump's main goal was to detract as many as he could..10mil? Seems good.

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, has there been any other presidential campaign that's been so eye-rollingly unprofessional about things like debates and town halls? I was only really old enough to pay serious attention to politics in the 2008 election, but I can't remember the Obama, McCain, Romney, or Clinton campaigns declaring "We WON and EVERYONE KNOWS IT" like the Trump campaign does any time he does anything. It's some seriously pathetic shit.
No

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised but please from a .. petty point of view. I figured the train wreck of Trump would get more eyeballs, but glad just because of how much this means to him.

I don't think Trump will believe this, though. He still believes he won the first debate, like genuinely believes it. He genuinely believes his inauguration crowds were the largest ever.
I think people maybe have had enough of train wreck. They've had train wreck for the last four years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I think people maybe have had enough of train wreck. They've had train wreck for the last four years.

Yeah that's true, there's an exhaustion point. Hell, I'm like ultra tapped in and just decided not to watch either town hall but to read about them later.

Saw a tweet last night where someone wrote about tuning into Trump on NBC and having your heart rate go up; tuning into Biden on ABC and having it go down, and wouldn't it be nice to have a president who doesn't make your heart rate go up for 4 years.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
🤔 didn't know that.
Yup partnership from 2018, along with a lot of other metering companies. The rapid dumping of cable and adoption of digital streaming devices created a lucrative opportunity for them, I'm sure.

www.nexttv.com

Roku Teams with Nielsen, comScore and Others for New ‘Measurement Partner Program’

With viewership increasing rapidly on its ad-based platform, and lacking tools to effectively measure it, Roku said it is partnering with 11 research companies to count eyeballs across the entire “mar

Oct 25, 2017
Nielsen ratings don't capture streaming and if this person was a Nielsen participant I'm pretty sure they only count it as one household no matter how many TV's are on.

In some markets it's conducted by something that looks like a beeper from the 90s and each person above I want to say 7 gets one, so everyone is tracked. The broadcasts emit signals that are picked up by it.

Source- we were a neilsen family in 2019. It just became too obnoxious to keep track of the meter especially for my wife and then 8 year old.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised but please from a .. petty point of view. I figured the train wreck of Trump would get more eyeballs, but glad just because of how much this means to him.

I don't think Trump will believe this, though. He still believes he won the first debate, like genuinely believes it. He genuinely believes his inauguration crowds were the largest ever.

The problem with his campaign is that these fantasies are driving strategy and tactics. It's the cost of getting high on your own supply.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
If there was a story like this for Trump getting higher ratings he would tweet it and proclaim how great he is in a heartbeat.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Trump will just claim shenanigans like he always does when reality hits... But at least we dont have to hear him talk about winning.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think we all really understand, trump will spin this in his mind to make his fantasy of being loved true. His mind will gymnastics and make this a win. I'm not saying don't celebrate, I'm saying don't think this will effect him.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope the 10.4 million who willingly exposed themselves to that get well soon.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
If there was a story like this for Trump getting higher ratings he would tweet it and proclaim how great he is in a heartbeat.
His ratings on TV have always been his personal barometer of success that he would flaunt the most because he thought it was undeniable proof that he was popular.

So, he is definitely fucking fuming right about now and probably blowing out the backside of his diaper.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
I think streaming devices can also collect data if you didn't opt out of it. So you may not need to be a traditional Nielson house to get counted anymore. Roku is one example.
You are right. Back before I had gotten married, my ex gf and her two kids plus myself all recieved these little beeper like devices that we were to carry on our person at all times. This was used to monitor our media habits, and we also filled out a questionnaire weekly online. It was any easy $200+ bucks to participate.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
He'll claim that "online views" made him have millions more, then capitalize some short declaration.

As far as Youtube is concerned, Biden pulled more viewers than Trump online as well:

variety.com

TV Ratings: Biden Wins Town Hall Duel With Trump

Joe Biden beat Donald Trump in the town hall ratings tussle, drawing 14.1 million viewers to Trump's 13.5 million.

There were already some signs last night that the Biden session might prove more popular, as the ABC telecast accrued more viewers than its rival on the live YouTube stream.

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
In some markets it's conducted by something that looks like a beeper from the 90s and each person above I want to say 7 gets one, so everyone is tracked. The broadcasts emit signals that are picked up by it.

Source- we were a neilsen family in 2019. It just became too obnoxious to keep track of the meter especially for my wife and then 8 year old.
Interesting, thanks for the insight. So it wasn't just Nielsen drops the box off and your part is done? You had to actively participate too?